Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Physical Attractiveness vs. Overall Person

Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Physical Attractiveness vs. Overall Person

Okay, I'm having a pretty serious issue here.

I've been going out with a guy for 4 weeks. We haven't had sex. Why? Because I'm not physically attracted to his body. His face is cute, but the body doesn't match up. He's like 5'11 and 280lbs (but really broad shoulders, so his normal weight should be about 220).

The problem is that as a person, he's SO much alike me, and we get along so well that it would be insane to just break up with him. He's agreed to join a gym, and he's taking a really proactive stance on a total lifestyle makeover, including eating properly. He's been doing really well for the entire time I've known him. He never worked out before out of fear. But I'm holding off on sex until he's lost enough weight. I'm a total muscle addict, and he's at an unnacceptable level of 27%±3% bodyfat. I'm sitting at 13%±3%.

I've been roiling over in my head whether to leave him because of this physical attractiveness issue, but the overall package seems to be greater. I don't know what to do. My friends will tell me that I can do better, what do I say to them?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
2 things....

1. If you aren't attracted physically to the person, I can't imagine a relationship working. I don't think its shallow, its just a fact of life.

2. Usually, someone who is that... unfit... would have a very different lifestyle, and outlook on life, than you. I think of health concious people as a seperate group from people who aren't concerned with it, and the two groups don't usually mesh well relationship-wise. If you are eating tofu salad and your partner is going out for McDonalds, that could cause problems, I know it would for me.

That said, if they guy is actually working on changing and getting fit, it sounds like you are working in the right direction. Could actually be fun and rewarding for you to help this guy out.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bbbaagghh stop being so obsessed and picky with body shape and shit - just do him.....
jeesh body fat comparison my ass :shakehead

edit: i mean "his ass"
Old 12-05-2005, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
2 things....

1. If you aren't attracted physically to the person, I can't imagine a relationship working. I don't think its shallow, its just a fact of life.

2. Usually, someone who is that... unfit... would have a very different lifestyle, and outlook on life, than you. I think of health concious people as a seperate group from people who aren't concerned with it, and the two groups don't usually mesh well relationship-wise. If you are eating tofu salad and your partner is going out for McDonalds, that could cause problems, I know it would for me.

That said, if they guy is actually working on changing and getting fit, it sounds like you are working in the right direction. Could actually be fun and rewarding for you to help this guy out.
I can totally see that he has the potential to be very handsome (he already is fairly handsome), if he just lost some weight. I figure fat can be lost, but ugly can't be fixed. But then again I have to hold off sex until I feel good about it...argh.
He is very quickly changing his perception on things. It was just a lack of knowledge, and the fact that his parents were always "eat everything on your plate" type of people. He doesn't eat out that much, it's just that he has never been physically active for fear of it. He's also a pleaser. He would do what it takes to make me happy. I know that's the wrong reasons but it's working on him. He wants more confidence too, so he's really devoted to working out. He made me go when I didn't want to, just to go with him.

The thing is, I haven't met anyone like this, ever. If I got rid of him it would feel like I'd be losing a soul-mate if there is such a thing. If I can help him get fit, it will be the biggest payoff I could imagine. But I guess if it proves to be impossible (given a reasonable amount of time, say a year), then I'll have to break up since a relationship just can't work without sex. At least not for me. Sigh.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:45 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
You are too obsessed with bodies...You are going to be single a long time.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
^^easy for you to say since your wife has a good body (at least from the last pic you posted)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
ive been watching my gf gain weight steadily since i met her she was a size 0...now who knows.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 AM
yeah i'm bored.

i can understand not dating someone if you're not attracted to them, but dating them and withholding sex is a little wrong on your part

either stick as friends for now or accept who he is and that he's making the effort.

love is blind, blahblahblah, all those other cliches
Old 12-05-2005, 07:40 AM
about::blank

i can relate, i have dated a bigger chick or two in my past. the last one was huge, her composition test came back reporting about 47% body fat. it is really hard for someone, especially an older person, to change their eating habits when they have been living a certain way for so long. even though it may seem that they are working on the problem, it may be only a transient thing unless they have a strong support group(you) behind them to keep encouraging and pushing the fatty. if you are a selfless person, and really see a future, good luck. refraining from sex isn't really encouraging them though, give the dude some motivation.

move on
Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Eat my shorts!!

