2015 TLX is official!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by SirCarroll
Heated steering wheel and seat warmer for back too..keyfob that will withstand more abuse and key fob with some way to link it with a remote start option..ability to completely turn off the drls while the car is in park..ability to have stereo continue to play after turning engine off.
Just for clarity, the current driver's seat back is heated. I assume you are referring to the passenger seatback...?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ or the back seats all together is what he was trying to say. As in not just the driver and passenger but all seats in the vehicle.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
..ability to have stereo continue to play after turning engine off.
This is available now... just turn it off while in gear and it will go to accessory mode. Then shift into park.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by weather
^^ or the back seats all together is what he was trying to say. As in not just the driver and passenger but all seats in the vehicle.
Didn't think of it that way, but that would be a nice option.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Anxious to see it!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Great discussion and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the final product.

Personally, I doubt we'll see an ED K20T in the 5G TL although I'd love to see it. However, I anticipate that Honda will carry over the J35Y1 from the Accord V6 (and Y2 if a 6MT is available) and then maybe even add the K24W1 powertrain (Accord Sport) to the base trim, possibly tweaking it to 220hp+.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Really surprised at how acura employees can keep things confidential. 2 weeks from release and not even a leaked photo or specs. Maybe no one is paying enough for the information. Lol. cant wait to see it
Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Not sure many of them know much either....

Last edited by Treblig; 01-01-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Man I will miss TSX in Acura lineup but I hope TLX will make brand image more luxurious and yet more refined... hope they bring back something like type-s...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
My wish list
1 - A pleasing front end (not just to a few but liked by most - nothing like the 4G).
2 - Great gas mileage
3 - Great acceleration
4 - Quiet interior
5 - Great handling
6 - State of the art GPS
7 - GPS that lets you enter a destination while in motion or an easy hack for it.
8 - State of the art infotainment that works with the #1 smart phone platform.
9 - Plenty of trunk space.
10 - A chilled cup holder like MB has.
A little more rear leg room might help.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
LOL @ some of the wish lists.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Just for clarity, the current driver's seat back is heated. I assume you are referring to the passenger seatback...?
Yes the back seat for the kiddos.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtrayers
This is available now... just turn it off while in gear and it will go to accessory mode. Then shift into park.
Interesting..I will try this..Would prefer to not have to have it in gear but if that's the only option I'll go with it..Thx for the info.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ If you don't want it in gear, slip it in neutral and turn the engine off, then slide the shifter in the park position. It will do the same.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Heated steering wheel and seat warmer for back too..keyfob that will withstand more abuse and key fob with some way to link it with a remote start option..ability to completely turn off the drls while the car is in park..ability to have stereo continue to play after turning engine off.
Thats what gloves are for. Give me a cooled steering wheel. Spending 8+ hours daily in the car on hot summer days and a cooled steering wheel would be nice.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Thats what gloves are for. Give me a cooled steering wheel. Spending 8+ hours daily in the car on hot summer days and a cooled steering wheel would be nice.
That's what windows are for Much easier to let the heat out then push it in. Really I don't mind the heat as much as I hate hate hate the cold. Before someone suggests I move I love driving in the snow so I'm staying.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
8 - State of the art infotainment that works with the #1 smart phone platform. ( I use an android, my kids and wife uses an iphone for simplicity). It sucks that the usb is set to work perfectly with apple and NOTHING else. Its time for automakers to stop that. They should at least get the API's from the top 3 phone makers and not just one! USB should work like bluetooth at least.
Practically all Hondas work well with Android phones. Just set the phone to USB Storage mode (or whatever the OEMs rename that feature to), and it works just like an USB flash drive is expected to.

If Samsung, Motorola, or HTC kept the same API for the past 7 years, then I'm sure somebody in the auto industry would of bothered. However, my HTC phone from 7 years ago (it doesn't even run Android, they were a Windows shop back then) doesn't even have an external music playback API.

So, since someone might spew off about how HTC's prior ventures mean nothing to the modern world, how about telling Samsung, HTC, LG (the top Android leaders) to stop putting their own, "music" services on their phones? Then the carriers, too? My HTC One has at least two apps, one from HTC, one from Google. AT&T (or somebody) preloaded Amazon's own music app, as well. Do they all have the same external API? I doubt it.

I'm willing to bet, as an unified install base, Apple devices are far more common and widespread than any one OEM variation or 3rd party service on top of Android (which may as well be first party, given how I've seen family members stumble with this).

