[Press Release] 2015 Acura TLX to Debut at the 2014 New York International Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:14 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
And that is why Kia has all the boxes checked. They need to do something to attract buyers and build the brand. Hyundai and Kia had crappy reliability and built low end cars when they came to the states. They have made big improvements in reliability and now have to attract people with value. I like what they both offer for features at the price points they are at, but I think Kia has over-reached with the K900, basically a $60K Genesis!! I like where the Genesis is headed, HTRAC full time AWD with some sort of either torque vectoring of simulated with ESC/ABS, lots of great features, HUD, all the goodies the RLX has and I have read they have made great improvements in their ride quality (always considered a weakness in the original Genesis).

The big problem for Kia/Hyundai as they get in the $50K+-$65K range is the dealerships, most do not present themselves well and I am no snob, but on reason I buy a more upscale car is also the dealership/service experience which is usually better then main stream volume brands.
It is amazing how far they have come in a relatively short period of time. Their development cycle also appears to be fairly fast. I think the Korean market is really where the K900 will sell. The KDM Genesis is more upscale and pricey than the USDM Genesis. I'd seriously consider the Candenza if the rear seat folder. It would be in their best interest to break out the K900, Equiss, Genesis, Cadenza into a separate brand like Acura, Lexus, Infiniti. Who wants to buy a 7-series competitor at a dealership where they sell the Soul to 'dudes?' And when this happens Acura will be caught flat footed because they will sell cars with more content at a lower price.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It is amazing how far they have come in a relatively short period of time. Their development cycle also appears to be fairly fast. I think the Korean market is really where the K900 will sell. The KDM Genesis is more upscale and pricey than the USDM Genesis. I'd seriously consider the Candenza if the rear seat folder. It would be in their best interest to break out the K900, Equiss, Genesis, Cadenza into a separate brand like Acura, Lexus, Infiniti. Who wants to buy a 7-series competitor at a dealership where they sell the Soul to 'dudes?' And when this happens Acura will be caught flat footed because they will sell cars with more content at a lower price.
I totally agree with a lot of their styling have improved significantly after 2011. That Audi designer they signed on has been great for the company and people continue to buy them but I agree that they should create a luxury division, more competition will continue to keep these manufactures on their toes.

Acura would really need to step it up, I wouldn't go with Kia/Hyundai just yet as consideration for any future vehicles.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree with both of you guys. I don't have a problem with buying a Huyndai as an entry level car and something to get me from point A to point B in wet weather. If I am going to spend 50K on a car, I don't want the Kia/Hyundai emblem on it. I know it sounds snobish but if I can afford to play with the big league, why not wear the jersey....

For the record....I am totally impressed with my little Accent and at 48 000km and still going as if I just drove it off the lot with not a rattle, squeak and any problems whatsoever....despite having been through the torture test and outside through two harsh winters with temps as low as -35C. I have a new found respect for the brand.....unless mine is a fluke.

Last edited by weather; 03-22-2014 at 07:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-23-2014), boe_d (03-23-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I agree with both of you guys. I don't have a problem with buying a Huyndai as an entry level car and something to get me from point A to point B in wet weather. If I am going to spend 50K on a car, I don't want the Kia/Hyundai emblem on it. I know it sounds snobish but if I can afford to play with the big league, why not wear the jersey....

For the record....I am totally impressed with my little Accent and at 48 000km and still going as if I just drove it off the lot with not a rattle, squeak and any problems whatsoever....despite having been through the torture test and outside through two harsh winters with temps as low as -35C. I have a new found respect for the brand.....unless mine is a fluke.
I don't want to say that's a very Honda way of thinking, yet other automakers in the US and Japan have no issue selling cars north of $60k.

Heck, the Toyota Land Cruiser starts at $80k. GMC's Denali lineup costs a pretty penny, and is over 40% of the brand volume, now. Nissan is willingly selling a 6 figure (base price) GT-R from the same dealers that advertise "the cheapest new car in the USA!"

Only Honda. Whom's most expensive car in the brand portfolio is a minivan, topping out at $45k - the starting price of a Touareg.

Admittedly, save the GM twins, none of these cars set the market pace. Also, except the GT-R, all are SUVs (which also brings up the >$50k King Ranches). However, the precedent has already been set - the Genesis easily matches TL sales volume. Clearly, there are more than enough people who don't care for the "Hyundai badge stigma," or the "Acura badge stigma" is just as strong as Hyundai's :p

Either way, both are set for a new generation come MY2015. Both have a lot of questions to answer.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Frankly I'd be fine if it had the LEGOLAND logo on it if it meant Acura could step up their styling to KIA levels.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
http://t.autos.msn.com/shows/new-yor...ng-to-new-york. Still a prototype picture
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Would be a hella surprise the US version look closer to the prototype? I cant see them constantly showing these pictures and the car comes out looking like the spy shots we've seen already. That would be like thinking your about to lose your virginity on the night and girl tells you "I was just playing". serious downer but i like it still somewhat.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Terragotti
Would be a hella surprise the US version look closer to the prototype? I cant see them constantly showing these pictures and the car comes out looking like the spy shots we've seen already. That would be like thinking your about to lose your virginity on the night and girl tells you "I was just playing". serious downer but i like it still somewhat.
Be prepared to be disappointed,
Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

With the exception of the wheels (which will always be different from a prototype car) and the lower front/rear fascia details and the very brief curve added just below the front door (it is not a full skirt), all the curves of the body are in the production model that I can tell. I think the extreme lighting is throwing people off. The outdoor shots were taken with very even slightly overcast lighting. Nothing pops. I was actually surprised that the front fascia retained as much of the prototype look as it did. I think we need to wait to see the car in person to really get a feel for it. Now I'm not feeling the wheels on the spy shots. I hope those are not for the US market.

Originally Posted by Terragotti