2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Make that 2011 (!)
2012, actually. Purchased at the end of 2011. 2.0T Limited, with Navigation. Loaded out the ass. Still cheaper than any comparable Accord. Year for year, the Hyundai Sonata had a bigger trunk, panoramic sunroof, heated rear seats, a bit more horsepower, a bit more torque, and waaaaay better looks, all for less money. 150,000km, and showing no signs of stopping! Near flawless reliability thus far, and man, that 2.0T torque, when passing on the single lane mountain highways was a god send. I'd pass a car, look down and be like "oh, I'm doing 160km/h. Speed limit is only 90." They seize cars if you get caught doing more than 50 over

Honestly, such a fantastic purchase. The SO and I have put on near 100,000 miles, I've literally used it as a work truck while developing my basement and doing landscaping (hauling sod in the trunk.. I ain't taking my cars. :tongue), and the car has never skipped a beat. Just basic maintenance and one out of pocket repair that was like ~150 or something. Oh and the fuel economy is nothing to scoff at, either. Driving to Calgary at like 130km/h all the way, and the car displays 7.2L/100 km.

You should try one out, maybe buy one. You might really be surprised what Hyundai can offer, especially when compared to your TLX.

Last edited by TacoBello; 09-15-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Red face

[QUOTE
You should try one out, maybe buy one. You might really be surprised what Hyundai can offer, especially when compared to your TLX. [/QUOTE]
With all my respect to you and Brand Hyundai...I won't even compare Hyundai to Honda, Mazda, Toyota and/or Nissan. So Forget Acura and the rest Hyundai is a great brand and I have nothing against it. It's the same to me saying that don't buy a pair of Diesel or AG jeans. WaMart sells great quality jeans with great price

sorry I had hijack the conversation.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy305
Yes. Red interior is available on the dark gray.

I still think if the rims were black or maybe just a little darker the car would look perfect. Doesnt look bad now...its just that I like to have a contract between the rims and car itself.
Also, these cars wre outdoor and it had rain dirt all over...so Im sure if it was in the showroom it would have a different shine to it.
They had the grey Aspec with Red interior in the showroom at my local dealer. While I have never been a fan of red interiors the grey/red combo is absolutely amazing. So much so that I don't even think I would consider getting the grey with black interior. The contrast with the dark grey and red leather was so nice it would be my choice if I did things over again. They didn't have that combo on the lot when I ordered the blue/black.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
This thread is for 2018 A-Spec Reviews - please keep the conversations in the subforums on topic and civil. Plenty of room in the Car Talk forum for general conversation.
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (09-16-2017), slimm1469 (09-21-2017), wlkeel (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
They had the grey Aspec with Red interior in the showroom at my local dealer. While I have never been a fan of red interiors the grey/red combo is absolutely amazing. So much so that I don't even think I would consider getting the grey with black interior. The contrast with the dark grey and red leather was so nice it would be my choice if I did things over again. They didn't have that combo on the lot when I ordered the blue/black.
yeah, I saw that combo today also and had the same thoughts.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Finally had a chance to watch Alex's review of the TLX. Although one could quibble about which cars he used for comparison, I like the idea of comparing cars by features and by price points, given that those are two important criteria for many buyers. I also appreciated his objectivity and fact based analysis of the TLX and how it compares favourably, or not, in terms of certain aspects to other models. I would suggest that anyone considering a TLX should start with this review, and then watch his other reviews of other models under consideration. I did appreciate his comments on the Acura 8 speed DCT
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (09-25-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Finally had a chance to watch Alex's review of the TLX. Although one could quibble about which cars he used for comparison, I like the idea of comparing cars by features and by price points, given that those are two important criteria for many buyers. I also appreciated his objectivity and fact based analysis of the TLX and how it compares favourably, or not, in terms of certain aspects to other models. I would suggest that anyone considering a TLX should start with this review, and then watch his other reviews of other models under consideration. I did appreciate his comments on the Acura 8 speed DCT
Agreed. In a sea of youtube auto-reviewers Alex is one of, if not the, best one out there.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:10 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Probably the worst review Ive read of the car. She really fails to mention any of the cars positive qualities at all like the standard Acurawatch, LED lights, Carplay/AA, even other variants of the car. She does make so good points but after she mentioned the brakes and the different modes, I kinda gave up.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
That's odd. I've been driving the car for three months and I've not noticed touchy brakes. Maybe it was all that water she was driving through which by her own admission kept her from driving the car aggressively. As to the interior, i happen to like it. She doesn't mention the driver's assists that would add thousands to any other car's sticker then dings the interior because it's not sufficiently opulent for how she feels luxury car should look. Alll the while leaving the impression that she has no practical experience in that regard. I owned a 2006 Acura. The interior in the Aspec is modern with quality materials and absolutely stellar fit and finish.

