Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Sony: PSP News and Discussion Thread **New Version Revealed (page 11)**

Old 07-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got one as a birthday gift, wow its awesome!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:57 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thre is now a way to run Lumines off your memory stick, whcih is crazy
Old 07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speaking of which, for anyone who has Lumines, is there a different song associated with each skin?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 PM
I Want a GPW 03 S2k

How do I put pictures on a PSP???
Old 07-30-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
connect your psp to your computer via USB or if you hvae firmware 2.00 then you can browse the web and just save them onto your psp
Old 07-30-2005, 02:03 PM
I Want a GPW 03 S2k

yea after i connect it to my computer via usb....where do i drag and put the photos into a folder??? if so which one??? Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
http://theinquirer.net/?article=25077

American PSP firmware update almost ready

And so it goes

By Aaron McKenna: Tuesday 02 August 2005, 11:02

ACCORDING to Sony America, the latest PlayStation Portable firmware update which has been available in Japan for some time now – see here – is to be released in the US as “Firmware Upgrade 2.0” on August 12th.

The update does all the same stuff as the Japanese update with an online browser being the big selling point.

Sony has also clarified that using the Japanese firmware update, which is known to work fine on American PSP’s, will void the system's warranty and US PSP owners are advised to be patient with this in mind.

Once available, the update should be downloadable either through an automatic Wi-Fi update or off Sony’s official US PSP website. The European version of the handheld console will come with Firmware 2.0 installed as standard when it’s released on September 1st. µ
Old 08-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
^^^ Can we revert back if needed?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
^^^ Can we revert back if needed?
dunno...

in any event, glad I have been patient
Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM

better be.. shiet..
Old 08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08...s_6130699.html

Sony hints at PSP upgrades

Streaming movie function, video chat e-mail application, and Digital Rights Management are among the potential features in store for the handheld's future.

Late last month, Sony Computer Entertainment released a firmware update for Japanese PSPs (a US release is scheduled for August 12) that gave the handheld a number of new functions, including a Web browser feature that lets users tap into wireless hot spots to surf the Internet. In the latest issue of Famitsu, SCE software platform development chief Izumi Kawanishi talked about the development of the PSP Web browser and gave some clues as to what could possibly be implemented in future updates for the handheld.

With the addition of a Web browser, PSP owners can now download movies directly from the Internet and watch them on their handheld. Previously, users had to go through the hassle of downloading movie files to their PCs before transferring the data to their Memory Sticks via USB or a memory card adapter.

Kawanishi is thinking of further improving the PSP's movie-viewing experience by adding a function to watch streaming videos. If that happens, users will be able to watch movies on the fly without having to save them on their Memory Sticks. Kawanishi also said that he plans to include Digital Rights Management functions in a future update, which will allow for paid content to be watched on the handheld.

Kawanishi stated that the Web browser function should also benefit future game releases. Since users can bring up the browser during gameplay, publishers may be more inclined to add downloadable content to their games' official sites. For example, a player can pause a game, go to the game's site, download new data, and resume playing the game with new content. Kawanishi also pointed out that the PSP's Wi-Fi capability can simultaneously communicate in infrastructure mode to connect to the Internet, as well as the ad hoc mode to connect with other PSP owners. He hopes that publishers will start to develop games that specifically leverage this new functionality.

Although the new PSP update came with a Web browser, one thing the machine still lacks is an e-mail application. Users can use some Web-based e-mail sites, but Kawanishi revealed that he is currently thinking of a new mail program for the PSP that will let users communicate with one another using both video and voice. "We're currently considering [the implementation of an e-mail system], but we want to think over the fundamental concept behind e-mail. We think it would be great if people could communicate together with the use of video and voice," said Kawanishi.

Last but not least, one of the dangers in surfing around the Internet has always been the threat of a virus. Kawanishi commented that the PSP can't be fiddled with like a PC, so viruses shouldn't be a problem. However, he also said that nothing is entirely safe, so his staff is on the lookout to make sure countermeasures exist in cases where viruses appear on the handheld.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 08/10/05 03:22 PM PST
Old 08-12-2005, 09:15 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With the ammount of homebrewing going on, i can see some asshole, making an app that is diguised as an update or something, that can ruin the PSP.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

http://theinquirer.net/?article=25402

Sony PSP will run Windows and Linux

And many another

By Aaron McKenna: Monday 15 August 2005, 09:20

THESE DAYS all the fancy new handhelds and consoles are turning into what are basically small computers with pre-installed operating systems to run the games and utilities.

Sony’s PlayStation 3 will be capable of running Mac’s Tiger and the Linux operating systems, but it would seem that we won’t have to wait that long to see an operating system on one of Sony’s latest and greatest. After doing some testing the website PSP Update, here has proven that the PlayStation Portable will run operating systems such as Windows, FreeDOS, Linux, DLX Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, PicoBSD, Pragma Linux, Debian 3.0r0 and 2.2r5, and any other disk images with pre-installed systems on them.

