2016 Acura TLX Windshield Camera

Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Acura TLX Windshield Camera

Hey guys I am new to the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I was driving home from the gym tonight and the person in front of me ran over and kicked up some debris. The debris hit my car and deeply scratched my windshield and roof of my car. I just spoke with insurance and they said that they could go after the guy who kicked up the debris if I had any information on him. I was wondering, as I am sure it's a long shot, but does the camera in the windshield record? If it did, it might have caught his license plate. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It doesn't, not in the way you are thinking. That camera is just for reading lane markers.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
It doesn't, not in the way you are thinking. That camera is just for reading lane markers.

thanks for the reply. i figured as much. off to get estimates tomorrow. ill have to eat the deductible!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Surprised insurance told you they could go after the debris kicker. I had this happen to me as well. Scratches on hood, cracked windshield. Still don't know what was kicked up that day, hub cab, bag of rocks, severed head??!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I am surprised as well as this usually falls under comprehensive coverage not collision. I carry 0 deductible on my comprehensive coverage as it is not much more and it paid off when debris hit the side of my A6? Cost me nothing out of pocket, $1800 repaid and rental car for 2 weeks. It does not ding you as it is not a collision event. Also 0 deductible comprehensive covers windshield repairs for various damage especially if in drivers line of sight. Had same thing to my M37S on 800 mile road trip with truck kicking up some rocks that put 3 chip in my line of sight, and again 0 out of pocket new windshield.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Make sure you get an ACURA OEM windshield!! My windshield just got replaced while in the body shop for hail damage and the body shop replaced the factory glass with the brand PGW. After getting my car back, LKAS wasn't working so I figured the cameras just needed to be recalibrated. Take it to the dealer, they try to reprogram it but the aftermarket non-oem glass doesn't have the correct lines or something (can't remember exactly what he said).

So long story short after getting brand new glass put on my car, the body shop now has to pay for and install an Acura OEM windshield because the cameras won't work with any other windshield. So just a heads up, it'll save you from a big headache.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Make sure you get an ACURA OEM windshield!! My windshield just got replaced while in the body shop for hail damage and the body shop replaced the factory glass with the brand PGW. After getting my car back, LKAS wasn't working so I figured the cameras just needed to be recalibrated. Take it to the dealer, they try to reprogram it but the aftermarket non-oem glass doesn't have the correct lines or something (can't remember exactly what he said).

So long story short after getting brand new glass put on my car, the body shop now has to pay for and install an Acura OEM windshield because the cameras won't work with any other windshield. So just a heads up, it'll save you from a big headache.
Don't most insurance companies only pay for Non-OEM Windshields ? Unless you pay the difference out of your own pocket.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by comptr
Don't most insurance companies only pay for Non-OEM Windshields ? Unless you pay the difference out of your own pocket.
I have State Farm and it's been no issue to get an OEM windshield.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
I have State Farm and it's been no issue to get an OEM windshield.
Really, I guess my parents & I will find out next time we need a windshield replaced, since we are all use state farm for our car insurance.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Windshield Manufacturers: OEM, Dealer, and aftermarket
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is pretty surprising that your insurance covers incidents like that. Maybe its time to invest in a dashcam?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ericwudi0830
That is pretty surprising that your insurance covers incidents like that. Maybe its time to invest in a dashcam?
I bought a clip-on mirror Papago... excellent!

I don't want to leave it in the parking....it is a blitz to remove and reinstall. I have been busted twice in the last years, and it cost me more than $1500.

Yes, there is a wire, but I don't mind.

Search this Thread