It behooves me what other car she expects to purchase with all the Aspec's features for $45,000. I agree though that the car is a bit off a poser. As I've said before it looks like it should have 350 HP and giant brakes. But, then it probably be $3,000 more expensive.

My main objection is that she didn't really review the car from the standpoint of the car. She reviewed it from the standpoint of what she thought it should be without considering the real world cost of her "ideal" sports sedan. Funny that she never addresses the transmission operation outside of comments about the paddle shifters. That's what irks me about some reviewers. There's this attitude that if the car meets their performance requirements who cares that it cost $60,000. That's simply not a practical position for most people to take. $60 large is a lot of money.

Last edited by Honda430; 09-22-2017 at 07:07 PM.
mapleloaf (09-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I don't know if the "lurching" she's experiencing is the transmission in Sport +. I haven't figured out why, but it behaves that way for me when coming to a stop. I just assumed it was the transmission downshifting. It's not smooth at all. Sport mode doesn't do this.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
My 2015 did the lurching thing in sports +. My Aspec simply doesn't drop revs fast enough when coming to a stop which forces me to have to brake harder to get the car to stop. She though refers to it as touchy brakes in both sport and sport + mode. You'd think she'd realize it was the transmission and not the breaks. As you stated there's absolutely no issues in sport mode. I really do think it had something to do with all the water she was driving through.

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I don't know if the "lurching" she's experiencing is the transmission in Sport +. I haven't figured out why, but it behaves that way for me when coming to a stop. I just assumed it was the transmission downshifting. It's not smooth at all. Sport mode doesn't do this.

Last edited by Honda430; 09-22-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Or it could be that shes barely out of high school and has no idea what shes talking about lol.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
Or it could be that shes barely out of high school and has no idea what shes talking about lol.
Pretty much this. Expecting a college student to be able to provide an insightful review on cars is about as fair as expecting a 16 year old to be able to give you some solid sex tips.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
A great review for you guys. Honestly, sometimes it’s not even fun to read people spending hours of their time justifying that TLX isn’t a good car.
I enjoyed reading the following review. I think it’s honest, informative and to the point for serious buyers.

2018 Acura TLX A-Spec V6 Test Drive Review
The following 5 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
a35tl (09-24-2017), mapleloaf (09-26-2017), SebringSilver (09-24-2017), slimm1469 (09-29-2017), UNCMo96 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as the Jalopnik review, I'm not sure why she felt the need to insult people who would buy this car.

"I spent a long time thinking on the buyer for this car—who the person might be, their goals in a daily driver, and things along those lines. Toward the end of my week with the car, I realized: The A-Spec is for the person who wants sporty, young looks out of a vehicle, but doesn’t want all of that packed into the car.

And that’s a fine person to be. It isn’t the type of person you’d probably run into at a car meet or stuffing their face with ice cream to numb the pain of losing America’s V8, manual Chevy SS sedan, but it’s someone who wants all of their friends to think they have good taste in stylish cars without actually wanting the performance that comes with that taste."

"The only problem with the A-Spec for that kind of buyer is the price point. It’s perfect for someone who doesn’t want to do the research or spend the time testing new cars to see which one is the best value for the money, because it really is bare on the inside for a $46,000 car. Worst of all, it makes the cardinal sin of being a poser car—something that looks like a sport sedan, but really is not. And that’s something we find unforgivable."

