2018 Acura TLX vs Kia Stinger. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
I think the fact that people are asking kia or acura says a lot about how far KIA has come and how far down acura has gone down.
This would apply to other manufacturers as well as the Stinger on paper has the goods to go straight up against Infiniti, Lexus and the Germans. Side profile aside, I just don't like the way it looks (front and rear) but it appears to be a solid offering. Looking forward to more info being revealed on the Stinger.

Last edited by ggesq; 05-06-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
You're right. It's a bad ass car, from a brand that's been considered shit for so long... and now they are handily out doing acura in every sense of the word. How fucking embarrassing. Too bad car stigmas die hard. Kias are still considered shit even though they're not, and Acuras are still considered awesome even though they're not.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Acuras are awesome. You're getting vehicles equal to or better than Lexus but at a more reasonable price.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kense
Youre not alone, I don't get the hype. I actually think it's ugly. Looks like they are trying to be an Audi A5 sportback but failed.
In terms of looks, the Stinger looks very upscale. Look at the air intakes, chrome, overall balance of the design and the lines, and added modern touches. It is one of the best looking sedans.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

And the TLX can't say "boring ass shit, with no fucking power, confused style, a shit transmission and fanboi followers" enough. What's your point?

Same shit, different pile, no?
The 2018 TLX looks like a fine, luxury vehicle. The Stinger looks freakin' amazing! What Kia really needs to do is put a different looking badge on the Stinger. They should have a special badge for their luxury line of cars (Stinger, K900, perhaps Cadenza even).
Old 05-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
And the TLX can't say "boring ass shit, with no fucking power, confused style, a shit transmission and TROLLS" enough. What's your point?

Same shit, different pile, no?
No. The TLX is an handsome car and has a decent powertrain. I get regular compliments.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
No. The TLX is an handsome car and has a decent powertrain. I get regular compliments.

The voices in your head don't count.

It's a fine looking car with a fine powertrain. You're a powertrain away from a literal Honda Accord.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kurtatx
The voices in your head don't count.
You must be 12yo or something.

It's a fine looking car with a fine powertrain.
My point exactly.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts

I never got a compliment on my TLX, not that I care. Handsome is a stretch, that's exotics category. Happy that you used the word 'decent' powertrain, much more in line with what reviews say.

Acura had to pretty much give them away to make room for 2018s. They for sure didn't sale them at full price for looks or value compared to Lexus. The Stinger got immediate attention at it's reveal. Curious to it's price compared to 2018 TLX. The Stringer was a wow at the auto show whereas the A-spec was more like a "about time, nice, but still no...".

Compared to Kia back then, I'm starting to feel the same with Acura. They are just not that exclusive anymore, much more value oriented than luxury. You say you get looks and compliments, I say I get more of a "why not save with a Honda and get sportiness" looks. The amount of features compared to Kia is starting to get pretty sad. It's always the wait and see with Acura... only to be disappointed again.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I never got a compliment on my TLX, not that I care. Handsome is a stretch, that's exotics category. Happy that you used the word 'decent' powertrain, much more in line with what reviews say.

Acura had to pretty much give them away to make room for 2018s. They for sure didn't sale them at full price for looks or value compared to Lexus. The Stinger got immediate attention at it's reveal. Curious to it's price compared to 2018 TLX. The Stringer was a wow at the auto show whereas the A-spec was more like a "about time, nice, but still no...".

