2018 Acura TLX vs Kia Stinger. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Your opinion, in mine it does not look very upscale. Very upscale looking is Audi A7, Mercedes E43, etc. Like I said they did a sportback mixed with a Jag and it came out way too busy. I don't like it.
Honestly, when a car is clean and new, most of them look pretty upscale. A brand new Chevy has a decent interior until you use it for a while. Better interiors show their true nature after wear and tear. That would be one of my concerns with the Stinger over the TLX. The TLX meets a good standard of quality and will definitely withstand use.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Honestly, when a car is clean and new, most of them look pretty upscale. A brand new Chevy has a decent interior until you use it for a while. Better interiors show their true nature after wear and tear. That would be one of my concerns with the Stinger over the TLX. The TLX meets a good standard of quality and will definitely withstand use.
I have to disagree with you on this. Our 2009 Santa fe is 9 years old now and not a single rattle or squeak, everything is still fit together as tight as ever. Same with my 2012 Sorento. Recent Kias (2016+) in top trims have much MUCH better fit and finish than their Acura counterparts. By a far margin. In contrast both the RDX and MDX were falling apart with cheap scratches showing on high use areas and also just overall I could see a lot of factory errors (I.e you could see where the mold for some parts marred the edges of certain pieces). Let's not forget that as nice as the 3G TL was inside, dash cracking is very common, along with blown speakers, wrecked bluetooth modules...etc.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Bob Lutz has said with robots building most of the car, better materials & common electronics being used across the board the line between a luxury car & a regular one has been permanently blurred. Its being reduced more & more to nameplate vs content

FWIW I would swap out the seats in our Genesis R-Spec coupe for the ones in the 435 in a heartbeat.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
It's a bit more complicated than that as Hyundai only owns a third of Kia, but I guess that makes sense.
Originally Posted by RDX10
You are right, it is a bit more complicated than that. But what he said was correct for the most part. Just look at the drivetrain setups for example, the tucson and sportage are platform mates and share a lot, however the sportage offers a 2.0T while the largest engine in the tucson is a 1.6T. The 2007-2012 santa fe and 2011-2013 Sorento were on the same platform and believe me, my 2012 Sorento handles NOTHING like my 2009 santa fe or my 2007 santa fe limited before that despite both having 18" wheels. The santa fe is floaty and soft, soft electric power steering. Whereas the Sorento is firm and sporty with true hydraulic and heavy power steering.

Just go and drive the comparable Hyundai to Kia model and you'll see what I mean. Hyundai is trying to be premium, Kia sporty, and Genesis performance luxury. Even in terms of looks, Kias are MUCH more aggressive than their Hyundai counterparts.
Yup! Pretty much!

Originally Posted by MSZ
Genesis had stated publicly that Stinger is actually a GT car, G70 will have a shorter overall length and wheelbase, lighter and faster 0 to 60 time. Stinger may be a 3 series competitor price wise, but performance wise G70 is closer to compete with other German rivals.
Haha true, it was called the Kia GT Concept when it was first introduced.

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I never got a compliment on my TLX, not that I care. Handsome is a stretch, that's exotics category. Happy that you used the word 'decent' powertrain, much more in line with what reviews say.

Acura had to pretty much give them away to make room for 2018s. They for sure didn't sale them at full price for looks or value compared to Lexus. The Stinger got immediate attention at it's reveal. Curious to it's price compared to 2018 TLX. The Stringer was a wow at the auto show whereas the A-spec was more like a "about time, nice, but still no...".

