2015 TLX vs 2006 TL

Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM
ranger

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 TLX vs 2006 TL

I am interested in the advice of anyone who has moved from a third generation TL to a TLX.

Our 2006 TL has treated us well. It has only 70K miles, has been to the dealer only for the PS recall and alignment. I did replace the tires and battery and that's it. It runs and looks fine (been lucky).

Is the new TLX so superior that it is worth moving up? How is the quality of the interior? Would I be disappointed in the 4 cylinder version? How do the LED lights compare to the HID?

Our TL has been on three cross-country road trips without a problem and we plan another for next year. However, like me, it has some age on it now...

thanks,

Ranger
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Ranger, only you can answer those questions. In my humble opinion, you should visit your local Acura dealer and request an extensive test drive of both the 4cyl. and V6 models. To me, the 2 models are like night and day with the TLX a real step up.. Others on A-zine think no TL version made since the 3G can ever compare to the model you have.

The LED headlights are great!

Last edited by Stew4HD; 02-17-2015 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
justnspace (02-17-2015), youngTL (08-24-2016)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
have you sat in a new TLX?

sounds like ALL your questions will be answered in a short little test drive of the TLX.

*edit
Stew beat me to the punch
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Ranger, have you driven the TLX? Sat in it?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger
I am interested in the advice of anyone who has moved from a third generation TL to a TLX.

Our 2006 TL has treated us well. It has only 70K miles, has been to the dealer only for the PS recall and alignment. I did replace the tires and battery and that's it. It runs and looks fine (been lucky).

Is the new TLX so superior that it is worth moving up? How is the quality of the interior? Would I be disappointed in the 4 cylinder version? How do the LED lights compare to the HID?

Our TL has been on three cross-country road trips without a problem and we plan another for next year. However, like me, it has some age on it now...

thanks,

Ranger
One thing for sure - the tech and safety features in a 2015 will surpass that in a 2006 by a country mile. If that's something of interest then you owe it to yourself to take one out for an extended drive.
justnspace (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
My opinions as follows:
-It's true the TLX has updated systems, stereo, BT, and safety systems and I'm sure the TL is technically 'archaic' compared.
-Are you willing to take on a car payment (or pay $35000 or possibly more to own one)?
-If your TL is at 70K miles, runs well, and you're happy with it (and assuming it's paid in full), why take on another payment? 70K on a TL is just getting broken in, and I have no doubt it has a lot more life left in it.
-I4 vs V6 - with the TL, you already have the V6- if you get the I4 (maybe to equal the price of your V6 TL when you bought it), will it be a 'downgrade' engine wise, to you compared to what you have?
-As far as I'm concerned, it comes down to wants vs. needs. If you want the upgrade and are willing to take on the payment, go for it. Otherwise, if you're cheap (like me), get as much life from your TL as possible. Only you can test drive one and make the decision if the upgrade is worth it to you.

I often check out new cars and imagine driving something new (or newer used), then realize that in truth, replacing my TL provides me with no clear advantage since I've updated mine with BT audio, remote start, and it already has a lot of the options that I want/ need. I would have buyers remorse if I sold the TL and got something else.

If my TL was costing more to own in repairs, then a decision to replace would make more sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by erdoc48:
Monte TLS,MAX (02-21-2015), smsTL (02-21-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
the TLX is a huge jump from a 3G TL. Everything about the car is better by a significant amount. It's what the 4G should have been.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I had a 3g TL Type S, which we loved. Our TLX V6 SHAWD Tech is a huge upgrade in every way. It is so much quieter, smoother riding, and yet it handles even better, especially when starting aggressively and going around corners. It gets much better gas mileage (even the way I drive it) and it is FAST.