What would you want with Linux on your PSP? We have no doubt creative answers will be handed to us in the form of working systems shortly. µ
Old 08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

oops... so much for the idea of the firmware upgrade making it harder to hack the PSP.... honestly I think PSP-hacking is gonna blow up... the things its gonna be capable of doing are gonna be crazy....

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...09_175640.html

Homebrew PSP developer may have defeated v. 2.0 safeguard

Scott Fulton

August 9, 2005 - 17:56 EST

Indianapolis (IN) - A video posted to a popular homebrew PlayStation Portable developers site appears to show the successful loading of a homemade game - reportedly a version of Tic-Tac-Toe - on a PSP model clearly loaded with the new version 2.0 of its system firmware.

The new firmware had specifically been designed by Sony to thwart anyone's attempts to load non-sanctioned games or applications, mostly to deter individuals from running or trading illicitly-obtained copies of games. While the game itself reportedly does not run yet (which could presumably still be considered a "hurdle" for anyone wishing to run his own games), the video does demonstrate what its anonymous author claims to be a key technique to getting a homebrew program image to load into PSP memory from a memory stick: It successfully passes itself off as a "version 2.1" upgrade to the version 2.0 firmware.

The video verifies the newness of the system firmware by showing the PSP connected via network cable to the Internet, running the new built-in Web browser--a feature new to version 2.0--and downloading the Google home page. It then shows the same system appearing to contain memory image loaders created for version 1.52, before demonstrating the technique that appears to load the homebrew program. The program was apparently not a copy of a commercial game, but a program created using homebrew developers' kits, for use on older versions of PSP. The system signaled a successful load with its trademark "ding."

Homebrew developers have told Tom's Hardware Guide that, although their work may not be sanctioned by Sony or any of its partners, their intentions are often not to encourage or support illegal or illicit use of the PSP mechanism, but instead to simply exploit its underlying versatility as a development platform. However, it remains possible that even the work of benign homebrew developers could be exploited by others--in this case, to run images of games that were successfully copied to memory sticks using firmware versions 1.52 and earlier.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
The video verifies the newness of the system firmware by showing the PSP connected via network cable to the Internet

theres no network cable jack on a psp...
Old 08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
theres no network cable jack on a psp...
it's hacked bro!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

http://theinquirer.net/?article=25505

Namco to release classics on PlayStation Portable

Pac-Man will be in attendance

By Aaron McKenna: Thursday 18 August 2005, 09:31
OHH YAY, another re-release of Pac-Man. Alright so it’s part of a 20 game compilation from Namco for the PlayStation Portable, but Pac-Man is obviously the big title aboard.

The compilation is due in November and will provide what will otherwise be a welcome addition of old arcade classics for Sony’s handheld console. As well as 16 fairly straight ports there are to be four new specially arranged versions exclusive to PSP, with Pac-Man, Galaga, New Rally-X and Dig Dug receiving the makeover treatment.

Some of the games will also take advantage of the newfangled features of the PSP with wireless multiplayer due to be in attendance. All we need to do now is put on the worst clothes in our wardrobes and every journey into work can be the 1980s… µ
Old 08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...24_130540.html

PSP 2.0 upgrade released, retracted, released again

August 24, 2005 - 13:05 EST

Broadband Reports noted that version 2.0 of the firmware for Sony's PlayStation Portable was made available on the company's Web site, then taken down, then brought back. At the time of this writing, the download appears to be available.

See the PSP 2.0 upgrade page here... (Sony PlayStation)
Old 08-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

U.S. FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0 RELEASED

for better viewing, open the link.

http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.as...SoftwareUpdate

Notice
This update is for customers who own the PSP™ (PlayStationPortable) model number PSP-1001 K. DO NOT update your PSP™ system through this Web site if you own a different model of the PSP™ system. There is no guarantee of proper operation with other models of the PSP™ system.

An update to PSP™ system features was made available on August 24, 2005.

With this update, the system software is version 2.00.
Features updated in system update version 2.00 include:

Network

* An Internet browser has been added. More
* 4:3 Screen Mode has been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media). More
* Go To feature has been added (for UMD™VIDEO and UMD™MUSIC). More
* A-B Repeat feature has been added (for UMD™VIDEO, UMD™MUSIC and video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media). More
* Audio options have been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
* MP4 (AVC) has been added as a playable file format (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).

Music

* The combination of SonicStage™ version 3.2 (or later) and PSP™ system software 2.00 (or later) has made it possible for music files in ATRAC3 plus™ format to be transferred to a Memory Stick PRO Duo™.
* MP4 (the audio codec for MP4 format audio files is MPEG-4 AAC) and WAV (Linear PCM) have been added as playable file formats (for music saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).

