AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Console & Computer Gaming (https://acurazine.com/forums/console-computer-gaming-13/)
-   -   Sony: PS4 News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/console-computer-gaming-13/sony-ps4-news-discussion-thread-853217/)

srika 04-06-2012 07:49 PM

Sony: PS4 News and Discussion Thread

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-playst...leak-06221908/

Sony PlayStation Orbis processing specs leak

Rue Liu, Apr 6th 2012

Details on the processing specs of Sony’s PlayStation 3 successor, rumored to be codenamed Orbis, have been leaked by IGN, citing sources familiar with the company’s plans. The custom chips to be used in the next-gen console are based on AMD’s A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, combining the performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.

The AMD A8-3850 APU features a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with integrated graphics. It will work with the dedicated Radeon HD 7670 GPU, the HD 7670, and a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM. The HD 7670 is the same card that will reportedly be used in the Xbox 720, which is expected to compete head-to-head with the Orbis in discrete graphics.

The Sony PlayStation Orbis is rumored to arrive in time for the holiday season in 2013. Select game developers have already begun working on titles for the console. The Orbis is said to not be backwards compatible with PS3 games and will be capable of displaying 4096 x 2160 resolution and play 3D games at 1080p.

SwervinCL 04-07-2012 08:40 AM

Pretty current PC specs...

And I just picked up a PS3 a couple of months ago.. Probably gonna wait on this for awhile. Besides, I haven't even really been gaming a whole lot these days.

Yumcha 04-19-2012 11:00 PM

I'll buy one. But, you guys knew that. And yes, I know it will suck. :O

slvrdrgn123 04-20-2012 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by SwervinCL (Post 13684411)
Pretty current PC specs...

And I just picked up a PS3 a couple of months ago.. Probably gonna wait on this for awhile. Besides, I haven't even really been gaming a whole lot these days.

I'll probably wait a couple years too like I did with the PS3. No point in getting it when I don't have a TV that can do that kind of resolution. Plus all I use it for is to stream movies from my computer anyways, hardly ever play any games on it.

srika 05-13-2012 07:50 PM

well this is good to hear. hopefully he will see it come through this way on the final product.

http://www.examiner.com/article/sony...ing-used-games

Sony CEO Jack Tretton 'totally opposed to blocking used games'

Scott Grill

According to a reveal on Sunday from Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, Sony Computer Entertainment of America CEO Jack Tretton thinks it would be anti-consumer to block used games with the Playstation 4.

Rumors of next-gen consoles blocking used-games have cropped up over recent months and it is something that Pachter called "the dumbest rumor I've ever heard" in an episode of "Bonus Round" from GameTrailers.com.

Pachter got to talk with Sony of America about what it plans on showing at this year's E3 that starts on June 5 and he said he asked CEO Jack Tretton "point blank" about his personal view on next-gen consoles playing used games.

According to Pachter, Tretton said, "For the record, I'm totally opposed to blocking used games. I think it is great for the consumer that they can buy those. We have a customer that buys our console late in the cycle, pays less and is looking for value-priced games. I think it would be anti-consumer for us to do that."

"I don't know, maybe Japan will think something different but that's my view."

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for the latest news or you can subscribe to our RSS feed or email alerts.

Via: Gametrailers.com

srika 01-30-2013 10:36 AM

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-ps4-rumors/26013/

Sony PlayStation 4 rumor round-up

By Chris Wood

January 29, 2013

A wealth of rumors have surfaced regarding Sony's mystery next-gen console. Recent leaks allegedly detail the power of the system, while other reports claim that the company may ditch the popular and long-standing DualShock controller. We're going to try to find some degree of clarity in all the speculation.

When it comes to a new console, the first and biggest question mark is always placed firmly over the system's raw power – How many CPU cores are on board? How strong is the GPU? How much RAM? ... the list goes on. It's one of the biggest talking points surrounding Nintendo's latest Wii U system, and usually takes center stage in any discussion regarding which manufacturer will ultimately win the next “console war."