Compared to Kia back then, I'm starting to feel the same with Acura. They are just not that exclusive anymore, much more value oriented than luxury. You say you get looks and compliments, I say I get more of a "why not save with a Honda and get sportiness" looks. The amount of features compared to Kia is starting to get pretty sad. It's always the wait and see with Acura... only to be disappointed again.
I think this is what a lot of manufacturers are doing to their sedans nowadays - look at those $299/month lease deals for the 3 series, A4, etc. Acura gotta do it if they wanna sell their TLX.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Kia makes good cars as do lots of manufacturers, although, IMHO, the Stinger is just trying too hard to stand out. Rear isn't bad (very Fusion like), Front is okay (not a big fan of the double grill), but Side lines..not so much. BTW, I do chuckle when I read that folks need a 400 hp car to speed past the jerk drivers. I guess those the "jerks" that are driving at or just over the speed limit. This just in - most of the jerk drivers are usually the ones speeding past and cutting in and out. Ignorance truly is bliss.
I'm also amused when folks derisively refer to Acura Fanboys....on an Acura Forum. Hmmmm.....
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Your opinion, in mine it does not look very upscale. Very upscale looking is Audi A7, Mercedes E43, etc. Like I said they did a sportback mixed with a Jag and it came out way too busy. I don't like it.
Let's put it this way, if Mercedes, BMW, or Audi came out with the Stinger design and slapped a their badge on it and sold it for $15,000 more, people would be saying it's freakin' awesome. Because it's a Kia, even though it's designed by BMW and Audi designers, and it will be at a reasonable price, people are more critical of it. Hey, I have an idea! Why not buy the Kia Stinger, remove the badge and add an Audi badge on it.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Let's put it this way, if Mercedes, BMW, or Audi came out with the Stinger design and slapped a their badge on it and sold it for $15,000 more, people would be saying it's freakin' awesome. Because it's a Kia, even though it's designed by BMW and Audi designers, and it will be at a reasonable price, people are more critical of it. Hey, I have an idea! Why not buy the Kia Stinger, remove the badge and add an Audi badge on it.
Audi has already made that car it's the S5 Sportback and it has a better exterior and interior.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

The S5 looks like a nice car. I think the stinger looks better because the audi looks too boxy especially the front.
The S5 starts at $61,500 Canadian and goes over $71,000. I think the stinger will be 2/3rds the price and perhaps even more reliable if Kia keeps improving on reliability. I would choose the Kia Stinger over the S5 for those reasons, or maybe go for a Lexus instead for the ultimate reliability.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Fair enough, Acuras have a better track record. Kia is inproving at a great rate so time will tell. I think the single best cost effective thing that Kia can do for the stinger is to give it a special badge, the "kia" badge looks very plain and cheap. Doesn't match the looks of the vehicle. I'm also wondering how fuel efficient the stinger would be because the Acuras are very fuel efficient.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I can definitely see a bit of Audi-ness in the Stinger, but I'd doubt any Audi would look as over the stop as the Stinger. It's the same design head but each company also has a different design philosophy. Audi has always been about understated elegance for the past decade or 2. The Stinger is anything but understated.....
Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Azine Jabroni

Fair enough, Acuras have a better track record. Kia is inproving at a great rate so time will tell. I think the single best cost effective thing that Kia can do for the stinger is to give it a special badge, the "kia" badge looks very plain and cheap. Doesn't match the looks of the vehicle. I'm also wondering how fuel efficient the stinger would be because the Acuras are very fuel efficient.
Seconded. They need a performance badge.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
The S5 looks like a nice car. I think the stinger looks better because the audi looks too boxy especially the front.
The S5 starts at $61,500 Canadian and goes over $71,000. I think the stinger will be 2/3rds the price and perhaps even more reliable if Kia keeps improving on reliability. I would choose the Kia Stinger over the S5 for those reasons, or maybe go for a Lexus instead for the ultimate reliability.
Yeah the Audi of course is going to cost more and I understand where you're coming from.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Audi has already made that car it's the S5 Sportback and it has a better exterior and interior.

