Traditional Dish (Asian Fajita)

Old 09-24-2003, 07:46 PM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traditional Dish (Asian Fajita)

Vietnamese Fajita with GRILLED SWEET PORK:

The meat is difficult to reproduce...unless you are familiar with vietnamese cuisine, you may not get the way it looks here...hardest is the "pounding" of the meat...

Ingredients:

Garnishes:
========
(1) whole Green Leaf Lettuce
(1lb) of chinese bean sprouts
(1) small bag of FRESH BASIL LEAVES
(1) ply of vietnamese rice noodle (thin vermicelli)
(1) half of english cucumber
(4) stalks of spring onion
(1) bag or more of rice paper (banh trang)

the PORK MEAT:
===========
(2) lbs of lean pork meat (pork butt or similar but with some FAT content)
(1) raw bag of peanuts (asian peanuts to ROAST AND GROUND)
*SALT/SUGAR (mix sugar with water and boil till thick)
*2 cloves of small garlic and or garlic powder
*1 small 1/4 of an ONION (white)
*small dashes of pepper (black fresh or white)

The Sauce:
=========
Peanut butter
Water
*Tapioca starch (asian thickener)

Steps:

The garnish:
As is like above picture...wash all veggies first..then set to the side...used later when you roll your ingredients

The pork meat:

The meat:
is the hardest part...you must take your pork meat raw and ground it up...like a hamburger patty..ground up pork meat. Then you take your garlic and onion MINCED (about 2 cloves of garlic and about 1/4 onion minced together)..and toss into meat. The oil in the pork will bind everything together. After you season with SALT AND your sugar syrup is done (prepare by mixing sugar and water and simmer until thick)...dump into mix and mix well by hand. When you have everything mixed, be sure to hand pat the meat...meaning take out and pound it a couple times with your palm (sorta like making pizza dough)..this will stiffen up the meat..so it won't be so "loose" when eaten. The sugar syrup amount should be more sugar than water...the meat will be sweet to taste....add just enough to season it so it will taste sweet..NOT TOO SALTY. You may add pepper or some spices if you'd like.

The Sauce
Take some peanut butter (about 1/2 cup) and add about 1/2 cup of water OR LESS and dissolve peanut butter up. Then when you season it to taste (it should be more sweet than salty: do not need to add salt..just sugar is fine)...it should taste sweety...then add about 1 - 2 teaspoon worth of asian thickening agent (tapioca starch). It will thicken WHEN IT COOLS. So don't add that much or else it'll become really gooey.

How to cook meat:
After you have the pork meat all prepared, put on a sheet of metal (cooking sheet/metal tray, whatever that can contain the meat). Take the meat and press flat against your cooking sheet and lay out the meat so it's like a flat rectangular sheet of meat. Preheat oven to about 425F. Bake it for till the surface is a bit brown..SHOULD NOT BE BROWN-BROWN..should be GREY-BROWN. It'll cook quite fast..about 8 minutes...

Then take out a GRILL or what I did was use the GEORGE FOREMANGRILL...take out the flag rectangular sheet of meat..cut into sizes that fit the grill. Grill it until you have the consistency like this:

Take out a small skillet or similar...take out some chopped up spring onions...and dump spring onions into the skillet with about 1/3 oil. Boil until smoking and sizzle up the green onions. When your meat is grilled, dump oil batch on top of meat...to sear in some oil and spring onion fragrance.

That should be it...to roll it, do what is in the pics:

(WET RICE PAPER WITH WARM WATER..one or two sheet depending on your jaw strength..it gets quite chewy)

Take small bit of lettuce, put on bottom of rice papar on plate. Layer with bean sprouts, basil leaves and hydrated rice noodle. put meat on top and roll like below:

Your roll should look like below

MANY MANY VIETNAMESE DISHES USE BANH TRANG (RICE PAPER). THERE IS A 7 COURSE *BEEF* (WHICH CONSTIST OF 7 WAYS TO BBQ BEEF) AND YOU USE RICE PAPER TO FAJITA EVERYTHING UP. YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS PORK MEAT AND MAKE A DRY RICE NOODLE DISH ALSO...THE POSSIBILITY OF VIETNAMESE COMBINATIONS ARE ENDLESS. This is just one of the examples...pork is better in this case...

Hope my recipe is clear...it's quite difficult..but some of you suggested the recipe be posted anyway...so here it is!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:46 PM
East Coast Boost.!

nice, looks good.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:27 PM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

its all looks wonderful. i'll let you know how it works out.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Banned

wow that looks amazing, i hate being a hungry college kid.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:34 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn...i miss vietanese food

I made some fresh spring rolls a while back...same deal except w/ shrimp and basil leafs...mmmm....