While the impact that a system's power has on its actual success is a significant bone of contention, it can give an indication of a console's long-term potential. As such, it's perhaps the single favorite topic of fans and the rumor mill alike.

The latest information on Sony's system comes to us courtesy of Kotaku, which has reportedly uncovered details of the latest PS4 development kit. The system in question boasts some impressive specs, including an 8-core AMD64 “Bulldozer” CPU and 8 GB RAM. The dev kit is also said to feature four USB 3.0 ports, ethernet, HDMI and Blu-ray support.

In terms of storage, the unit packs a 160GB HDD. That might seem a little weak given the growing emphasis on downloads, but it's worth bearing in mind that this is a dev kit we're talking about and not a final release unit.

In terms of GPU, most rumors support the notion that the system will feature a graphics card based on AMD's Radeon HD 7000 series line, with the Radeon 7970M being a likely contender. Digital Foundry recently reported that the console will feature a slightly less heavy-duty version of the 7970M, running at 800 MHz and featuring 18 “Graphics Core Next” compute units.

As you would expect, there's some significant contention when it comes to the validity of these specs, and several conflicting reports of the system's internals have emerged. The console's spec is unlikely to have been confirmed at this point, so it's worth regarding this information with a healthy degree of skepticism.
No more DualShock?

One of the biggest rumors surrounding Sony's new system relates to its controller. A senior games studio source has reported to CVG that the new console may not feature the long-standing and much-loved DualShock design.

We can't help but feel the influence of the Wii U's Gamepad controller here, as Sony has reportedly been experimenting with numerous designs, some of which include an LCD touch screen.

There's also a potential link to the PS Vita, which features both a forward-facing multi-touch display and rear-facing touch-pad. Rumors of significant integration between Sony's handheld and new home system have been flying about for a while now.

Despite these reports, we're still not convinced that Sony will abandon DualShock. Developers are thought to be using the current DualShock 3 controller with the dev kits discussed above, meaning that any new controller is unlikely to stray too far from that design. It's also not the first time that rumors of a design change have surfaced. Does anyone remember the Boomerang concept controller for the PS3?
User accounts

Another interesting report has surfaced, claiming that the PS4 will allow for simultaneous users. Unlike the PlayStation 3, where a single user will sign in to the system, the PS4 will temporarily link each user account to a controller, allowing multiple users to receive trophies during mutliplayer or co-op games.

This is a useful development, but we are struggling to see how it differs significantly from what is currently in place on Microsoft's Xbox 360 platform.
Orbis or PS4?

It's still unclear how Sony will label its new system. The project is codenamed “Orbis," but it's unknown whether the system will receive that name at release, or whether the more traditional PlayStation 4 moniker will be favored.

Given the branding of the PS Vita and the rumors surrounding a close integration between the two systems, the Orbis branding would bring a certain cohesion to the company's marketing strategy. However, we're more inclined to believe that Orbis is simply a codename much in the same way that Nintendo's GameCube was referred to as “Dolphin” prior to its reveal back in 2001.

In mid-November, Quantic Dream, the developer behind Heavy Rain, registered the domain singularityps4.com. The company has previously registered domains such as heavyrainps3.com and beyondps3.com for past titles, indicating (though by no means confirming) that Sony's new system will be called the PlayStation 4.
Reveal timescale

So when are we likely to see the PlayStation 4? Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai shed a little light on the matter when he told The Times that the Japanese company will let Microsoft make the first move, stating “Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?”.

Though this suggests that we're likely to see the new Xbox before we see the new PlayStation, numerous other reports have surfaced that suggest both companies are considering individual launch events as early as March. If those events fail to materialize, then keep an eye on E3 in June – it's going to be a big one.

Sources: Kotaku, CVG, Digital Foundry, IGN

Yumcha 01-30-2013 10:45 AM

:popcorn:

F-C 01-30-2013 10:54 AM

I love the PS controller. Don't change it.

Yumcha 01-30-2013 11:04 AM

^ Hit and miss for me. It sucks for fighting games. The best controller ever was probably the SNES controller.

