Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Sony: PS3 News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont see what the big deal is. I for one love the fact that I paid $400 for a blu ray and video game console. If the PS3 didnt have Blu ray then obviosly it would be more price competitive with the other consoles. Since it comes with some extra which actually saves you space because you dont have to add a seperate blu ray player whether it be stand alone or added to the xbox why should it sell for the same price as those. The xbox blu ray add on is like $150 which pushes your total cost to $350 for the console and blu ray.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I remember, the peeps were pissed about the author comparing Nov 07 to Nov 08, and not the full 07 vs 08 annual figures.

I personally couldn't give a rat's ass either way, I'm happy with my PS3.

Can't deny that BD numbers aren't amazing at the moment, but I think the format will pick up in 2009 and sales figures will improve
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
did I just read somewhere above someone said that the difference between Blu Ray and DVD aren't much on a screen less than 50"??!!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by uzzmaan
From what I remember, the peeps were pissed about the author comparing Nov 07 to Nov 08, and not the full 07 vs 08 annual figures.

I personally couldn't give a rat's ass either way, I'm happy with my PS3.

Can't deny that BD numbers aren't amazing at the moment, but I think the format will pick up in 2009 and sales figures will improve
Just checking the interweb.....blu-ray sales are pretty poor indeed.
http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/D...o-august-2008/

I didn't know they were such a small percentage of disc sales.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by is300eater
did I just read somewhere above someone said that the difference between Blu Ray and DVD isn't much on a screen less than 50"??!!
I assume they mean 1080i verus 1080p
Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Derk's K24
I dont see what the big deal is. I for one love the fact that I paid $400 for a blu ray and video game console. If the PS3 didnt have Blu ray then obviosly it would be more price competitive with the other consoles. Since it comes with some extra which actually saves you space because you dont have to add a seperate blu ray player whether it be stand alone or added to the xbox why should it sell for the same price as those. The xbox blu ray add on is like $150 which pushes your total cost to $350 for the console and blu ray.
wow am i out of the video game loop... i had no idea Xbox went through with the Blu-ray add-on!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by srika
wow am i out of the video game loop... i had no idea Xbox went through with the Blu-ray add-on!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/

All of Sony's gaming systems are down in sales......what gives?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
is in Honda heaven

I dont have a xbox but that's what my gamer friend just told me.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i can see why ps2 sales are down, its older generation.

and psp sales are down cause of the faulty LCD screen.

and ps3 is too expensive at the moment, they shouldve had a price cut for this holiday season.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

CNN has declared Sony's PS3 "a sinking ship" riffing off last Thursday's "plummeting" NPD sales results. CNN bases its gloomy diagnosis on Sony's sales plunge of 19 points, compared to sales in November 2007. That's a fair criticism, but it isolates a superficially negative statistic while ignoring the fact that this November only included two days of post-holiday sales (11/28 - 11/29) compared to last year's eight total (11/23 - 11/30). I'm speculating here, but if you could adjust for that difference, it's very likely PS3 sales would have increased, however slightly, year-over-year.

What's more, Sony rightly points out that the PS3 has seen hardware sales grow 60% year-to-date. I realize the PS3 wasn't selling well in 2007, so that figure's less impressive than it sounds, but growth is growth, any way you slice it. What's more, look at PS3 and Xbox 360 units sold in total worldwide, and Sony pretty much throughout 2008 has actually been playing catchup.

Then there's the PlayStation brand overall, which when you factor in the PSP and PS2, topped 1 million units, more than the Xbox 360's 836,000. The PlayStation brand has in fact pretty easily muscled past the Xbox brand practically every month since the PS3's launch. Sony's margins on the PSP and PS2 are almost certainly better than the PS3's, so which company's actually been more profitable in overall unit sales is less obvious than it seems.

On the other hand, CNN's whacking the nail on the head when it raises the problem of the PlayStation 3's price. The recession's been on well and long enough for Sony to have reacted by now, and yet it's stubbornly clung to that $400 entry point. Had it dropped the PS3's price to $300 or even $350 it's a safe bet October and November's numbers would've tallied much more favorably. Both Microsoft and Sony have a solid stable of exclusives, and both have interesting companion services, but it's price and not NXE/Netflix or PlayStation Home that's deciding the battle at the moment.

Quick points...

CNN's right that the video-game industry isn't recession proof. Nothing is. The rest of us saying as much merely mean "recession-proof-so-far," which it clearly is compared to other ebbing economic indices.