Originally Posted by TallyCL-S
i can relate, i have dated a bigger chick or two in my past. the last one was huge, her composition test came back reporting about 47% body fat. it is really hard for someone, especially an older person, to change their eating habits when they have been living a certain way for so long. even though it may seem that they are working on the problem, it may be only a transient thing unless they have a strong support group(you) behind them to keep encouraging and pushing the fatty. if you are a selfless person, and really see a future, good luck. refraining from sex isn't really encouraging them though, give the dude some motivation.

move on

sorry to hijack tread but
YOU dated someone that large???

for youngtl
at least the man is making an effort to change his lifestyle. who knows, in a couple of months, he could look like Brad Pitt. Would you be physically attractive to him then? give it time
Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by zeroday
^^easy for you to say since your wife has a good body (at least from the last pic you posted)
But to actually worry about body fat % seems a little over the top.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by 1killercls
But to actually worry about body fat % seems a little over the top.
I don't think youngTL really cares about body fat%, I think he was just using that to give people an image of what he's dealing with. I mean, in a girl's case, can't you have a pretty skinny girl who has a high fat %, just because she doesn't really work out so no real muscles that show? I may be totally wrong about that.

I think youngTL, just prefers someone who is leaner and obviously this man ain't lean at all.

My recommendation is to break it off now while the relationship is still young and keep him as a good friend. Who knows, maybe he will lose the weight and you'll also be physically attracted to him. Physical attraction is just as important as personal attraction. That's just my though.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 things....

Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by youngTL
I'm a total muscle addict, and he's at an unnacceptable level of 27%±3% bodyfat. I'm sitting at 13%±3%.

Sounds a little obsesssive to me.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by fdl
Sounds a little obsesssive to me.
Exactly my point.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
ric
Safety Car

If this guy is really interested in making a lifechange, and that lifechange results in a bod that wows you, then you ought to hang in there for a time, given that you are the impetus for his change. However, if he doesn't stick with it, then that ineffible "chemistry" is not going to be there, and any sexual interface the two of you have will essentially be in the realm of a "mercy fuck", which is no basis for an extended, caring relationship. I'd hold onto the friendship status until you're sure that you can really see the kinds of changes that will make his body match his handsome face.

It is, ultimately, the whole "package" that makes it work or not, and the nature of someone else's body and its appeal is an inextricable part of it. It is not superficial, it is animal, and we are driven by basic urges.......
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 AM
visit me

If I can help him get fit, it will be the biggest payoff I could imagine.
either that or he dumps you for someone at 10%±3% after he gets in shape.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
In the bizarro world...

2 things....

Old 12-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
It's in our nature as humans to desire being with attractive individuals. Physical attraction initially grabs the attention and then holds the need to get to know the person deeper.

In your case, you have already found how compatible you guys are and how much you enjoy being with him. It is best to support him in his decision to have a complete lifestyle change. You can show him how to lead a healthy life by encouraging him to work out together. If you can see total commitment on his part and the results are satisfying, then both of you would have built a good foundation for a relationship. If after some time you realize the physical attraction is just not there, then you can't be blamed for wanting more.

In the end, you deserve to have the best and that includes being with someone you completely like in all aspects. A relationship will just be rocky if the carnal desire is not satisfied and one starts to seek out others for the appetite to be gratified.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

1 of 2 things will happen:

1) he will give up on the gym and start hating you for trying to change him...relationship over.

2) he'll end up losing the weight and then dumping you for someone better...relationship over.

move on.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

watch, when you break up with him, he's gonna lose a ton of weight and get super-hot then you'll regret it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by wipe0ut
The percent composition thing was just to get an idea of what I was dealing with. I'm not obsessed with the number.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ric
If this guy is really interested in making a lifechange, and that lifechange results in a bod that wows you, then you ought to hang in there for a time, given that you are the impetus for his change. However, if he doesn't stick with it, then that ineffible "chemistry" is not going to be there, and any sexual interface the two of you have will essentially be in the realm of a "mercy fuck", which is no basis for an extended, caring relationship. I'd hold onto the friendship status until you're sure that you can really see the kinds of changes that will make his body match his handsome face.

It is, ultimately, the whole "package" that makes it work or not, and the nature of someone else's body and its appeal is an inextricable part of it. It is not superficial, it is animal, and we are driven by basic urges.......
Right, I wouldn't want to just have a mercy fuck. It's not like I'm holding back sex, just that I haven't brought myself to do it yet. I'm just afraid that if I break up with him now he'll resent me forever, and he's a really good friend too.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
That's Racist

I can totally see that he has the potential to be very handsome (he already is fairly handsome), if he just lost some weight. I figure fat can be lost, but ugly can't be fixed. But then again I have to hold off sex until I feel good about it...argh.
He is very quickly changing his perception on things. It was just a lack of knowledge, and the fact that his parents were always "eat everything on your plate" type of people. He doesn't eat out that much, it's just that he has never been physically active for fear of it. He's also a pleaser. He would do what it takes to make me happy. I know that's the wrong reasons but it's working on him. He wants more confidence too, so he's really devoted to working out. He made me go when I didn't want to, just to go with him.

The thing is, I haven't met anyone like this, ever. If I got rid of him it would feel like I'd be losing a soul-mate if there is such a thing. If I can help him get fit, it will be the biggest payoff I could imagine. But I guess if it proves to be impossible (given a reasonable amount of time, say a year), then I'll have to break up since a relationship just can't work without sex. At least not for me. Sigh.
I don't really see that big of a problem as long as he's on the right track to getting in shape. What's going to happen if you leave him? He's going to stop working out and gain 5,000 pounds. Can you really live w/ that kind of weight on your conscience?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wipe0ut
Old 12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Right, I wouldn't want to just have a mercy fuck. It's not like I'm holding back sex, just that I haven't brought myself to do it yet. I'm just afraid that if I break up with him now he'll resent me forever, and he's a really good friend too.
Is he a friend, or someone you can have a sexual relationship with?

There is a difference.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
sorry im curious, but is youngTL a girl or guy?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeehaw

He's a gay homosexual.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:19 PM
No longer in denial

YoungTL, I'd say you 2 are better off being friends right now. I had a friend that liked me a lot and the whole time I was friends with him I knew deep down he wanted it to be more. But bottomline was I didn't find him attractive. He was too skinny for me and I didn't care for the way he dressed.

One of the options I could have done was made him my project like you did with your guy or just stayed friends with him and helped be his wardrobe advisor. In the end of my friendship with him I got rid of him because he ended up taking my friendship for granted.

Bottomline, I would go with what you feel is right. If you're feeling guilty for trying to change him that is a bit messed up, because say this guy does lose the weight, you finally hook up with him physically and then 6 months to a year down the line he gains all the weight back, what are you going to do at that point? Dump him cuz he's a fat ass again?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:27 PM
GEEZER

He's a gay homosexual.
as opposed to a straight hetrosexual.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeehaw

Exactly
Old 12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Drifting

At the very least, you're giving him a chance because you see that he is a great guy and worth getting to know in many respects-regardless of what he looks like. So I don't think you are overly fixated on body type...but you may be projecting your goals (being physically fit and having a good focus on wellness) onto him. You may be wanting him to be more like you, as opposed to really appreciating him as a mate and companion for who he actually is. He has to want the weight loss and health improvement for himself in order for it to be sustainable-changing for someone else shows a level of insecurity that you will be dealing with throughout the rest of your relationship.

I think you realize that the relationship is simply not working, but you are afraid of the consequences of breaking it off. And don't feel guilty because your rationale is based on physical attraction-physical intimacy is a huge part of any romantic relationship. If it is missing, the rest of the relationship can be very unfulfilling.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoInDenial
YoungTL, I'd say you 2 are better off being friends right now. I had a friend that liked me a lot and the whole time I was friends with him I knew deep down he wanted it to be more. But bottomline was I didn't find him attractive. He was too skinny for me and I didn't care for the way he dressed.

One of the options I could have done was made him my project like you did with your guy or just stayed friends with him and helped be his wardrobe advisor. In the end of my friendship with him I got rid of him because he ended up taking my friendship for granted.

Bottomline, I would go with what you feel is right. If you're feeling guilty for trying to change him that is a bit messed up, because say this guy does lose the weight, you finally hook up with him physically and then 6 months to a year down the line he gains all the weight back, what are you going to do at that point? Dump him cuz he's a fat ass again?
I honestly didn't think of it that way...after reading all your guys' (and girls') posts, I'm leaning towards the 'break it off now and be friends if possible' side of the fence. It has ONLY been 4 weeks after all. I guess he has a right to be upset with me for being unsure of myself. To top things off, he doesn't have a "mating" air about him. I don't know what it is, but when certain guys are in the room with me, I instantly react in my brain. Maybe it's pheromones or something. But whatever that is, it's not there with him. Now, to find a way to end it without causing too much damage to his feelings. He seems to be totally into me, but I'm just not feeling it with him. I feel sick when he writes me poetry. That can't be right, I should be happy (not just pretending to be). Thanks for waking me up.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by ricecake
At the very least, you're giving him a chance because you see that he is a great guy and worth getting to know in many respects-regardless of what he looks like. So I don't think you are overly fixated on body type...but you may be projecting your goals (being physically fit and having a good focus on wellness) onto him. You may be wanting him to be more like you, as opposed to really appreciating him as a mate and companion for who he actually is. He has to want the weight loss and health improvement for himself in order for it to be sustainable-changing for someone else shows a level of insecurity that you will be dealing with throughout the rest of your relationship.

I think you realize that the relationship is simply not working, but you are afraid of the consequences of breaking it off. And don't feel guilty because your rationale is based on physical attraction-physical intimacy is a huge part of any romantic relationship. If it is missing, the rest of the relationship can be very unfulfilling.
I definitely feel less than satisfied. And this sounds stupid too, but the fact that my friends will tell me sincerely that I can do better doesn't help. I think I couldn't take it. They haven't even MET him because I'm ashamed. What kind of a relationship is that?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by zeroday
ive been watching my gf gain weight steadily since i met her she was a size 0...now who knows.
just hope she doesnt read this
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 AM
how handsome I am

I definitely feel less than satisfied. And this sounds stupid too, but the fact that my friends will tell me sincerely that I can do better doesn't help. I think I couldn't take it. They haven't even MET him because I'm ashamed. What kind of a relationship is that?
that is definitely a shitty feeling. Sorry that you're experiencing it.

Hmm. I say keep it on trial for just a while longer, and if you see that he is really making the effort to keep losing this weight (and results are there) then keep it going.

If he starts slacking, then send him off.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Health's Angels

I'd never heard of a fat gay guy before this thread.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:12 AM

Okay, so he's done. I did it tonight. It was sort of hard on him, but we worked it out. It was a pretty clean break. I feel much better now.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 AM
ric
Safety Car

Okay, so he's done. I did it tonight. It was sort of hard on him, but we worked it out. It was a pretty clean break. I feel much better now.
Now watch him turn into a studmuffin out of spite.................
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 AM
GEEZER

I wish I was perfect.