03SSMTL-S 01-30-2013 11:17 AM

ps-4 to soon the Ps-3 just really started getting big over the last 2 years, they (sony) will have the same problem moving units as did when the ps-3 first came out

Moog-Type-S 01-30-2013 12:12 PM

I guess Sony really does not want to make $$$

Why on earth would they release a PS4 now?

Vita crashed and burned....there is no market for it.

Why release a PS4 into a market that is not chomping at the bit for it?

srika 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

that's Sony for you.

supposedly this console is supposed to be easier to program for since it's using PC architecture. So hopefully that will mean developers can port PC games over easily, and it may even have like, an amazing set of games at launch. fingers crossed, that would be sweet.

Yumcha 01-30-2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 14292140)
I guess Sony really does not want to make $$$

Why on earth would they release a PS4 now?

Vita crashed and burned....there is no market for it.

Why release a PS4 into a market that is not chomping at the bit for it?

We don't know if Sony's strategy is to wait for Microsoft to release their next gen console first.

But, from what I read, it may be the case that they'll let MS go first and then act accordingly. :dunno:

RJANACONDA 01-30-2013 01:50 PM

the controler changes explain why it would not be backwards compatible. but not completely since they are wireless controlers it wouldnt take much cost wise to allow it to pair with the system. If they are definatly not looking at backwards compatability, to me heavily suggests the reason is a change in medium perhaps a unique format like the wiiu discs or some type of solid state medium.... download only games...?

BTW if they do change the medium i called it long time ago that the next system from sony would be using something else

Moog-Type-S 01-30-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 14292168)
We don't know if Sony's strategy is to wait for Microsoft to release their next gen console first.

But, from what I read, it may be the case that they'll let MS go first and then act accordingly. :dunno:

Makes zero sense. Sony must have a death wish.

Meanwhile over at Nintendo:
Nintendo Warns of Weak Wii U Sales
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...ales.html?_r=0

I don't see a market/need for new consoles.
The demand is not there.

Yumcha 01-30-2013 02:55 PM

^ Yeah, I can't say for the masses on what the demand is for consoles now. Personally, if a new console offers even prettier graphics, well, yeah...I'm going to buy it.

Still, with the advent of tablets and smartphones...the gaming market has maybe evolved. It will be interesting.

justnspace 01-30-2013 02:58 PM

like, i havent even had my ps3 for 3 years yet....geez, sony.

I dont see people rushing to buy this system....

Yumcha 01-30-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 14292577)
like, i havent even had my ps3 for 3 years yet....geez, sony.

I dont see people rushing to buy this system....

Mebbe Sony thinks console owners are like iPhone owners...must line up for a new phone once every 6 months? :shrug:

:snicker:

Yumcha 01-30-2013 03:01 PM

:hide:

srika 01-30-2013 03:05 PM

I already said it but, if I can play 1080p games with PC-quality graphics on my TV, I will buy it, no thought involved. So tired of playing the FPS games with the shit graphics. :-/

RJANACONDA 01-30-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 14292563)
Makes zero sense. Sony must have a death wish.

Meanwhile over at Nintendo:
Nintendo Warns of Weak Wii U Sales
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/te...ales.html?_r=0

I don't see a market/need for new consoles.
The demand is not there.

games drive consoles

if all the "Hot new games" were ONLY on wiiu they the console would fly off the shelves as game makers shift on to the new platfrom they force gamers to get the new system in order to play the new games so when sony and microsoft get new platforms and the new games you want to play are only on that platform then you will have to get the new system

Yumcha 01-30-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 14292603)
I already said it but, if I can play 1080p games with PC-quality graphics on my TV, I will buy it, no thought involved. So tired of playing the FPS games with the shit graphics. :-/

Cool. See you in line then. :O

mdkxtreme 01-30-2013 04:49 PM

Sooner or later I will get the PS4. My question is, will the PS4 allow for mouse and keyboard input? FPS games on a remote controller is stupid.

BTW, I agree with above on "games driving consoles."

Hardware, no matter how state of the art it is, is nothing without software. Sony has pretty good rapport with the gaming industry (Polyphony, Squarenix) so they are better off.