Maybe I'm a little punchy since the review came out literally 2 days after i bought the car. I do think there is a difference (looks aside) between the A Spec trim and base. You can feel the firmer suspension and increased responsiveness in the steering and the gear ratios are definitely turned up. I drove both models within 2 hours of each other. I remember thinking after driving the non A-Spec that I might have to cross the TLX off my list. However, the A-spec did have more sportiness which sold me on the car.

It's funny that she rails against poser cars. Most folks who buy the German cars around here (and I would imagine everywhere) are doing it for the badge appeal and are not doing it out of some performance hunger. Back when I bought my 335 I would say most bmws sold were the 328 and not the 335. I don't buy the car for my friends. The car is for me. If I really need my car to impress my friends with my car then I have bigger issues (like maybe I need new friends!).

Finally, she talks about the car being "bare" inside for 46,000. I challenge her to find a similiarly equipped car that goes for under $50,000 with all the features in the A Spec.
a35tl (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

You can feel the firmer suspension and increased responsiveness in the steering and the gear ratios are definitely turned up.
Are you sure it's not just revised throttle settings? AFAIK the A-Spec uses the exact same transmission as any other V6 TLX.

Originally Posted by UNCMo96
Finally, she talks about the car being "bare" inside for 46,000. I challenge her to find a similiarly equipped car that goes for under $50,000 with all the features in the A Spec.
Did you check out the A4? It's well under $50K, and while it's a little down on horsepower, it has more usable torque and is considerably faster to 60. More importantly, the interior is the bee's knees. The Audi Virtual Cockpit makes the Acura setup look 10 years old, and the infotainment system is heads and shoulders better.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-24-2017 at 11:00 PM.
pyrodan007 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Are you sure it's not just revised throttle settings? AFAIK the A-Spec uses the exact same transmission as any other V6 TLX.

Did you check out the A4? It's well under $50K, and while it's a little down on horsepower, it has more usable torque and is considerably faster to 60. More importantly, the interior is the bee's knees. The Audi Virtual Cockpit makes the Acura setup look 10 years old, and the infotainment system is heads and shoulders better.
It’s definitely not “just revised throttle settings”. Suspension components and steering ratio are different for the A-Spec.

As for the Virtual Cockpit, I have a brand new 2018 Audi TTS, and while it is very cool to look at, the Acura’s is definitely not “10 years old” by comparison. It just looks like plenty of other cars’ infotainment systems, and the two screen set-up is in fact being adopted by more and more manufacturers. I would argue Apple CarPlay is better integrated in the TLX than it is in the Audi. I should also point out the Audi dealer gave me a brand new S4 to drive last week. The engine is powerful and the S-Tronic is brilliant, but it isn’t a perfect car either. The whole car had orange peel effect on the paint, and it came with Hankook tires (wtf??). The signal range for the key fob is also no where near as good as that for the TLX. And there’s no Walk Away Autolock. I wouldn’t take an A4 over the A-Spec, but an S4 after paint correction and riding on Michelins or Continentals I would consider.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
a35tl (09-25-2017), slimm1469 (09-25-2017), steve_97060 (09-30-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
It’s definitely not “just revised throttle settings”. Suspension components and steering ratio are different for the A-Spec.
I'm referring specifically to the "gear ratios", not the suspension or steering ratios. Acura has said the latter two are different, but has said nothing about the transmission being any different.

And to your point about the virtual cockpit, yes, it's very nice to look at, which means it would have likely prevented complaints from the reviewer about the interior being "bare" had the TLX had something like that. There's a reason why few reviews complain about Audi interiors.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-25-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:21 AM

As far as the Jalopnik review, I'm not sure why she felt the need to insult people who would buy this car.

Maybe I'm a little punchy since the review came out literally 2 days after i bought the car. I do think there is a difference (looks aside) between the A Spec trim and base. You can feel the firmer suspension and increased responsiveness in the steering and the gear ratios are definitely turned up. I drove both models within 2 hours of each other. I remember thinking after driving the non A-Spec that I might have to cross the TLX off my list. However, the A-spec did have more sportiness which sold me on the car.
I find it best to stop reading the reviews after you make a purchase - there are always those with different opinions. Jalopnik's reviewers (and some other reviewers) at times try to be irreverent and trollish to get people worked up - not saying this is the case here but bottom line it's just one persons opinion.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 09-25-2017 at 07:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
mapleloaf (09-26-2017), slimm1469 (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The Jalopnik review was, um, a bit incomplete and not quite accurate, IMHO.

