Potluck - what's easy?

Old 12-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Potluck - what's easy?

We had a pot luck lunch at work last week. I'm not much of a cook so I just bought a container of potato salad at Vons. Many people made food at home and it looked like they spent quite a bit of time cooking which made me feel like I took the easy way out by just buying my item. So, next potluck I want to bring something I made at home. I need recipes for easy potluck items (serving around 12 people). Any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
All the good/easy items were already gone when I signed up for when we had our pot luck yesterday so I chose $$.

I didn't get my money's worth though.

Pizza, wings, lasagna, wraps....
Old 12-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
We had a pot luck lunch at work last week. I'm not much of a cook so I just bought a container of potato salad at Vons. Many people made food at home and it looked like they spent quite a bit of time cooking which made me feel like I took the easy way out by just buying my item. So, next potluck I want to bring something I made at home. I need recipes for easy potluck items (serving around 12 people). Any suggestions?
App, entree, side or dessert?

Side or app
Proscuitto wrapped melon

Entree
Pulled Pork (Literally put pork butt or shoulder in a crockpot for 8 hours with some seasoning and you should be golden)

Dessert
Choc dipped strawberries on a bed of fruit
Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pmptx
App, entree, side or dessert?
any of the above
Originally Posted by pmptx
Side or app
Proscuitto wrapped melon

Entree
Pulled Pork (Literally put pork butt or shoulder in a crockpot for 8 hours with some seasoning and you should be golden)

Dessert
Choc dipped strawberries on a bed of fruit
Yes, I like these ideas, particularly the proscuitto wrapped molon.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Some really simple ones that people often overlook....but depends on the theme or type of event:

-- A cheese and crackers tray
-- Fruit platter
-- Veggie platter
-- A variety of cookies, brownies, and other desserts placed together as options
-- California rolls
-- Veggie swekers
-- Meat skewers (appetizer size or full size) with sauce/dip
-- Chips and a good homemade salsa
-- Samosas
-- Garden salad or caesar salad
-- Party/finger sandwiches

And if you buy something packaged or in a container, take it out and make it more presentable. If it's not homemade, at least it can look like it!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Some really simple ones that people often overlook....but depends on the theme or type of event:

-- A cheese and crackers tray
-- Fruit platter
-- Veggie platter
-- A variety of cookies, brownies, and other desserts placed together as options
-- California rolls
-- Veggie swekers
-- Meat skewers (appetizer size or full size) with sauce/dip
-- Chips and a good homemade salsa
-- Samosas
-- Garden salad or caesar salad
-- Party/finger sandwiches

And if you buy something packaged or in a container, take it out and make it more presentable. If it's not homemade, at least it can look like it!

I agree with Dan.
Cheese & Crackers Tray, Fruit Platter, and Appetizer Trays for example,

Mini Crabcakes, bite sized
Mini Sandwiches (Egg Salad...etc)
Mini Skewers (Chicken or whatever you want on the skewer)
Old 12-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
I agree with Mrs. Dan Martin.
Cheese & Crackers Tray, Fruit Platter, and Appetizer Trays for example,

Mini Crabcakes, bite sized
Mini Sandwiches (Egg Salad...etc)
Mini Skewers (Chicken or whatever you want on the skewer)
Fixed.

So funny that you were agreeing with him, cuz Dan didn't even post in this thread....

Old 12-17-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Spaghetti (quick) or laxative brownies...
Old 12-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
beef sandwiches FTW
Old 12-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Meatballs... buy some rolls... done.

I like stuff that I can leave in a crockpot. It's easy enough to transport, and reheating is a snap.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Fixed.

So funny that you were agreeing with him, cuz Dan didn't even post in this thread....

Wow. I got

Please don't hurt me hahaha.

I swear the bag on the head does it for me, and I immediately say, hey it's Dan.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
I swear the bag on the head does it for me, and I immediately say, hey it's Dan.
So.....you think he's hot, huh?!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Team Owner

So.....you think he's hot, huh?!

Yep, Dan's huge man hands does it for me.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made crockpot chili for my office potluck. I suggest something like that, because it's super easy to make but it makes the coworkers think you poured blood sweat and tears into its making. Not as ingredients, mind you.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

I know, I know, I really have to get a crockpot. It seems they're quite useful. Our potluck had 2 different meatball dishes, 2 different veggie platters, an assortment of brownies and chips, among others. I didn't think about finger sandwiches, pretty easy to assemble. I suppose brownies-out-of-a-box are pretty easy too.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I really, really push the crock pot, don't I? Sorry, dude... but they're so cheap!!! Just go to Walmart, you can get one for $50, and then you can make some of the most amazing stuff!

I love to cook but I also love to save time, and I love to get a big reward for very little effort, and the crock pot really allows me to get everything I love!