Compared to Kia back then, I'm starting to feel the same with Acura. They are just not that exclusive anymore, much more value oriented than luxury. You say you get looks and compliments, I say I get more of a "why not save with a Honda and get sportiness" looks. The amount of features compared to Kia is starting to get pretty sad. It's always the wait and see with Acura... only to be disappointed again.
Why not save with a Honda and get sportiness? The Acura TLX is more sporty than the Honda Accord. Also, a fully loaded Honda Accord touring V6 is the same price as a base Acura TLX. The new Accords look very refined, don't get me wrong, the tail lights look like BMW and the front looks Acura-like. But if I had to choose between an Acura TLX with $5000+ incentive or a fully loaded Honda Accord, I would go with the Acura (as would anyone else with a sense of value).
Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Why not save with a Honda and get sportiness? The Acura TLX is more sporty than the Honda Accord. Also, a fully loaded Honda Accord touring V6 is the same price as a base Acura TLX. The new Accords look very refined, don't get me wrong, the tail lights look like BMW and the front looks Acura-like. But if I had to choose between an Acura TLX with $5000+ incentive or a fully loaded Honda Accord, I would go with the Acura (as would anyone else with a sense of value).
Remove the SH-AWD, then MANY models become interesting to compare too. If it wasn't for our winters in Montreal, I'd wouldn't even get a TLX, go straight to a Civic. Base TLX has nothing that exciting to be considered sporty. The Honda Accord Touring is fine, but at that price point competition becomes very open with no AWD.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Remove the SH-AWD, then MANY models become interesting to compare too. If it wasn't for our winters in Montreal, I'd wouldn't even get a TLX, go straight to a Civic. Base TLX has nothing that exciting to be considered sporty. The Honda Accord Touring is fine, but at that price point competition becomes very open with no AWD.
That's the differentiator now. TLX offers SH-AWD. If Acura were on a RWD platform, that would be a positive differentiator for all the models, but alas, it is not.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Sorry but that shot is bland as white bread with no butter; have a hard time believing anyone would single it out for special mention. That said the wheels are nicely done, best Acura wheels in a while.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also trying to decide between the 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec and 2018 Kia Stinger GT. I think both cars look great with the white exterior and red interior. I think the Stinger will have the edge as far as performance, features, and cost and also looks sportier and more aggressive than the TLX. Not to mention, the Stinger is RWD unlike the TLX which is FWD and has a conventional shifter unlike the TLX. I am glad to see that Acura added Apple Car Play support to the TLX, which is something I am looking for in my next car. I had my mind set on an Infiniti Q50 for a while now, but it seems that they are not planning on adding Apple Car Play support to their cars. The Lexus IS was also another possibility, but without Apple Car Play support and with the complicated controls, it is no longer an option for me. Another car I may be interested in is the Nissan Maxima, especially if they do offer a Nismo version or one with AWD. I guess I will have to wait until the new cars are released and then take them for a test drive and make my final decision.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Race Director

Received 3,266 Likes on 2,027 Posts
Originally Posted by accord98
I am also trying to decide between the 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec and 2018 Kia Stinger GT. [...] I guess I will have to wait until the new cars are released and then take them for a test drive and make my final decision.
Not a bad problem to have .... :wink: Based on looks alone, I'd lean towards the Stinger GT, but will be very curious to hear folks' actual driving impressions and comparisons upon release.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Sorry but that shot is bland as white bread with no butter; have a hard time believing anyone would single it out for special mention. That said the wheels are nicely done, best Acura wheels in a while.
Have the same white and when its clean it looks pretty good. That said in two months I have had one stranger compliment on the car when I was getting something out of the trunk (although he was in his mid to late 60's, lol). My type S got a fair amount even up until right before I traded it in but not anything crazy. The tacoma TRD with the off road package had by far had the most though for whatever reason and it was almost always by women where the Type S was mostly men. Was the acura a more manly car and the toyota a girly truck perhaps? Regardless the changes for 2018 imo are making the TLX a more attractive/sporty looking car than the 15-17s.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Love it or hate it the 18 A-Spec shows some character as opposed to relatively flat surfaces on the standard model. The base car through 17 is not a bad design just not one to my mind that would result in a lot of people asking about it. Again a lot depends on the local car population. The COBRA gets its picture taken & draws a number of people at the gas station & supermarket while the 435 is pretty much invisible.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow add the Alfa Romero guilia and these are the exact cars I'm considering when my lease ends. At the top of the list is the Stingers. I know a fully loaded one will be around $45k which is optimal considering what you get. Second is the TLX aspec which would be number one had the aspec had power folding mirrors. Third is the Guilia strictly due to all Italian cars having horrible reliability.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
The Stinger is like a Kia Optima A-spec Type-S

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-06-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 880 Likes on 673 Posts
Originally Posted by Rae Rad
What? The Stinger is on a COMPLETELY different RWD platform with completely different engines and completely different transmissions. How is it anything like a Kia Optima with a type S package?

