AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   2016 TLX - *CRAZY* remote story (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/2016-tlx-%2Acrazy%2A-remote-story-969044/)

lindros2 04-17-2018 11:05 AM

2016 TLX - *CRAZY* remote story

So we used our remote to pop the trunk yesterday (in a parking lot), and the trunk on a TLX near ours popped open.
Mine did not (I guess it's first one to respond wins). We did not attempt a second time.
Since we were scared of remote issues with our traded 2014 MDX (see here: ATTENTION 3RD GEN MDX OWNERS, MDX's are being stolen in the Greater Toronto Area!!! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums), this spooked me.
Has anyone else seen this?

justnspace 04-17-2018 11:10 AM

you gotta go back and try it again!!!

justnspace 04-17-2018 11:10 AM

ya know...for science!

lindros2 04-17-2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16220049)
you gotta go back and try it again!!!

All humor and sarcasm aside, it's not funny.
We were going to leave a note in the trunk, but I think that's technically trespassing.

thoiboi 04-17-2018 12:44 PM

trespassing.. :scratch: how do you figure?

lindros2 04-17-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16220098)

if you enter into another vehicle without permission, it could be filed as attempted auto burglary, larceny, criminal mischief, or trespassing.

But this is isn’t the goddamn point.

ACURA REMOTES have been an issue since the 2014 MDX (or earlier). Now this.

18TLXAspec 04-17-2018 03:30 PM

Have you contacted Acura Client Relations to see if it's a known issue with a solution?

cu2wagon 04-17-2018 06:16 PM

I'm not sure what the goddamn point is supposed to be... But is is possible you were slightly out of range and the other owner popped their trunk at the same time?

Statistically, if you randomly A) were parked near another TLX, B) we're able to pop their trunk (assumption), then you should be able to go to a dealer and get a car on the lot to do the same thing. Presumably they'd be okay with you trying it. For science.

spoiler900 04-18-2018 01:15 AM

I work at a dealer and every day am clicking the remote to open trunks of TLX RDX MDX ILX RLX etc and there are literally dozens of the same car parked next to the one I am opening and have never heard of or seen this issue

justnspace 04-18-2018 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2 (Post 16220077)
All humor and sarcasm aside, it's not funny.
We were going to leave a note in the trunk, but I think that's technically trespassing.

have you tried opening more trunks yet???
it's for science.

AZuser 04-18-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2 (Post 16220077)

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16220098)

Originally Posted by lindros2 (Post 16220145)
if you enter into another vehicle without permission, it could be filed as attempted auto burglary, larceny, criminal mischief, or trespassing.

Leaving a note in the trunk is trespassing? :what: Would tossing a note from the sidewalk onto someones front yard be trespassing? How about slipping a note under the front door of someone's home?

cu2wagon 04-18-2018 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AZuser (Post 16220772)
Leaving a note in the trunk is trespassing? :what: Would tossing a note from the sidewalk onto someones front yard be trespassing? How about slipping a note under the front door of someone's home?

Yes, yes, and yes. Enjoy your jail time, criminal.

thoiboi 04-18-2018 11:58 AM

would the note be charged as an accessory to the crime?

asking for a friend :ponder:

nothome17 04-18-2018 02:38 PM

Nice.. an extra trunk to use.

AZuser 04-18-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by nothome17 (Post 16220934)
Nice.. an extra trunk to use.

To store the dead bodies?

lindros2 04-23-2018 01:39 PM

For all the sarcasm, I hope your 5G TLX's experience this.
And clearly based on the owners remarks here, I can imagine dealers must really want to help you.
This is why we dumped our MDX (potential of remote channel hacking).
What a bunch of dbags. Geez.

cu2wagon 04-23-2018 01:59 PM

Well, to be honest, you've presented a *singular* instance of an occurrence, with no corroborating or replicated proof.

To the point of your original post, no, it seems like no one else, besides yourself, have seen this so it may not be as big of an issue as you're making it out to be. Certainly, it might be of the utmost importance to *you* but others don't necessarily share, nor should they share, the same sense.

Tangential to that, you sort of opened yourself up to some well deserved ribbing with that "tresspassing" line of reasoning.

And finally, based on your last post which reiterates the same point as your first, I'll humbly suggest you should get rid of your TLX as well and invest in something of a more analog vintage if you want to elliminate any semblance of a *potential* for hacking.

Just remember to lock, and double check, your doors when you leave your vehicle. It's the best defense against vehicular tresspassing, although it can't seem to prevent the potential of a good old fashioned brick through the window.

Good day and happy motoring!

18TLXAspec 04-23-2018 02:13 PM

I can appreciate the concern and some of the ribbing. I've not experienced the issue with my '18 TLX, but years ago while on travel had a rental car which the physical key could do everything except start the car for other rental cars from the same agency. Considering some folks are guided, or just sensible enough, to put items in the trunk to keep them out of view thereby not luring someone to break into the car to steal said item I can definitely appreciate the concern.

As far as the trespassing dialogue is concerned, that's a pretty big stretch and I can't say leaving a note in the trunk is likely to be found at any point in the near future. A well placed note under the driver's side windshield wiper would be an acceptable approach taking into account your concerns and the probability of it being found.

justnspace 04-23-2018 02:28 PM

I also was genuinely curious about re-creating the event, via science experiement.
if didnt attempt a 2nd time, how can you positively say that your key fob is capable of opening other trunks?

we know the dangers of wireless radio frequencies...we know they can be intercepted and copied. we know this.
because regular people can build an intercepter/repeater and just play back the frequencies to open things.
this is not new.

if one really wanted to prevent this, ALWAYS use the physical key to lock the door. that way there's NO way an intercepter can repeat the signal

18TLXAspec 04-24-2018 08:41 AM

Maybe it was an Amazon test delivery gone awry?
Amazon Starts Delivering Goods to the Trunk of Your Car

miner 04-24-2018 12:27 PM

I have a 2015 TLX Adv. While walking in our parking garage I used the trunk release remote each time we passed a TLX. Not one opened their trunk with my remote. A small sampling, but a sampling of sorts.

Mr Hyde 04-24-2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by miner (Post 16223910)
I have a 2015 TLX Adv. While walking in our parking garage I used the trunk release remote each time we passed a TLX. Not one opened their trunk with my remote. A small sampling, but a sampling of sorts.

Same here. Own an MDX too, and both cars are over 3 yrs old now. Never had this occur even once, and MDXs are a dime a dozen in NY, TLXs are almost as common.