Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

How many of you are in Long Distance Relationships?

Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by SilviaGTO
want to?

j/k
How YOU doin
Old 05-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I am right now, she is 10hrs away in Mississippi.

Its been about a month and it fuggin sucks
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been through a couple and I will say....I won't do it again...period
Old 05-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Japan here I come.....

2 years and counting

me and my husband have been doing it for two years. we are waiting for our house to get done so i can finally move. there are so many issues involved in building a house so hopefully we will be together once and for all this summer. the commute is 5 hours and we spend in excess of 5,000 minutes a month on the phone....
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I was for almsost 3 years when I was in the military. I'd NEVER do it again.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

once, w/ this chick in the air force, damn phone bills were off the hook. Currently...per say....we're next to eachother but so far
Old 09-05-2005, 11:12 PM
fhwagads

atleast im not alone.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FastAcura
I was for almsost 3 years when I was in the military. I'd NEVER do it again.

Damn old threads always bitting people in their asses!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Got a Job!

I'm about to be in a "distance" relationship, but I wouldn't call it LONG distance. She's staying down in the valley and I'm going up to UCSB...we'll see how that works out
Old 09-06-2005, 10:30 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
yea, that's not even distance, it's like what, an hour from the valley
Old 09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Got a Job!

yeah, haha...I guess she's just not going to be used to not seeing me every day; rather every other week
Old 09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Zapata
nah it's rough. i can understand. especially since you lived with her. If both of you can afford it i'd recommend getting

[pics[

quality is great. Woman and I will do it when we apart for extende periods of time. It helps seeing the other person.

As far as the other stuff Gotta dig into something. School? Business? Workout?
That's what I've been telling him, he refuses to do anything but whine about how much he misses me, and gets mad when I have other shit to do.

Sorry, babe, but it's the truth. Get off your ass and do something productive!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliadria
That's what I've been telling him, he refuses to do anything but whine about how much he misses me, and gets mad when I have other shit to do.

Sorry, babe, but it's the truth. Get off your ass and do something productive!!!
You two really need to keep some aspect of your private lives private. At this rate, we're all gonna know as much about you and Scott as you two know about each other.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout

Damn old threads always bitting people in their asses!

Haha

But I'll be moving there at the beginning of next year.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Haha

But I'll be moving there at the beginning of next year.

eww to Detroit? You really gotta be for that
Old 09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

eww to Detroit? You really gotta be for that
Stop ripping on Detroit! It's not that dirty!!

Eek, hope you are moving to the burbs, FastAcura, cuz Detroit itself is a disgusting pit.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I

Originally Posted by 98CLChick
Stop ripping on Detroit! It's not that dirty!!

Eek, hope you are moving to the burbs, FastAcura, cuz Detroit itself is a disgusting pit.

Hell no to Detroit. She lives in Livonia, probably moving to Ann Arbor for school.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:54 AM
Pro

I'm back in my LDR...going on a little over a year and a half now and I'm dying! We live 4 hours apart. We generally take turns closing the gap, but it's so very hard! It was ok in the beginning b/c when we had to part, I was ok with it. Now, I get mad and pissed that I have to leave him AGAIN! We generally talk everyday, but lately not so much. The real problem is that I work nights and he works days. It's hard for him to stay up late and talk and then go to work. Plus he so busy with his family there where he lives. I know he gets upset when I go out with my friends, but I can't take sitting at home anymore. I'm not sure where the line is on when to merge or let go. I just know I do alot more praying about the situation than I used to. I used to get the strength when I ask for it, now I just don't know where it is. But he is definitely where my heart and soul are and can't picture my life without him.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Was trying to stay away from this one but here is my take. Long distant relationship can only last so long, then you start losing the closeness.....

My long distant relationship was when my wife was a Flight Attendant. We lived in WA and she flew out of St Louis, MO. We did talk everyday (some times 2, 3 times). But we were always apart as she would come home for 4-5 days, then leave for 4-5 days. It can only work for so long.

