Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Philosophical question

Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
X spots the mark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philosophical question

Most of you have probably heard this before - "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
Do you agree or disagree? Why?
It'd be nice to get some input on this from the women as well...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree. What good is life if you don't experience the good and the bad.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask Minch and Mizouse why its better
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Not Asian

I disagree. I'd be better off not ever loved.

Obviously, I've loved and lost. Well, it was more infatuation than love. I have never loved to be honest.

BTW, this could use a poll.

Last edited by phipark; 05-25-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
Ask Minch and Mizouse why its better

And I agree with the statement. You have to experience heartbreak before you can truly learn to love IMO.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by phipark
I disagree. I'd be better off not ever loved.

Obviously, I've loved and lost. Well, it was more infatuation than love. I have never loved to be honest.

BTW, this could use a poll.
I am more interested in the WHY than either YES or NO...
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Why not?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
Love is so rare and beautiful that even if it ends, your life is enriched because of it and you get to see things in an entirely new light.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by whynot
I am more interested in the WHY than either YES or NO...
Well, then I can't answer that.

Also, remember the old phrase "love hurts."
Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by sasha
Love is so rare and beautiful that even if it ends, your life is enriched because of it and you get to see things in an entirely new light.
Like how much of a sadistic bitch your ex-girlfriend really was
Old 05-25-2006, 04:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Always Dirty
Why not?

Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro

In my experience, yes.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Horror stories of psycho exes can be quite entertaining...

When you look back, you just laugh it off and feel glad knowing that you are not with them anymore and that you have learned valuable lessons which help you appreciate the people in your life right now.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro

When you look back, you just laugh it off and feel glad knowing that you are not with them anymore and that you have learned valuable lessons which help you appreciate the people in your life right now.
I agree. You can't truly appreciate a great guy until you have had the opposite.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
likes it raw

I walked into my dorm one day to see a teddy bear with its chest ripped open and covered in ketchup hanging by a rope around its neck from the window above the main door.

Turns out it was my friends gf - he had given her the bear that valentines day and they apparently had just broken up (the first in what would become a semi-weekly occurence)
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro

I walked into my dorm one day to see a teddy bear with its chest ripped open and covered in ketchup hanging by a rope around its neck from the window above the main door.

Turns out it was my friends gf - he had given her the bear that valentines day and they apparently had just broken up (the first in what would become a semi-weekly occurence)
My ex bought me shoes a few months before we broke up and sent me a painting right after we broke up. The painting was of the shoe stomping on a heart and not a cartoon heart but a bloody heart.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

well..i consider myself in love for the first time ever. im 24 and it amazes me every day how hard it is to have the type of feelings i do. I have gotten along fine for 24 years of just dating and not getting attached. but in the last 6 months that i have fell "in love" there has been more stress and worries than i ever would have imagined. And me and my guy have not even had the first fight. We get along perfectly. But its just the fact that i know if something happened and he broke it off i would be crushed. so personally....i constantly wander if its worth it.

dating casually is a simple thing....love.... now thats complicated. and i for one say if i do love and lose..as u say. i will NEVER try again! its not worth it (unless i never lose of course)
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by s_jack
My ex bought me shoes a few months before we broke up and sent me a painting right after we broke up. The painting was of the shoe stomping on a heart and not a cartoon heart but a bloody heart.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:53 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of you have probably heard this before - "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
I feel this variation is more true:
"Better to have loved and lost, than to be stuck with that whiney bitch for the rest of your life"

Actually, I agree with the first statement. You can't grow if you don't lose something. You can't appreciate what you have if something you care so much about was never taken (or ran away) from you.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by roriz03cl
well..i consider myself in love for the first time ever. im 24 and it amazes me every day how hard it is to have the type of feelings i do. I have gotten along fine for 24 years of just dating and not getting attached. but in the last 6 months that i have fell "in love" there has been more stress and worries than i ever would have imagined. And me and my guy have not even had the first fight. We get along perfectly. But its just the fact that i know if something happened and he broke it off i would be crushed. so personally....i constantly wander if its worth it.

dating casually is a simple thing....love.... now thats complicated. and i for one say if i do love and lose..as u say. i will NEVER try again! its not worth it (unless i never lose of course)
<--- waits patiently for the "My Boyfriend Dumped me and I Have Sworn off Men Forever" thread.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

And you guys that I was weird. I'm not the one that gave her the shoes/painting.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by s_jack
Oh wow.

