Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

I think my GF and I just broke up over religious differences

Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Fresh Off the Boat. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=F.O.B.

Anyways, didnt mean to go offtopic.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
im loving these google ads that come up on this topic
Old 11-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
im loving these google ads that come up on this topic

Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve

Old 11-26-2005, 11:40 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by wstevens
My wife went to Catholic school when she was younger, but she has never been very religious and is not religious now.

I was never religious. I was baptized in a Catholic church, and that's about it. In fact, having never been confirmed, I had to lie to the priest that married us because the church required that I had my confirmation.

LOL, you lied to the priest so you can be married in a catholic chruch... gotta love the irony!

(actually, I think my dad did the same thing)
Old 11-27-2005, 04:30 AM
Pro

Sorry to hear that a great relationship might be over due to religious faith. It has happened to myself as well. I am a non-practicing catholic, she was baptist christian. Religion was a very important part of her life and I wasn't able to be a part of it since I wasn't with her to convert. It was tough but it boiled down to what she needed in her life and it was someone with a identical religious faith so it was over for us.

Talk to her, and figure out where things stand and what can be moved. If you are meant for each other things will work out.

Good Luck
Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Banned

I always tell them i don't want kids..... That puts a end to that topic..
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

there was a banner at the bottom for some website that blends the two holidays and had a humorous name
Old 11-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
there was a banner at the bottom for some website that blends the two holidays and had a humorous name
Christmahaunakwanza?????
btw who teh hell celebrates kwanza?? Not even the blacks celebrate that holiday!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by importtuner
Christmahaunakwanza?????
btw who teh hell celebrates kwanza?? Not even the blacks celebrate that holiday!

It depends on how black you are. If you are Halle Berry black, you don't celebrate Kwanzaa. If you are Wesley Snipes black, Kwanzaa is the most important event of the year.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by wstevens
It depends on how black you are. If you are Halle Berry black, you don't celebrate Kwanzaa. If you are Wesley Snipes black, Kwanzaa is the most important event of the year.
It's the same deal with Rosh Hashana, except it's the size of your nose is what counts.....Michael Jackson celebrated the Jewish new year for most of his life but then the Jews rejected him when his nose fell off. It was quite the scene when Pinocchio and some high school JAPS had to forcefully remove him from the temple......
Old 11-27-2005, 02:05 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
yeah but both religions indoctrinate the children from infancy to an extent...baptism...briss....etc. the choice thing would be a great option if it wasn't for that fact.
Dont see why cant try and incorporate both
Old 11-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Originally Posted by Whiskers
It's the same deal with Rosh Hashana, except it's the size of your nose is what counts.....Michael Jackson celebrated the Jewish new year for most of his life but then the Jews rejected him when his nose fell off. It was quite the scene when Pinocchio and some high school JAPS had to forcefully remove him from the temple......
Old 11-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 11-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Banned

My parents are intent on the Lutheran girl thing. Hello!!! Lutherans who to go church every Sunday aren't any better than Catholics!

It's like the people who live in Monroe and work in Toledo: WINOs
(Wolverines in Name Only). If you spend most of five days of the week in Ohio, you're a damn Buckeye.
(Lansing appreciates the tax revenue though. Thanks.)
Old 11-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Beware of leakage

I went gambling with Leobolo28 last night, and he is russian/jewish, I should have asked him about this.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what will they do to that high priestess of kabbala, aka Madonna?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
She made a deal with the Jews that involved her getting a circumcision
at 40....
Old 11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Bish about her making money from her new album, "Plagiarizing Songs on the Dance Floor." But then, she'll take some of her shekels down to the temple, and they will suddenly not mind so much.

There's just somethign wrong about a girl from Detroit suburbia moving to London and acting like a Jewish princess.

Trivial pursuit: One of the country's highest concentration of Russian Jews is in the eastern Cleveland suburbs. The Russians there are almost all Jews and vice versum.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by M TYPE X

It's like the people who live in Monroe and work in Toledo: WINOs
(Wolverines in Name Only). If you spend most of five days of the week in Ohio, you're a damn Buckeye.
(Lansing appreciates the tax revenue though. Thanks.)

Old 11-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by is300eater
Analogical thinking ownz j00. I said that Lutherans are the first Protestants, and as such they see themselves differently from Catholics. But they're really just borderline Catholics, compared to other Protestants. The solution, of course, is to be "nominally Lutheran" and go to church once every third year. When I'm dragged to it.

<= used to be a church usher
Old 11-27-2005, 03:45 PM
I shoot people

Analogical thinking ownz j00. I said that Lutherans are the first Protestants, and as such they see themselves differently from Catholics. But they're really just borderline Catholics, compared to other Protestants. The solution, of course, is to be "nominally Lutheran" and go to church once every third year. When I'm dragged to it.

<= used to be a church usher
ah, got it! thanks...
Old 11-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Some people live on the borderline. That's not living!

Some people are just more "authentic" than others in their social beliefs.
For example, I want to live in Grand Rapids and listen to country music when I shop at Meijer and Wal-Mart. Just don't, you, know, tell anyone.
"Bush is my president, right or wrong. The Catholic Church told me to have more kids, so I have ten."

:killer: needs to stop by and pick up on my routine. I'm running out of material.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I am Hindu and my fiance is Greek Orthodox. In case you don't know about them....they don't even except other Christian religions. Ironically, this has been the only sore spot in our relationship (well that and the fact that I didnt put heart stamps on our thank you cards). I will not convert. Her family did not like that. Now that they have gotten to know me they have become much more understanding and support her (which makes life muuuch happier) . I don't expect her to convert, either. As far as children go (this conversation has come up maaany times) We agreed to teach both things. I don't go to the temple all the time but I know my religion pretty well. I have studied it to some extent. With Greeksl, their religion is part of their lifestyle as well. So it makes it tough. I do know that the temple is very excepting of her and her faith but the Orthodox church will basically cast her out. That is fucked up in my opinion. We are looking for a nice non denominational priest for the Christian part of the wedding. It is not the same, and I feel bad about that. But, i don't think it is right to convert because someone else is guiliting you into it. One should do it if they want to. It is a part of your identity. So, because she is giving that up I agreed that if we do have kids (which are NOT in the plans...for personal reasons....plus I want a Ferrari :P) I will do my best to teach them about the Greek Orthodox religion and Hinduism. I would prefer it if we all became Bhudist. I don't think she is game though.

Last edited by Loseit; 11-27-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

I just realized that i posted in forum a that I try to avoid almost as much as R&P because the threads kill me. And of all the people to actually have a "real" thread in here....it's frickin zeroday. I think the Cubs might win next year. :P

Having said that, I do enjoy Wstevens threads and the shit Nicky posts. Those are classics.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loseit
And of all the people to actually have a "real" thread in here....it's frickin zeroday. I think the Cubs might win next year.

Greek Orthodox and Hindu eh? I once met an Eskimo chick on the internet that was engaged to a Kurd. That was interesting.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's just something wrong about a girl from Detroit suburbia moving to London and acting like a Jewish princess.
Worst of all, what kind of JAP is named "Madonna"?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
of all the people to actually have a "real" thread in here....it's frickin zeroday. I think the Cubs might win next year. :P
Old 11-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Race Director

I am Hindu and my fiance is Greek Orthodox. In case you don't know about them....they don't even except other Christian religions. Ironically, this has been the only sore spot in our relationship (well that and the fact that I didnt put heart stamps on our thank you cards). I will not convert. Her family did not like that. Now that they have gotten to know me they have become much more understanding and support her (which makes life muuuch happier) . I don't expect her to convert, either. As far as children go (this conversation has come up maaany times) We agreed to teach both things. I don't go to the temple all the time but I know my religion pretty well. I have studied it to some extent. With Greeksl, their religion is part of their lifestyle as well. So it makes it tough. I do know that the temple is very excepting of her and her faith but the Orthodox church will basically cast her out. That is fucked up in my opinion. We are looking for a nice non denominational priest for the Christian part of the wedding. It is not the same, and I feel bad about that. But, i don't think it is right to convert because someone else is guiliting you into it. One should do it if they want to. It is a part of your identity. So, because she is giving that up I agreed that if we do have kids (which are NOT in the plans...for personal reasons....plus I want a Ferrari :P) I will do my best to teach them about the Greek Orthodox religion and Hinduism. I would prefer it if we all became Bhudist. I don't think she is game though.
i thought i had problems
Old 11-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally Posted by zeroday

I wrote so much that I forgot to make a point!!! Damn
What I was trying to say is that it is better you guys sort these things out now...esp since it seems like a more serious relationship. If she can't (or you can't) compromise then it is better that youpart ways now, otherwise you will be miserable later on. We are not spring chickens anymore and shit that we didn't really think about matters now. It kinda sux actually. But, i guess this all goes along with getting older.

Ok, i'm getting off my soapbox now.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Racer

This is why religion cracks me up. They preach exceptance except if your not the "right" religion. I was raised catholic, but never bought into it. It was just shoved down my throat. I find it hard to believe that I've spent the better of 12 years helping people, and when I die, I'm going to be infront of the gaits and get" thanks for risking your life for our followers, but your not coming in..."
Old 11-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lodi781
This is why religion cracks me up. They preach exceptance except if your not the "right" religion. I was raised catholic, but never bought into it. It was just shoved down my throat. I find it hard to believe that I've spent the better of 12 years helping people, and when I die, I'm going to be infront of the gaits and get" thanks for risking your life for our followers, but your not coming in..."
You can't fool me. To my death, I'll believe that Protestants are just better than Catholics. It's like my other strong belief that Pepsi is better than Coke.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Race Director

where's caladria with her spell checker

but i hear ya. i think much of catholicism is man made horseshit
Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Cause of power outages...

As a protestant we don't preach acceptance for people of other religions (non-Christian religions, I mean). We preach tolerance, but we don't accept as truth other religions. Hey, it's our prerogative, although we actually believe it's our God's prerogative, but that doesn't make one difference to someone from another religion. And just as it is our right to believe as such, it's everyone else's right to believe that we're wrong.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that someone else is incorrect. The problem comes in when you try to forcefully convert other people. That's where you get into the realm of radical religions.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

[QUOTE=Loseit]I am Hindu and my fiance is Greek Orthodox. In case you don't know about them....they don't even except other Christian religions.

Actually, if you convert from Catholicism to Greek Orthodox, you do not have to be baptized again. The two religions are very similiar, considering that they both spawned from the birth of Christianity, then the great schism happened.

I dated a Greek Orthodox chick (I'm Catholic) and we argued about how our supposed wedding would be and how the kids would be raised, and it was such a headache.

Now I'm dating a Catholic chick, and life is so much easier. We are pretty serious, so I see marriage in our future, and we will, of course, raise our kids to be Catholic. I won't be against my children choosing another religion, nor will I force them to practice the Catholic faith. I will teach them the faith, and it is up to them to choose their path.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

[QUOTE=Type Sun]
I am Hindu and my fiance is Greek Orthodox. In case you don't know about them....they don't even except other Christian religions.

Actually, if you convert from Catholicism to Greek Orthodox, you do not have to be baptized again. The two religions are very similiar, considering that they both spawned from the birth of Christianity, then the great schism happened.

I dated a Greek Orthodox chick (I'm Catholic) and we argued about how our supposed wedding would be and how the kids would be raised, and it was such a headache.

Now I'm dating a Catholic chick, and life is so much easier. We are pretty serious, so I see marriage in our future, and we will, of course, raise our kids to be Catholic. I won't be against my children choosing another religion, nor will I force them to practice the Catholic faith. I will teach them the faith, and it is up to them to choose their path.
yeah, they have an asterix for Catholics. But only if you promise that your kids will be greek orthodox.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Cause of power outages...

Blech...it's exactly for the reasons posted in this thread that I didn't date someone outside of my religion. It just seems to cause way too many problems.

It's not bad to want to stick to your religion (or atheism if that's the case) or to want to teach it to your kids. And that's the problem...people want to pass on their religious and cultural heritage. Unfortunately passing on religious heritage causes problems when the two people are of differing religions.

Honestly, zeroday, unless you become Jewish, or she becomes Catholic, I don't see much of a future. Few couples make for the long haul when they come from different religious backgrounds.

Sorry dude. It just sucks so much that you found someone that fits your personality so well who has a different religion.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Race Director

well the kicker here is that i am basically not even a practicing catholic. this is mostly a family issue. my parents are very religious and they are the ones that are going to have the huge problem with this.

she knows this and thinks i'm not standing up to my family for what i want...with her, she is very active in her religion so it would make sense that the kids should take on her religion. i just know it would be like lighting a nuclear bomb in my family though.

as for me becoming jewish; it aint gonna happen. ever.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
If your family couldn't accept that you love(?) a Jewish woman they have issues. You said yourself you aren't a practicing Catholic so is the only reason you'd like to raise your kids Catholic because of your family?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Race Director

You said yourself you aren't a practicing Catholic so is the only reason you'd like to raise your kids Catholic because of your family?
yeah pretty much although i would still want them to celebrate christmas, easter etc...more out of tradition than religion i guess.

Quick Reply: I think my GF and I just broke up over religious differences