1. "Huge"? This car is, by no means, a large car. The RLX is large and, after three months in the TLX A-Spec, I have a better appreciataion of what large is.

2. She doesn't identify which drive mode she was in when she was complaining of a sluggish transmission. If it was in Econ or Normal mode, the transmission is sluggish. The writer should have identified this. I commented on it in another thread.

Otherwise, she concentrated on some facts.

3. She hates the push button transmission, which for many is a love it or hate it proposition. I like the idea of keeping your hands on the wheel. However, her entire paragraph on that was unnecessarily insulting.

4. SH-AWD is something even a person who writes this caliber of poor review can appreciate.

5. Yes, A-Spec is an appearance package with some sporty tweaks

6. No, A-Spec is not a sports car.

Overall, I didn't think the review met Jalopnik's usual quality. The writing was poor and spending time insulting the buyers of the car does not endear one to you, which is what bothered me most about the review. This writer is clearly at the beginning of her career and needs some guidance on what people want out of a review, and further she needs to know how to work basic controls in the car. The review is certainly out of the norm of what we've seen as far as reviews for this car, so far.

Yeesh.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (09-25-2017), Nexx (09-28-2017), Speed_Racer (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I find it best to stop reading the reviews after you make a purchase - there are always those with different opinions. Jalopnik's reviewers (and some other reviewers) at times try to be irreverent and trollish to get people worked up - not saying this is the case here but bottom line it's just one persons opinion.
I agree.I usually like reading Jalopnik. I just thought she was so off base. It's one thing if she said, this car may not satisfy an enthusiast but regular folks who want a sporty car with a little extra pep will be happy. However, I rarely see a reviewer mock people who buy a car.

As far as the Audi, comparably equipped again would be in the 50s. Also, there's the reliability factor (supposedly Audi has improved on this).
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Also, there's the reliability factor (supposedly Audi has improved on this).
Audi runs circles around Acura for reliability, but cost to fix is another thing entirely.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Audi runs circles around Acura for reliability, but cost to fix is another thing entirely.
I'm looking into my other options but have only owned Honda/Acura's. The low maintenance cost is a huge factor and reason I still prefer Acura. My 2010 TL hasn't had any issues as I've kept up with the cheap regular maintenance. I've been looking into Audi, Mercedes, and even Jaguar but have a feeling that my reliability and costs will go up quite a bit. Anyone have thoughts? If I went with a 1 year old version of those brands and keep the car for at least 5 years, how screwed will I be? This forum has been getting really negative on the TLX and Acura but the fact remains that for the price (realistically the A-Spec needs to be around 40K) the Acura TLX is a solid deal. The more I read the forum comments the more I feel that people are talking me out of a brand I love.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jhole99
I'm looking into my other options but have only owned Honda/Acura's. The low maintenance cost is a huge factor and reason I still prefer Acura. My 2010 TL hasn't had any issues as I've kept up with the cheap regular maintenance. I've been looking into Audi, Mercedes, and even Jaguar but have a feeling that my reliability and costs will go up quite a bit. Anyone have thoughts? If I went with a 1 year old version of those brands and keep the car for at least 5 years, how screwed will I be? This forum has been getting really negative on the TLX and Acura but the fact remains that for the price (realistically the A-Spec needs to be around 40K) the Acura TLX is a solid deal. The more I read the forum comments the more I feel that people are talking me out of a brand I love.
I still love my 2.4 TLX. In my mind it's a super nice Honda Accord (I've owned 5 Accords) which has cost me a total of $200 in maintenance over 3 years. Still looks like new and every once in a while someone will give me a "nice car" comment. Not that I care about that (if I did I would have bought a different badge) but it's fun when it happens.