One VERY important caveat -- tires. As with the TL and Type S, Acura has put less than stellar tires on these cars. I had been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on the Type S, and I refused to drive the TLX out of the showroom on anything less, so I had them put on the 19" Acura wheels. All the complaints in reviews about vague steering, poor cornering, blah blah blah are all due to the pathetic tires they put on these cars, and only a handful of reviewers were savvy enough to understand that.
The following 3 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
a35tl (02-17-2015), tmitch2315 (03-02-2015), youngTL (08-24-2016)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ranger. I went through the same process. I've driven the TLX extensively, having had two cars as loaners over several days, both FWD and SH-AWD. I have an 04 ASPEC that I purchased new with 95K. The car is in mint condition. I also own a Lexus IS. For me its apples and oranges. Although some cues harken back to the 3G car, overall the TLX offers something different. I do like its quiet comfy ride, but I feel the car is more of big highway cruiser than sports sedan, i.e. a Lexus ES. I'm optimistic about a possible future type S version and more changes at the MMC, but right now I'm holding off. I'm looking for the gotta have it factor of my ASPEC. Until then no car payments is a good thing.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I was in the same situation with a 2006 TL that had about 80K miles. It was working perfectly with no major issues, but for me after 9 years it was time for a change. It was a case of want rather than need.

If your priority is just getting from point A to point B with minimum cost then stay with the TL.

I got the Elite because I wanted all the added features. For performance, getting from A to B, the I4 would have been fine but it does not have the added features. My driving style does not require upgraded tires so stock are fine, except for winter boot during the cold season.

So if your "want" is strong and the budget can stand it then go for some test drives.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
As others have said, you are the only one that can answer those questions. Assuming finance isn't an issue, then it really comes down to how much you want a new car.

The TLX will beat the TL hands down for safety and available features.

From my test drive, I found both TLX 2.4 and 3.5 to be very smooth and quiet. I really enjoyed the 8-DCT in the 2.4 trim. I had a 2002 TL Type S which is on par with your 2006 TL in terms of straight line performance. I felt that the 2.4 was slower. The TLX 3.5 AWD on the other hand is very quick off the line. Having 9 forward gears plus traction from 4 wheels are huge.

I don't think the interior quality in the TLX was very impressive. I'd say it's about average in this class. Hard to say if it's any better or worse than your TL.

If you enjoy road trips, then I think you will really enjoy the significantly quieter and smoother ride.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
As a previous TL-S owner, I would say yes compared to my old car, the TLX is much modern and intelligent car I would say. Some of the features are pretty neat .... Gas Mileage is amazing, safety features are pretty impressive. I would never go for the 4 cylinder model. Tires I had no issue as mine came with Bridgestone Potenza's for some reason which were the same tires that came on my Type S. I love the handling and the road grip.
Like the gentleman above said, its more a wants vs needs issue.
Good Luck !
aboysua6 (02-18-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Ranger- sounds like you're the original owner of the TL. You don't put a lot of miles on the car so it might make better financial sense to keep what you have. There are a lot of little improvements that the TLX offers, but only you can answer if they are worth coughing an extra $25k+ to get into a new TLX (I'm assuming a generous 10k tradein and a FWD TLX).

I would say, if AWD and quietness is important to you get the TLX. If those things are not, stick with what you have.

Having looked at the interior and sitting in the TLX, I'm not very impressed. I think the exposed cupholders are tacky and really dislike the lack of a mechanical parking brake, and lack of European style door grab handles. I do like the sunglass holder though in the TLX but that and the fold-down seat are the only things I like about the interior at this stage besides the quietness.
Monte TLS,MAX (02-21-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Well as you can see in the pics....my wife drives the TLX V6 tech package with OEM kit with Expresso Interior which she leased for a year from American Honda since she works there. I drive my 06 TL couple times a week just to save mileage and gas of course. We also own the 14 Accord which she was driving to work everyday (90 miles roundtrip =30k in 1 year) which is why we leased the TLX since maintenace is included and were allowed 30k miles. We've had the TLX since 1/6/15. Overall i think the car is nice... Interior and exterior look is great to my likings. The only thing Im really dislike about this car is the transmission when its in Normal mode. 1-2 shifts are harsh when its cold. When it reaches its normal temp... I feel that lag when your in city driving, as if like the car had hard time getting up to speed. Maybe i'm just light footed but with my 06 TL, it goes smoother and picks up speed a bit quicker in normal everyday driving. Now in Sport mode, I feel like the gears stay in gear for a bit longer and sometimes a bit higher than normal mode. One thing that I can truly compliment about the TLX is the handling and MPG's on the freeway (averaging about 28.9 both city and hwy driving) which is not to bad at all. Now I'm sure a lot of questions have been brought up if current 3rd gen TL owners would give it up for a TLX. Honestly, it all depends on each individual. Personally, I still have mixed feelings about this car. Were definitely keeping the TL and the Accord since there both paid off.