RJANACONDA 01-31-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme (Post 14292843)
Sooner or later I will get the PS4. My question is, will the PS4 allow for mouse and keyboard input? FPS games on a remote controller is stupid.

Hardware, no matter how state of the art it is, is nothing without software. Sony has pretty good rapport with the gaming industry (Polyphony, Squarenix) so they are better off.

i would think microsoft would be more inclined to allow keyboard/mouse input for thier game console. makes a lot of :2cents: and it would allow for the game console to have more control scheme options, easier time makeing pc versions, better web browsing with console, i am assuming it would just be a matter of game programing to accept the input from keyboard and mouse which shouldnt be too dificult.

While i prefer a gamepad i am huge fan of options in gamming ever since gradius:toocool:

Moog-Type-S 02-01-2013 01:15 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d-3GMHIgR-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Perhaps this will be when Sony announces they are filing for BK? :shrug:

SwervinCL 02-01-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 14292603)

So why don't you put a PC on your TV? Use an xbox controller or a wireless/keyboard mouse.

Moog-Type-S 02-01-2013 06:37 PM

Turns out many business analysts are 100% sure Sony is gonna debut the PS4 in Feb.

According to analysts Sony is doing this to desperately try to become relevant again, and doing so by making the console relevant again.

The Vita bust is putting them in desperation mode.

Understandable.....maybe....but the question is: Is there an appetite and market for a new console to throw $400 bucks at?

Yumcha 02-01-2013 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 14297293)
Turns out many business analysts are 100% sure Sony is gonna debut the PS4 in Feb.

According to analysts Sony is doing this to desperately try to become relevant again, and doing so by making the console relevant again.

The Vita bust is putting them in desperation mode.

Understandable.....maybe....but the question is: Is there an appetite and market for a new console to throw $400 bucks at?

Knee-jerk answer is that generally, I don't think so. Still, I could be wrong. After all, we are talking about a market (and no, I'm not snarking) that has no problems replacing their tablets and cellphones once a year with every "big reveal" from certain companies...and lining up overnight for it like it was food and water.

So, is this any different? Well, sure...this is not a portable communication/Internet device. Still, food for thought. I think Sony is going to regret this gamble. But, if the competitors (i.e. Nintendo and Microsoft) are doing it...what choice does Sony have?

chill_dog 02-02-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 14297293)

If it was only $400, I'm sure it would fly off the shelves. The price will be the key to whether this is a success or not.

Ken1997TL 02-02-2013 11:47 AM

Honestly I think the iPad has paved the way for people to spend $400 or $500 on whimsical electronic purchases. You certainly get more for your money :shrug:

mdkxtreme 02-02-2013 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by chill_dog (Post 14297894)
If it was only $400, I'm sure it would fly off the shelves. The price will be the key to whether this is a success or not.

Exactly. People forgot that the Playstation 3 launched at $500-$600

fsttyms1 02-02-2013 02:51 PM

Maybe sony should wait for Gran Turismo 6 to launch at the same time. :ponder:

srika 02-04-2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme (Post 14292843)

I used to heavily be on the same boat, back in the day. HUGE proponent of mouse/keyboard for FPS. The trouble is, the first time you pick up a controller to use on a console FPS, you utterly suck at it. I mean you play like dogshit. And that is so discouraging. The main question is, why would you ever want to do that anyway? Well I'll tell you why. Because I've come home from work, and want to lounge on the couch in front of the big TV in the living room for a while. I want to relax. I don't want to sit in front of a PC with a keyboard and mouse, at a desk. That's what I do all day at work. I didn't start seriously with console FPS's until November 2009, with the release of MW2. Prior to that I'd played various FPS's on PS3, PS2, Dreamcast, etc and mostly never really got into those, just because it was so frustrating. When I'd have friends over we had a lot of fun doing 4p split-screen on the PS3 on the big screen (another thing you can't do on PC). But that was only for parties.

