Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Just got out of a mentally abusive relationship. Now what?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
From what I've seen, it helps.

Hooking up and getting laid soon after a relationship is never a good thing. You're not thinking rationally, and once you do, you feel less confident in yourself. Avoiding it gives you time to take a step back and "recover", if you will.

Different strokes for different folks, this is just my
Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
so you're saying you get less confident when you talk to a new girl and bang her???

your confidence level should soar.
its just like sales.
once you close a deal.
you gain more confidence.
might even get cocky.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-15-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by justnspace
so you're saying you get less confident when you talk to a new girl and bang her???

your confidence level should soar.
its just like sales.
once you close a deal.
you gain more confidence.
might even get cocky.
It's nothing like sales. Sales, you always have the end result. There's a big difference between having a relationship and having a one night stand. Most people that don't do it often feel bad about themselves later.

Imagine if cjTL was a girl and we were giving him this advice.

Your goal is to eventually get into a meaningful relationship. Not resort to hooking up whenever.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
When I was your age...

Seriously. You're 17. Go get some new fresh meat.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Keep It Simple in

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Get over it.
Dont text her, she's fucking with your mind.

Or be honest and tell her what you really think of her..thatll get her off your back.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
look at this like quitting a bad habit, such as smoking. for the first few days it gets harder and harder going through that withdrawl. then one day it just starts to get easier day by day. but if you talk to the ex again (or in this analogy smoke a cigarette) you ruin all progress you have made and have to start from scratch again. stay away. your emotions will thank you for it later on when dealing with it gets easier.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Damn bro she sounds like a crazy bitch. I'm guessing the reason you put up with her was cause of the sex? Cause I don't see any other reason why you would have. And about her not caring about your car or mods. Every freaking girl I've talked to since getting the TL hasn't even pretended to care about the TL . My TLs passanger seat gets more vaj then me though. :angryfire

Good luck on the recovery and start talking to other hotties ASAP .
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Best reason to have female best friend ever
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Noodz Bro!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
CJ I'm glad you took my advice and made a thread

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. It sounds like it's taken a toll on your mentally and I know that's rough. It sounds like she just wanted you there for her to hear that she's "beautiful", when apparently she already knew that. Selfish trick.

A part of me wants to tell you what the other fellas have been telling you, to go out and poke a few girls. Another part of me wants to tell you to just chill with your boys for a bit and steer clear of the spatchels. I lost a lot of friends when I got in my current relationship almost 2 years ago. Everyone was happy for me but a lot of them stopped returning calls and such. Even though I'm extremely happy in my relationship, it hurts losing friends no matter the circumstance.

Of course you need to do what's best for you man! If that means laying around crying and masturbating, then you do it. We all deal with shitty situations differently.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I haven't checked this thread in a while. It's just been best for me to keep my mind off it at this point. It's getting a lot easier by now though.

Originally Posted by akplaya92
Damn bro she sounds like a crazy bitch. I'm guessing the reason you put up with her was cause of the sex? Cause I don't see any other reason why you would have.
Yup. You guess correctly. Damn was that dumb..

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
CJ I'm glad you took my advice and made a thread

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. It sounds like it's taken a toll on your mentally and I know that's rough. It sounds like she just wanted you there for her to hear that she's "beautiful", when apparently she already knew that. Selfish trick.

A part of me wants to tell you what the other fellas have been telling you, to go out and poke a few girls. Another part of me wants to tell you to just chill with your boys for a bit and steer clear of the spatchels. I lost a lot of friends when I got in my current relationship almost 2 years ago. Everyone was happy for me but a lot of them stopped returning calls and such. Even though I'm extremely happy in my relationship, it hurts losing friends no matter the circumstance.

