Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

A Tough Situation...

Old 06-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
A Tough Situation...

The other day my dad told me that he would let me live at his house free of charge for an extra year after I graduate and get a real job, for the sole purpose of paying for a new car. This would be absolutely perfect, if it weren't for the fact that my boyfriend (who I'm very VERY tight with, like best buds), expected that we were going to live in our own place once I graduated. He's really adamant about this, and I asked him what the problem would be living with my parents (he'd be allowed to live there too). He figures that a new car isn't too important (even though he gets so excited whenever we look at them). I told him I'd for sure choose him over the machine, but that doesn't mean I don't want the car. I said I'd even give him the TL that I have now when I get a new one. I just think it's a little bit unfair to me that I'm going to be the one paying for the place since he's gonna still be in school for another 5 years or so after I graduate cause of med school. I think he should just suck it up and come live in my parents' basement with me. It's almost like a separate house it's so big down there. So whaddya guys and girls think?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Happy with my STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must agree with you. If he really wants to be with you, there should be no problem from him staying at your parent's place. I mean, you are going to be the one paying and all so it is kinda unfair. Its just a year. Tell him to suck it up.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:31 PM

Then he can get rid of his stupid '91 Chevy Lumina APV if we live at my parents place. What a piece of garbage. His grandparents LENT it to him, making him responsible for taking care of it. If you use the power locks, the battery dies for some reason, and the engine sounds like shit and is anemic for a 3.8L V6 (our 95 caravan had much more power out of a 3.0L V6). But I digress.
He claims when he's a doctor we'll have tons of money, but dammit, I want my new TL soon! Not in 5 or 6 years! Sorry, just had to vent. :sqnteek:
I think a long talk is in order tomorrow night...
Old 06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Happy with my STi!

Originally Posted by youngTL
Then he can get rid of his stupid '91 Chevy Lumina APV if we live at my parents place. What a piece of garbage. His grandparents LENT it to him, making him responsible for taking care of it. If you use the power locks, the battery dies for some reason, and the engine sounds like shit and is anemic for a 3.8L V6 (our 95 caravan had much more power out of a 3.0L V6). But I digress.
He claims when he's a doctor we'll have tons of money, but dammit, I want my new TL soon! Not in 5 or 6 years! Sorry, just had to vent. :sqnteek:
I think a long talk is in order tomorrow night...
Don't forget that it will only be "tons of money" for both of you if you guys are still together. Many things might happen in 5 to 6 years. I don't know why he is being so anal about it when you are the one earning the money now. If I was him, I would not care about where I live as long as I am with the person I want to be with.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:36 PM

Thanks, now that I have some ammo, I'll be in a better position when we talk about it tomorrow night. If anyone else has got any ammo, speak up! haha
Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 AM
booooo

are u gay? if so, it expalins A LOT. If not, you need to talk to that kid~
Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TL_DipLoMaT
are u gay? if so, it expalins A LOT. If not, you need to talk to that kid~
Yeah I am for your big fat information
I didn't think that mattered. But anyway we had a talk this morning and we agreed on 8 months at my parents' house. That should give me about $30k in savings once I graduate and get a real job. His big deal was not wanting to be helped out by his parents or mine. The truth always comes out in heated debates.
Besides, I won't have to work as hard living at home and I can join rugby again
Old 06-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Pro

if you can stay at your parents DO IT, dont buy a 30k car, buy a 4k civic in good condition and save for a house get a downpayment in then move on with your lifes
Old 06-08-2004, 09:32 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I am for your big fat information
I didn't think that mattered. But anyway we had a talk this morning and we agreed on 8 months at my parents' house. That should give me about $30k in savings once I graduate and get a real job. His big deal was not wanting to be helped out by his parents or mine. The truth always comes out in heated debates.
Besides, I won't have to work as hard living at home and I can join rugby again
Eeeeeeewwww, a gay person.....

No, seriously.... how the hell are you going to save $30k in 8 months? Canadian tax rates are crazy.... if your bf is reasonable he would jump on the fact that he got free room and board while he is in med school..... Man, you boy sounds financially dumb.... hope ya'll make it though..... c'mon down to San Fran and/or NY and get married you crazy love birds....
Old 06-09-2004, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by indoMFP
Eeeeeeewwww, a gay person.....

No, seriously.... how the hell are you going to save $30k in 8 months? Canadian tax rates are crazy.... if your bf is reasonable he would jump on the fact that he got free room and board while he is in med school..... Man, you boy sounds financially dumb.... hope ya'll make it though..... c'mon down to San Fran and/or NY and get married you crazy love birds....

It's actually not that hard to save that amount of money once I get my job, because even though the tax rates are high, my expenses will be next to nothing because I'll be living like I am now (they will be like they are now, and I'm doing fine on $300 a month, which is basically fuel and entertainment). Anyway, $30k in 12 months is more doable, since my starting will be $55k, minus taxes, which are about 27% in that bracket (lol my dad's taxes are closer to 49% if you add all the federal, provincial, and municipal up).
Old 06-09-2004, 12:58 PM

Oh yeah and when the time comes, we can just go over west a province and hitch up there!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:58 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 06-18-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
Post Whore!!! Diggin up a thread from 9 days ago just to post only smilies.. Tut tut!

Old 06-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Post Whore!!! Diggin up a thread from 9 days ago just to post only smilies.. Tut tut!

you do what you gotta do lol
Old 06-18-2004, 01:05 PM
What your problem is?

That is Jatt for ya.... crazy sommamabitch...
Old 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Live at home for as long as you can. Save your money.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:04 AM
All Hail the Chief

I agree Pug, any young buck (or french poodle in this case) should stay at home as long as their parents will let them and SAVE SAVE SAVE. That is assuming you have a real job that pays well, which in his case, he does.

I also must say based on experience (I'm 25, graduated at 22, got a good job shortly thereafter), to FORGET ABOUT A NEW CAR!!! I cannot emphasize enough that you should be saving for a house first and foremost! A house is an investment that will appreciate as time goes by. A car is an expense that continually depreciates. I wish I had somebody pound this idea into my head a few years ago, because I'd be alot better off.

A car note is going to affect the purchasing power you have when buying a house, but a mortgage doesn't affect your ability to purchase a car nearly as much since most of us have to pay to live in some form or another ie. rent, mortgage.

Here is how I'd recommend you do it:
1) Save first and pad your bank account for a rainy day, you never know when you'll be laid off.
2) Use available savings for a DP on a house.
3) Go get your car.

(BTW, milk it at your parents for as long as you can!)
Old 07-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Canadian Acura's

Living with your bf in your parents basement really isn't that bad. When I graduated high school I was so adamant that I was going to move out with mine. My parents begged me to stay at home and have him move in. Between us, we saved about $2000/mo each. We ended up buying a house last year. Looking back, it wasn't a sacrifice at all. We came and went as we pleased, my parents are always on some sort of trip for 2 weeks every 2 months and we each had our garage parking stall.

Unfortunately, life took us in separate directions so we sold the house and I moved back home for a few months (parents are travelling Europe for the summer and needed someone to house/car sit).

But all in all, its probably the best scenario for you two at this time. If there is no need to spend the extra money living on your own at this point, then I wouldn't bother. Seeing as your parents are willing to help the two of you out so you both come out ahead in the long run, definately take advantage of that
Old 07-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

ur dad pays 49% in taxes?!!? if i lived in canada i would find an illegal way to make sure that wouldnt happen. what the hell is the point of working ur ass off when u only get 51% of the money!?!? thats crazyyy
Old 07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
What your problem is?

It is like that in the U.S. also, man.... think about it.... if your in the highest tax bracket which is 35%, you pay that, then an additional 7-8% in sales tax and then an additional 12-15% in state taxes..... also Canadians have free healthcare, so they don't have the expenses we do.... we pay an arm and a leg for shit they don't.... that said I would never want to get hurt in Canada with their bullshit policies concerning healthcare....

Dumbass nOObs dug up an old thread....
Old 07-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by tpatel
ur dad pays 49% in taxes?!!? if i lived in canada i would find an illegal way to make sure that wouldnt happen. what the hell is the point of working ur ass off when u only get 51% of the money!?!? thats crazyyy
Yeah, that's how much income tax he pays (federal+provincial+municipal+municipal property tax). sales tax is 7% (GST), but luckily alberta doesn't have PST, so its always the best place to buy cars in Canada!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by indoMFP
It is like that in the U.S. also, man.... think about it.... if your in the highest tax bracket which is 35%, you pay that, then an additional 7-8% in sales tax and then an additional 12-15% in state taxes..... also Canadians have free healthcare, so they don't have the expenses we do.... we pay an arm and a leg for shit they don't.... that said I would never want to get hurt in Canada with their bullshit policies concerning healthcare....

Dumbass nOObs dug up an old thread....
Oh yeah this thread is a month old now. We've already decided on my parents' house for a full year after I graduate. I'm glad I'M not the one in med school haha!

n00bs...

As a side note, does anyone know what :w-hat: is for???
Old 07-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh yeah this thread is a month old now. We've already decided on my parents' house for a full year after I graduate. I'm glad I'M not the one in med school haha!

n00bs...

As a side note, does anyone know what :w-hat: is for???
W + Hat = What...I am guessing...
Old 07-25-2004, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by garylee55
W + Hat = What...I am guessing...
Oh, I thought it was like some variation on asshat or something. Or it could be a unit vector pointing in the "w" direction...
Old 07-25-2004, 02:46 AM
What your problem is?

Oh, I thought it was like some variation on asshat or something. Or it could be a unit vector pointing in the "w" direction...
yeah, that was :ghey: :P
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Take it from me. Wait until he finishes school before you move in together. Otherwise you will get stressed having to pay for everything. If you wait then you BOTH can save money for a place together and put money away in the bank for unexpected problems that may arise. This way there is less pressure and you won't stress about money in your relationship which by the way is almost always the reason why young couples breakup or divorce.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by jimmiceman
Take it from me. Wait until he finishes school before you move in together. Otherwise you will get stressed having to pay for everything. If you wait then you BOTH can save money for a place together and put money away in the bank for unexpected problems that may arise. This way there is less pressure and you won't stress about money in your relationship which by the way is almost always the reason why young couples breakup or divorce.
We'll be alright. By the time I finish school we will ahve been together for 3 years, and after living with my parents for a year, that's 4. So I think 4 years is a long enough time to move in together. Medicine is a LONG-ASS time in school, so we aren't waiting till he gets out. Also my parents are a major backup. They've got some emergency funds to spare if we didn't, and they are already buying me stuff for when I move out. I don't know what to do with it all already. I've got this kitchen ware hoarded up in my room!