Shun VS Henckels yet another knife post.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shun VS Henckels yet another knife post.

he time has finally come for me to purchase a nice set of knives. After reading countless posts I am still very unsure. The two Sets I am interested in are as follows.

Shun Classic 7-Piece Cutlery Set

3 1/2” paring knife
6” utility knife, 9” bread knife
8” hollow-ground chef’s knife
kitchen shears
sharpening steel and a bamboo Block

Henckels Twin Cuisine 10-Piece Knife Set

4" paring
5" serrated utility
6" utility/sandwich
7" hollow-ground santoku
8" chef’s
8" carving
8" bread knives plus
kitchen shears
9" sharpening steel and a beech wood block with slots for 10 items.

I am going to make the purchase at williams sonoma while I know they are overpriced compared to online retailers I am using some of my American Express reward points for a giftcard to cover the price of the set.

I already went and tried all the knives there and only the Shun's and Henckels listed above did I find comfortable. I did prefer the weight of the Henckels being 6'2" and about 250 the extra weight felt nice. But if the blades on the shun knives are far superior then I am sure I could get used to the lighter blade. I guess my biggest thing is I dont really find alot of good things being said about henckels online and while I understand that the most vocal group of owners are usually the dissatisfied ones. It would still be nice to hear from any who use and are happy with there henckels.

Thank you very much for any help and information.

After doing a little more research I may stray from buying a set and just buy the pieces individually to suit my needs. Either way It will be one of these two lines of knives
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally last year bought a Henckels Four Star 8" chef knife and I think its fantastic. Very comfortable, sharp as hell, and after a year its stayed sharp. I just run it across the steel everytime I use it.

I looked at the Shun's also. While very beautiful with the Damascus steel, I didnt find them as comfortable as the Henckels.

I really think any blade can be made sharp. Then for me, its just a matter of comfort and longevity of sharpness. One of my first jobs was a knife store called Merlos Cutlery in San Diego, and we sold Henckels in that store all the time. Wusthof was a close second...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
hold them both.....then decide
Old 04-19-2007, 11:23 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by CLpower
hold them both.....then decide

Of the two I would go Shun, but everyone is looking for something different.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
if you only knew...

I like the Wustof classic, but like someone else mentioned, that's just my opinion. I would try both and see which feel better in your hand. After all, you will be the one using them, and good knives will last a very long time!

ps- Williams Sonoma at the Galleria? I love that place (and right next to Godiva, too!).
Old 04-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Yep that is where I go. They are about to do a big remodel at that location in the next year. They are going to get rid of most of there stock room and use it as floor space. But if you really want to wander the new store they are about to open at the Falls in Miami is going to be HUGE.

Another knife I am now interested in are the Wustof Ikon series the only problem with them is that they are so new that there are no reviews or information on them.

As for the Shuns the only problem I have is I am left handed and have no way of handling the left handed model before buying since they are a special order.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:57 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
just got the wife this one

Old 04-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I have a few Shuns, & they are really beautifully made, but I was going to mention that the asymmetrical handles could pose a problem if not everyone in your household uses the same hand to cut with, but you kind of beat me to it. If you don't think you're the only one who would be using them (even in several years) I'd probably stay away from them. Aside from that, I've only had them since December, but they're really impressive so far.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah I am the only one who will be using them. If by some amazing miracle my GF decides to cook. I have a few of my current Wustof's that she can use or hell I will be so amazed I will run out and buy her any set she wants.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 PM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am replacing my Henck's with Shuns as we speak....

MUCH better knife and I love the D shaped handles.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I wish I could try out some left handed Shuns.....
Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Drifting

I've had Henkels since my first apartment away from parents. I started buying as I could afford them......They are great!! I love them. I've never tried a Ceramic knife, but Ming Tsai seems to love them. Problem is they can't be sharpened at home. With knives...it's a personal thing....every chef has their favorites....so try them all....then buy what you like and can afford....good ones aren't cheap.