Anyways I was playing MW2 on PS3 a lot and started getting good at it. And then I started getting quite good at it, to a level that was satisfactory to me - I mean to a level where it was highly enjoyable to play. And I have been playing on there since. Quite relaxing to lounge on the couch and play.

That being said, I disagree 100%, FPS games on a console with a controller is not stupid. It's VERY FUN!

Originally Posted by SwervinCL (Post 14297139)
So why don't you put a PC on your TV? Use an xbox controller or a wireless/keyboard mouse.

I could if I wanted to - but I don't want to - because I like to be in a comfortable position in front of the TV, and that is so easy to do with a wireless controller. I am not going to sit in front of the TV in my living room with a keyboard and mouse. Have tried it in the past, it is too entirely awkward seating position and so uncomfortable. I might have been ok with that when I was younger but now, no I do not have the patience for it. Come to think of it, I've never even tried hooking up any of my newer laptops to the TV - just have never felt the desire to. But after reading this I kind of want to try it and see how the graphics look on the 1080p - see if that lives up to my expectations. Ultimately this is a matter of personal preference. You may love playing on keyboard and mouse and of course that's fine.

srika 02-04-2013 11:56 AM

Sony has shot themselves in the foot too many times in recent memory, with botched updates, the massive PSN security issues, and we can also add the Vita to the list. I personally feel the PS3's user interface along with PSN looked and performed horrendously at launch and while they were constantly being updated, the fact was they started out at that level. It's only with the last big overhaul (some 2 weeks ago?) that I feel like it finally looks like a fitting type of interface and platform. I would guess they will keep that same interface and look for the PS4 - so that instantly is going to be a big advantage the PS4 will have over the PS3 at launch.

That being said, I'd love to see the PS4 pull them out of their hole. They are definitely taking a gamble with this, they are going "all in". I hope it goes well for them.

Moog-Type-S 02-04-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 14297400)
Knee-jerk answer is that generally, I don't think so. Still, I could be wrong. After all, we are talking about a market (and no, I'm not snarking) that has no problems replacing their tablets and cellphones once a year with every "big reveal" from certain companies...and lining up overnight for it like it was food and water.

So, is this any different? Well, sure...this is not a portable communication/Internet device. Still, food for thought. I think Sony is going to regret this gamble. But, if the competitors (i.e. Nintendo and Microsoft) are doing it...what choice does Sony have?

Perhaps, but I think the market has moved on from a dedicated device.

People throw out 200-400 bucks every couple of years for devices that do a great many things.

While the PS3 does some other things, other than gaming and blu-ray, the rest is does somewhat poorly.

Hence why the Vita was DOA. The market has passed Sony by.
Dedicated machines are dead.

Sony needs a HUGE innovation here...something I don't think we will see.

We all know what the big innovation that is coming: APPLE TV.

If it is as "amazing" as people say, and Jobs reinvented the wheel again, I think the Xbox and PS4 will look archaic when/if the APPLE TV does come out, and if it all it's cracked up to be....or assumed to be.

People have become quite used to all-in-one machines that allow them to do pretty much everything, everywhere. A dedicated machine in one location that does a few things....in this market.....is already obsolete.

Sony needs a grand slam here, not a home run.

srika 02-04-2013 12:53 PM

are you guys talking about the new Apple TV somewhere? I'm not seeing a thread for it?

care to point me in the right direction? :wish:

mdkxtreme 02-04-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 14300739)
I used to heavily be on the same boat, back in the day. HUGE proponent of mouse/keyboard for FPS. The trouble is, the first time you pick up a controller to use on a console FPS, you utterly suck at it. I mean you play like dogshit. And that is so discouraging. The main question is, why would you ever want to do that anyway? Well I'll tell you why. Because I've come home from work, and want to lounge on the couch in front of the big TV in the living room for a while. I want to relax. I don't want to sit in front of a PC with a keyboard and mouse, at a desk. That's what I do all day at work. I didn't start seriously with console FPS's until November 2009, with the release of MW2. Prior to that I'd played various FPS's on PS3, PS2, Dreamcast, etc and mostly never really got into those, just because it was so frustrating. When I'd have friends over we had a lot of fun doing 4p split-screen on the PS3 on the big screen (another thing you can't do on PC). But that was only for parties.

