2016 TLX SHAWD/Advanced Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 TLX SHAWD/Advanced Review

Hi Everyone,

I'm an occasional poster, but longtime Acura owner. I've had a 2004 TL w/Tech, 2008 TL/Type-S, 2010 TL SHAWD/Tech, and 2013 TL SHAWD/Tech. I turned in the 2013 TL for a leased 2016 TLX SHAWD/Advanced. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the new TLX. As you will see, I feel like the TLX is more of an evolution of the 3rd gen TL rather than the 4th gen.

PROS:
  • Lower weight and increased handling dynamics vs. the previous generation TL are definitely apparent from the driver's perspective. In fact, the first time I drove it, I was taken back to the experience of the 3rd gen Type-S, but with SHAWD. Acceleration feels similar to the Type-S as well, much stronger than the 4th gen cars, especially in Sport or Sport+ modes.
  • Increased gas mileage vs. 4th gen. Again, its more in line with the experience I had with the 3rd gen TLs, getting in the high 20's to low 30's depending on how much I am pushing it.
  • 9-speed transmission seems to work well for me, shifts are smooth and crisp and I didn't notice a lot of gear hunting. It seems to me like Acura worked out the 1st year issues.
  • I like the start/stop feature when sitting at long stop lights. Its not perfectly smooth on restart, but still better than BMWs version. You can also turn it off if you want, or just set the IDS to Sport+
  • LKAS is pretty neat, I usually demonstrate it for passengers on the highway. They are impressed when they see the steering wheel turning by itself. I have read that some people find it annoying, but you can always turn it off just like the start/stop feature.
  • Factory remote start is great, I use it all the time.

CONS:
  • No more DVD audio even though there is a CD slot. I really wish they hadn't gotten rid of DVD audio. As most audio enthusiasts will attest to, ITunes and Android music is less than CD quality. Oh well....
  • I do notice highway speed vibrations coming through the gas pedal at 70 - 80 as others have noticed. I'll just mention it to the dealer when I take it in for the next service. Its pretty smooth above and below that speed range.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the touchscreen setup. I miss having buttons for things like seat heaters and the radio.
  • I had a couple of occasions where the seat heaters have refused to activate, I'm not sure what this is about, but it happened twice so far and then seemed to be fine the next time I started the car. Both times I even tried to switch back and forth between seat heating and ventilation, and the ventilation always worked fine.
One additional item that I noticed that isn't really a pro or a con, just a funny observation. Other drivers on the road are not yet used to the LED headlights. I get high-beam flashed at least once every trip when they are on. This reminds me of the 2004 TL, when Xenon headlights were new.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chrisdg19006:
a35tl (02-26-2016), CybrRdr (02-29-2016), GoldnKnight22 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Im the proud owner of a 15 shawd adv. A couple things.

--Your seat heater problem, does that happen when you have used your remote start that time? It was mentioned in another post that when that user used his remote start his heated seats would not work. Something to check and address to the dealer
-- I LOVE the Lane Keep Assist and even more the Adaptive Cruise Control. Its the beginning of semi self driving cars. Makes long driving trips a breeze and a blast.
-- Im sure youve seen the Lane keeping mitigation kick in yet? wether or not you have the Lane Keep Assist on, on the highway, gently glide over the line and the steering wheel will actually vibrate you back into the lane. Super neat!
-- As far as the touch screen setup, its Acuras response to the bad rep they got for the button overload on the previous models. At first, yes its a bit annoying having to use a touch screen for the seat heaters and such when a hard button would be nice, but after a couple months you adjust real quick and now I love the dual screen process!
-- As far as getting high beam flashed I have never had that. While I must admit the headlights are super bright at night, I found they are angled decently low.

GOOD LUCK, have fun, and drive safe!
Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
Congrats on the purchase. Im the proud owner of a 15 shawd adv. A couple things.

--Your seat heater problem, does that happen when you have used your remote start that time? It was mentioned in another post that when that user used his remote start his heated seats would not work. Something to check and address to the dealer
-- I LOVE the Lane Keep Assist and even more the Adaptive Cruise Control. Its the beginning of semi self driving cars. Makes long driving trips a breeze and a blast.
-- Im sure youve seen the Lane keeping mitigation kick in yet? wether or not you have the Lane Keep Assist on, on the highway, gently glide over the line and the steering wheel will actually vibrate you back into the lane. Super neat!
-- As far as the touch screen setup, its Acuras response to the bad rep they got for the button overload on the previous models. At first, yes its a bit annoying having to use a touch screen for the seat heaters and such when a hard button would be nice, but after a couple months you adjust real quick and now I love the dual screen process!
-- As far as getting high beam flashed I have never had that. While I must admit the headlights are super bright at night, I found they are angled decently low.

GOOD LUCK, have fun, and drive safe!