Name:  20150117_102807_zps13f90d79.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  20150117_102550_zpscc8e7d91.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  36.8 KB
Monte TLS,MAX (02-21-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Love that white TLX!! I am envious of your wife being able to lease a car for such a small duration...the perk of the job I guess
aboysua6 (02-19-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Love that white TLX!! I am envious of your wife being able to lease a car for such a small duration...the perk of the job I guess
What color TLX do you really like, weather? Don't keep us in suspense
weather (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM
ranger

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. I will look for an opportunity to test drive a couple of TLXs but there is no hurry. It really is a 'want' vs. 'need' issue since our TL looks and runs well. I have looked at a few other similar sized cars, (Mercedes, Fusion, Cadilac, Audi) but either they lack features I already have or they are $10K + more than a similarly equipped TLX.

Maybe the 2016 model will make it easier to decide...

Thanks,

Ranger
Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Thanks!... She's been with American Honda for 10 years now..and this was the first company car she leased..hahah. No need to fill out credit applications.. Say if the car is $300/ month .. they just deduct $150 every two weeks from your paycheck. All maintenance is included... even brakes or tires...
Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
What color TLX do you really like, weather? Don't keep us in suspense
My TLX and tighty whities have something in common (well, except for the interior color )
silverTL6 (03-04-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
the TLX is a huge jump from a 3G TL. Everything about the car is better by a significant amount. It's what the 4G should have been.
I strongly disagree with the above statement on everything about TLX is better. I upgraded from 2007 TL type-S to the 2.4 TLX.

1) TLX is much quieter. This is noticeable during the test drive.
2) 2.4 i4 engine is a downgrade from 3.5 V6. While the 2.4 engine is more fuel efficient, the v6 surely wins on the acceleration and smoothness. With lower gas price now, there are very few economic reasons to like the 2.4 engine.
3) TLX tech or above has more safety features. But the car is also lighter and its body feels less solid than the 3G TL. I am not sure the TLX will be better in a collision.
4) TLX has slightly smaller interior space compared to the 3G TL and its trunk space is also smaller.

If I were you, I will drive the 2006 TL for a little longer and perhaps test drive a 2016 TLX when it comes out, partially in consideration of the glitches with the all-new 2015 TLX such as its transmission etc...
Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyw
I strongly disagree with the above statement on everything about TLX is better. I upgraded from 2007 TL type-S to the 2.4 TLX.

1) TLX is much quieter. This is noticeable during the test drive.
2) 2.4 i4 engine is a downgrade from 3.5 V6. While the 2.4 engine is more fuel efficient, the v6 surely wins on the acceleration and smoothness. With lower gas price now, there are very few economic reasons to like the 2.4 engine.
3) TLX tech or above has more safety features. But the car is also lighter and its body feels less solid than the 3G TL. I am not sure the TLX will be better in a collision.
4) TLX has slightly smaller interior space compared to the 3G TL and its trunk space is also smaller.

If I were you, I will drive the 2006 TL for a little longer and perhaps test drive a 2016 TLX when it comes out, partially in consideration of the glitches with the all-new 2015 TLX such as its transmission etc...
I have to LOL smaller and less safe? Saying that it feels less solid is purely subjective.