Frankly if I wanted a sports car I wouldn't have bought the TLX - I would have gone with a nicely used Cayman or Corvette. I set out to buy a Lexus except I couldn't get past the God Awful grill and "old man" interior styling. BMW or Mercedes don't really interest me (I like to buy my cars and keep them for a while) and I'm not wild about Audi's designs - although I get that many people like them. If could go in a time machine I would buy the same car again.

The Internet is the wild wild west and people can pretty much say (over and over) whatever they want - we all have our own opinions. I wouldn't let a handful of anonymous people influence what's right for you in any way. Drive one, drive a couple, drive all the other brands and buy the car that best fits your needs/wants. Don't listen to the noise.
The following 11 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (09-25-2017), F23A4 (09-26-2017), Jhole99 (09-25-2017), mapleloaf (09-26-2017), neuronbob (09-25-2017), Nexx (09-28-2017), Speed_Racer (09-25-2017), TAG18 (09-25-2017), Tony Pac (09-25-2017), UNCMo96 (09-25-2017), wlkeel (09-26-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhole99
You shouldn't let the negative posts that you see here kick you out completely of buying a car you may be interested on.
I have been here for years reading monthly and since the TLX release almost daily. You will definitely get a lot of valuable information here. However, you will see that there is a group of ex owners/current owners that had (or are having) bad experiences with their TLXs.
Although I can completely understand their frustration, I'm able to identify who these negative posters are and most of their negative comments are the same ones over and over again. I have nothing against them, they do provide good information; but you have to take it as is: simply information.
The concensus seems to be that the 15-17 models have issues with transmission, engine vibrations, and some technological shortcomings as well. I'm sure I'm missing some. Some had issues with the Acura Service or lack of it when bringing the cars for service. Some even reached out to corporate only to have bad experiences as well.
Regardless, if you survey current ASpec owners seems like most issues have been addressed. Although the engine and transmission is still the same, some owners still want more HP. Thats where you have to take your personal requirements on what your car should have and what you can live without.

Im not an ASpec owner, but I can honestly say that I have read, watched and researched this car more than any of my previous purchases; and for that I actually thank some of those "negative" posters. I plan on purchasing around December thanks to the input of posters here as well. The car meets all my current needs. I'm 36, with a one year old. I do want a car that feels somewhat luxurious that feels good when you drive it. Horse power? 290 is good enough for me. Safety features? Acura has the best bundle for the price. Looks? The car looks much better in person. I'll be the first to tell you I was not impressed at all from pictures.

At the end, you should always do your own research and most importantly test drive it. Listen to what people here are saying but also learn to differentiate between the car's shortcomings and people's attacks on Acura.
The following 6 users liked this post by Sloppy305:
a35tl (09-25-2017), mapleloaf (09-26-2017), pyrodan007 (09-25-2017), Speed_Racer (09-25-2017), steve_97060 (09-30-2017), TAG18 (09-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I still love my 2.4 TLX. In my mind it's a super nice Honda Accord (I've owned 5 Accords) which has cost me a total of $200 in maintenance over 3 years. Still looks like new and every once in a while someone will give me a "nice car" comment. Not that I care about that (if I did I would have bought a different badge) but it's fun when it happens.

Frankly if I wanted a sports car I wouldn't have bought the TLX - I would have gone with a nicely used Cayman or Corvette. I set out to buy a Lexus except I couldn't get past the God Awful grill and "old man" interior styling. BMW or Mercedes don't really interest me (I like to buy my cars and keep them for a while) and I'm not wild about Audi's designs - although I get that many people like them. If could go in a time machine I would buy the same car again.