Last edited by RDX10; 05-06-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm no
Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 PM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by RDX10
What? The Stinger is on a COMPLETELY different RWD platform with completely different engines and completely different transmissions. How is it anything like a Kia Optima with a type S package?
thats true. But imo The Stinger looks like an Optima with upgraded styling and performance. Not a bad thing tho
Old 05-06-2017, 11:29 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by AcuraFreeAgent
Wow add the Alfa Romero guilia and these are the exact cars I'm considering when my lease ends. At the top of the list is the Stingers. I know a fully loaded one will be around $45k which is optimal considering what you get. Second is the TLX aspec which would be number one had the aspec had power folding mirrors. Third is the Guilia strictly due to all Italian cars having horrible reliability.
Reliability aside, the Giulia is probably 10 times the car either of the other two are.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 AM
Suzuka Master

thats true. But imo The Stinger looks like an Optima with upgraded styling and performance. Not a bad thing tho
I agree that the Optima is a good looking car (slightly awkward now, was better in 2011) but it looks abaolutely nothing like the stinger. The only thing it shares is the Kia badge. The Stinger looks like the Optima as much as the Stinger looks like the Sorento.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,660 Likes on 926 Posts
In terms of "curb appeal" at the NY Auto Show, there weren't many people drawn to the Stinger. However, the new TLX seem to be a popular draw with the crowds there. Both circumstances surprised me.

Then again, this is the New York show, serving the NYC metro area. People here are a little pretentious, and are influenced by the badge.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jhb31
Have the same white and when its clean it looks pretty good. That said in two months I have had one stranger compliment on the car when I was getting something out of the trunk
Of course. He just wants to be a naysayer, no matter what. It is a sharp looking car. The body is nice, the front-end could have been bolder right from the start, and as you mentioned, they are trying to fix that with 2018 MMC.

Sorry but that shot is bland as white bread with no butter; have a hard time believing anyone would single it out for special mention.
There goes another evidence in the post above. But *guess what*, you may have another color!!. And unlike the germans, Acura doesn't stiff you with a $700-900 extortion fee to do so.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-07-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Azine Jabroni

Of course. He just wants to be a naysayer, no matter what. It is a sharp looking car. The body is nice, the front-end could have been bolder right from the start, and as you mentioned, they are trying to fix that with 2018 MMC.

There goes another evidence in the post above. But *guess what*, you may have another color!!. And unlike the germans, Acura doesn't stiff you with a $700-900 extortion fee to do so.
The expression "white bread" does not only apply to white things. It's boring regardless of color.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Generally speaking I think the Stinger looks kinda cool - but it's almost like they tried too hard. I'd really have to see it in person.

Frankly I would be pretty concerned about dropping 40K+ for the Kia badge. Not sure of the resale value 3 years down the road even if it turns out to be a terrific car. Hyundai moved the Genesis away from their brand for a reason.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Rae Ray

it looks abaolutely nothing like the stinger. The only thing it shares is the Kia badge. The Stinger looks like the Optima as much as the Stinger looks like the Sorento.

IMO The Stinger looks like an overly styled Optima.
Dont throw tomatoes at me. I just can't help to see the Optima when I look at the Stinger.

Maybe that will change if I see it in person.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

IMO The Stinger looks like an overly styled Optima.
Dont throw tomatoes at me. I just can't help to see the Optima when I look at the Stinger.

Maybe that will change if I see it in person.
Woah woah my friend! I'm not trying to throw tomatoes at you at all. You are 100% entitled to your opinion and if you happen to see the Optima in the Stinger. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Sorry if I made you feel attacked. Looking at those pics you posted and holy cow I'm starting to see it too now. I don't know how I did not see it before. Also I totally agree with the overstyled comment. It's too busy for me with hood vents, fender vents, vertical air intakes...TOO MUCH.

