Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Female help : BC pill

Old 11-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Female help : BC pill

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if any of you are on the pill, and if so, what kind do you use?

My doctor gave me a perscription for Yasmin...do any of you use this brand? I have no idea how it's going to be, but she said that it makes cramping less painful during your period.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
I use Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. I haven't heard of Yasmin. Birth control pills differ from one another according to the type and amount of hormones present.

You can always search for info online or talk to your doctor.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I make Boom Boom in

I'm not a chick, but I'm in the legal drug business. Different BC works different for each women (I'm referring to the side effects not the prevention of pregnancy). Yasmin may work for you and make your cramps not so painful or it may not do anything at all for you. You may have to try different brands until you find one that works best for you. There are lots of different brands of BC out there (Lo-Ovral, Yasmin, Orthocyclen, Orthotricyclen, Nordette, the Patch, etc...).
Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I use Ovcon
Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Here are sample formulations from Wikipidea :

Combined Estrogen and Progesterone

* 20 mcg estrogen
+0.1 mg levonorgestrel (Alesse®, Levline®)
+1 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin 1/20®Fe)
* 30 mcg estrogen
+0.15 mg levonorgestrel (Levlen®, Levora®, Nordette®)
+0.3 mg norgestrel (Lo-Ovral®)
+0.15 mg desogestrel (Desogen®, Organon; Ortho-Cept®, Ortho-McNeil)
+1.5 mg norethindrone acetate (Loestrin® 1.5/30)
+3.0 mg drospirenone (Yasmin®)
* 35 mcg estrogen
+0.25 mg norgestimate (Ortho-Cyclen®)
+0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-35®, Warner Chilcott)
+0.5 mg norethindrone (Modicon®, Brevicon®)
+1 mg norethindrone (Ortho-Novum 1/35®, Necon®, Norethin®, Norinyl 1/35®)
+1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/35®, Zovia 1/35E®)
* 50 mcg estrogen
+0.4 mg norethindrone (Ovcon-50®, Warner Chilcott))
+1 mg norethindrone (Necon 1/50®, Norinyl 1/50®, Ortho-Novum 1/50®, Ovcon-50®)
+0.5 mg norgestrel (Ovral®)
+1 mg ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen 1/50®, Zovia 1/50E®)

Progesterone only

* Norethindrone, 0.35 mg daily (Micronor®, Nor-QD®)
* dl-norgestrel, 0.75 mg daily (Ovrette®)
Old 11-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

I use Cyclessa
Old 11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen as well...it's been working out for me for about a year now. I used to be on Loestrin-FE for a few years, which most places have a generic for which is a major plus when it comes to cost. I also used the patch for a few months but had some horrid side effects so I ditched that quick.

I guess it all depends on the individual really. You may have to try out a few brands before you find one that works best for you.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro

I'm not a woman, but my GF is on yasmin, from what she tells me, yasmin makes her cramps less painful (her doc had given her samples of those arthritis medicines that have been pulled altrax and the like for the cramps before the pill), her period lighter, and somewhat shorter. We haven't noticed any decrease in sex drive or lube amount either.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Seasonale all the way-no period for 3 months. I never had cramps or really anything with my period, nor did i gain weight or my boobs get any bigger. I have been on Ortho Tri and Ortho cyclen. I switched off ortho cyclen to Seasonale just because I was doing the same thing with ortho cyclen. It is great though. Stay away from the patch-I have had a couple of friends that have had violent allergic reactions to it. If you have sensitive skin, don't go for that one
Old 11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Pink Domo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using Orthonovum...some weight gain but no cramps. My doctor prescribes this for most women since she says most people don't have problems with orthonovum - and generics are out for this. I haven't really cramped since my teens so I can't say anything about cramp relief.

A few people I know have had some nasty allergic reactions to the patchl.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Go Noles!

ortho tri-cyclen. love it.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:53 AM
I keeps it real

umm, question. For the options that reduce your period to once per season, does that leave you more susceptible to a stank box?