So... just use "USB Storage mode (or localized equivalent)," and it will work just fine with almost any modern car (as my HTC One does with my MDX). Is it as easy to use as an iDevice? Probably not. Is the iPhone "flawlessly connecting," to this "device set to work perfectly with Apple and NOTHING else[?]" Not a chance, given my coworker's experience with his iPhone 5 and his Accord (you must plug it in before the car starts, or the device will play for a few seconds then suddenly stop and the radio will flash, "unsupported device," plugging it in after the car is started, or hot swapping between two devices, will also trigger this error).
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jshaw
If Samsung, Motorola, or HTC kept the same API for the past 7 years, then I'm sure somebody in the auto industry would of bothered. However, my HTC phone from 7 years ago (it doesn't even run Android, they were a Windows shop back then) doesn't even have an external music playback API.
I guess Ford and others are just performing miracles that are beyond the technical or mojo capabilities of Honda as they work with Android.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
I guess Ford and others are just performing miracles that are beyond the technical or mojo capabilities of Honda as they work with Android.
I had no problems using my Galaxy S3 via BT in my car. Pandora, Google play music worked fine with song info and next track or previous track from steering wheel controls.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by amill
I had no problems using my Galaxy S3 via BT in my car. Pandora, Google play music worked fine with song info and next track or previous track from steering wheel controls.
^^^ Same for the Galaxy S4. I just wish I could figure out how to prevent the music player from auto playing when it connects to BT. I swear I saw some kind of auto-play parameter somewhere.

Last edited by dtrayers; 01-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Instructor

^^^ Same for the Galaxy S4. I just wish I could figure out how to prevent the music player from auto playing when it connects to BT. I swear I saw some kind of auto-play parameter somewhere.
^^^ Yes that. If anyone knows of how to please share.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
This may give some indication of what infotainment system may show up in the TLX...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1171489

This is going in the new Civic.... yes Civic.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

The Civic is becoming a nice little car once again...its come a long way since its FMC in 2012 with constant upgrades year after year. I am looking at buying/leasing another daily driver as I am limited to the Huyndai Accent as the car to drive when the roads are wet/sloppy. A 2014 Civic might be added to the car family later next summer in addition to the Huyndai....although the Elantra GT (hatch) may be considered too.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Summer is Coming

The Civic is becoming a nice little car once again...its come a long way since its FMC in 2012 with constant upgrades year after year. I am looking at buying/leasing another daily driver as I am limited to the Huyndai Accent as the car to drive when the roads are wet/sloppy. A 2014 Civic might be added to the car family later next summer in addition to the Huyndai....although the Elantra GT (hatch) may be considered too.
The new Corolla has come a long way, the interior is pretty nice for a car in its class, and it has LED headlights standard. The 'lower' end of the market is getting better and better.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Do you mean, you don't want music player to be the default program? I deleted it and used google play music for my media and streaming. Works great. Picks up where it left off and displays the song info.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
This may give some indication of what infotainment system may show up in the TLX...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1171489

This is going in the new Civic.... yes Civic.

It's hilarious how stuff about Honda vehicles is being leaked, but nothing about the TL.

BTW, does anyone know how this system compares to what's in the RLX?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I am baffled by the same as well....how can they manage to keep things so secretive, and what is there to gain by doing so? I mean the car is about to get released, why not give us a few little nuggets to get us excited!

Also....moderators....any chance we could create the 5G TL section (or new tab as a 1g TLX) and move the few threads related to the TLX? Or will that occur on Jan 15th? This would at least get us a bit excited that the TLX is finally here
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
However, I anticipate that Honda will carry over the J35Y1 from the Accord V6....
I'm thinking something between that and the J35Y4. Maybe 300 HP. If we're lucky it'll just get the J35Y4 and 310 HP.

And finally, maybe, we'll know what they bought the 9 speed ZF automatic for.

But you know what's really bugging me? The suspension, both front and rear.

The front suspension of the Accord is excellent insofar as McPherson setups go, but how much did they need to change it to account for the changes in attitude provoked by torque vectoring at the rear? You can't just suddenly push on the outside front wheel on a McPherson car and expect to maintain camber unless there's some trick up their sleeves.

And another thing.... Have you stuck your head under the rear end of the current Accord? Doesn't it look like there would have to be some radical moving around to fit either conventional SH-AWD hardware of P-AWS hardware under there?

Can't wait to see how they made this work. Maybe our basic assumption, that it's based on the current Accord, is just wrong!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Imagine the curve ball that would be if they did something like that!! I very highly doubt it given the fact that it would be extremely expensive to not use plateform sharing.

I can just imagine the guys involved in the design/creation of the TLX coming home after work, jumping in their pj's and fuzzy slippers with a bag of chip and a beer and read these forum and laugh their ass off at all the gossiping/speculating we do. They will be so bored after Jan 15th....some might fall into serious depression *lol*
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I'm thinking something between that and the J35Y4. Maybe 300 HP. If we're lucky it'll just get the J35Y4 and 310 HP.

And finally, maybe, we'll know what they bought the 9 speed ZF automatic for.

But you know what's really bugging me? The suspension, both front and rear.

The front suspension of the Accord is excellent insofar as McPherson setups go, but how much did they need to change it to account for the changes in attitude provoked by torque vectoring at the rear? You can't just suddenly push on the outside front wheel on a McPherson car and expect to maintain camber unless there's some trick up their sleeves.

And another thing.... Have you stuck your head under the rear end of the current Accord? Doesn't it look like there would have to be some radical moving around to fit either conventional SH-AWD hardware of P-AWS hardware under there?