The Internet is the wild wild west and people can pretty much say (over and over) whatever they want - we all have our own opinions. I wouldn't let a handful of anonymous people influence what's right for you in any way. Drive one, drive a couple, drive all the other brands and buy the car that best fits your needs/wants. Don't listen to the noise.
Fantastic post.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sloppy305
You shouldn't let the negative posts that you see here kick you out completely of buying a car you may be interested on.
I have been here for years reading monthly and since the TLX release almost daily. You will definitely get a lot of valuable information here. However, you will see that there is a group of ex owners/current owners that had (or are having) bad experiences with their TLXs.
Although I can completely understand their frustration, I'm able to identify who these negative posters are and most of their negative comments are the same ones over and over again. I have nothing against them, they do provide good information; but you have to take it as is: simply information.
The concensus seems to be that the 15-17 models have issues with transmission, engine vibrations, and some technological shortcomings as well. I'm sure I'm missing some. Some had issues with the Acura Service or lack of it when bringing the cars for service. Some even reached out to corporate only to have bad experiences as well.
Regardless, if you survey current ASpec owners seems like most issues have been addressed. Although the engine and transmission is still the same, some owners still want more HP. Thats where you have to take your personal requirements on what your car should have and what you can live without.

Im not an ASpec owner, but I can honestly say that I have read, watched and researched this car more than any of my previous purchases; and for that I actually thank some of those "negative" posters. I plan on purchasing around December thanks to the input of posters here as well. The car meets all my current needs. I'm 36, with a one year old. I do want a car that feels somewhat luxurious that feels good when you drive it. Horse power? 290 is good enough for me. Safety features? Acura has the best bundle for the price. Looks? The car looks much better in person. I'll be the first to tell you I was not impressed at all from pictures.

At the end, you should always do your own research and most importantly test drive it. Listen to what people here are saying but also learn to differentiate between the car's shortcomings and people's attacks on Acura.
Thanks for the feedback. Our requirements and circumstances are pretty much the same and I agree the negatives will help me make a more informed decision and negotiate better on price. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Not to start any additional endless Audi - Acura comparisons....but I did recently have a chance to drive a Q5 Technik and an TLX A-Spec SH-AWD with Elite Trim for about a total of 2 hours each - ferrying them to and from a Charity Golf Tournament I'm involved in organizing. Both VERY nice vehicles to drive and enjoy, both with lots of technology. I am obviously much more familiar with the TLX as I drive one, but have spent some time test driving an A4 this winter and riding in my buddy's Q5 and new Q7. I have a few unscientific observations and opinions in comparing the 2018 Q5 interior to the 2018 TLX, price difference not withstanding:

1. Did I mention I would be happy to own either vehicle
2. At first blush, the Audi is still fresh for me and the interior seems nicer - I think having a clean dash line dash brings your eye quicker to other nice features.
3. After some time sitting, I realized the Acura seats (with Alcantara inserts) are more plush, and more comfortable. The Technik seats are that sort of "rubbery" leather, which look good from a distance but seemed a little hard to my butt and back. I would say the same for my Milano leather seats, although I appreciate the additional bolstering in the 18 Audi. I assume the Comfort package seats are softer, but I don't know.
4. It's been said that there is too much dash on the passenger side of the TLX, which is true. However, I will say, for those that may care, that the Acura material is a little softer than the Audi dash material.
4. The Audi has a higher "cool" factor with the virtual dash, the IPad looking screen, the touch pad and some nicer graphics. It looks great...but...the touch pad is fun to use while you are sitting parked, otherwise it has a significant potential distraction factor. I doubt i would use the hash marks at the top of the touch pad to pick preset stations...unless you are stopped. SImilarly, I found the two toggle switches on the console to add to the cool look, but be kinda awkward. I like my principal switches on the steering wheel. To that end, the cool virtual dash was a little too crowded for me, although as with anything, I'm sure I would adapt. Perhaps one of the bigger draw backs is that you can't have the Cruise controls on the steering wheel of the Audi (given the virtual dash controls), and I will never like the control stick virtually out of site on the left side of the steering column. Like my Audi owning friend, I'm sure I would adapt to the feel, but I much prefer having those controls on the steering wheel.
5. Sound system with, the additional Audi speakers offered a small improvement in sound to my less than audiofile ear, but I could only compare satellite radio to satellite radio. Clearly, a little more bass with the Audi, never an issue with me personally.
6. For making phone calls, it is nice to pop your entire address book in front of you on the virtual dash. However, personally, I either call my pre-set 12 people (easily accessed on the TLX in front of you) or I use Siri voice only to make calls to others in my IPhone 7 contacts. Both cars have that capacity, but I noticed there was no button on the Audi IPad to end the call and I used the phone to do so. Must have been an option elsewhere in the vehicle.
7. I have to say that the TLX's surround view camera readouts were more helpful, IMHO, than the Audi - albeit based on limited views. I have always said that the Acura Cross Traffic Alert system was as good or better than anything I have seen.
7. BTW, I enjoyed driving both vehicles in terms of the engine pairing with the transmission. I won't compare given the two different vehicle styles, as I generally prefer driving a sedan vs an SUV. I would have needed more recent time behind the wheel of an A4 and the ASpec to make a legitimate comparison. Suffice to say, the Audi 8 speed is a nice tranny.