Interesting pattern on the seats. Identical to the last edition of the Viper.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Kia currrently has this pattern on the Optima seats, ford has it on the platinum explorers, Jeep now has it on top trim jeeps with the full leather package, Infiniti has been doing it for a while with the 2009+ FX. I really like it.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

1. Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Kia currrently has this pattern on the Optima seats, ford has it on the platinum explorers, Jeep now has it on top trim jeeps with the full leather package, Infiniti has been doing it for a while with the 2009+ FX. I really like it.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
In terms of "curb appeal" at the NY Auto Show, there weren't many people drawn to the Stinger. However, the new TLX seem to be a popular draw with the crowds there. Both circumstances surprised me.

Then again, this is the New York show, serving the NYC metro area. People here are a little pretentious, and are influenced by the badge.
Or maybe it s because the Acura debut at the NY Auto Show and the Stinger debut months ago in Detroit? How
Old 05-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by AcuraFreeAgent
Or maybe it s because the Acura debut at the NY Auto Show and the Stinger debut months ago in Detroit? How
The more I think of it, the more I know it's the badge.

Honda, Toyota would be at risk of falling into the badge trap, too, but they are active in IndyCar, NASCAR, etc. Kia is a loser brand that will require YEARS of performance models and targeted marketing to be taken seriously.

The performance fans aren't anywhere near the Kia section of the Autoshow.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (05-14-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

The 2018 Kia Stinger has been released in Korea. Pricing in Korea is as follows:

The Stinger is priced at 35 million won (US$31,000) for 2.0 turbo prime, 37.8 million won (US$34,000) for platinum, 44.6 million won (US$40,000) for 3.3 turbo masters, 48.8 million won (US$ 44,000) for GT, 37.2 million won (US$ 33,000) for 2.2 diesel prime and 40.3 million won (US$36,000) for platinum.

Looks like the top of the line trim is $44,000 US with twin turbo V6 3.3 L and about 365 horsepower. If they have similar pricing in North America, this would be a serious contender to the Acura TLX in terms of value and features. They also have a special "E" badge in Korea, so it doesn't say "Kia" on the vehicle.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I like Kia's "K" badge. Their North American "KIA" badge is horrendous.
Christopher. (12-31-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Agreed, they really should drop the current ugly NA badge and go for that flying K badge. However it kind of looks like the mazda or lexus badge to me so that might be why they chose not to do it.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I just test drove a Kia Stinger GT2 at the San Diego Car show. The car looks great inside and out and is very quick. Kia claims a 4.7 sec 0-60 and that seemed about right on my short test drive- I had a rare opportunity to try that on a test drive along Harbor drive with no traffic ahead of me.

I think I may have just found my next car! I'm also on the Tesla Model3 wait list, but think the Kia will be more reliable and trouble-free. I have a few months to make up my mind but am now leaning heavily to the Stinger. We already have an electric car and I think two will just be kind of a hassle keeping them both charged.

I have been adverse to the Kia brand name but the more I look at these products the more I think Kia is outplaying Honda/Acura. I have been patiently waiting for Acura's answer to a viable 3G TL replacement and it's been extremely disappointing. Acura: it's time to make a 300+ HP turbo 4/6 with the performance of the Kia Stinger GT2 - STAT!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I want a car that can accelerate so fast on the highway that I can drive past jerks/dangerous drivers quickly; the car also has to be reliable, luxurious, and not at a rip-off price like the German luxury cars ..
Sounds to me like you just described the TLX V6 to a T.

If you're OK with not having the feeling of acceleration "off the line" that you get from 400+ HP RWD sports cars, the Acura TLX (V6) has *plenty* of power to blow past jerks on the highway with a quick dip of the throttle. I let my friend drive mine the other day - we pulled onto the local interconnect highway after I switched it to "Sport+" for him and just for fun he decides to pass some guy going about 70 and floors it WOT, seemed like barely more than the blink of an eye and we hit 100, fly right past the other guy so easy, and the car's smooth like butter, 100 MPH and it doesn't even feel fast.

But, the TLX is not gonna touch the Stinger in terms of the sheer thrill you're going to feel going from zero to full throttle. The Kia Stinger looks like a sweet car, I would just have to take that Kia badge right off though.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
My first thought upon realizing the Kia Stinger is an awesome car: Man that shitty looking "KIA" badge is gonna come RIGHT off if I get one of those, I don't care if there's just an ugly hole left, it's gonna look better than that badge.

