Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Diamond ring or a car?

Old 02-02-2004 | 11:00 AM
Cars are an addiction

Diamond ring or a car?

Hey all. I just want your opinion of wether I should get my GF a car or an engagement ring?

We have been dating for 1 year, but she is the one for me. We already have some joint banking accounts and we basically live together.

She has a beater car to go back and forth from Philly in while in Grad School. But I hate to be seen in it and I would rather see her in a nicer more reliable car.
On the flip side. Her parents are very strict, so we cant live together till we are married. Which is going to be after grad school (1 1/2 years)
So do I get ring for her now (and make her happy) or do I put the 4000 down on her new car? (and make me happy and her content)
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:05 AM
Acurazine OG.

Re: Diamond ring or a car?

Originally posted by CLean
We already have some joint banking accounts and we basically live together.
You done fell off your square...

:shakehd:
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:06 AM
sup

you know you're posting on a car forum....

but seriously, its a tough call. I say get her a cheap ring and a moped. But if you have to choose from the two, and you're sure u wanna marry this girl, go for the ring. The car can come later, and you can both pitch in for it
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:11 AM
Team Owner

If you're sure she's the one get the ring. If you buy her a car that could set a bad precedent for future expenditures. Besides, the car is her issue, the ring is yours. And a $4000 ring isn't going to cost thousands more in repairs...
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:17 AM
Cars are an addiction

True that. I am just realy really tired of driving my CL every where we go. Just wish she had a car I could enjoy driving to. Camon my Ex drove a Bimmer. And my new GF drives a *gulp* Corsica...... Yeah. Ya see my point now... lol

Plus i would worry less if she had a more comfortable car drive on the turnpike.
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:36 AM
GEEZER

Ring her if she is a catch.

BTW:
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:43 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

4000 for a ring? And you expect her to marry you? You'd better keep saving up.
Old 02-02-2004 | 12:02 PM
Cars are an addiction

Shit... She just wants a damn ring. I think one of those 100 dollar costume rings would make her happy at this point.
Old 02-02-2004 | 12:10 PM
Acurazine OG.

Shit... She just wants a damn ring. I think one of those 100 dollar costume rings would make her happy at this point.
True, My fiance would have been happy with a .25 cent machine ring... of course, me being a baller and all I got her a 1.33 solitaire.... congrats though, I hope everything works out for you!
Old 02-02-2004 | 12:49 PM

Don't get married. Wait awhile. I mean, sure you said she's the one for you and all, but damn dude, that's just fucking retarded to have bank accounts and shit.

Step back from it for awhile and think about it.

You guys get blinded too easily by the pussy!
Old 02-02-2004 | 12:49 PM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Good for you! You got yourself a keeper if she won't care about the ring. Go for it.
Old 02-02-2004 | 01:07 PM
go like hell

Re: Diamond ring or a car?

Hey all. I just want your opinion of wether I should get my GF a car or an engagement ring?

We have been dating for 1 year, but she is the one for me. We already have some joint banking accounts and we basically live together.

She has a beater car to go back and forth from Philly in while in Grad School. But I hate to be seen in it and I would rather see her in a nicer more reliable car.
On the flip side. Her parents are very strict, so we cant live together till we are married. Which is going to be after grad school (1 1/2 years)
So do I get ring for her now (and make her happy) or do I put the 4000 down on her new car? (and make me happy and her content)
okay I was in the same spot as you were about a year ago now . Just turned 21. I was in love(at the time) with my ex fiancee. anyhow my. we went together for about a year. Mom didn't want us to get engaged yet. so she said look If you don't get engauged you can take your money and your car(which is a 94 accord EX 4 door with at the time 200,000 on her) and get either a new CL type S or a Tacoma 4 door or anything(within reason) as long as you don't get engaged I'll co-sign. so i thought about it. but the thing i decided was #1. My car ran fine so why trade it.
#2. my car paid off so if my job went to hell or something happened really all i had to pay for is gas and insurance.
#3. here was the biggie INSURANCE. being young and unmarried. Insurance(i have no points knock on wood) for a Tacoma 4 door 4x4 V-6 or CL-S or TL-S would beat me silly.
#4. I was also concerned about cost of books at school because I have a lot "little courses" to take yet so the more "little courses" you take the more your books cost.
so i went and got my ex fiancee a 4 grand ring. then we broke up in September of 03. I got it now in my safety deposit box.(because it's a hell of a lot safer in there than in my house). so the next time i get engaged I'll just "recycle" the ring I know everyone says it's bad luck. but personally I think it's crap
Old 02-02-2004 | 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Diamond ring or a car?

Originally posted by ChrisKelly5

My advice to you:

1) Get those bank accounts un-jointed if possible. That is a BAD FUCKING IDEA, even if you're married. And you aren't - you've only been dating for a year.

2) Don't buy her anything until you're married.

3) Don't propose to her for another year or two. Dating for one year is not enough time, IMO.

Women these days are money grubbing whores, or at least most of them are. I'm not saying your girlfriend is - she could be awesome, i don't konw. But i suggest playing it safe.
Old 02-02-2004 | 01:27 PM
Blackbird baby..

Old 02-02-2004 | 01:30 PM
go like hell

Re: Re: Re: Diamond ring or a car?

Originally posted by ABreece

My advice to you:

1) Get those bank accounts un-jointed if possible. That is a BAD FUCKING IDEA, even if you're married. And you aren't - you've only been dating for a year.

2) Don't buy her anything until you're married.

3) Don't propose to her for another year or two. Dating for one year is not enough time, IMO.

Women these days are money grubbing whores, or at least most of them are. I'm not saying your girlfriend is - she could be awesome, i don't konw. But i suggest playing it safe.
I agree with him it's sad but true. I had to learn the hard way . but I would buy her anything major like a car because everything might seem cool now but girls can change their mind or cheat on you then you'll never see your 4 grand again or you'll have to take her to court(which makes the feelings even worst about her) .I about had to take my ex fiancee to court to get my engagement ring and wedding band band back. I flat out said you got a choice you can #1. Pay me 4 grand for the wedding band and engagement ring(because that's what i paid for it and she still had them)(i had the receipt and it said paid in full with my name on it). #2. give me the rings #3. I'll take your @ss to court and I'll get them that way. so she finally gave them to me.

but by the way on what he said only after a year. I agree about that too. I'd wait awhile longer. I know a year seems like forever when your young but now almost 22 and my g/f we've been talking about getting serious(because I graduate in about a year from college) I was asking her what do you want to do as far housing and stuff like that. she said to be honest I don't wanna get married for another 4.5 or 5 years. She said I'm not grown up yet and your not grown up enough.(she's 20 and I'll be 22 in a month) she said there's nothing wrong not being the way you are it's natural but I don't wanna be like my mom who got married young and never got to live out her "wild days" . she said I still love you to death but just I'm not ready yet. Which i respect and if she doesn't wanna get married yet that's fine because I hate being rushed on major issues like buying a car or something like that. I like to sit back look at the situation and evulate the scene then make my decision. so if she wants time i'll give it to her. Plus I can save up enough money to go into the dealership for my next car and flop down cash as where if i got married right away I would have taken out a loan. I always like to flop down cash because once you give them the check your "home free" yes you gotta save forever but as unstable as the job market is if the car paid off i feel better.
Old 02-02-2004 | 02:01 PM
Masshole

I'm still holding onto the square with my fingers, though.
Old 02-02-2004 | 02:26 PM
GEEZER

My wife and I have had joint banking since our 6th month ogf dating when we started shacking up. Never ONCE a problem for me...and if it works and is convieniant for you, why change. We are coming up on 7 years married...and still never a problem.

Again, if she is a keeper and you love her..get her the ring.
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:13 PM
Blackbird baby..

Hey, where's ASHBURNER?! He'd be a good person to get advice like this from!

(jk Ash)

Ash - Hero to all Men who wear the Ring!
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

ring... i'd never buy a chick a car unless she was my wife.
i would, however, wait a while longer. no real reason, just wait. i mean, women turn into these obnoxious beings eventually, right?
big deal w the joint bank accounts... just dont make it ur only account.
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:58 PM
Diamonds are forever...

damn, 1 year and she already has you proposing? WTF was I doing wrong all those other times :'(...but seriously...I'd go for the engagement ring rather than the engagement car. My X's friend did that engagement car thing and then they ran into the problem of her not wanting to get rid of the car because it had sentimental value...and since you don't want to be seen/ride etc in a POS (seems that way from your other post), I wouldn't think you'd want to keep that new car you are getting for very long. You could put the $4000 down on a nice ring and make her happy I'm with always dirty, the car is her issue, the ring is yours.
Old 02-02-2004 | 05:24 PM
registered pw

Old 02-02-2004 | 05:32 PM
registered pw

My advice to you:

been with mine for 8 years and everything is cool, lived with for over 3

maybe get her a small promisary ring 1/4 carat or smaller. something that will show her u r serious, but want to wait.
some women don't want to be engaged for more than 1 year.

if you get married b/f she graduated(if thats what u were thinking) financial aid would be less for her if she is taking out loans. i can't remember if there is financial aid for grad school
Old 02-02-2004 | 06:43 PM
werd

is it just me or do engagement rings just feel like a huge waste of money?

i'd rather put the 4 G's down on a car in my name she can drive
Old 02-02-2004 | 06:54 PM
Acurazine OG.

Originally posted by Bulldog01

I'm still holding onto the square with my fingers, though.

I feel ya' ...

PS - I gotta show you some pics of my dog, he just turned 4 months on the 28th...
Old 02-02-2004 | 08:14 PM
Masshole

Re: Re: Re: Re: Diamond ring or a car?

I feel ya' ...

PS - I gotta show you some pics of my dog, he just turned 4 months on the 28th...
Hell, yeah...I'd love to see pics!!

bulldogcl@comcast.net
Old 02-02-2004 | 09:53 PM
Drifting

if you know shes the one then get her a ring....but i would wait a little longer. Once you get married then maybe you can get her a better ride.
Old 02-03-2004 | 06:19 AM
Banned

Damn you guys are talking like 4000 for a freakin ring.....is that how much those things cost, holy shit!
Old 02-03-2004 | 07:29 AM
Diamonds are forever...

^^^usually more
Old 02-03-2004 | 07:45 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by Batin Dean
4000 for a ring? And you expect her to marry you? You'd better keep saving up.
my ring wasnt near that expensive and im marrying him. she should be happy with a 4k ring. if she expects more shes a gold digger. (geisha i understand your family/culture, so dont think im aiming this at you)

oh and if you buy her the car now, youll still have to buy her the ring later if you want to marry her..
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:17 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by GeishaGirl
^^^usually more
Good Quality Diamonds cost Good Money. My wifes was close to 10k
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:20 AM
sup

thats a lot of fucking money for one ring. that shit is way too expensive
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:52 AM
it tastes like burning

ring > car
Old 02-03-2004 | 04:29 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally posted by SilviaGTO
(geisha i understand your family/culture, so dont think im aiming this at you)

oh and if you buy her the car now, youll still have to buy her the ring later if you want to marry her..

hehe I know Rachael We've had this discussion Darn rings keep coming up on this forum and never one for me! hahaha:'(

And , I agree about the needing to buy the ring later anyway lol good point
Old 02-03-2004 | 06:18 PM
Acurazine OG.

I just paid over 6G's for my girls ring...
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Shit, I always planned in teh back of my mind not to getmarried while in college, now I know why...I'd have to miss 2 semesters even at $4k (I loooove cheap Utah resident rates) :oot:
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:02 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by 1killercls
My wife and I have had joint banking since our 6th month ogf dating when we started shacking up. Never ONCE a problem for me...and if it works and is convieniant for you, why change. We are coming up on 7 years married...and still never a problem.

Again, if she is a keeper and you love her..get her the ring.
i had a joint account with a girl i lived with for awhile...

we ended up breaking up sometime after... she declared bankruptcy sometime after that.

you have no idea how much that joint account can fuck you till it does.

even after that account is `closed` it takes alot more to break the link....

ive had problems such as inaccuracys on my credit, money being with drawn from OTHER accounts... moneys withheld... etc....

all from that one joint checking account... and her declaring bankruptcy.

stupid choice by me. oh well i was young...
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:03 AM
The Creator

btw was all resolved eventually. but took some footwork....

wouldnt of been a problem in the first place if i just held off on that till i was married........

Old 02-04-2004 | 05:55 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

RING.. easier to get back or lose if things go bad.. besides shed cherish the ring and probably abuse the car...
Old 02-05-2004 | 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Why would you want a joint account anyways? Is there any benefit to it?
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:33 PM
Race Director

Why would you want a joint account anyways? Is there any benefit to it?
the bank i was at was really gay, and wouldnt let him deposit money in my account without him being on it.. so i put him on it..

i eventually closed it. i didnt notice any gain/ no gain from having him on my account.

Quick Reply: Diamond ring or a car?