To conclude the Audi interior looks more uber modern, with some additional cool technology but the Acura delivers a little more comfort and technology that is a little more intuitive, particularly for some of the day- to- day functions. I will confess that I do like the two screen set-up, particularly with the quicker response times on the 18s. I kinda miss the ability to change background colours on the two screens as I have with my 2016. Ultimately, I did not find any deal breaker with either vehicle. As always it comes down to personal preference and perceived value.

No doubt, more wheel time with the Audi would alter my perceptions a little, although as my Audi friend says, he is still trying to figure out some things. No doubt, there are some TLX owners who might say the same.
The following 5 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (09-26-2017), DLM1213 (09-26-2017), FLYGUY31 (09-26-2017), Jhole99 (09-26-2017), TAG18 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
That has not been my experience or that of my Audi-owning friends and colleagues.
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
neuronbob (09-29-2017), slimm1469 (09-29-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
That has not been my experience or that of my Audi-owning friends and colleagues.
Anecdotal evidence. You don't know enough people to discount statistics from major surveys.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...-brands/3.html
Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

I think reliability is a subjective thing. What do we mean by reliable? Having a car that doesn't visit the shop? Cheaper repairs? How do you account for driving conditions. Even these consumer reports surveys are self reported. Only way to truly know would be to create a national car repair database and see for sure.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Azine Jabroni

I think reliability is a subjective thing. What do we mean by reliable? Having a car that doesn't visit the shop? Cheaper repairs? How do you account for driving conditions. Even these consumer reports surveys are self reported. Only way to truly know would be to create a national car repair database and see for sure.
Nearly every company that compiles worthwhile reliability data let you know their methodology. Nearly all of them have Audi above Acura in reliability.

BTW, cost to fix is not usually part of reliability.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just released, got the magazine this week, reliability rankings for small luxury cars & SUV'S, customer owner reports to CR.

Audi A4
BMW 330
Volvo S60
Inifiniti Q50
Mercedes C300
Lexus IS300
Cadillac ATS
Acura TLX
Jaguar XE
Alfa Romeo Glulia

ATS, TLX & Glulia were colored red in reliability & yellow overall. XE was yellow in reliability & orange overall

Audi, BMW & Volvo were recommended buys.

The RDX & MDX also made recomended buys ranking 5th & 4th in their classes
Old 09-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Nearly every company that compiles worthwhile reliability data let you know their methodology. Nearly all of them have Audi above Acura in reliability.

As much as it cost, it better be reliable.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Mak P
As much as it cost, it better be reliable.
Uh, costs to fix or costs to buy? My A4 is cheaper than a number of TLX configurations which are significantly less reliable.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Uh, costs to fix or costs to buy? My A4 is cheaper than a number of TLX configurations which are significantly less reliable.
What is your config on your A4? When I was looking everything I tried to spec always seemed to be more expensive than the equivalent TLX. Although there were more incentives for Audi at that time. They were even giving $5000 off 2018 S4's. Man was I tempted.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Cost to fix. Is your A4 past its warranty?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Methodology I get. I also get the huge wobble in results obtained by very, very small sample sizes regardless of methodology. There just aren't that many Tesla, Jaguar, Acura and other niche brands to yield enough respondents for a margin of error of + or - 3 points, the industry standard. This is when a forum like this one becomes a better source of data than the "big" (not) surveys.