The only thing that stuck out to me was when you called it an Optima A-spec/Type S because it implied that it was the same car as the Optima with slightly different trim, suspension bits, and other minor stuff. But now I see what you are trying to say. I actually am starting to agree with you as well lmao.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-07-2017), Rae Rad (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

A lot of similarities above the door handle line. Big differences below that where you can see the FWD vs RWD proportions & body lines
Old 05-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

According to my build sheet the 2018 440 paint cost $450 against $550 MSRP. Fits in the middle with Ford Chevy & Dodge paint prices of $490- $900 MSRP
Old 05-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

According to my build sheet the 2018 440 paint cost $450 against $550 MSRP. Fits in the middle with Ford Chevy & Dodge paint prices of $490- $900 MSRP
You're wasting your time. Irregardless of what you say, he'll just flip the script on you. He'll return now and say something completely unrelated to what he said before and completely disregard your reply. Something along the lines of "The TLX is the best value ever, the Germans charge for every option but the TLX has nice packages for everything" blah blah blah.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Banned

If being stiffed by $550 instead of $700 makes you feel better. Still a rip-off a 4-5-6-7-8-900$, similar to nonsense 2.0Toy in $45K+ cars.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-07-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

If being stiffed by $550 instead of $700 makes you feel better. Still a rip-off a 4-5-6-7-8-900$, similar to nonsense 2.0Toy in $45K+ cars.
Its very nice that Acura puts free paint on your car & does not blend it into the base price. Congrats on you superior buying powers.

Guess I will have to suffer along & pay the 7/10ths of 1% of MSRP ransom to get the color I want.

That said it must really suck to have to forgo some extra feature on a new car over $450. But then you are the kind of guy who goes on & on over 2MPG or using 89 vs 91/93 octane gas to save $250 dollars a year in running costs. I would shoot myself before I would every live under your self imposed restraints on spending money.

If those kinds of restraints are imposed by outside forces, like economic conditions outside your control, you have my sincerest condolences.

BTW the build tracker shows my 440 has finished construction including my high priced paint job & awaiting loading on a ship to Charleston SC..

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-07-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

You're wasting your time. Irregardless of what you say, he'll just flip the script.
But he is such a sincere guy you just have to cut him a lot of slack & be happy you are not living his life..
Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Banned

Its very nice that Acura puts free paint on your car & does not blend it into the base price. Congrats on you superior buying powers.

Guess I will have to suffer along & pay the 7/10ths of 1% of MSRP ransom to get the color I want.

That said it must really suck to have to forgo some extra feature on a new car over $450. But then you are the kind of guy who goes on & on over 2MPG or using 89 vs 91/93 octane gas to save $250 dollars a year in running costs. I would shoot myself before I would every live under your self imposed restraints on spending money.

If those kinds of restraints are imposed by outside forces, like economic conditions outside your control, you have my sincerest condolences.

BTW the build tracker shows my 440 has finished construction including my high priced paint job & awaiting loading on a ship to Charleston SC..
Oh the ugly kit car driver gets a litlle upset. lol
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh the ugly kit car driver gets a litlle upset. lol
Guess you can interpret the words any way you want, enjoy your nice white paint.

Speaking of the Ugly Kit Car got a nice photo spread in a blog about the Morrisville NC Cars & Coffee.

Morrisville Cars and Coffee | Hotrod Hotline

End of page 2 & page 3. Some nice Vipers, Ferraris, Aston Martins & a De Tomaso Pantera were also there. Surprised how many shots of Little Ugly Wile E Coyote were posted.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Azine Jabroni

Guess you can interpret the words any way you want, enjoy your nice white paint.

Speaking of the Ugly Kit Car got a nice photo spread in a blog about the Morrisville NC Cars & Coffee.

Morrisville Cars and Coffee Hotrod Hotline

End of page 2 & page 3. Some nice Vipers, Ferraris, Aston Martins & a De Tomaso Pantera were also there. Surprised how many shots of Little Ugly Wile E Coyote were posted.
At least the white paint won't immediately look horrible when bird crap eats through his paint, seeing as Honda's paint is awful.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
At least the white paint won't immediately look horrible when bird crap eats through his paint, seeing as Honda's paint is awful.
Lol this X1000. The only photo spread the TLX has is the official ones taken by Acura lmao. Give me a break.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
In terms of looks, the Stinger looks very upscale. Look at the air intakes, chrome, overall balance of the design and the lines, and added modern touches. It is one of the best looking sedans.
Your opinion, in mine it does not look very upscale. Very upscale looking is Audi A7, Mercedes E43, etc. Like I said they did a sportback mixed with a Jag and it came out way too busy. I don't like it.