My advice to you long distancers, do all possible to be a normal couple that can go to bed at night together...........

my 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

DarkSithGirl and Eggplant-EX, do you two have regrets starting and falling for someone who lives so far?

Eggplant, are you still married to her? Did she quit being a flight attendant? Dont have to answer if im being too nosey.

My story which most people know is that im with 98clchick who lives 4 hours away(driving). We see each other every other weekend. Mostly im with her from friday to sunday nonstop. I dont mind driving or flying and neither does she. Hell she took the train last time and sat on it for 6 hours! Anyways its only been 3 months of it and its working out well for us. When im with her, the rest of the world just seems to stop. I really do enjoy that feeling and wish it never goes away. She truely is worth the trips. met her parents few weekends ago Which went really well!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
We were married 16 years and divorced 6 years ago. It's true: absence makes the heart go wander'. With my wife, she flew for TWA and they got taken over by AA and all the TWA people are no longer working.

My g/f just broke up with me after 3.5 years. I have been extremely busy at work and tho' we only live 15 mins apart, we typically onlt saw each other during the weekends.

I truly believe that a relationship should be where both party are together and grow together. Being apart in the beginning is fine but that should not be too long. If both parties are serious and in agreement that there is a future for the relationship, then move heaven & earth to be together. When you go to bed and when you wake up, the other half should always be home...

Oh! I did not fall for someone living that far. She got on with TWA. In the beginning, we lived in LA and she worked out of NY. Then got transferred to LA. But still she had to leave for days on end. Then we moved to WA and she worked out of St Louis. We definitely grew apart. I have no regrets as I still see her and we still good friends.

Last edited by Eggplant-EX; 09-10-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Rebuilder

been in one going on 4 months .. I'm in NY she's in FL

it sucks balls ...

5 years and 8 months to go

she isnt about the sacrifices .. and thats making it damn hard. Tons of changes, her situation, and her not putting time or actions into the relationship are making it really hard for it to be healthy. way too much fighting going on right now. For the first 2 months we didnt talk (bootcamp) and we have yet to see eachother. Still another month until i can get down to see her.

i'm hoping things will turn around quickly though. I think she is well worth all of this, but that is only if it gets better and she realizes what she is (or isnt if you look at it that way) doing to the relationship.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I

DarkSithGirl and Eggplant-EX, do you two have regrets starting and falling for someone who lives so far?

Eggplant, are you still married to her? Did she quit being a flight attendant? Dont have to answer if im being too nosey.

My story which most people know is that im with 98clchick who lives 4 hours away(driving). We see each other every other weekend. Mostly im with her from friday to sunday nonstop. I dont mind driving or flying and neither does she. Hell she took the train last time and sat on it for 6 hours! Anyways its only been 3 months of it and its working out well for us. When im with her, the rest of the world just seems to stop. I really do enjoy that feeling and wish it never goes away. She truely is worth the trips. met her parents few weekends ago Which went really well!
Man, every other weekend sucks. Every week is bad enough. Funny thing is, mine took the train last week too. Did you pick her up at canal street?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
I will say, I definately don't recommend LDR's to most people. It is harder then shit. It has definately put a strain on our relationship. Luckily we have the rest of our lives to spend together to look forward too. But a certain amount of intimacy and comfort has definately been lost. The biggest difference is, when you do fight, you don't have that other persons smile to make everything go away and back to normal. That puts a huge strain on us.

I'd kill to be a 4 hour drive away like most of you

however, if you can make it through this, it should only get easier
Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
As much as people say long distance relationships don't work, my current relationship is a perfect example of a long distance relationship that has not only worked really well, it is looking like it will lead to much more as well.

My gf and I have been together for 3 years with the majority of our relationship spent on opposite sides of the country. At first when we were in school, we were both busy with various organizations we were involved with so even though we talked every day, we really led very separate lives. During the breaks, we would go and visit each other.