Last edited by slimm1469; 09-29-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Here's another review that's fair and balanced
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...d-spec-review/

Here's my own take after a week and a half as a "regular guy" driving the car (i.e. not an enthusiast who craves a manual wagon)...

Looks:
I realize this can be polarizing but I really like the look. Compared to the older TLX it's a big difference. The difference with the non A-spec may be more subtle. The blue is just beautiful and unique. It's funny I've only seen a few other cars in that blue (I realize honda has used it before): an m6 and an s7 so I guess I'm in good company! The guys who park my car at work love it. I've gotten some unsolicited comments (again about the blue).

Interior:
I wish there was less plastic and more metal but it's not a huge deal. I just think that would make it look more "premium" although I'm not sure how much that would add pricewise. The ergonomics are good for the most part. A few annoying quirks: 1. I wish the IDS button was a knob and easier to find. I'll usually start in Normal and then in stop and go switch to ECO but then have to hit the button like 5 times. 2. If you're on Sirius and hit the leftsided scroll button to flip stations a long press goes to the next number up while a short press does the next preset. I wish it were reversed.

Safety stuff:
I drive in NYC so the promixity sensors over call the distance (which I guess is not a bad thing) when squeezing on a tight 1 lane road with a double parked truck. The Auto cruise is nice and works well in stop and go, although you have to restart it if you stop for more than a certain amount of time which is annoying in true stop and go. The lane keep assist only works above like 40mph. I guess it's assistive and helps but the ACC and LKAS aren't designed for true stop and go bumper to bumper traffic.

Tech:
I'm not sure why people hate the 2 screens. I LOVE having the 2 screens. Ergonomically it makes sense (it's better to have a dual monitor display than one big display if you're trying to get work done). I love how using my phone I can have the maps above and spotify on the lower screen at the same time (although you can't do a lot with spotify on the lower screen other than switch songs). Android auto rocks. I can't imagine buying a car that didn't have cell phone integration. All other cars with NAV if you want to see the music you have to split the screen and cut down your map size. The factory nav looks dated but I've never used it. (I would have not taken the option if I had the choice).

Audio:
I'm not sure what counts as audiophile cred around here but I have a pretty decent home theater system and a good ear (probably in the novice category at the avsforum.com) but still... the sound system is really well done. Better than the logic 7 system in my old BMW. I think it's better than the Mark Levinson system in the lexus (I didn't do a true a/b comparison but I listened when I test drove the GS). I listened some of my trusted tracks and it really brings out the details. I think the bass is on the tighter side so if you want more of it you may want to do an aftermarket sub but I think it's good enough for the car. You can tweak the subwoofer up independently which I like. The reponse sounds flat (I need to go out with a sound meter and test tones and see for sure but it seems blalanced).

Driving:
The accelleration is acceptable. It's not break your neck fast but it gets the job done. The car handles really well around turns, subjectively as good as my old 335. Granted I don't push it hard enough to get it to understeer which some of the reviewers do but I'm probably taking the turns a little slower. It is a lot of fun to drive though especially in sport or sport plus. I'm not used to shifting through 9 gears though. I notice the split second hesitation when shifting but it's good enough for the streets. The suspension is "just right", softer than the BMW but firmer than most. I wish they had a dynamic suspension system.

Overall I'm happy. I think the probably could have made an S type for 50k and put a 400hp engine and dynamic suspension. However, I'm not sure how will that would sell...
The following 5 users liked this post by UNCMo96:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-29-2017), kurtatx (09-29-2017), neuronbob (09-29-2017), Speed_Racer (09-29-2017), TAG18 (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
What is your config on your A4? When I was looking everything I tried to spec always seemed to be more expensive than the equivalent TLX. Although there were more incentives for Audi at that time. They were even giving $5000 off 2018 S4's. Man was I tempted.

This is mine. It's basically no options other than Quattro AWD.

Full disclosure: I would say yes, the A4 is a bit more expensive, but when you throw in that you HAVE to have the Tech package on the SH-AWD model to get the A-Spec, the TLX gets a little silly. I literally went into the dealership and bought the car I test drove. In retrospect, I might have wanted the LEDs, but honestly I don't see them.

Last edited by kurtatx; 09-29-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews