Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Relationship expenses...

Old 10-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relationship expenses...

How do you guys split relationship expenses? Mostly for things like eating out and groceries. What is the most fair way to go about it without having to start a spreadsheet keeping track of shit down to the penny?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Instructor

you talk abpout it with each other. i will buy groceries you take care of the utilities ar something.

what part of florida you from geisha girl?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

well...i'm chime in with the married point of view.

wife and i have our own personal accounts as well as a joint checking/savings. we budget our monthly/annual expenditures and transfer a set amount into the joint checking, a set amount for savings, and everything left over is ours to spend/invest/burn, whatever.

so...when you're talking about expenses like going out to eat, travelling, etc., that's paid equally by the both of us. this may or may not work for those that are single, but it utlimately comes down to mutual understanding, trust, and communication.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by nyc11758
you talk abpout it with each other. i will buy groceries you take care of the utilities ar something.

what part of florida you from geisha girl?
I'm in Tallahassee

That sounds like a good situation for the marriage side of it GTKrockeTT. I suppose things are easier when you have a joint account you can use for things you do together.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Drifting

I'm married now, but when I was dating my husband, we used to alternate. However, I think it would partially depend on who was making more $$. But you definitely have to talk about it. They say that financial woes are one of the most commonly cited reasons for divorce, so if you have a lot of trust about the subject, it goes a long way. In my case, I am the primary breadwinner financially, but my husband takes care of quite a lot of other details in our lives, I would frankly be lost without him.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:09 PM
someone elses Avatar?????

she gives me her check. end of story.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
guy pays=girl puts out
Old 10-04-2004, 04:56 PM
drop em like its hot

i pay now, she pays in bed
Old 10-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT

wife and i have our own personal accounts as well as a joint checking/savings. we budget our monthly/annual expenditures and transfer a set amount into the joint checking, a set amount for savings, and everything left over is ours to spend/invest/burn, whatever.

so...when you're talking about expenses like going out to eat, travelling, etc., that's paid equally by the both of us. this may or may not work for those that are single, but it utlimately comes down to mutual understanding, trust, and communication.
sounds like good, sound planning

for a future divorce

j/k

Old 10-04-2004, 06:08 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

solution: dont have relationships.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Drifting

I'd pay for everything. I don't need her money.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dv8ing
she gives me her check. end of story.

awesome!

whats wrong noriko, you and ivan arguing over whos gonna pay for dinner or some shit? And whats with you and guys and bills? Does that one guy still call you saying you owe him dinner?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Advanced

For me, my gf and I split it like so: She buys all the groceries, and most of the time we eat out, I pay for all of the electric, gas, and etc. bills. We split rent, and then pay our own bills seperate.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by Katana18
whats wrong noriko, you and ivan arguing over whos gonna pay for dinner or some shit? And whats with you and guys and bills? Does that one guy still call you saying you owe him dinner?

I don't really know what he and I are trying to figure out anymore I think we're just going to keep doing it the way that we do it, which is someone gets it and the next time someone else picks it up. He was just saying that it would be unfair if lets say we went to a nice dinner and then the next time we went to eat at chick-fil-a.

I have no idea whats up with me + guys + bills...for some reason a situation involving money always comes up

And I think that bastard has FINALLY gotten the hint. I haven't gotten any moron emails from him in at least a week.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I'm in Tallahassee

That sounds like a good situation for the marriage side of it GTKrockeTT. I suppose things are easier when you have a joint account you can use for things you do together.

I'm thinking of going up there for a visit.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rezurex
i pay now, she pays in bed

I feed her= she swallows
Old 10-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by DivineCL
I feed her= she swallows

you guys are dating a bunch of prostitutes
Old 10-05-2004, 02:55 PM

^^^ I'm just messing around. Sad thing is that I'm single and very picky but
you look cute and have my approval. I'd hit it! LOL
Old 10-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Diamonds are forever...

^^hahaha heard that one before thanks! I'm sure you were just playing, but sad to say there is probably some truth behind it. A lot of bitches sell sex for meals
Old 10-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

Huh? Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the trust if you have to keep separate accounts?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:25 PM

[A lot of bitches sell sex for meals [/QUOTE]Geishagirl

That's f*%^$# up!

"You want this cheeseburger bit*h?"
"uhuh!"
"Then shut up and spread your legs."

Sounds like a to me.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Diamonds are forever...

fucked up but true
Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
The Bearwok

Considering that my wife's income is about equal to my state taxes, I pay, A lot. For a tomboy she has expensive tastes.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:58 PM
eve
Burning Brakes

My b/f and I split rent and utilities/cable, etc. I mean I pay and he pays me back. But I make more than him and I think it bothers him a little. When we go out we try to alternate who pays but it seems like I always end up paying more. He told me already spent enough on me when we were getting to know each other but now, over 2 years later, it's almost 50/50.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Race Director

I pay for every single thing, I am a bitch like that.
I'm only moderately attractive and I like to date model looking girls(because I'm shallow and like to show-off)...so I have to make up for it somehow...
Hey, I tell it like it is.

I already know my future, the 50 year old millionaire with the mid twenties blonde as his third wife. I have come to accept it.