Of course you need to do what's best for you man! If that means laying around crying and masturbating, then you do it. We all deal with shitty situations differently.
She was/is something else. I really just don't even have that much desire to go out and find someone else to be with or even to just mess around with right now. My mind is in a different place- a good place. Starting to get easier day by day. I've stopped ignoring her and we're on alright terms but I don't care to talk to her more than I have to. I've been hanging out with other friends and working on/cleaning my car obsessively. I just like being independent for once and not waking up, knowing I have to talk to some evil B who makes me feel like shit.

Thanks man. It really is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
OP: Some thoughts from an old guy.

When you've been hurt like this, it's just going to hurt until it doesn't. No magic pill, no shortcuts. But it will get better, know that. But situations like yours can teach you a lot. It's not a waste if you take something from it.

First lesson is that you teach people how to treat you. The minute she was bitchy to you and you took it, you taught her it's OK. If you run into the type that is inclined to be manipulative, being passive to bad bahavior towards you guarantees more of the same. Now everyone has bad moments, but patterns of bad behavior need to be addressed. She stops, or you move on.

Relationships are two way streets. You give to her, she gives to you. The perfect arrangement is when you put her interests ahead of yours, but then she does the same for you. When it happens in balance like that, that's when you have something. So lesson number two here is to recognize when that is not in balance. Sounds like you put her ahead of you, but she did not return it. Huge red flag.

Third - you can't be in a healthy relationship with someone else if you don't have a healthy view of yourself. You need to like you first, before you're in a place to have someone else share that. Don't even worry about women until you get a positive self image back. If you bring low self esteem into a relationship, you're just setting yourself up for more of the same. You've already been there, done that with this girl.

Fourth, don't ever, ever, ever, be with someone who makes you feel bad about yourself (man or woman). Life is to short to waste time with people who bring you down. But people are funny - they hang on to these relationships out of loyalty or whatever, but they are wasting time investing in these people if there is nothing coming back to them. Be with people who build you up and rid yourself of people who don't.

Last point. Always see women for who they are, not who you want them to be in your head. Don't fall into this trap of always thinking she'll get better or some day be different. Always evaluate what's in front of you - what you observe. Look at actions, not words. Words are cheap. Actions require thought and investment.

Don't let her define who you are - you decide that. Don't spend another day beating yourself up over what happend. Every time you let a memory of her hold you back, she's abusing you all over again. She's done enough of that. She's had her turn. Your turn now. Go enjoy being 17.

Best of luck!

Last edited by 1Louder; 07-23-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by cjTL
She was/is something else. I really just don't even have that much desire to go out and find someone else to be with or even to just mess around with right now. My mind is in a different place- a good place. Starting to get easier day by day. I've stopped ignoring her and we're on alright terms but I don't care to talk to her more than I have to. I've been hanging out with other friends and working on/cleaning my car obsessively. I just like being independent for once and not waking up, knowing I have to talk to some evil B who makes me feel like shit.

Thanks man. It really is greatly appreciated.
I think that's exactly what you need to do man. Do some shit that you enjoy and gets your mind away from the drama that this bitch hangs over your head. I think no matter if you are in a relationship or not, that every once in a while you need some time to yourself. Even though my girlfriend and I are glued at the hip to each other, I'll get in a bad mood and just need a night to myself. After that, I'm much better. I think you permanently need a break from this girl and hopefully you start moving in the right direction.

And you know I got you man! Hit me up anytime. My girlfriend read your post and she agrees with everything you have said. She thought it was pretty messed up what your ex was doing. Now you have two people supporting you. Hollllaaaaaaaaa

Edit: 1Louder that was an absolutely amazing post. I really enjoyed reading that. Even though I'm in a very healthy relationship, it's good to hear things like that. It makes me appreciate what I have
Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
I've been hanging out with other friends and working on/cleaning my car obsessively..
That is what I would have suggested. Or get your mind off of that fiasco by getting something new for the car that keeps your attention, or go and just spend some money on yourself at the mall (well, that's what I'd do ). Maybe while you're cleaning obsessively, keep a rag that you just used to clean your wheels with handy in case she she drops by and "has something on her face that you'll get for her"
Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by 1Louder
OP: Some thoughts from an old guy.