Last edited by Christopher.; 12-31-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Pro

Damn that looks so much like a copy of the 2018 Accord interior:
2018 Acura TLX vs Kia Stinger. Thoughts?-2018-honda-accord-touring-2.0t-091-640x360.jpg
Old 12-31-2017, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
Attachment 93172
Honda blatantly stated they used the A4 as the benchmark. Highest form of praise when copy pasting.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
kurtatx (01-01-2018), TacoBello (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I want a car that can accelerate so fast on the highway that I can drive past jerks/dangerous drivers quickly; the car also has to be reliable, luxurious, and not at a rip-off price like the German luxury cars (
Sounds to me like you just described the TLX V6 to a T.
rockyboy also wants the car to be luxurious. Sure, the TLX has a nice interior, but it's not luxurious.
RDX10 (01-07-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Pro

Red face

Originally Posted by AZuser
rockyboy also wants the car to be luxurious. Sure, the TLX has a nice interior, but it's not luxurious.
OK, yeah, when I sit in an Acura, it does not look like/make me feel like it could be a Bentley, or Rolls Royce, it is just "nice" - however, it is the first car that I've driven much that manages to make 85 MPH on the highway feel like I'm going too slow. When I'm crusin down the highway I can't help but think to myself: "the speed limits in America are so quaint and obsolete with cars like this...".
Old 12-31-2017, 11:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Attachment 93172
Does the copy usually precede?

And gah at those awful shift buttons in the Honda. They need to dump that.
RDX10 (01-07-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 11:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by svtmike
...and gah at those awful shift buttons in the Honda. They need to dump that.
I wouldn't mind the buttons if they moved the parking break away a little and changed the Dymamic (IDS) button to a knob that you turn instead (you could move it either way, not just cycle through all 4 modes).

Though I agree, I would prefer a shift lever. I'm not sure if that's just because that's what I'm used to though? Perhaps I'll learn to prefer the buttons eventually? Maybe?

They need to let the driver pull the Reverse button as soon as the start engine button has been pressed. It's OK if it takes a second before it actually goes into reverse, just don't make me wait to push that button.

In order to not be irritated that I have to wait to pull the reverse button, I've decided to go in this order: push Start Engine, then put on seat belt, then push the gear I want (usually starting with Reverse).
Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Singer will compete with 430i grand coupe , a5 sportback, and regal sportback. These are the only midaisize hatch sedans. After my tlx ends I am getting the a5 sportback.
The following 2 users liked this post by BC01191980:
pyrodan007 (01-01-2018), RDX10 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The Stinger seems like a nice car but the exterior styling is awful with all those tacked on vents and whatnot. I might be interested in a Stinger that is more 'grown up' for lack of a better term.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Honda blatantly stated they used the A4 as the benchmark. Highest form of praise when copy pasting.
So you are happy that for their B9, Audi blatantly used a 2012 as the benchmark? Fine.

Last edited by Saintor; 01-01-2018 at 07:31 AM.
steig (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Certainly a similarity of layout. Audi did improve on it though.

- Relegated the CD/DVD drive to the glove box because who carries discs anymore?
- Center screen with a much more usable aspect ratio.
- Second screen between gauges (stock) or the excellent virtual cockpit -- two screens done right.
- Cupholders

Will be interesting to see where BMW takes it, and Acura too.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Does the copy usually precede?

And gah at those awful shift buttons in the Honda. They need to dump that.
I look at them and can't help think

2018 Acura TLX vs Kia Stinger. Thoughts?-dpciwnl.png
The following 6 users liked this post by AZuser:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-01-2018), kurtatx (01-01-2018), pyrodan007 (01-01-2018), RDX10 (01-07-2018), svtmike (01-01-2018), wlkeel (01-07-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Azine Jabroni

Acura could stand to rip off anything from the Germans. Start with "fun to drive", "actual luxury", "no damn buttons"
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
pyrodan007 (01-01-2018), RDX10 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Certainly a similarity of layout. Audi did improve on it though.