Anyways I was playing MW2 on PS3 a lot and started getting good at it. And then I started getting quite good at it, to a level that was satisfactory to me - I mean to a level where it was highly enjoyable to play. And I have been playing on there since. Quite relaxing to lounge on the couch and play.

That being said, I disagree 100%, FPS games on a console with a controller is not stupid. It's VERY FUN!

You are correct on the point of people wanting to just relax on the couch instead of looking like they're on the computer. But I was mainly talking in terms of being a hardcore FPS gamer. I am very good at almost every FPS games. I was really good in Counter Strike in the old days. I usually get invited to scrim with some of the best clans that play CS for a living and get paid for it. In Call of Duty, 85% of the time I am the guy on top of the stats at the end of the game. So speaking on natural game play of FPS, the keyboard and mouse is much more intuitive.

But I have to agree with you, if they added the keyboard and mouse for the PS4, then it really takes the console out of, well, console. It would then be just a PC-like machine.

srika 02-04-2013 01:13 PM

Yeah I'm not in that boat at all - I am a casual gamer who likes to come home from work and get some relaxation. If I was a hardcore gamer playing at a competitive level it would be mouse/keyboard for me, for sure.

Yumcha 02-04-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S (Post 14300849)
Perhaps, but I think the market has moved on from a dedicated device.

People throw out 200-400 bucks every couple of years for devices that do a great many things.

While the PS3 does some other things, other than gaming and blu-ray, the rest is does somewhat poorly.

Hence why the Vita was DOA. The market has passed Sony by.
Dedicated machines are dead.

Sony needs a HUGE innovation here...something I don't think we will see.

We all know what the big innovation that is coming: APPLE TV.

If it is as "amazing" as people say, and Jobs reinvented the wheel again, I think the Xbox and PS4 will look archaic when/if the APPLE TV does come out, and if it all it's cracked up to be....or assumed to be.

People have become quite used to all-in-one machines that allow them to do pretty much everything, everywhere. A dedicated machine in one location that does a few things....in this market.....is already obsolete.

Sony needs a grand slam here, not a home run.

Well, again, we will see. I agree that Sony may likely be disappointed with sales...don't know what the market is like for consoles.

Mind you, I do disagree somewhat with your comments about tablets and phones. One is a glorified web-surfer and the other is a mobile phone. If people think they are great, that is their prerogative...but, to me, they will never replace a good computer. They are not PC replacements...at least not yet.

And despite the pricepoint, people still shell out for a "new" minty upped version of the web-surfer and cellphone whenever a hyped-up reveal comes about once a year.

So, go figure. I'll say this: If Apple sold consoles, they would have no issues making sales even if they released a new gen every 6 months. Sony? They don't have that sort of market clout unfortunately.

srika 02-04-2013 02:38 PM

Sony must "wow" with this.

Yumcha 02-04-2013 02:59 PM

Doubt it. :2cents:

Upped graphics. And maybe some crazy interface/integration with social networking which I could give a rats behind about. :shrug:

Yumcha 02-04-2013 03:00 PM

If I'm buying it, I'm buying it strictly for the upped graphics. :rofl:

Could care less about how people get to see the final 5 minutes of how I finished a game and etc. (read about this rumored functionality somewhere recently).

srika 02-04-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 14301239)
Doubt it. :2cents:

Upped graphics. And maybe some crazy interface/integration with social networking which I could give a rats behind about. :shrug:

are you ok??? :poke:

Yumcha 02-04-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 14301258)
are you ok??? :poke:

Yeah, I am. What are you implying?

What else can this console do? :shrug:

I doubt it will microwave my frozen TV dinner or clean my bathtub for me. Other than some upped graphics capacity and maybe more integration with social networking, what else do you possibly think a new console can do?

What is the Wii U doing "new"...?

srika 02-04-2013 03:19 PM

I'm implying that you are kissing Sony's butt 100% of the time so your post confused me. :snicker: Guess it's more like 99%.