When you've been hurt like this, it's just going to hurt until it doesn't. No magic pill, no shortcuts. But it will get better, know that. But situations like yours can teach you a lot. It's not a waste if you take something from it.

First lesson is that you teach people how to treat you. The minute she was bitchy to you and you took it, you taught her it's OK. If you run into the type that is inclined to be manipulative, being passive to bad bahavior towards you guarantees more of the same. Now everyone has bad moments, but patterns of bad behavior need to be addressed. She stops, or you move on.

Relationships are two way streets. You give to her, she gives to you. The perfect arrangement is when you put her interests ahead of yours, but then she does the same for you. When it happens in balance like that, that's when you have something. So lesson number two here is to recognize when that is not in balance. Sounds like you put her ahead of you, but she did not return it. Huge red flag.

Third - you can't be in a healthy relationship with someone else if you don't have a healthy view of yourself. You need to like you first, before you're in a place to have someone else share that. Don't even worry about women until you get a positive self image back. If you bring low self esteem into a relationship, you're just setting yourself up for more of the same. You've already been there, done that with this girl.

Fourth, don't ever, ever, ever, be with someone who makes you feel bad about yourself (man or woman). Life is to short to waste time with people who bring you down. But people are funny - they hang on to these relationships out of loyalty or whatever, but they are wasting time investing in these people if there is nothing coming back to them. Be with people who build you up and rid yourself of people who don't.

Last point. Always see women for who they are, not who you want them to be in your head. Don't fall into this trap of always thinking she'll get better or some day be different. Always evaluate what's in front of you - what you observe. Look at actions, not words. Words are cheap. Actions require thought and investment.

Don't let her define who you are - you decide that. Don't spend another day beating yourself up over what happend. Every time you let a memory of her hold you back, she's abusing you all over again. She's done enough of that. She's had her turn. Your turn now. Go enjoy being 17.

Best of luck!
Sir I've never met you but I'd like to after that post. Wow. I saved it to my notes in Entourage. Great advice. Particulary this:

But people are funny - they hang on to these relationships out of loyalty or whatever, but they are wasting time investing in these people if there is nothing coming back to them. Be with people who build you up and rid yourself of people who don't.
Really made me think. All I can say is that is one of the best things I've ever read on here and genuinely gave me something to think about after all this. Each day is getting easier and easier. Thank you. God bless.

I think that's exactly what you need to do man. Do some shit that you enjoy and gets your mind away from the drama that this bitch hangs over your head. I think no matter if you are in a relationship or not, that every once in a while you need some time to yourself. Even though my girlfriend and I are glued at the hip to each other, I'll get in a bad mood and just need a night to myself. After that, I'm much better. I think you permanently need a break from this girl and hopefully you start moving in the right direction.

And you know I got you man! Hit me up anytime. My girlfriend read your post and she agrees with everything you have said. She thought it was pretty messed up what your ex was doing. Now you have two people supporting you. Hollllaaaaaaaaa

Edit: 1Louder that was an absolutely amazing post. I really enjoyed reading that. Even though I'm in a very healthy relationship, it's good to hear things like that. It makes me appreciate what I have
Thanks man. That's exactly what I've been doing- staying busy. I can't even begin to list everything I've done in the past week and all the people I've hung out with. Freedom.

I think it's awesome that you and your girlfriend can sit on Acurazine together. Takes a special girl to support your hobbies like that. Keep her around dude! How long have you been together?

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
That is what I would have suggested. Or get your mind off of that fiasco by getting something new for the car that keeps your attention, or go and just spend some money on yourself at the mall (well, that's what I'd do ). Maybe while you're cleaning obsessively, keep a rag that you just used to clean your wheels with handy in case she she drops by and "has something on her face that you'll get for her"
to the last part. I wish sometimes. Just trying to stay on somewhat decent terms. The last thing I want is to hate someone forever and always.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

You don't have to hate her. Just realize that she isn't worth your time, which you seem to have
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 AM

Thanks man. That's exactly what I've been doing- staying busy. I can't even begin to list everything I've done in the past week and all the people I've hung out with. Freedom.

