2015 TLX Advance grill wrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
2015 TLX Advance grill wrap

Are there any sensors or anything within the grill of the car? I heard maybe there's some near the area.

I'm looking to wrap the chrome part of the grill so just want to make sure it wouldn't interfere with anything
Old 03-06-2016, 02:12 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I believe the Advanced TLXs have a radar behind the grille for the ACC so it's not recommended that you paint/wrap the grille. Buuut if you do go through with it, let us know if it affects the ACC. I'd like to do something with my grille, but I don't want to mess with my ACC.

Last edited by pnoi521; 03-06-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Would a wrap really affect it that much? Or is this kinda like metallic tint and navigation where there really isn't much interference?
Old 03-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
Would a wrap really affect it that much? Or is this kinda like metallic tint and navigation where there really isn't much interference?
People have wrapped and painted it without error messages, but it could decrease it's effective range, just how much is anyone's guess.

On my own car, with snow, slush, etc, I didn't get any error messages this winter, but did get all kinds of warnings last winter during one storm where the shield had a 3/4 to 1 inch layer of snow/ice that built up during my drive to work. Since then, I always clear the shield as well as the rest of there car when it snows.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 03-06-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
People have wrapped and painted it without error messages, but it could decrease it's effective range, just how much is anyone's guess.

On my own car, with snow, slush, etc, I didn't get any error messages this winter, but did get all kinds of warnings last winter during one storm where the shield had a 3/4 to 1 inch layer of snow/ice that built up during my drive to work. Since then, I always clear the shield as well as the rest of there car when it snows.
Hmmm...well I never really have used ACC, just did it once or twice to see how effective it is and it's pretty cool. Considering we don't get snow around here I may opt for it, especially considering the conditions yours went through.

Is yours wrapped or painted?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I have the advance. I removed my beak and painted it (non-metallic paint) and then wrapped it with 3m plastic (non-metallic). From what I can tell, the effective range is just as good as it was prior to painting and wrapping. Many dealerships will paint the beak for you. Just make sure not to use anything metallic, as it will reflect the radar waves. The sensor is on the right side of the beak, and is about 4 inch by 4 inch flat panel.
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
I have the advance. I removed my beak and painted it (non-metallic paint) and then wrapped it with 3m plastic (non-metallic). From what I can tell, the effective range is just as good as it was prior to painting and wrapping. Many dealerships will paint the beak for you. Just make sure not to use anything metallic, as it will reflect the radar waves. The sensor is on the right side of the beak, and is about 4 inch by 4 inch flat panel.

This is the answer I was hoping for and to make my decision. Considering I'm gonna get it wrapped for free, I'll definitely be going through with this mod. Just have to wait for the weather to clear up a bit before I can schedule an appointment.

Is there any reason you painted and wrapped it? I'm guessing it was to just see the differences?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Hmmm...well I never really have used ACC, just did it once or twice to see how effective it is and it's pretty cool. Considering we don't get snow around here I may opt for it, especially considering the conditions yours went through.

Is yours wrapped or painted?
No wrap on mine, but that was more for aesthetic reasons. If I wanted to wrap or paint it, I would with no hesitation. If you are concerned at all, you could still increase the sensitivity for the sensors when it comes to braking distances, etc.

My sensors for braking are actually turned down to the minimal distances which suit my driving style better in and around NYC traffic. On my wife's MDX, I turned hers up to maximum distances as that just makes me feel better.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

This is the answer I was hoping for and to make my decision. Considering I'm gonna get it wrapped for free, I'll definitely be going through with this mod. Just have to wait for the weather to clear up a bit before I can schedule an appointment.

Is there any reason you painted and wrapped it? I'm guessing it was to just see the differences?
The reason I painted and wrapped it was because I went to a lot of time and trouble to remove it, sand it, prime it, and two coats of paint. I didn't want all this work ruined with a rock chip, so I went ahead and had it wrapped. Granted wrapping won't protect from everything, but while I had the beak off and wrapping was easy (just take it to the wrap shop), I decided to have it done. I believe the wrapping was $40.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
The reason I painted and wrapped it was because I went to a lot of time and trouble to remove it, sand it, prime it, and two coats of paint. I didn't want all this work ruined with a rock chip, so I went ahead and had it wrapped. Granted wrapping won't protect from everything, but while I had the beak off and wrapping was easy (just take it to the wrap shop), I decided to have it done. I believe the wrapping was $40.
Interesting. Yeah I won't be going the painted option so no need for installer to do all that.

I just hope they have a wrap that matches pretty close to the black around the fog lights. I think he was thinking satin black or something.

Either way, it's what I consider a tasteful, yet subtle mod that really makes a difference in my eyes, and to those who would notice it.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:01 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
No wrap on mine, but that was more for aesthetic reasons. If I wanted to wrap or paint it, I would with no hesitation. If you are concerned at all, you could still increase the sensitivity for the sensors when it comes to braking distances, etc.

My sensors for braking are actually turned down to the minimal distances which suit my driving style better in and around NYC traffic. On my wife's MDX, I turned hers up to maximum distances as that just makes me feel better.
^^ Let's hope she doesn't read this or it might get you into trouble.. LOL