None of my exes did anything like that but I was haunted for years by my first bf's parting words to me: "You destroyed my idea of love"... So it struck a chord in me when my current bf said: "You restored my faith in love". I feel liberated.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moeronn
<--- waits patiently for the "My Boyfriend Dumped me and I Have Sworn off Men Forever" thread.
gosh i hope that doesnt happen..but u never know right?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Pro

Oh wow.

None of my exes did anything like that but I was haunted for years by my first bf's parting words to me: "You destroyed my idea of love"... So it struck a chord in me when my current bf said: "You restored my faith in love". I feel liberated.
Girlie comment coming: awwwww! That is so sweet!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by roriz03cl
gosh i hope that doesnt happen, soon..but u never know when right?
:fixed:
Old 05-25-2006, 05:17 PM
likes it raw

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
And you guys that I was weird. I'm not the one that gave her the shoes/painting.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:19 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
i agree with it to a certain extent... cause after you have lost your love, THAT S*&T hurts... at the same time, if you never loved before.. ull be wondering what its really like to actually be in love. kinda like the whole "grass is greener on the other side" kinda shit
Old 05-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro

I know. I didn't even want to touch that one....
Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM

having loved means that you will have someone to remember when you jerk off. never having loved just leaves you fantasy women to jerk off to.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gary_william
having loved means that you will have someone to remember when you jerk off. never having loved just leaves you fantasy women to jerk off to.
speak for yourself LOL...
Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 AM
East Coast Boost.!

I love to have my dick in a nice warm twat, does that count?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
X spots the mark

Keep them coming guys...

abd Titand19 - no, it doesn't count
Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gary_william

That's why is so important to have nude pics and pron videos of the ex...
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Go Noles!

i agree. there's nothing better in life to teach us than our past experiences. you learn about yourself when you're with someone that you presumably love, and you learn even more about what you want when you break up. and you learn how to handle situations better for future relationships.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Drifting

Great thread. I am in life support mode with my current girlfriend. The pain of possibly losing her is completely turning my life upside down, I mean I am fucking basket case. My mind has been racing 24/7 thinking about the whole love thing, and how when things don't go as planned it can be so devastating.

Even though currently I am dying right now, I am happy that I got to know how much I could love and cherish a woman. Last week I said to her that I can't believe that I feel like this and why do I love you so much, and then I paused a second and said that it was wonderful to know how true love really feels and to what extent you can care for someone.

The dumbest saying to me for years was when people would tell you that "you will just know when its the one!!" But damn its so true. Someone above mentioned that they were protective of their feelings. I myself had a wall up to protect me from the pain of love, but its sitting in a pile of rubble all around me right this second.

Cliff notes- I am happier to know that love can be so amazing when its complete and honest, than to have never known what its like.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Coming from experience, I think it's far better to know love. I'm far FAR better off now then I used to be before it. Back in grade 8 I used to think I'd never find anyone, and that feeling is 10000x worse than having gotten hurt from losing love.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:18 PM
go like hell

I tend to agree with it. My wife is bi-polar which means she's either really happy and in a good mood or pissed off/depressed. so right now she in the depressed phase are going through a divorce because my wife and i have a great 1 year old daughter together. and we both love her very much and we're proud of her. If there's any good thing about it eventally after she's dirt poor I think she'll come back to me. but I'm not sure if I'll take her back. depends on how much she's changed.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:19 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by youngTL
Coming from experience, I think it's far better to know love. I'm far FAR better off now then I used to be before it. Back in grade 8 I used to think I'd never find anyone, and that feeling is 10000x worse than having gotten hurt from losing love.
yes and it's even worst when you have a wife and you've basically told everything about yourself to. even things your closest "boys" don't know. and she gives up on you. it's pure hell man.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:27 PM
East Coast Boost.!

love is a crock of shit that presumes happiness. it should really be replaced by what is called financial stability
Old 05-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
yes and it's even worst when you have a wife and you've basically told everything about yourself to. even things your closest "boys" don't know. and she gives up on you. it's pure hell man.
I will never know, because I won't have that problem. You're obviously saying that more for you than you are for me. It's kinda like kicking yourself in the ass because you could feel something was going to happen and you didn't act. And if it was really for me, then you really have no idea about me do you?

ANYWAYS, I trust my friends more that someone I'm with, unless I've been with them a good ten years. But even then, it's still a learning experience. Ask Ric. Where is he anyway? He should be the expert on this whole question.

Quick Reply: Philosophical question