TLX Cargo Volume (SAE) 13.2 cu ft: without Advance Package
14.3 cu ft: with Advance Package

3G cargo volume 12.5 cu.ft.

Weight:
3G CURB WEIGHT 3623 lbs.
TLX I4 : 3492 lb V6: 3585 lb.

So you think that because the car is lighter that it is less safe? Why would you go from a V6 to a I4?

I had a 3G. a 4G and now TLX. The TLX wins, hands down, to me.

The die hard 3G owners disagree which is okay.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 02-19-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I had an '04 TL that I finally sold after 246,000+ miles and got the V6 TLX Advance. In almost all aspects, the TLX is a better car except for

1) The driving feel. This car is subtly quick. Even when you floor it, it's composed and quiet. The TL, on the other hand, made you feel like you were racing something when you floored the pedal.

2) The ELS stereo in the TL provided better "thump" if you're into hip hop or tunes with somewhat heavy bass. The TLX seems a bit lacking in this department. However, in all other areas where higher frequencies and clarity are concerned (jazz, classical, downtempo, etc.) the TLX system seems to me to be a better system.

I'd still rather have the physical buttons in the TL than at least some of the touchscreen buttons in the TLX with their multiple-press routines to turn something on/off.

Having driven my TL since August, I can honestly say the biggest annoyance I have with it is probably the clunky gearshifts 1-2 and 2-3 from what I can tell. But oh man, the mileage and the quiet trips to work and home and on interstates. That may make up for it.
jduong29 (02-23-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
wow.... 250000 miles.....amazing....
Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
1) I did not compare the technical data on trunk Volume. But somehow the TLX's trunk feels not as tall as the 3G TL's. Also the TLX's trunk layout is a bit different. Stuffs that used to fit in my TL type-s do not fit in my TLX's any more. However, with TLX you can fold down back seats which helps a lot.

2) Heavier cars do have an advantage in collision although it depends on where the weight is distributed and located. I do feel that the sheet metal used to construct TLX is not as thick as my TL type-S.

3) TL type-S feels more solid and sportier partially because its body has less flex and less body roll when cornering at higher speed.

4) Why did I buy the I-4? I listened too much to those automobile journalists whose articles said the I-4 engine drove sportier and more responsive.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have to LOL smaller and less safe? Saying that it feels less solid is purely subjective.

TLX Cargo Volume (SAE) 13.2 cu ft: without Advance Package
14.3 cu ft: with Advance Package

3G cargo volume 12.5 cu.ft.

Weight:
3G CURB WEIGHT 3623 lbs.
TLX I4 : 3492 lb V6: 3585 lb.

So you think that because the car is lighter that it is less safe? Why would you go from a V6 to a I4?

I had a 3G. a 4G and now TLX. The TLX wins, hands down, to me.

The die hard 3G owners disagree which is okay.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^
"TL type-S feels more solid and sportier partially because its body has less flex and less body roll when cornering at higher speed."
There is no way that the old car has a stiffer chassis with less body flex, however the TL-S definitely corners flatter (with a corresponding lowering of ride quality). I would suggest that the "feel" of solidity comes mostly from the stiff suspension and heavy steering effort.

Edited to add some figures regarding stiffness:
The TLX:
TLX body rigidity is enhanced by precise engineering, particularly in optimizing key component fitting points (up to 25 percent stiffer) for superior bending stiffness, and the unit-body structure's torsional rigidity is up 21-percent vs. the previous TL.
Back in 2009 (the previous model)
The 2009 Acura TL is 15-percent more rigid overall than its predecessor in key areas, which directly improves handling agility, ride quality, interior quietness and overall durability. Specific rigidity advancements include:
This means that a TLX is 21% stiffer than the (already) 15% stiffer car (4G) than a 3G TL

Last edited by Colin; 02-20-2015 at 05:25 PM.
benjaminh (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Except to those of us who think its more of a downgrade from the 4G TL, but an upgrade to the TSX.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger
Thanks to all that took the time to reply. I will look for an opportunity to test drive a couple of TLXs but there is no hurry. It really is a 'want' vs. 'need' issue since our TL looks and runs well. I have looked at a few other similar sized cars, (Mercedes, Fusion, Cadilac, Audi) but either they lack features I already have or they are $10K + more than a similarly equipped TLX.