Photo

* Wallpaper feature has been added. More
* Image transfer feature has been added. More
* TIFF, GIF, PNG and BMP have been added as viewable file formats.

Settings

* Korean has been added as a system language in [System Settings]. More
* [Character Set] has been added in [System Settings]. More
* [Theme Settings] has been added. More
* [Internet Browser Start Control] has been added as a security mode in [Security Settings]. More
* WPA-PSK (TKIP) has been added as a security mode in [Network Settings].
* Web address shortcut feature has been added as an input mode for the on-screen keyboard. More

Hints
- If your system software version is 2.00 (or later), you do not need to perform this update. To check the version of your system software, select "System Settings" under from the home menu, and then select "System Information".
- Do not use data other than official update data acquired through our company's update server.
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PSP™ system software.

You can update your system software by any of the following methods:

Network Update
Use the PSP™ system's Network Update feature to perform the update. Click the link above for update instructions. Refer also to the PSP™ system instruction manual.

Update using your PC
Download the update data to a PC, and then save on Memory Stick Duo™ media. Start the saved update data on your PSP™ system to perform the update. Click the link above for update instructions.

Update using a UMD™
Use the update data included on a UMD™ to perform the update. Click the link above for update instructions.
*As of August 24, 2005, this method is only available for updates up to version 1.52.

PSP is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Wireless internet connection and Memory Stick Duo™ may be required for certain functionality. Player responsible for Wi-Fi fees.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Race Director

Getting it now!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:47 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I want one....even more now....
Old 08-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Cool. Will get it tonite!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Race Director

The browser is awesome, will come in handy for sure.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

THIS IS AWESOME!!! x 1 billion

web-browsing is great, much better than like, my Treo. I mean, it fits the width like totally well!! ok Im done freaking out now...

just in case you wanna see:

Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

smileys look great on here!! along with anims in general...
Old 08-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Race Director

have you been to pspdrive.com/psp?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

no I will try it out - looks like bookmark material...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 PM

FRACK!! i updated mine to the japanese 2.00 firmware and i cant update mine to the US 2.00 firm ware

dammit means i gotta wait until version 2.01 or so until i can update it back to the US firmware
Old 08-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

what are you serious...... that sux man.......
Old 08-26-2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by srika
what are you serious...... that sux man.......
yea i tried the auto update, and it said you are already running firmware version 2.00

and then i downloaded it to the memory stick.. said the same thing
Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

a good virtual keyboard to use to start off browsing on your PSP... I also set it as my homepage (in Settings).

http://testing.onlytherightanswers.com/pspkey2.htm

d-pad goes left and right quick if you hold down the key, and I would have to say its easier to type in here than in the PSP keypad. use the Google search bar at the bottom to find whatever you need, be it a search, or directly to a website.

Also if you are getting any out of memory errors on PSP, be wary of open tabs. Use File menu to "close page" if you have unecessary tabs open...
Old 08-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Some more good info about using the PSP browser...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ssage.id=56036

It also says you should set the cache to 2048 for best results.

There are also instructions for saving web pages (such as the virtual keyboard above) to your memory stick, so you can access them faster. This is useful for common pages that have static content, but dynamic links.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Sony PSP: Made in...China!

PSP: Made in China

Sony begins overseas production for PSP.
by Anoop Gantayat

August 29, 2005 - Check out the label on that new PSP of yours, and you may find that you're the owner of a system that was made by the fine folks in China. Although Sony first announced plans to farm out PSP production to non Japanese manufacturers back in May, the company revealed to Reuters today that overseas production has already begin as of early this month. Taiwanese manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industries was given the honors as it opened up PSP production at a factory in Shinsen, China. Hon Hai is also known as a manufacturer of the PlayStation 2 for Sony.

Until the start of this month, all PSP production had taken place at a Sony factory in Chiba, Japan, just East of Tokyo. The move to overseas production has been made to cut costs and increase the flexibility of the PSP's production system, according to Reuters. While the percentage of PSP units currently being manufactured outside of Japan has not been revealed, Sony has suggested that in the future all PSP production could end up taking place in Chinese factories.
Sony did not issue any revisions to its PSP production numbers in today's comments to Reuters, so the company still seems to be aiming for a goal of 13 million systems shipped worldwide by the end of the 2005 fiscal year. This number was revised up back in July from initial plans for 12 million systems.

Source: IGN.com
Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Chineese quality!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

Heck I thought it's made in China since day one. Very surprised it wasn't.
Good so now the fecking price can come back down
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Chineese quality!!!
You bet. Thank gawd I got the first batch from Japan!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Talk about bad pixels!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

ouch
Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Race Director

as long as we'll see the PS3 being made in japan first it's fine

Quick Reply: Sony: PSP News and Discussion Thread **New Version Revealed (page 11)**