Yumcha 02-04-2013 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 14301296)
I'm implying that you are kissing Sony's butt 100% of the time so your post confused me. :snicker: Guess it's more like 99%.

:rofl:

More in mockery of the Apple-butt-kiss going around here. ;)

I like Sony stuff, sure. But, there is no way I will buy a Sony product for the sake of the fact it has their logo on it. :2cents:

I have a Sony-money-lossing-"fail" in the Vita because I liked what it offered and suited a want (I travel for work often).

srika 02-04-2013 03:26 PM

I've definitely seen 'those' posts before but I truly did think you were a Sony buttboy.

Yumcha 02-04-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by srika (Post 14301318)
I've definitely seen 'those' posts before but I truly did think you were a Sony buttboy.

:chuckle:

Ah.

I refuse to line up overnight for anything and/or hang on the every word of a smelly, dead-beat father-type, park-in-handicap-zone jerk. Even if there was a guy like that at Sony. :O

But, snarking aside, I think you catch my drift. In all seriousness, I think Sony will be disappointed with the outcome of the PS4...Then again, if what I said about how people can easily spend $$$ on a glorified web-surfer and/or new cellphone once a year...well, they can in theory (THEORY), ante up for a new console.

I just hope Sony isn't thinking like that...cuz, they don't have Apple's marketable reputation.

Yumcha 02-04-2013 03:37 PM

But, based strictly on what an upped processor, graphics can do...if they can make a game like MGS or the Gran Turismo series even prettier and realistic...? I'm sold.

Moog-Type-S 02-04-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 14301163)
Well, again, we will see. I agree that Sony may likely be disappointed with sales...don't know what the market is like for consoles.

Mind you, I do disagree somewhat with your comments about tablets and phones. One is a glorified web-surfer and the other is a mobile phone. If people think they are great, that is their prerogative...but, to me, they will never replace a good computer. They are not PC replacements...at least not yet.

And despite the pricepoint, people still shell out for a "new" minty upped version of the web-surfer and cellphone whenever a hyped-up reveal comes about once a year.

So, go figure. I'll say this: If Apple sold consoles, they would have no issues making sales even if they released a new gen every 6 months. Sony? They don't have that sort of market clout unfortunately.

You are the exception to the rule.
The tablet has become king. Just look at the falling sales of pc's.

Hopefully Sony did some serious market research outside of Japan....otherwise this could be the final nail in the coffin for Sony.

Doom878 02-05-2013 06:56 AM

They better come with something serious if they want my money again. I've had PS1 to 3 but I'm so leaning to XBox this time around.

RJANACONDA 02-06-2013 05:30 AM

I could if I wanted to - but I don't want to - because I like to be in a comfortable position in front of the TV, and that is so easy to do with a wireless controller. I am not going to sit in front of the TV in my living room with a keyboard and mouse. Have tried it in the past, it is too entirely awkward seating position and so uncomfortable. I might have been ok with that when I was younger but now, no I do not have the patience for it. Come to think of it, I've never even tried hooking up any of my newer laptops to the TV - just have never felt the desire to. But after reading this I kind of want to try it and see how the graphics look on the 1080p - see if that lives up to my expectations. Ultimately this is a matter of personal preference. You may love playing on keyboard and mouse and of course that's fine.

you know if you try using a tv tray or something simular it would make it a lot easier to use a keyboard mouse in front of the tv. :2cents:

srika 02-06-2013 10:20 AM

sitting in front of a TV with a tray is not my idea of relaxation..... I would never do that.

SwervinCL 02-06-2013 12:22 PM

You don't need a keyboard/mouse except to launch games and whatnot, but for playability http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...indows#details.

Hell, for that matter, you could probably get a bluetooth dongle for your pc and use a PS3 controller, if you have one.

srika 02-06-2013 12:48 PM

My objective is to relax with a controller while playing on the TV in the living room. That objective is met with the PS3. Not worth the hassle (to me) of setting up a PC in the living room and configuring it with a wireless controller just for the graphics. That is where the PS4 will come in! :wish: