Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

I think my GF and I just broke up over religious differences

Old 11-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I think my GF and I just broke up over religious differences

She's Jewish, I'm catholic. She kept bringing up the question about if we had kids which religion would they brought up with. We both didn't want to budge on whos religion they would take. So it came up again this morning and she just left my house. We didn't say it but i think it's over. Everything else is great in our relationship; should this be enough to break two people up? If not, how would you address the problem?

I thought about putting this in R&P but this seems more appropriate IMO

Old 11-26-2005, 10:09 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
For some. this can be a very important issue. Adrienne and I have battled it for sometime, she want's to raise our kids catholic, I don't want to force any kind of religion on them. I think I'll end up sending them to sunday school, etc and teaching them lifes morals. But I doubt i'll ever speak to them about "God" and what is right about God and what isn't.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
one of my clients, who's like a "mother figure" to me... (well, at least... when it comes to dating), told me that a lot people don't bring the religion thing til later in their relationship... but with her own experience AND from just knowing a lot of couples in her life time... the religion "thing" almost always comes up and becomes an issue at one point or another... some couples figure it out, some don't
Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Race Director

^^ yeah i guess she thought it was best to address earlier since it could be a deal breaker type of thing. this just feels wierd. never broken up with someone when there was no personality conflict or something. we had a great night last night.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by zeroday
^^ yeah i guess she thought it was best to address earlier since it could be a deal breaker type of thing. this just feels wierd. never broken up with someone when there was no personality conflict or something. we had a great night last night.
..if she's someone that you really like and see a future with... then, I'd give a shot and try to save the relationship... but if she isn't... well... ya know...
Old 11-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
to me, I think the child should be brought uop in the religion where one partner is more active in. If she attends service and you do not, then the child should follow her religion.

my 2 centavos!!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
She's Jewish, I'm catholic. She kept bringing up the question about if we had kids which religion would they brought up with.
Well, technically, your kids would be Jewish. Doesn't mean you'd have to 'bring them up' that way, but Jewish law states the children always fall under the mother's religion. It is done this way, esentially, because you *always* know the child belongs to the mother, where it can sometimes be a question as to who's the father.

Religion is definitely a touchy subject, but I believe it's always best to discuss things like this before marriage and definitely before any child is born. It's something too important and personal to figure out and decide once the child is already in this world.

If it's a decision that neither of you will budge on, see it as a good thing that it's being dealt with now instead of after you two were married or faced with the situation head-on.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Im a Jew and my wife isn't. SS is correct, in the Jewish religion, technically the child is the mothers religion. I solved my issue by becoming agnostic.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't be with someone who didn't share my view on religion.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
I couldn't be with someone who didn't share my view on religion.
BEET-congrats on 16K posts
Old 11-26-2005, 11:59 AM
ric
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's Jewish, I'm catholic. She kept bringing up the question about if we had kids which religion would they brought up with. We both didn't want to budge on whos religion they would take. So it came up again this morning and she just left my house. We didn't say it but i think it's over. Everything else is great in our relationship; should this be enough to break two people up? If not, how would you address the problem?

I thought about putting this in R&P but this seems more appropriate IMO

Sorry, man, but one or the other of you has to give, and if neither of you is willing, then the relationship has to suffer. Technically, whatever your religion is is irrelevant; if she is Jewish, the children you have would be Jewish, whether they are raised with any understanding of Jewish religion or not. As a result of Jewish law, I have two nephews who are Jewish, although both come from, on the other side, a stalwart Episcopal background. Both are functionally non-practicing.

A lot of the differences between minor variations between selected denominations can be overcome by careful selection of a "neutral" church - a Methodist and an Episcopaelian attending a Congregational church. But - the leap between theologies in relation to the divinity of the big guy from Nazereth is asking a lot.....

I had an engagement break off because I am Unitarian and the young woman in question was a high-church Episcopaelian...... we broke up over the arrangements for the weddning, let alone the issues of what the children would be raised.

I ended up marrying an Episcopaelian who has since converted to Quaker (Society of Friends). We were married in a Unitarian church by a minister from the UCC, who provided the homily without referencing the divinity of the nice carpenter guy.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Chaulk up another point for Religion.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

both become Baptist or Mormon heck or Buddhist. Problem solved
Old 11-26-2005, 01:24 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jews are a pain in the ass, I should know because I am one. You would not believe the doors that are opened for you simply by being jewish, kind of weird.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Beware of leakage

Just because it's jewish law, why does it have to be followed ?

Driving with your seatbelt on is a law, but it is broken. Who will really know ?

I'm sure most will see my point here, but I'm not going to argue.

Here's the kicker, I was raised Catholic (mom is catholic), but because religion was forced upon me, I don't attend church very often or am involved in any catholic functions. However, I wouldn't want to be any other religion.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Religion issues often go beyond the actual religion and extend to issues of the way we're brought up and the way we expect to our offspring to be brought up. It affects the way we view the world. If there isn't a common ground, then there can be conflict.

If religion is important for her, better for both you and her to move on. IMHO... These issues become quite significant during marriage and childrearing.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Chopper

Here's the kicker, I was raised Catholic (mom is catholic), but because religion was forced upon me, I don't attend church very often or am involved in any catholic functions. However, I wouldn't want to be any other religion.

(plus... catholic chicks are naughty )
Old 11-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear...

My gf is Catholic and I'm ~agnostic... We've allready talked about it briefly, but if we do marry I've decided to let the kids be raised Catholic if she so wishes. It really doesn't bother me much, as long as the kids don't follow it blindly.

Actually didnt' know about the whole religion goes with the mother thing too. Interesting new fact for me.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US

Actually didnt' know about the whole religion goes with the mother thing too. Interesting new fact for me.

...well, I believe that's only with the Jew's...
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
thats why I'll stick to Punjabi Sikh girl to marry.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
traditionally the children go with the mothers side, especially since the mother USUALLY more proactive in teaching religious values. The dad, in my opinion, is an "enforcer" if you will.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:24 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Me and my girl are the same damn religion but I don't practice (don't go to church and don't like religion that much) I just follow the rules of being good and believing in God. She was upset about this and I was like WTF?! Are you serious? I have gotten this alot since Jamaicans tend to take religion REAAAAALLLLYYYYY serious.

Meh she got over it though but seriously I enjoy the company of Jews and Athiest cause neither of them care what you do with your religion (that is unless you date them I guess)
Old 11-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned

Catholic-and-Jewish? They usually become neocons that involve the country in crazy foreign wars.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chopper

i was raised catholic and while i dont really practice catholisism (sp) i still wish to be married in the catholic church, etc just seems right

is it possible to teach the children both religions and allow them to choose if they choose to at all? thats what my uncle and his wife did with their children
Old 11-26-2005, 06:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
luckily me and my girl are both jewish.

I was with a cathoic girl once, and the subject came up. I said I know technically the religion of the mother is taken, but I would like my children to grow up jewish (even though I practice about much as an atheist.)

But I also said (and believe) that the child should be exposed to both religions and allowed to make their own choice when they are old enough. And if that choice included neither, then so be it.

forcing religion on anyone justs drives them further from it.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
luckily me and my girl are both jewish.

I was with a cathoic girl once, and the subject came up. I said I know technically the religion of the mother is taken, but I would like my children to grow up jewish (even though I practice about much as an atheist.)

But I also said (and believe) that the child should be exposed to both religions and allowed to make their own choice when they are old enough. And if that choice included neither, then so be it.

forcing religion on anyone justs drives them further from it.
yeah but both religions indoctrinate the children from infancy to an extent...baptism...briss....etc. the choice thing would be a great option if it wasn't for that fact.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Can't you compromise? Are you real religious? Do you regularly attend church? If not, raise the kids Jewish. However, since obviously you celebrate Christmas, your kids would too. Once they're old enough to know what's best for them they can always choose to become Catholic.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:58 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Can't you compromise? Are you real religious? Do you regularly attend church? If not, raise the kids Jewish. However, since obviously you celebrate Christmas, your kids would too. Once they're old enough to know what's best for them they can always choose to become Catholic.

still gets complicated though... it's like... this time of the year.... is it Christmas or Hanukah? Or both? (on that note, I've always thought it was cool about getting multi gifts for the days of Hanukah... )
Old 11-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by is300eater
still gets complicated though... it's like... this time of the year.... is it Christmas or Hanukah? Or both? (on that note, I've always thought it was cool about getting multi gifts for the days of Hanukah... )
It's Holidays. Do your capitalist duty and spend some money. Lots of it.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

I know many Jewish people that celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas. Christmas has become a VERY secular holiday (unfortunately IMO) and more and more non-Christians are celebrating it each year.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
I know many Jewish people that celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas. Christmas has become a VERY secular holiday (unfortunately IMO) and more and more non-Christians are celebrating it each year.
I celebrate the gifts.....
Old 11-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I celebrate the gifts.....
My point exactly... it's not that uncommon anymore.

However, obviously the differences between the two religions are much deeper than which Holiday you celebrate in December.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I agree with Mrsteve.

Since my brother had kids, we been celebrating christmas also. When i was younger, my parents did also and they are FOBs.

Maybe convert? I know its asking a lot but if i remember you told us you were in love with this girl right from the start. I say compromise somewhere and fight the good fight!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1killercls
Chaulk up another point for Religion.

Im not very religious... guess i am more for my parents. Basicly for all the wrong reasons. Sad really.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My wife went to Catholic school when she was younger, but she has never been very religious and is not religious now.

I was never religious. I was baptized in a Catholic church, and that's about it. In fact, having never been confirmed, I had to lie to the priest that married us because the church required that I had my confirmation.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
i was raised catholic and while i dont really practice catholisism (sp) i still wish to be married in the catholic church, etc just seems right
I agree with you on that. I was raised Catholic (school, baptism, communion, confirmation, etc), and I want to be married in a Catholic church. I'm not as religiously active as I was when I was younger, and I don't believe in everything the Catholic church teaches, but I wouldn't consider being another religion.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 98CLChick
I agree with you on that. I was raised Catholic (school, baptism, communion, confirmation, etc), and I want to be married in a Catholic church. I'm not as religiously active as I was when I was younger, and I don't believe in everything the Catholic church teaches, but I wouldn't consider being another religion.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

<------ not catholic
Old 11-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Meh... go to pre-cana and agree to raise your kids catholic and you're golden.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
I agree with Mrsteve.

Since my brother had kids, we been celebrating christmas also. When i was younger, my parents did also and they are FOBs.
FOB's?

Quick Reply: I think my GF and I just broke up over religious differences