Maybe the 2016 model will make it easier to decide...

Thanks,

Ranger
For information, there are much higher discounts at least for the Mercedes these days so it may not be the $10K+ you quoted above. The differences for me at the end of last year was about $5.5K, ($41K TLX vs $46.5K C300 4Matic) so it was worth it for me to go with a Mercedes. I gave my +100K mi 06' TL to my daughter but if I was in your shoes, I would keep the 06 a bit longer.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Yes for technology. you can take a 2015 civic and it has more techs on it than a 10 years old 3G.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I had an '04 TL that I finally sold after 246,000+ miles and got the V6 TLX Advance. In almost all aspects, the TLX is a better car except for

1) The driving feel. This car is subtly quick. Even when you floor it, it's composed and quiet. The TL, on the other hand, made you feel like you were racing something when you floored the pedal.

2) The ELS stereo in the TL provided better "thump" if you're into hip hop or tunes with somewhat heavy bass. The TLX seems a bit lacking in this department. However, in all other areas where higher frequencies and clarity are concerned (jazz, classical, downtempo, etc.) the TLX system seems to me to be a better system.

I'd still rather have the physical buttons in the TL than at least some of the touchscreen buttons in the TLX with their multiple-press routines to turn something on/off.

Having driven my TL since August, I can honestly say the biggest annoyance I have with it is probably the clunky gearshifts 1-2 and 2-3 from what I can tell. But oh man, the mileage and the quiet trips to work and home and on interstates. That may make up for it.
@ Rocketsfan: I have a TL with 220,000 miles and just started to think about the possibility of selling it. Kindly I ask....How much did you sell yours for?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
Yes for technology. you can take a 2015 civic and it has more techs on it than a 10 years old 3G.
Not just tech. More (and less) hp, better gas mileage, refined AWD system, better materials, updated interior and exterior design, DCT or 9 speed tranny, IDS modes, fold down seats, improved Nvh....list goes on.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by aboysua6
Well as you can see in the pics....my wife drives the TLX V6 tech package with OEM kit with Expresso Interior which she leased for a year from American Honda since she works there. I drive my 06 TL couple times a week just to save mileage and gas of course. We also own the 14 Accord which she was driving to work everyday (90 miles roundtrip =30k in 1 year) which is why we leased the TLX since maintenace is included and were allowed 30k miles. We've had the TLX since 1/6/15. Overall i think the car is nice... Interior and exterior look is great to my likings. The only thing Im really dislike about this car is the transmission when its in Normal mode. 1-2 shifts are harsh when its cold. When it reaches its normal temp... I feel that lag when your in city driving, as if like the car had hard time getting up to speed. Maybe i'm just light footed but with my 06 TL, it goes smoother and picks up speed a bit quicker in normal everyday driving. Now in Sport mode, I feel like the gears stay in gear for a bit longer and sometimes a bit higher than normal mode. One thing that I can truly compliment about the TLX is the handling and MPG's on the freeway (averaging about 28.9 both city and hwy driving) which is not to bad at all. Now I'm sure a lot of questions have been brought up if current 3rd gen TL owners would give it up for a TLX. Honestly, it all depends on each individual. Personally, I still have mixed feelings about this car. Were definitely keeping the TL and the Accord since there both paid off.

Some sweet rear ends!
aboysua6 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
And no visible tail pipes in either!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
i still can't believe i still haven't test drove tlx...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Instructor

I had a 2007 TLs also and can't wait to get new tires on the TLX. So glad 9SpeedTran posted comments about tires. That was my only complaint compared to the TLs, vague steering. Otherwise huge upgrade and the TLs was stiffer but the steering system on the TLX adds to cornering ability and turn circle.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by tmitch2315
I had a 2007 TLs also and can't wait to get new tires on the TLX. So glad 9SpeedTran posted comments about tires. That was my only complaint compared to the TLs, vague steering. Otherwise huge upgrade and the TLs was stiffer but the steering system on the TLX adds to cornering ability and turn circle.
I drove a 4 cyl TLX with the top rated all seasons michelins on Tire Rack (not the AS3 - my son has those as summer tires but they are suicide in winter here). In normal driving I could tell no difference to the OEMs on mine at the time. But 19s are always going to give a firmer ride, more noise and more steering feel than 17s. I drove a 4gen TL with 19HFPs and michelin summers and thought it horrible. Nasty crashy ride quality on typical weather beaten roads. Not a sacrifice I'd put up with but then I am old. I'd reserve them for a track.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
hi Ranger, I've got an 06 TL also, and have also pondered this

skipping generations, it will probably feel light years ahead when our 06's due for replacement

but as long as Acura keeps making fine cars, i'll definitely consider staying within the family
Stew4HD (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy305
@ Rocketsfan: I have a TL with 220,000 miles and just started to think about the possibility of selling it. Kindly I ask....How much did you sell yours for?

Thanks
Sorry for the late response, but I sold mine with a bad catalytic converter (the only reason I sold it when I did ... I wanted to get to 250,000 miles... lol). I only got $2k (from CarMax) for it back in August because of the check engine light. I probably should've been able to get $3000-$4000 otherwise.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 03-03-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Coming from a 3G you will be generally pleased with the TLX....leaving tech out of the equation (all cars nowadays have more modern electronics....even a Ford Fusion can park itself) it will not blow your mind from a fundamental driving experience perspective but you will be pleased....but probably not with the 4 banger.

I would still frown upon the abandonment of the DWB for simple MacPherson struts but that's me, I'm a car technology purist I guess...

Go and test drive one and you will know.

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-03-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought 2005 TL new and drove it 6 years and trouble-free 110k miles . I recently bought another 2005 TL with 60k miles. I also have a manual 2003 CL Type S. So I like not having a payment and I'm not all that into new tech.

I finally was able to test drive a TLX V6 AWD Tech. I took my time and put on about 30 miles on different roads.

Interior: TLX seats are noticeably more comfortable. The tech was overwhelming and uncomfortable at first. Just finding the volume control took a couple minutes and first impressions of the info screen was not favorable. I agree a few more buttons would be nice, but over time I'm sure it would become the new normal. Back seat seemed smaller, but the numbers do not support that.

Driving: It is quieter, but not as noticeable to me - my 3rd gen has new all seasons so it's pretty quiet for now. I quickly became a fan of the transmission and the driving modes. I read about Sport+ mode but I was shocked by the experience - a lot of fun. Handling was as expected.

Overall the car is more refined and had more of a luxury feel. But it responded when pushed. I think Acura did a great job with this car and I anticipate owning one... some day.

That said, I'm was not disappointed at all jumping back in my 3rd gen for the 100 mile trip home. When I got home I took out the CL (intake, headers) and was reminded that a 12 year old car worth $6k is still a lot of fun. And as much as I liked the TLX's transmission, nothing can replace a manual.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vai777 are you saying that the es350 drives better than the TLX? Can someone chime in....
Originally Posted by vai777
Hi Ranger. I went through the same process. I've driven the TLX extensively, having had two cars as loaners over several days, both FWD and SH-AWD. I have an 04 ASPEC that I purchased new with 95K. The car is in mint condition. I also own a Lexus IS. For me its apples and oranges. Although some cues harken back to the 3G car, overall the TLX offers something different. I do like its quiet comfy ride, but I feel the car is more of big highway cruiser than sports sedan, i.e. a Lexus ES. I'm optimistic about a possible future type S version and more changes at the MMC, but right now I'm holding off. I'm looking for the gotta have it factor of my ASPEC. Until then no car payments is a good thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 TLX vs 2006 TL