(anything else I can say to make me sound more like a commercial for the Crock Pot Association of America?)
Old 12-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Caliadria
I really, really push the crock pot, don't I? Sorry, dude... but they're so cheap!!! Just go to Walmart, you can get one for $50, and then you can make some of the most amazing stuff!

I love to cook but I also love to save time, and I love to get a big reward for very little effort, and the crock pot really allows me to get everything I love!

(anything else I can say to make me sound more like a commercial for the Crock Pot Association of America?)
Its all good.

I imagine that crock pots come in many shapes/sizes and with varied features. (if they don't then it just shows you how much I know). Any particular model, size, or feature I should make sure I get when I buy one?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Banned

$50 for a crock pot? That must be some supermagical deluxe model.

For Potluck deals I often make 7 payer dip...quite easy and many/most people like it a great deal.

I've seen variations, but I do:

Black Olives
-
Cheese
-
Lettuce
-
Salsa
-
Sour Cream
-
Diced onions
-
Can of refried beans mixed with a packet of taco seasoning
Old 12-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Go to Costco or BJs to pick up a party platter or a big hot dish which you heat up yourself - cost effecient, easy to make and somewhat tasty depending on what it is.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pull_T
$50 for a crock pot? That must be some supermagical deluxe model.

For Potluck deals I often make 7 payer dip...quite easy and many/most people like it a great deal.

I've seen variations, but I do:

Black Olives
-
Cheese
-
Lettuce
-
Salsa
-
Sour Cream
-
Diced onions
-
Can of refried beans mixed with a packet of taco seasoning
You're absolutely right... I went to Walmart.com and looked at their slow cookers, and the most expensive one is $39. Now I really regret my $99 All-Clad stainless steel model. C'est la vie.

Jlukja, things to look for include dual heat settings (i.e. low and high), and if you can find one that has a "keep warm" setting, that's even better. That way you can still cook smaller dishes all day long, although the cooking will stop early and then the crock pot will keep it warm till you get home.

IMO, the bigger, the better. You can make smaller items in a big crock pot, but you can't exactly make big dishes in a small crock pot.

And if you can find one with a glass top, that's really good because that way you can keep an eye on your food if you like, without opening it up and losing all the stored heat.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Caliadria (a.k.a. Domestic Goddess)
Old 12-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlukja
Fucktard.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Just dial 1911

Ok, now for the help

Chilli is an easy thing to make in a crock pot. I just get this chili ingredient bag at the grocery store (it comes in like a brown paper bag, I think in the soup isle). Chop up an onion, throw in the beef and let it cook all day. If you have some time, you can brown the beef first, but the slow cooker takes care of cooking it fully.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joerockt
Fucktard.

stupid feelings
Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Just dial 1911

IMO, the bigger, the better. You can make smaller items in a big crock pot, but you can't exactly make big dishes in a small crock pot.
Yup, I can fit a whole chicken in mine and then some. Mine is made by Rival. I think it was a wedding gift, and its seen plenty of use.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joerockt
Ok, now for the help

Chilli is an easy thing to make in a crock pot. I just get this chili ingredient bag at the grocery store (it comes in like a brown paper bag, I think in the soup isle). Chop up an onion, throw in the beef and let it cook all day. If you have some time, you can brown the beef first, but the slow cooker takes care of cooking it fully.

I think I know what you're talking about. Is it the Carroll Shelby chili seasoning? I love that stuff! I can pretend like I'm a kit car driving chili making machine when i use it!

BTW here's a little tip for those of us who make chili with prepared seasonings... I discovered that if you mix one package of chili seasoning with one package of TACO seasoning, it gives my chili that extra kick in the balls that it so desperately needs.

But Joerockt, you brown your beef before you put it in the crock pot, right? Raw ground beef isn't good for the crock pot because it cooks so slowly; there's a good amount of time where the meat isn't cool enough or warm enough to kill germs. I usually brown my beef WITH my onions; the flavors meld better, I think.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Just dial 1911

I think I know what you're talking about. Is it the Carroll Shelby chili seasoning? I love that stuff! I can pretend like I'm a kit car driving chili making machine when i use it!

BTW here's a little tip for those of us who make chili with prepared seasonings... I discovered that if you mix one package of chili seasoning with one package of TACO seasoning, it gives my chili that extra kick in the balls that it so desperately needs.

But Joerockt, you brown your beef before you put it in the crock pot, right? Raw ground beef isn't good for the crock pot because it cooks so slowly; there's a good amount of time where the meat isn't cool enough or warm enough to kill germs. I usually brown my beef WITH my onions; the flavors meld better, I think.
Yea, thats it! I like the bag of masa they give you for it. Gives it that "corny" taste lol.

I usually do brown it with a little garlic salt and cayenne, but I've done it before by just throwing everything in the pot and I've never had a problem It gets warm enough to cook a chicken all the way through, should be fine with beef I guess. But yea, I dont do it on a regular basis at all.