Desperate help - Any 07 -08 6MT TL-S in Ottawa Canada area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desperate help - Any 07 -08 6MT TL-S in Ottawa Canada area?

Hello all,

Simply put, i have a drivetrain noise(a whine) as my steering wheel is turned more than a full revolution at parking speeds. It has nothing to do with the PS pump...

I brought it to the dealer, they initially said they fixed the problem and i was satisfied(something loose in the suspension). Upon picking the vehicle up, i decided to test that it was fixed, in which case it wasn't. The dealer decided to keep the car for a next full day, only to conclude that the sound i was hearing was a normal sound. I contacted Acura Canada and they told me the "experts" (techs) have concluded the sound is normal and there's nothing they can do from here on, unless I find them another car and show them the noise that i am experiencing is NOT NORMAL! I'm pretty upset as now its upto me to spend my time to prove the problem is actually a problem.

It seems as though i'm left hanging until i can find someone with a 6sp manual tranny that does not have the noise i am experiencing. Might there be anyone that could atleast test for this problem in my area with the same vehicle as me? If so please message me as it seems as though i cannot do anymore until i find someone with the same car as myself.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest taking it to another independant garage to get them to diagnose the noise. I don't have any "whine" when I turn my wheel. To me it sounds as if you are low on PS fluid...that will cause the pump to make noise.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

I have the same whine as you. Seems to be louder in cold weather. The noise in mine also coincides with a problem in the steering. At some point when turning, the wheel is fine, at other turns the driver has to put a lot of muscle into turning the wheel. Not sure if you have anything like that as well.

Brought it to mechanic last week, had PS fluid topped up (apparently it wasn't leaking but lower than it ever should be - go figure). Anyway - it didn't fix the problem. I'll be having the PS pump replaced this week - unless anyone has any other suggestion of what the problem might be. I'll let you know if it fixes the noise or not.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
USMC PFC MOS 2671

if by whine you mean like a creaking noise when you turn the steering wheel all the way in any direction at low speeds, then i had the same issue with my 05 tl a/t. it was a broken axle for me once the dealer replaced it, the noise went away. hope this was helpful
Old 03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is A/T and i'm in Toronto area, sorry bro and good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
8th Gear

If anyone is willing to meet up that may have had any out of the ordinary audible sound when turning the wheel at parking speeds more than one full revolution, that is a manual transmission, let me know. At this point i know people are reluctant to come into the dealer with me, its just to confirm my findings are actually "not normal"! I really appreciate it guys/gals!

Thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM
8th Gear

It can barely be heard, it is a little more audible at 21 secs. This is a camera capturing this its louder in person and hard to hear. Its not the PS pump, had a mechanic run a test to completely isolate the pump so its coming from the drivetrain...Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpE3yfygMy4
Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Kinda sounds like a gear whine from the transmission. I've heard something similar in an Eagle Talon that I had in the past but never from my TL-S.

Weird....
Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
To many cars in my garage

Its defintley not very loud from the video! could be the axles/CV joints

but it does it when you turn both ways?
Is it louder in the winter? if it is, it probably has to do with fluid and if its not PS pump then maybe the transfer case

If its under warranty wait untill it gets louder because it may be a normal noise if it doesnt get louder

VVVVV-Oh and you should check out the link- VVVVV
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
8th Gear

No it definitely is a problem since it only surfaced in the past month and i have had the car for over 2 years now and have never heard this sound! The sound is much louder in person. Yes it does happen when you turn both ways.

Now i have confirmation with the other member his car doesn't make that sound, and that it clearly is not normal. Like i mentioned the sound varies with the degree of turn. If it is the spyder gear/half shaft - then it has to be fixed. I have only 20000 km left until the warranty runs out!

I'll keep you all updates once i try to resolve this issue!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrFluffy
Is it louder in the winter? if it is, it probably has to do with fluid and if its not PS pump then maybe the transfer case
Transfer case? It's not a 4X4, dude!

Worn CV joints would cause a clicking sound...easy to check with the car on a hoist.

I'm guessing transmission related based on the video alone. I would try draining/refilling the transmission with the GM Synchromesh fluid and seeing if the sound goes away.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Sounds to me like the problem a lot of us 04-06 TL owners had some time back. There was a recall that fixed it. Take a look here:

It is a simple 0-ring that needs to be replaced and it should be done free of charge as part of the power steering hose recall.

See this thread for more detail: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/04-tl-5at-power-steering-whine-695741/