Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Engagement Ring tips

Old 02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts

On the left

Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
no offense yummy but if that isn't what you went with either, don't keep feeding the OP the same marketing BS that is already out there...

u should have just stuck to your guns above about setting the budget and going from there...

OP - it looks like you also have some time on your side too so that will help you in saving up more money if you need to... does your lady know that you plan on popping the question? or is this a surprise? if she does know, does she want to be involved in the selection???

for what you already have saved up, you should be able to get a really decent size ring with really good specs... at .8-.9 CT with Very Good Clarity and decent color should easily be in your price range since it was my same situation last june... i posted pics of the ring up here somewhere...

i also think sasha has already given you some good links...

best of luck...

EDIT:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=53

here are some pics... i paid just a bit higher than what your price range currently is... but like i said, you have time on your side to save up if needed...
She already knows that eventually I will be making a move. Over the course of a month, I quietly assembled all of the details of what she is looking for.

Right now, she has been transferred overseas for work. I am going to visit her in April. She will be visiting me in Nov or Dec (why I need to buy around then).

I currently haven't been saving up money for this. Instead, I have been dumping nearly 100% of my discretionary into paying off my student loans. I expect to finish that around Sept or Oct.

I don't usually buy things on credit, but I probably will have to with the ring due to the timing. Some of my credit cards have 0% for a year so I might take advantage of that.

Your ring is really nice. She likes either the round solitaire or the three ring setup (one big center one, and two medium sized ones on either side).
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
She's not big
Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Whiskers
She's not big
I only meant your post was inspiring because of the deepness.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by wackjum
Oh.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deepness? whiskers?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
I'll be honest. I underbought and my wife would not wear it. She wore her grandmothers ring which was significantly larger.

My life sucks.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by Anachostic
I'll be honest. I underbought and my wife would not wear it. She wore her grandmothers ring which was significantly larger.

FML.
fixed.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

There's no used ring depository is there?

Not that I'd look at them or anything... Just wondering... where all of those divorce rings go... And for what price
Old 02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

Not that I'd look at them or anything... Just wondering... where all of those divorce rings go... And for what price
That's a pawn shop. I don't think it's a bad idea, but you have to know your stuff. You're not dealing with experienced jewelers there.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My life sucks.
Since you shared that much, mind sharing more details? Like approximately how much you spent or how much bigger she thought she deserved?

You can also find estate jewelery at local jewelery stores, but they are usually older, outdated styles. But the stones may be good.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by moeronn
Since you shared that much, mind sharing more details? Like approximately how much you spent or how much bigger she thought she deserved?

You can also find estate jewelery at local jewelery stores, but they are usually older, outdated styles. But the stones may be good.
Let's just say I was very naive about the whole process. I spent $1k, but I should have spent at least $6k. The ring she used to wear (she lost it - how's that for karma) was probably about $15k. I wasn't willing to go into debt for it and my savings weren't that great. We were rushing to move within a month from PA to FL and had significant moving expenses.

I'm a pretty practical person and I shopped quite a few places. I made sure to get a certified stone in the setting she wanted. I just didn't factor in the size factor. I could pretty much tell that she was embarassed about the ring when talking to her friends because she always stressed that it was a certified diamond. An engagement ring is like a girl's penis. When they whip it out, it better shut everyone up.

So again, I fucked up.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM

dude. it's "fuck my life" not "i fucked up"
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
Let's just say I was very naive about the whole process. I spent $1k, but I should have spent at least $6k. The ring she used to wear (she lost it - how's that for karma) was probably about $15k. I wasn't willing to go into debt for it and my savings weren't that great. We were rushing to move within a month from PA to FL and had significant moving expenses.

I'm a pretty practical person and I shopped quite a few places. I made sure to get a certified stone in the setting she wanted. I just didn't factor in the size factor. I could pretty much tell that she was embarassed about the ring when talking to her friends because she always stressed that it was a certified diamond. An engagement ring is like a girl's penis. When they whip it out, it better shut everyone up.

So again, I fucked up.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

We are both attorneys. With the crowd we hang out with, I'd have to spend 20k just to play the game.

I can't even imagine an e-peen big enough to dominate that crowd. Much less anything grounded in reality.

Last edited by wackjum; 02-20-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I haven't read the other responses yet, but my first suggestion would be to do a search on this topic. There have been a handful of threads asking these same questions...they should be helpful.

My personal opinion would be to pay close attention to the cut of the stone and less attention of its size. One example I always give: I know someone who inherited one of South America's largest diamond, which she put in a setting and wears as a ring. The stone itself is huge, but I don't envy her for having it because it's just plain, boring, and there. It really doesn't do anything for me but look big - it doesn't look interesting, it doesn't sparkle, it doesn't catch your eye...so pay attention to brilliance and a great cut.

A well-designed setting is also important, as it can help determine ho much light hits/passes through the stone, which in turn determines how the stone looks and sparkles. She will have probably given you some ideas on which settings she likes....

Spend what you feel comfortable with. There's no set number, but remember with a wedding, marriage, home ownership, and eventually a family...there's plenty of things to spend money on in the future. Design something you think she will love and something you will feel proud of and enjoy giving her too. Know that deep down, regardless of what you give her, she will just be appreciative of the fact that you took so much time, effort, and thought to create something "just right" for her.

You can also consider shopping for a stone separately from a diamond wholesaler. That will ensure you get just the stone you want for the price you want, without having to compromise on the setting or other design aspects if you buy a ring that is ready-made....you'd have to find a jeweler you could trust to put the stone into a setting for you though.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Thanks SS.

I did try searching, but nothing came up. (I used Google, which I think is not mapping AZ accurately)

I just did a search with AZ's engine and I'll go through those threads too.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Other quick tips:

Don't buy from a retailer at the mall -- they have massive mark-ups on what is already a market with high, inflated prices.

Consider using a stronger material for the prongs that hold the diamond...after all, it's where you're spending just about all of your money - you don't want it falling out.

Tiffanys is just a name. So is DeBeers. You'll pay more for them.

If buying a conflict-free diamond is important to you, consider buying a Canadian diamond.

Shop around and check out some diamonds in person even if you end up wanting to buy online. This will give you an idea of what the different categories actually mean (even though each stone is unique).

Listen to the cues and hints your GF has told you about what she would prefer.

Also remember that if she has small, dainty hands, a slightly smaller stone might still look pretty significant and proportional on her finger. Some women also prefer a smaller stone because it doesn't get in the way, while other women don't care what you get them as long as it's BIG.

Slight increases and decreases in carat weight aren't noticeable.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, bigger isnt always better. I would not want a ring that got in the way, or that I was afraid to wear out in public because it was so big and I didnt want to get mugged. It should be a symbol of your commitment, not a symbol of your income.
And when it comes to clarity and color, remember that sometimes it depends on the cut. I used to want an Asscher cut, but because of the way it is cut, you can see pretty much everything. Now I think I would rather have a round, it's more classic. But hey, I would just be happy to get a ring, period.
If she is worthy, she will love whatever you get her.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
dude. it's "fuck my life" not "i fucked up"
I think I'm old enough to choose the terminology in which I denigrate myself.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM

fair enough.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
An engagement ring is like a girl's penis. When they whip it out, it better shut everyone up.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Pink things in...

OP, don't forget about the wedding band and that it costs money too! Of course, not as much as the engagement ring, but leave yourself some room for later or plan on saving a little more [depending on how long your engagement will be].

Otherwise I think all the advice given has been great and helpful!

Hehe, go figure - bluenile banner ad!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pinky_ttc
OP, don't forget about the wedding band and that it costs money too! Of course, not as much as the engagement ring, but leave yourself some room for later or plan on saving a little more [depending on how long your engagement will be].

Otherwise I think all the advice given has been great and helpful!

Yes. Thanks. I didn't even know there were two sets of rings until very recently.

There should be a book handed out by the gov. on all of this stuff.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by pinky_ttc
adblock+ FTW...
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
if you use bluenile, you will get a 10% discount if you have a AAA membership

I used www.whiteflash.com no tax and a great rock that the jewelry stores could not touch for double what i paid
Old 02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I know my marriage is still far away.. but damn, it's so complicated!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Well, the rule is 3-4 months salary, right? So, it's all relative dude. My recommendation to you is that, as much as you love her, you don't need to break your back to buy her this ring.

But, IMO $10K is a nice amount and you can probably find something. But, if you want something that meets all of the specs: VVS1, F, 1C, Excellent cut (as an example), be ready to throw in about $15K or above.
FYI - I caught part of "The New Adventures of Old Christine" the other day and the mall jeweler made the 3 months salary comment. All I have to say is eff him!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
^^ you think that engagement ring selection is complicated??? Try wedding planning I actually enjoyed learning about and shopping for rings, wedding planning makes me want to be single again!

As has been said 89463 times already, you have quite a while. So read up, and then read up again...I invested a TON of time into learning all about diamonds, but didnt end up going that route. She fell in love with an oval sapphire with 3 small diamonds in a triangular pattern on each side and it only cost me $3000! I was planning to spend 10k Low maintenance women FTW! The best part is that she glows more looking at that ring than she did with fifteen to twenty thousand dollar rings.

But just take your time and read untill its almost second nature since you have the luxury of time. From there get a good solid idea of what things cost online..as said Blue Nile is a great company, as is Diamond.com.

From there you can start exploring locally too, now you know what you should expect to pay online and depending on your area could end up finding a small local jeweler that will price competitively. And you probably get great service from them.

I ended up getting mine from a small local chain, they have like 5 stores only in the Boston area and I have found them great to deal with, and their prices are competitive

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
lol I'm not the OP. I'm just talking about thinking marriage in overall is complicated, which included ring selection I guess.

Anyways.. props to those who have gone through this headache and living happy family life.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Racer

This is funny, my girls brother is getting engaged this weekend (found out yesterday), he paid 6k for the ring...I was like I wanted to pay 5k but now I have to out do him. I wanted to do it first actually she wanted to but I didn't want to rush it. I wanted to get engaged on my time, plus I have 4k saved up for the ring, I didn't want to deplete my savings nor go into debt for the ring. I also want to buy my harley davidson which is going to run me 18k first! LMAO! I am looking to do this ring stuff in july, pick up my bike in March before she really has a say in it.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
quality over size
Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Not sure what style of actual ring she likes, but I thought I would just throw my in here.

My dad bought the madre a new wedding ring for their 20th anniversary last July, and he got the ring from Tacori. She had actually seen the ring probably 5 or 6 years ago and loved it. He ended up writing it down and followed up on it this past year. They have some nice looking rings. My dad got my mom this one except it has a princess cut (square) diamond instead of a brilliant. It's beautiful in person.

www.tacori.com
Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
quality over size
Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by stic2it
This is funny, my girls brother is getting engaged this weekend (found out yesterday), he paid 6k for the ring...I was like I wanted to pay 5k but now I have to out do him. I wanted to do it first actually she wanted to but I didn't want to rush it. I wanted to get engaged on my time, plus I have 4k saved up for the ring, I didn't want to deplete my savings nor go into debt for the ring. I also want to buy my harley davidson which is going to run me 18k first! LMAO! I am looking to do this ring stuff in july, pick up my bike in March before she really has a say in it.
Stick with your 5k budget. You don't have to outdo your brother. Besides, I don't think your girl would care if her future sister-in-law has a bit more expensive engagement ring.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Yes. Thanks. I didn't even know there were two sets of rings until very recently.

There should be a book handed out by the gov. on all of this stuff.
Same here. I plan on only buying one or the other, so they better fucking deal.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
She fell in love with an oval sapphire with 3 small diamonds in a triangular pattern on each side
Pics?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Racer

My fiance wanted a cut that isn't as common as princess,etc but wanted something high quality. I bought the ring off blue nile and was/still am very happy with my decision. I spent around 5k which was my budget. Everytime someone makes a comment on her ring it really makes you feel proud that you picked it out. The setting I picked out definately makes it look huge. The stone is a little over 1 carat. My advice is to ignore what everyone "told you they spent". The only thing that matters is that you and your girl are happy. GL

Here's a few pics:

Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I would not buy but lease.

LOL!

Good luck with proposal.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Racer

is that a cushion cut?

Quick Reply: Engagement Ring tips