Thanks! I use the remote start nearly every time that I drive, so it doesn't seem to have any effect on the seat heater issue for me. Its only happened twice in 6 weeks of ownership so far. I have seen the lane departure mitigation, I agree its pretty neat. I do recognize that the dual screen setup was in response to the reviews which mentioned the 4Gs had button overload and I am getting used to it. It seems to be the wave of the future for all newer cars these days.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the touchscreen setup. I miss having buttons for things like seat heaters and the radio.
x2. I much prefer a direct access to knobs.

It is always 2 steps. Ridiculous. I don't see the benefit.

Gimme a manual AC unit like I had in my BMW. I don't like when the AUTO mode has mind of its own that I don't understand.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006
Hi Everyone,

I'm an occasional poster, but longtime Acura owner. I've had a 2004 TL w/Tech, 2008 TL/Type-S, 2010 TL SHAWD/Tech, and 2013 TL SHAWD/Tech. I turned in the 2013 TL for a leased 2016 TLX SHAWD/Advanced. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the new TLX. As you will see, I feel like the TLX is more of an evolution of the 3rd gen TL rather than the 4th gen.

PROS:
  • Lower weight and increased handling dynamics vs. the previous generation TL are definitely apparent from the driver's perspective. In fact, the first time I drove it, I was taken back to the experience of the 3rd gen Type-S, but with SHAWD. Acceleration feels similar to the Type-S as well, much stronger than the 4th gen cars, especially in Sport or Sport+ modes.
  • Increased gas mileage vs. 4th gen. Again, its more in line with the experience I had with the 3rd gen TLs, getting in the high 20's to low 30's depending on how much I am pushing it.
  • 9-speed transmission seems to work well for me, shifts are smooth and crisp and I didn't notice a lot of gear hunting. It seems to me like Acura worked out the 1st year issues.
  • I like the start/stop feature when sitting at long stop lights. Its not perfectly smooth on restart, but still better than BMWs version. You can also turn it off if you want, or just set the IDS to Sport+
  • LKAS is pretty neat, I usually demonstrate it for passengers on the highway. They are impressed when they see the steering wheel turning by itself. I have read that some people find it annoying, but you can always turn it off just like the start/stop feature.
  • Factory remote start is great, I use it all the time.

CONS:
  • No more DVD audio even though there is a CD slot. I really wish they hadn't gotten rid of DVD audio. As most audio enthusiasts will attest to, ITunes and Android music is less than CD quality. Oh well....
  • I do notice highway speed vibrations coming through the gas pedal at 70 - 80 as others have noticed. I'll just mention it to the dealer when I take it in for the next service. Its pretty smooth above and below that speed range.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the touchscreen setup. I miss having buttons for things like seat heaters and the radio.
  • I had a couple of occasions where the seat heaters have refused to activate, I'm not sure what this is about, but it happened twice so far and then seemed to be fine the next time I started the car. Both times I even tried to switch back and forth between seat heating and ventilation, and the ventilation always worked fine.
One additional item that I noticed that isn't really a pro or a con, just a funny observation. Other drivers on the road are not yet used to the LED headlights. I get high-beam flashed at least once every trip when they are on. This reminds me of the 2004 TL, when Xenon headlights were new.
I just came out of a 2007 TL-S 6MT, and I noticed the same thing. The TLX really feels a lot like that car, with a more compliant suspension (I really like that) and SH-AWD (I FUCKING LOVE SH-AWD!). I really like how light the car feels compared to the used 4G TL I test drove.

I get from the mid-20's to the high 30's depending where and when I'm driving, now that the car's broken in. I use full synthetic oil.

The 9AT is also working well for me. Doesn't seem to hunt gears really and is fairly quick to shift.

DVD Audio there is a workaround. You can convert the files to DTS but the CD will have lower capacity.

The seat heater thing is a software bug that occasionally happens after remote starting the car. It won't go away until the car is turned off then on again. Mildly annoying but only had it happen to me 2 times in 2 months.

The car is very comfortable and quiet on long drives. SO so so much better than my Type-S for that.

Also my seat heaters/ventilators are automatically operated and yours should be too in the Advance version, so you shouldn't need to use the touchscreen to get in there. I find they work great on automatic mode, just the right temperature setting. The auto climate control seems to work better than in my Type-S as well.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
You can convert the files to DTS but the CD will have lower capacity.
Care to elaborate or point to how to?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
You can convert the files to DTS but the CD will have lower capacity.
Care to elaborate or point to how to?
I used a tool called "DVD Audio Extractor". Seemed to work pretty well, just Google for it. It has a 30-day free trial so you can see how it works. It was pretty easy to use, and they have a tutorial. Then you have to burn the DTS CD. Generally you'll need about 2 DTS CD's for each 1 DVD Audio disc.

See the following thread right here on Acurazine:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...ersion-918969/