Can't wait to see how they made this work. Maybe our basic assumption, that it's based on the current Accord, is just wrong!
George, I noticed your new signature, 2014 RLX Advance. Did you trade in your TL 6MT?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Thanks - love the touchscreen!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
George, I noticed your new signature, 2014 RLX Advance. Did you trade in your TL 6MT?

He was hoodwinked.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-2013-412/did-i-just-get-hoodwinked-901462/
Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Summer is Coming

^^ Imagine the curve ball that would be if they did something like that!! I very highly doubt it given the fact that it would be extremely expensive to not use plateform sharing.

I can just imagine the guys involved in the design/creation of the TLX coming home after work, jumping in their pj's and fuzzy slippers with a bag of chip and a beer and read these forum and laugh their ass off at all the gossiping/speculating we do. They will be so bored after Jan 15th....some might fall into serious depression *lol*
"Folding rear seats?!?!?! That's too hard. Dude, get a pick up truck!"
"Heated steering wheel? Do they know how much that costs? We'll throw in a pair of Acura monogrammed gloves in the glove box, problem solved."
"Wait til they see 'beak 3.0'! They'll LOVE IT!"
"P-AWS on the TLX? We just loosen those tie rod bolts and they'll get all the 'rear steering' they can stand! LOL"
"They are going to love those new reactive dampers. They worked out great on the RDX and ILX"
"New feature for our Canadian market.. Snow Sonar Ultrasound depth Counter Sensor (or Snow SUCS) for measuring the depth of the snow on the road."
Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I am baffled by the same as well....how can they manage to keep things so secretive, and what is there to gain by doing so? I mean the car is about to get released, why not give us a few little nuggets to get us excited!
Honda has had a history of being secretive with new releases and it's baffling why? I have been held waiting in 1976 for the Honda CR125M, 1985 for the Honda Prelude Si, 2006 for the TL-S, and now today for the TLX.

Anyway, they better come out with a compelling product because the Q50 looks pretty enticing for my next car. I just took a long look at one at the San Diego Auto show today.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
T minus 10 days and counting!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by docboy
It was easy to get rid of. For all the bad reviews and unpopularity when new, the 4G TL seemed to maintain its value extraordinarily well, and I think word's got around that the 4G TL (especially SH-AWD and more particularly the 6-6 SH-AWD) is really a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Nothing ever went wrong with that car and I can heartily recommend them to anybody thinking about it. Not a penny was spent on anything other than regular maintenance, the biggest expense being that the OEM tires got close to the wear bars around 65,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
:-p

You know what, though.... After living with this RLX for a while, and after having driven one of the hybrid vehicles to see the difference, I believe that maybe this regular RLX Advance is the most logical choice for me to keep.

I am going to drive my local dealer's hybrid when they get their training vehicle in another couple of weeks, but I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm hanging onto what I've got here.

It just...works....

The enthusiasts at the local dealer appear to have been misinformed about what Acura is going to be charging for the AWD hybrid, but they appear to have been correct that Saitama does not have the capability to go into full time production of the hybrid, even if they could get their hands on enough batteries to do it.

Last edited by George Knighton; 01-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Grandpa

But...what if the platform sharing is not with the Accord, but with the RLX? Only 8,000 4G RLX have been built so far. What are they doing with the rest of the production capacity?

Something that intrigued me is that the TLX camouflaged pictures we have seen have the outline of the RLX front wing rebound curve.

I know I'm probably crazy, but, still, there's always hope....
Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
If the MDX is a sign of things to come, the bolt pattern is going back to the old 5x114.3, the wheels will be at most 8.0" wide and most likely remain a high +55 offset. This is going to be fun fitting suitable aftermarket wheels on the TLX.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
"Folding rear seats?!?!?! That's too hard. Dude, get a pick up truck!"
"Heated steering wheel? Do they know how much that costs? We'll throw in a pair of Acura monogrammed gloves in the glove box, problem solved."
"Wait til they see 'beak 3.0'! They'll LOVE IT!"
"P-AWS on the TLX? We just loosen those tie rod bolts and they'll get all the 'rear steering' they can stand! LOL"
"They are going to love those new reactive dampers. They worked out great on the RDX and ILX"
"New feature for our Canadian market.. Snow Sonar Ultrasound depth Counter Sensor (or Snow SUCS) for measuring the depth of the snow on the road."
*lmao* You have a good imagination.....

George Knighton.....You raise a good point.....rather than sharing the plateform of the Accord, why not use that of the RLX?! The problem is that we have already been told that the TLX will be smaller and a cross between the TSX and the TL, so I think the RLX plateform is too big to achieve that purpose. I could be wrong....but as VQPower said... only T-10 days to go *lol*
Old 01-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
*lmao* You have a good imagination.....

George Knighton.....You raise a good point.....rather than sharing the plateform of the Accord, why not use that of the RLX?! The problem is that we have already been told that the TLX will be smaller and a cross between the TSX and the TL, so I think the RLX plateform is too big to achieve that purpose. I could be wrong....but as VQPower said... only T-10 days to go *lol*
Think the magazines are all saying the RLX uses the same "R-Large" sedan platform as Accord & TL.

Quick Reply: 2015 TLX is official!