P.S.-> I am kinda "Fickle" I guess...my relationships rarely last a few weeks, a month at most.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:47 PM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE GLOW

Well being that I'm a southern guy when the girl im with go out I always pick up the check. That is just how I was raised. When it comes to leaving expenses like groceries,rent,bills. etc. I agree that both should be equal. I do like the comments from GTKrockeTT about splitting accounts and stuff, but being that you to are just dating thats a different story. Also you need to look at this stand point who makes more money. Sometimes the person who makes more should probally pay more. For example when my folks where together my Dad made twice as much as my Mother. So he paid for more things.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Huh? Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the trust if you have to keep separate accounts?
i was referring to trust as in the scenario if you weren't married, and shared a mutual account with your significant other.

in my case with my wife, she has her money, i have mine...this way she gets to buy all the purses/shoes she may want, and i get my freedom to buy car stuff, toys, etc. w/o the other person complaining (too much ). it works out because we have relatively the same earned income, if we had a huge discrepancy between our take home pay, i could see how the main earner should pay for more of his/her share of bills, etc. if you're talking about trust, we share investment accounts...CDs, savings, brokerage. but, i do believe that each person should still have the financial freedom to buy what they want without getting permission from the other. i see too many married couples where the wife or husband needs to ask/beg the spouse in order to buy something with their own money.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM

That is a great plan.

It depends on how much money each person makes. I'm old-school and I adore my girlfriend so I don't mind paying for most anything. We spoke about it initially and the only thing I requested is "every once in awhile, you treat". It's been great and nice getting surprised from time to time by her offering to pay a certain tab.

We do speak about credit, and our future and like friends on what to do/what not to do etc. So no surprises.

Our only debate was she wants a Neiman Marcus card and I told her it is unnecessary. I guess I'll have to research more about perks and rewards.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pgatour1
I pay for every single thing, I am a bitch like that.
I'm only moderately attractive and I like to date model looking girls(because I'm shallow and like to show-off)...so I have to make up for it somehow...
Hey, I tell it like it is.

I already know my future, the 50 year old millionaire with the mid twenties blonde as his third wife. I have come to accept it.

P.S.-> I am kinda "Fickle" I guess...my relationships rarely last a few weeks, a month at most.
lol.....sorry
Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Our only debate was she wants a Neiman Marcus card and I told her it is unnecessary. I guess I'll have to research more about perks and rewards.
Let the girl get the card Thats my second home. The rewards are pretty good if you're going to spend over $30k a year there, other than that you dont get much more than some knife sets and things of that nature.

Its good to have the NM card if you don't have Amex or Diners, since they don't accept visa, mc etc.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:24 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Let the girl get the card $30k a year
holy christ.....!!!!......
Old 10-06-2004, 11:38 PM

Let the girl get the card Thats my second home. The rewards are pretty good if you're going to spend over $30k a year there, other than that you dont get much more than some knife sets and things of that nature.

Its good to have the NM card if you don't have Amex or Diners, since they don't accept visa, mc etc.
Thanks girl! 30k, no, we won't be spending that in a year....
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

uh....ok

*cough high maintenance cough*
Old 10-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Good grief! If one must spend $30K a year on make-up....<shudder>
I can't bring myself to finish that sentence.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Health's Angels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we split stuff, but pro-rate our share based on our take home pay. Since I make about double what she does, I pay around 66% and she pays 33% of our joint purchases (food, cable, mortgage) etc. We've been living together for 9 years and never fought about money.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks girl! 30k, no, we won't be spending that in a year....
Yeah its really not worth it to have a card unless you do most of your shopping at NM. The points don't even carry over until the next year, save for about 5,000 or so.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:59 AM
The Bearwok

Yeah its really not worth it to have a card unless you do most of your shopping at NM. The points don't even carry over until the next year, save for about 5,000 or so.
Forgive me if i am being forward but how much do you make / expect a man to spend on you in a year?

Not saying you geisha, but i think as men, if we find a golddigger, we have a responsibility to tattoo them in their sleep to warn the next man.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by charlesgage
Forgive me if i am being forward but how much do you make / expect a man to spend on you in a year?

Not saying you geisha, but i think as men, if we find a golddigger, we have a responsibility to tattoo them in their sleep to warn the next man.
wtf...I never anywhere said that a MAN should have to spend this on someone. I was merely pointing out that its not worth it to get a card if you aren't going to fully utilize it. You'd be better off earning points wtih Amex or something. I don't expect a man to spend CRAP on me. This is not a complaint but my bf now doesn't really buy me many gifts and I'm okay with that.

I do like nice things, but they are taken care of by my family...not by some poor bastard who just so happens to want to please me Good luck on your gold digger exposing mission.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:12 AM

The girls not a gold digger. She likes nice things, and appreciates the finer things. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with expecting the best. I know I expect the best when I meet someone to potentially date or be with or whatever.

I think she's got her own dough, and the point of the thread is, how should things be divided up?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:21 AM
The Bearwok

Originally Posted by charlesgage
Not saying you geisha...
READ THE DAMN POST, i am only trying to say that there are some women out there for an easy ride in exchange for favors, you know it we all know it, i wasn't implying you. Also, from what your original post said, you would be an idiot not to take that as "I, or someone close to me has 30k to spend at NM in a year"

Quick Reply: Relationship expenses...