Once I started working, I was at least on the same coast as her so the travel became easier. We continued to see each other when we could, but it was still usually only once every couple of months. During the summer, she came out and stayed with me for an entire month, which was a nice change.

Right now, she is on the other side of the world doing a Fulbright in China. We still talk nearly every day (it's actually cheaper to call China that it is to all domestic long distance) and I am going out to visit her twice during her 10 month stay in China.

So while it doesn't always work for everyone, long distance relationships can work if there are two very dedicated individuals who truly love each other and can deal with being apart without straying.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Man, every other weekend sucks. Every week is bad enough. Funny thing is, mine took the train last week too. Did you pick her up at canal street?

Yea at union station. She wont take the train ever again.

Every other week is fine for both of us. When i do see her its 3 days straight, so about 72 hours total. I think thats a good amount of time and think most local couples dont see each other that much even.

Again someone mentioned that it takes a type of personality to do a LDR. I agree, Jen and i are both the types who never had a bf/gf who was always around. I know couples who spend every day together and i couldnt do that. She has things in her life that keep her busy and so do I. Between texting, AIMing, calling, etc... we communicate plenty during the week to keep us happy.

Its been working out well for us, today is our 3 months that we been together. Would i love to be local so i can spend her birthday with her today? Hell yes. But i know i will get to make it up on saturday when we all go out boozing!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Just wanted to see what category people fall into. If there's a little bit of minor fighting/arguing going on in an LDR and the 2 people decide to move closer/shack up together, does the fighting usually get worse or lessen? I think I remember reading Scott and Cali got along better when they got back close to each other, but I've heard a lot of people say 'if you fight in an LDR, don't move closer/shack up because it only gets worse.'

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:55 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
Just wanted to see what category people fall into. If there's a little bit of minor fighting/arguing going on in an LDR and the 2 people decide to move closer/shack up together, does the fighting usually get worse or lessen? I think I remember reading Scott and Cali got along better when they got back close to each other, but I've heard a lot of people say 'if you fight in an LDR, don't move closer/shack up because it only gets worse.'

Thoughts?

we actually probably fight less now, but we've fought over the same shit for 4 years. Money and house hold chores, now that we don't live together, it's only money

However, most of it was just us growing, not really the distance. All relationships have fights.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:22 AM
Pro

We didn't start out long distance...but everyone is right..it only lasts so long. There is no set time limit, every relationship is different. But eventually it always comes down to one wanting more and to progress the relationship. Don't think I will do it again. The one thing it did teach me was that I am the kind of person who needs to have daily contact besides the phone.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in a long distance relationship. She moved here and moved in with me. Thats when the shit hit the fan.She had a problem with me going out with all of my friends. She was always included. I ended it.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
wow, guess it depends on the people involved. i'm in one now, have been since December of 2002, and we still are very commited to each other, our key is to not get all pissy with each. She does her thing, i do mine. we take leave every other month and take turns seeing each other....and she's in Nebraska, i'm in North Carolina. But hopefully that changes, i get out of the military in april, i'm moving out there, i need the hell out of NC....sometimes ldr suck( ok, ok, most of the time), but again, depends on the people involved
Old 09-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

WOW ! Im on the verge of entering a LDR.
I met a gyrl from Boston who recently came to Chicago for a convention.
Some background info: We have been freinds for bout 2 years, initally met a freinds wedding in MI, We did keep touch on and off via email and sometimes phone until she visited this time.
We had such a blast hangin out here that Im goin to see her in Boston this time. We both work so flying wont be too bad. Its bout a 2 hr flight.
I think if I like her enough and i see a future ... LDR shouldnt matter.
Age wise im 24 and she is 23.
So we shall see .. im leaving end of next week ..
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
was in one...after my 3 months in Puerto Rico, I'm dating someone else now...for the better
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in one a few years ago, about 3 hour drive... it didn't work out and I would have to be madly in love with the girl to try it again. The only good part is I have not heard/scene a thing from her since we ended it!

But I do sympathize with anyone trying to make it work, its a struggle.