Your period is the body's natural way of cleansing box, so if it only gets cleansed 4 times a year...well, it would seem like a natural candidate for the funk I know you shower daily and whatnot but you can only wash your mouth, not brush your teeth and gargle...if ya know what im sayin

Sorry girls, legit question, i just dont know how to phrase it without sounding stupid guyish..how'd I do
Old 11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Drifting

all your period is doing is shedding the uterine lining to make way for another egg. It has nothing to do with "cleansing". They have proven that it is much healthier for a female to only have 4 periods a year. Its much better to stay level in hormones for 3 months and then have you period, especially if you have a history of ovarian and breast cancer in your family, like i do. Having the ups and downs of hormones with a period is really not necessary anyway-i am beginning to wonder why girls torture themselves with it. Same with girls that are sexually active and not on the pill. The best excuse i have ever heard about why she didn't want to be on the pill was, "then i won't use condoms". This girl was a whore and needed to use condoms because of the chance of getting a sexually transmitted disease.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:22 AM
eve
Burning Brakes

I've been taking Nordette for years and just switched back from taking a break and using the patch.

I had horrible experience with the patch and would not recommend it. I wanted to get on the patch because I kept forgetting to take the pill. However, if I only knew that I would start losing my hair, I would have never done it. I've been seeing dermatologists to get answers and they all tell me that my hormone levels need to stabilize before everything gets back to normal. I guess hair loss is one of the side effects of being on the patch so if you're thinking about trying it out, think again.

As far as Nordette, I have no complaints; it’s been working well for me. I've been using it for a long time and after trying the patch I'm afraid to switch to something else.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Banned

Not everyone can do the seasonale approach. Some people can continue to have light periods for months on end because the uterine lining gets so thick or they have breakthrough spotting.
^^ I should know, I tried that whole go from one birth control pack to the next (to avoid a period one month) since I was going on vacation when I was supposed to have it... and I ended up having my period for an entire month! and it was the most painful period I have ever had in my life. I will never do that again.....

Anyways-- Ortho Tri Cyclen or Trinessa (generic) for me...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
In the bizarro world...

Originally Posted by eve

I had horrible experience with the patch and would not recommend it. I wanted to get on the patch because I kept forgetting to take the pill. However, if I only knew that I would start losing my hair, I would have never done it. I've been seeing dermatologists to get answers and they all tell me that my hormone levels need to stabilize before everything gets back to normal. I guess hair loss is one of the side effects of being on the patch so if you're thinking about trying it out, think again.

This can happen on certain pills as well, so be careful.

I have been on Yasmin in the past, and personally I did not care for it. It is a low dose of hormones, but something did not agree with me. (I felt like my hair was falling out being on this one, and some of my friends experienced the same side effects. Not to mention, the hormones turned me in to a f'ing bitch.)

Right now I'm on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen-LO, and I like it. I experience no cramps and very low side effects on this one.

One thing you have to remember is that you are putting hormones in to your body that were not there to begin with. Different pills can effect your personal body chemistry, so if you feel as if something is not working for you, try another. (I have been on Mircette in the past(Organon is the mfg.), and felt that this is the one pill that worked best for me.) There are tons of different pills out there, all with different types of hormones. (ie norgestimates, estradiol, levonorgestrel, norgestrel, etc..) The different combinations of ingredients may not be right for your body. Don't be afraid to try another if you do not like how the present one is making you feel.

I don't recommend going on the Ortho Evra patch. The FDA recently put a "high risk" warning on this birth control pill. There have been numerous medical cases regarding this pill as well as a death directly linked to this pill. (The girl was in her early twenties.) I honestly foresee this patch being taken off of the market, until the product is re-formulated.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Spunky
Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if any of you are on the pill, and if so, what kind do you use?

My doctor gave me a perscription for Yasmin...do any of you use this brand? I have no idea how it's going to be, but she said that it makes cramping less painful during your period.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
How about advice from a guy?

Ever girl is different so whats right for someone else may not be right for you. Try the Yasmin and if its not working out try something else. Thats the way it goes.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NBP_TSXY
Not everyone can do the seasonale approach. Some people can continue to have light periods for months on end because the uterine lining gets so thick or they have breakthrough spotting.
^^ I should know, I tried that whole go from one birth control pack to the next (to avoid a period one month) since I was going on vacation when I was supposed to have it... and I ended up having my period for an entire month! and it was the most painful period I have ever had in my life. I will never do that again.....

Anyways-- Ortho Tri Cyclen or Trinessa (generic) for me...

it depends with what pill you did it with. If you did it with Ortho-Tri, that is a common experience. You can't skip periods with that pill-it has varying hormone levels, with the hormones dropping off before your period. You have to do it with a pill, like ortho cyclen or seasonale, that has the same amount of hormones through the month. One of my best friends ended up in the emergency room because of the patch-she was violently throwing up, a rash everywhere-30 miinutes after the patch was removed, she was fine. The best thing is to talk to you OB/GYN and they can recommend the best one for you. has anyone tried the Nuva-Ring?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

my girl got on Ortho Tri-cyclen and it has been alot better then before when she didn't have it she gets no cramps, her boobs got bigger, u know the day your gonna have your period and its alot less stressfull because of that. she does get really moody though, she will just get upset some times so she takes b vitamins, she complains that her hair got thinner because of it. just letting you guys know, me and my girl are pretty open with this type stuff so she tells me alot.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't have complaints against Ortho Tri-cyclen as well. No cramps nor breakouts here. Menstrual flow is less heavy.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm not on the pill, can you believe that. I can't take the kinds with estrogen in them, because they give me migraines, and the progestin-only kinds make me gain weight, cramp horribly, my periods got all wacked out (2 weeks of off time one month, 6 weeks the next, etc), and I became a super duper PMS bitch. I've been off the progestin pill for about 6 months now, and my PMS is getting worse though, so I think I need SOMETHING, but I dunno what to do.

I'll wait and talk to my GP when I go back to California; she knows my history better than my doctor here. *sigh*
Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Ortho tri-cyclen. I have been on it for almost 2 years, and its been perfect- No cramps, no weight gain, and no break-outs at all. But it definitley depends on the person. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

i use the PullOut
Old 11-17-2005, 12:16 PM
8th Gear

I've been on Yasmin for about a year and have no complaints. I use to be on ortho-tricyclen-I was on it for about 8 years. It's a tri-phasic pill meaning there's 3 different types of estrogen levels throughout the month. I would get hot flashes and I never knew why. I got a new doctor and she switched me to Yasmin because its mono phasic where there is only 2 different hormones in it so its not as hard on your body. I haven't had a hot flash in over a year since I've been on it and I use to get them all the time. Definently affected me differently-non of my other girlfriends would get hot flashes but I sure did.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Instructor

thanks for all the help everyone (ladies and gentlemen). I haven't started yet since my doctor told me to wait till after my period. I'm a bit freaked out though because she doesn't know any of my history and I have weird hormonal levels. My friend also told me that her friend wanted to get on the pill but, since she has a chemical imbalance, her doctor wouldn't perscribe her any, so she went to another doctor when she went off to University (which is exactly what I'm doing) and she had a stroke at 19.

I also CAN'T show any side effects from the pill, cause of my parents.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Spunky
thanks for all the help everyone (ladies and gentlemen). I haven't started yet since my doctor told me to wait till after my period. I'm a bit freaked out though because she doesn't know any of my history and I have weird hormonal levels. My friend also told me that her friend wanted to get on the pill but, since she has a chemical imbalance, her doctor wouldn't perscribe her any, so she went to another doctor when she went off to University (which is exactly what I'm doing) and she had a stroke at 19.

I also CAN'T show any side effects from the pill, cause of my parents.
Oh, you won't really have any visible side effects. For most women, the pill never does anything bad for them; it reduces the length and intensity of your periods, it makes your cramps bearable, it regulates you, etc. Basically the pill regulates the hormones in your body, so if you're out of whack without the pill, it will most likely put you on track.

I can't think of any sort of side effect that a parent would notice; weight gain can be attributed to the Freshman 15. As long as you don't smoke, it's highly unlikely that you'll have a stroke from the Pill... your friend that had a stroke probably had some other underlying issue that the pill exacerbated.

It's so widely used for a reason... it's beneficial more than not.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Go Noles!

Originally Posted by Caliadria
I'm not on the pill, can you believe that. I can't take the kinds with estrogen in them, because they give me migraines, and the progestin-only kinds make me gain weight, cramp horribly, my periods got all wacked out (2 weeks of off time one month, 6 weeks the next, etc), and I became a super duper PMS bitch. I've been off the progestin pill for about 6 months now, and my PMS is getting worse though, so I think I need SOMETHING, but I dunno what to do.

I'll wait and talk to my GP when I go back to California; she knows my history better than my doctor here. *sigh*
have you considered the nuvo ring? that might be a good alternative. i don't know if there is estrogen or not in it though...
Old 11-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Go Noles!

PS to spunky.. if you can avoid it, DON'T go to university health centers. they suck. every time i've been to ours, they've misdiagnosed me or not even at all. And the lady tried to tell me i was pregnant or had an STD. When i had a sinus infection, the doctor told me i probably had mono.. but she didn't know "for sure". I'd search for a good doctor in your area that takes your insurance and just tell your mom you either were due for a checkup or had a UTI or something..

When you're getting into something as tricky as birth control and synthetic hormones, don't just go to some random general doctor, i'd go to a specialist who really has the training to properly prescribe you something.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinisimo
i use the PullOut
Old 11-17-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
this thread makes me want to and
Old 11-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by babimeMLM
I've been on Yasmin for about a year and have no complaints. I use to be on ortho-tricyclen-I was on it for about 8 years. It's a tri-phasic pill meaning there's 3 different types of estrogen levels throughout the month. I would get hot flashes and I never knew why. I got a new doctor and she switched me to Yasmin because its mono phasic where there is only 2 different hormones in it so its not as hard on your body. I haven't had a hot flash in over a year since I've been on it and I use to get them all the time. Definently affected me differently-non of my other girlfriends would get hot flashes but I sure did.

I would definitely get hot flashes too! I wonder if it was from Ortho-tricyclen
Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Drifting

University health centers suck-they told one of my friends she had gential herpes and tested her. When she got back she was hysterical-she showed the "sore" to me-it was an ingrown hair. Of course, the STD test was negative. caused a lot of unecessary drama
Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supermegaglossy
PS to spunky.. if you can avoid it, DON'T go to university health centers. they suck. every time i've been to ours, they've misdiagnosed me or not even at all. And the lady tried to tell me i was pregnant or had an STD. When i had a sinus infection, the doctor told me i probably had mono.. but she didn't know "for sure". I'd search for a good doctor in your area that takes your insurance and just tell your mom you either were due for a checkup or had a UTI or something..

When you're getting into something as tricky as birth control and synthetic hormones, don't just go to some random general doctor, i'd go to a specialist who really has the training to properly prescribe you something.
i did go to the university health centre...she just talked to me and took my blood pressure and asked me if i get heavy periods, if i know when i'm getting it next, and then she gave me three months worth of Yasmin and told me to start on the 27th.

i'm just really really freaked out, and my friends are tellnig me all these stories about what happened to certain friends of theirs after going on it...

Do any of you use Alesse? i know a TON of people on it, but none of you have mentioned it.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

i can't take the pill...family history, i'm a smoker..etc...

so i'm on the shot (depo provera)

haven't had my period for 4 years, don't miss it one bit..

however...the shot has some not good long term effects...plus it does play hell with your emotions and weight gain, but some people can handle it, some can't...
i'm going to get off it soon..
it's just been too long and i'm concerned about osteoporosis
Old 11-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mizouse
this thread makes me want to and
Why would you puke?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
PS to spunky.. if you can avoid it, DON'T go to university health centers. they suck.

I hate to say it ... but the US medical board exams (USMLEs) suck. They rely on the doctor ordering tests ... your average joe-blow GP (aka family doctor) doesn't have the clinical skills to assess a thing. They would rather refer you to a specialist than deal with it themselves (for fear of litigation).

Canada, where Spunky is from -- even though you may call us backwards with socialized medicine -- the Canadian trained GP physician can handle picking a birth control pill. Think about it ... you have a 1 in 800 chance of getting into med school in Canada (ie not that many spots for a lot of applicants -- and that was the last time I checked in '97... it might be worse now). We don't have the $$$ to order every test in the world so the doc has to use their clinical judgement. So docs here have to make due with what little resources we have and they do a pretty good job at managing things at the grassroots level.

At every college health centre I've seen in Ontario, a full exam and a pap smear are a must before they will prescribe it at all.

Anyway Spunky ... Yasmin is new in Canada ... been approved for less than a year. It has anti-androgen activity so theoretically, it helps with acne and you're less likely to be moody before menstruation. The doc might want to keep an eye out on your potassium levels (it has aldosterone-like activity) but it's not a huge issue.

With ANY birth control with estrogen inside, there is a risk for blood clots (aka thromboembolism). Something like 1 : 50,000 chance -- I've seen at least a couple cases a year here in Windsor (any woman < 40yrs old getting a DVT/PE ... birth control pill use is differential diagnosis #1). Luckily, none have been fatal in the last 4 yrs I've been at the hospital.

I'm sure you know a lot of your friends taking it. It's very safe (compared to the huge doses they were getting in the 60s). Evra patches ... I've heard mixed reviews about them (the only BC patch in Canada). They fall off quite easily.

Your first BC -- I would advise going low dose ... Yasmin is OK, Tri-cyclen lo, Marvelon, Alesse ... very commonly prescribed ones. Choice is yours. If you feel more comfortable asking me stuff, PM me.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrea25
i can't take the pill...family history, i'm a smoker..etc...

so i'm on the shot (depo provera)

haven't had my period for 4 years, don't miss it one bit..

however...the shot has some not good long term effects...plus it does play hell with your emotions and weight gain, but some people can handle it, some can't...
i'm going to get off it soon..
it's just been too long and i'm concerned about osteoporosis

Do you randomly take a pregnancy test to make sure you're not knocked up since you don't get your period at all? I'd be scurrrred.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Race Director

my periods have been fucked up ever since I started having them. I only get them twice a year, and they are horrendously painful and sometimes i lose enough blood where i become anemic and sick

talked to the doc about it. she put me on BC to fix it.. but uh.. wtf.. then it gave me a period every month and then the cramps actually got worse and didnt fix the little anemia issue.

every 6 months.. every month.. fuck BC.

now its completely random.. sometimes ill get two of them a month apart.. then ill go 6 months, then itll be 4 months.. its so fucking random I cant even track them. I dont think I could get pregnant if i tried
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 AM
4dr & I like it that way

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
all your period is doing is shedding the uterine lining to make way for another egg. It has nothing to do with "cleansing". They have proven that it is much healthier for a female to only have 4 periods a year. Its much better to stay level in hormones for 3 months and then have you period, especially if you have a history of ovarian and breast cancer in your family, like i do. Having the ups and downs of hormones with a period is really not necessary anyway-i am beginning to wonder why girls torture themselves with it. Same with girls that are sexually active and not on the pill. The best excuse i have ever heard about why she didn't want to be on the pill was, "then i won't use condoms". This girl was a whore and needed to use condoms because of the chance of getting a sexually transmitted disease.
got any links to the studies for that? i remember reading/hearing that somewhere but havent been able to find it again. I've been trying to tell my gf to consider it but she thinks its "too unnatural". a good clinical study would be nice to see
Old 11-19-2005, 05:15 AM
4dr & I like it that way

reminds me of my school, I cut my hand open while working on campus one day when I was a freshmen, so I thought no big deal, I'll just warp it up in some paper towels and go over to student health. well when I got there, they actually told me to LEAVE and goto the on campus hospital, while I had my hand still bleeding in soaked through paper towels. theres actually 3 hospitals on my campus, a reseach hospital, a VA hospital, and then the real hospital with an ER. being a freshmen, i didnt have a clue where to go, so first place I ended up at was the research hospital. I wandered the corridors for about 20mins before realizing i wasnt in the right place (yes still with bleeding hand). i finally found someone who told me the right place to go, it was about a 30-40minute walk from where i was (my campus is HUGE), so i had to go get my car and drive there. to top it all off, i had to wait another 3 hours in the emergency room before i finally got someone to look at my hand. thankfully it had mostly stopped bleeding, but they had to clean out the semi-scab that had formed and put in 8 stiches.

also had another incident where i had a severe allergic reaction to some food i ate, i tried to go to student health for some help, and they were CLOSED because it was the weekend. gotta love school employees

Quick Reply: Female help : BC pill