- Relegated the CD/DVD drive to the glove box because who carries discs anymore?
- Center screen with a much more usable aspect ratio.
- Second screen between gauges (stock) or the excellent virtual cockpit -- two screens done right.
- Cupholders

Will be interesting to see where BMW takes it, and Acura too.
The tray infront of the stick lifts out. Twin cup holders are there.
svtmike (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
So you are happy that for their B9, Audi blatantly used a 2012 as the benchmark? Fine.

Copying something that works and improving is ok with me. Kia copied A5 SB, Accord copied A4. Two mainstream using luxury as benchmarks. Acura copied FCA with their terrible 9ZF and got a copy paste of their reliability rating lol ...
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-01-2018), RDX10 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Typically its a very good idea. Lexus got its US start with a line by line copy of the MB E class except for the three pointed star hood ornament. Look where they are now. Infiniti never got the copy MB memo & look where they are.

A lot of people will buy something that looks like the expensive item for a great price. That's why knockoffs sell so well.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-01-2018 at 01:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
F23A4 (01-02-2018), TacoBello (01-01-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All, new to the forums but have been a long time lurker and recently got my first Acura (2018 TLX Tech) and quite happy with it... I do really like the looks of it but this is a personal / subjective thing...

One thing no one has mentioned here regarding Hyundai and Kia is the dealer and service feel and quality. My wife drives a Santa Fe Sport and we are quite happy with the car itself, apart from the wind noise problems it is a very good car with lots of cool features, etc. That said, they really need to improve on their customer relationship and dealer looks and feel. When you spend $40K+ on a car you expect certain level of service, their dealers have a quick lube vibe and service reps are most of the times rude and not very helpful... In the little time I have owned the TLX, Accura has really made me feel like I am a premium customer.

Koreans have done an amazing job at improving their quality and reliability and I have to agree the Stinger does looks bad ass but they really need to work on customer experience thorough both the buying and service fronts if they want to be taken seriously in this category, in my opinion this is an important part of the whole experience... oh, and please ditch that awful KIA badge...
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumute
Hi All, new to the forums but have been a long time lurker and recently got my first Acura (2018 TLX Tech) and quite happy with it... I do really like the looks of it but this is a personal / subjective thing...

One thing no one has mentioned here regarding Hyundai and Kia is the dealer and service feel and quality. My wife drives a Santa Fe Sport and we are quite happy with the car itself, apart from the wind noise problems it is a very good car with lots of cool features, etc. That said, they really need to improve on their customer relationship and dealer looks and feel. When you spend $40K+ on a car you expect certain level of service, their dealers have a quick lube vibe and service reps are most of the times rude and not very helpful... In the little time I have owned the TLX, Accura has really made me feel like I am a premium customer.

Koreans have done an amazing job at improving their quality and reliability and I have to agree the Stinger does looks bad ass but they really need to work on customer experience thorough both the buying and service fronts if they want to be taken seriously in this category, in my opinion this is an important part of the whole experience... oh, and please ditch that awful KIA badge...
Very well said!
I don't know about other dealers in NA but when I go to my Acura dealer in Montreal (Acura de Laval - for those who are from MTL, QC) I get the best service possible. Staff are very respectful and professional. The service area is super nice and trendy. They offer coffee, fruits, water and etc. It's just a pleasant experience when I go there. Now the question is that paying $50K justifies 2-3 visits a year?? It depends on the person but I like it

On a side note, I go to Mazda dealership as well and I must say they are much better than Honda. Mazda is stepping up their game.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 01-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Think the whole white glove level of service depends on the dealers ownership & not the car manufacturer. Might be a good plan to checkout that end of the dealership before you buy.

Or if you do buy from a not so great service dealer due to price, take the car to the better shop for service.