I think it's awesome that you and your girlfriend can sit on Acurazine together. Takes a special girl to support your hobbies like that. Keep her around dude! How long have you been together?
It will be 2 years in November

She comes to all of my Acurazine meets with me, even when I drive up to Maryland and such. She plans on going to Import Alliance with me next year and it's an 8-hour drive west into TN. I can truly say that I'm in love with her and I can't picture myself with anyone else. No I don't love her just because of the car meets she attends, she does plenty more, but that's just one of the things. We both make sacrifices to keep each other happy and I think that's all part of a relationship.

It took me 19 years and plenty of fucked relationships to find her, but I finally did. That's the kind of attitude you need to have man. You'll find her, it just takes some longer than others. Until then, enjoy yourself and have fun
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by AMAN1
You don't have to hate her. Just realize that she isn't worth your time, which you seem to have
Indeed I have. It's difficult not being bitter at times though.

It will be 2 years in November

She comes to all of my Acurazine meets with me, even when I drive up to Maryland and such. She plans on going to Import Alliance with me next year and it's an 8-hour drive west into TN. I can truly say that I'm in love with her and I can't picture myself with anyone else. No I don't love her just because of the car meets she attends, she does plenty more, but that's just one of the things. We both make sacrifices to keep each other happy and I think that's all part of a relationship.

It took me 19 years and plenty of fucked relationships to find her, but I finally did. That's the kind of attitude you need to have man. You'll find her, it just takes some longer than others. Until then, enjoy yourself and have fun
That's so cool dude. She really sounds supportive of you and that's something a lot of girls don't get about guys- that they like it when interest is shown in their hobbies. Its also great when a girl understands how a guy's mind works. That they need their own space and time sometimes also. Something my ex didn't get at all.

I think I'm going to Import Alliance next year. About five hours from Indianapolis here. Whether I'll be going alone or not? Only time can tell.
I heard it's pretty awesome though.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 AM

That's so cool dude. She really sounds supportive of you and that's something a lot of girls don't get about guys- that they like it when interest is shown in their hobbies. Its also great when a girl understands how a guy's mind works. That they need their own space and time sometimes also. Something my ex didn't get at all.

I think I'm going to Import Alliance next year. About five hours from Indianapolis here. Whether I'll be going alone or not? Only time can tell.
I heard it's pretty awesome though.
I was talking to my girlfriend last night about your thread and we both agreed that we each do things for each other that we may not be totally thrilled out (ie my Acurazine meets or her dragging me to the zoo) but we still go and try to have fun just so it puts a smile on the other persons face. As long as that happens then it's worth it.

I'm not trying to get your thread off topic and shit but I'll be going to IA next year. I should have gone this year but my finances weren't going to allow it. That would be awesome if you made the drive.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Sounds like a prissy bitch, you're better off. You're coming into the perfect age man, fuck around as much as possible, it doesn't get any easier.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAN1
From what I've seen, it helps.

Hooking up and getting laid soon after a relationship is never a good thing. You're not thinking rationally, and once you do, you feel less confident in yourself. Avoiding it gives you time to take a step back and "recover", if you will.

Different strokes for different folks, this is just my
I second your two cents, making it
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm Craig

Guys I appreciate all the support in the thread. Thus, I'm dedicating my 1000th post on Acurazine to you guys.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
any pics yet?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm Craig

Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
bang any diff girls yet?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm Craig

Mentally, I'm not in the right place. I'm content with just being me for a bit.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Nothing wrong with that man. Sometimes I need "me time" as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Mentally, I'm not in the right place. I'm content with just being me for a bit.
There's no rush - take your time to reflect and keep your worries at a minimum.