CNN says the differences between Blu-ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50". I suppose that'd be true if your eyes are somehow genetically fixed at 720 x 480 (NTSC). For the rest of us, Blu-ray at even 720p (1280 x 720) with all its other commensurate upticks in sample rates and color quality is shockingly better than the visuals output of the average DVD.

And finally, "the PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console." Really? I guess CNN's not familiar (or perhaps just not partial to) exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, the original Resistance: Fall of Man (twice the game the sequel is, in my opinion), and MLB 08: The Show. When you're talking new unit sales, you count the whole history of notable exclusives, not just the last month or two of holiday attention-grabbers.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/15548...king_ship.html

Interesting article, on the same line of thought

As for BD prices, while they aren't at the dirt cheap level of most DVDs these days, you can get most BDs for < $20 on Amazon, which is a pretty decent price to pay within 2 years of the format being widely available
Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
is in Honda heaven

Originally Posted by Mizouse
yea it was quite annoying to have my bluray remote churn thru batteries.

I've had mine for over a year and use it about 5 nights out of the week and havent had to change the original batteries yet. The only thing I hate about the remote is how it turns the system on with the lightest touch which can be annoying seeing how it sits on the floor next to my bed most of the time.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Is the clock ticking on blu-ray

Now, I don’t agree for one second with those that say Blu-ray is doomed and that it will all fold sometime in the next year. Neither do I agree with those that say that Blu-ray is doing as well as expected. It is clearly not, and it has enemies everywhere in the form of other distribution technologies, and existing franchises that are rock solid in their adoption. So Blu-ray is very much a format that should have done better having had no equal competition, is still not doing too badly considering, but time is surely not on their side. Forget the 5 year strategy, and get a strong foothold now, before some more convenience Internet/purely digital based service comes in and steals their thunder. The people behind Blu-ray also has to make up their minds as to whether to market Blu-ray as an evolutionary replacement for DVD, or just a premium alternative.

As for the other distribution methods, imagine a set top box that accepts Blu-ray discs, as well as high capacity flash drives and comes with a broadband connection and perhaps some HDD storage. Some Blu-ray players/recorders already have these features, by the way. Now imagine being able to go to stores and download Blu-ray quality movies from a kiosk to your 32 GB flash drive, take it home to your media server or your HDD equipped standalone, upload the movie to it, and add it to your digital library. You can achieve the same by ordering movies from online stores (through the player) and have the movie delivered on Blu-ray discs, also ready to be uploaded to your media storage device. And of course, you can download movies straight from the net, or stream them live as you watch and have thousands of movies accessible at the press of a few buttons. In this quite plausible scenario (in my opinion, anyway), Blu-ray is reduced to just one of many content transfer options, and with faster Internet and higher capacity flash drives, it really doesn’t have much of a future.
http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/

I think it comes down the the public not seeing the worth in blu-ray resolution when compared to a $100 upconvert dvd player. Not to mention the dvd's are quite a bit cheaper than the blu-ray discs.

DVD was a giant leap from VHS. People loved the resolution/clarity, no rewinding...all the extra features...and a material/format that does not errode over time.

In the general public's eyes, I don't think they see much of a leap from an upconverted 1080i DVD to blu-ray. It's nowhere near the leap in technology that DVD had from VHS.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Can't argue with that Moog, with respect to BD not being the leap in techonology that DVD was over VHS.

At the same time, I don't see non-physical media becoming huge anytime soon. I'm not sure if the infrastructure is currently in place or will be in place within 5 years to be able to deliver 1080p quality data to tens (hundreds?) of millions of homes worldwide.

So does that mean we're stuck with DVD till a more feasible alternative comes around? Or do BD prices follow the market and end up dropping within a year?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Can't argue with that Moog, with respect to BD not being the leap in techonology that DVD was over VHS.

At the same time, I don't see non-physical media becoming huge anytime soon. I'm not sure if the infrastructure is currently in place or will be in place within 5 years to be able to deliver 1080p quality data to tens (hundreds?) of millions of homes worldwide.

So does that mean we're stuck with DVD till a more feasible alternative comes around? Or do BD prices follow the market and end up dropping within a year?
DirecTV & Dishnetwork already offer 1080p movies on demand.

People said the same thing about music CD's...now look music physical media is on its last breath.

Video will go the same route. It's progress...plain and simple.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure of the numbers, but what's the subscription base for DirectTv and Dishnetwork? How many of those people actually use the OnDemand services?
For the elimination of physical media to happen, the infrastructure has to be in place to be able to provide millions of households with 1080p content on demand. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I really doubt North American service providers have the capability at the moment to provide this. Or will have the capability within 5 years to meet this sort of demand.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Subscribers:
20 million for DirecTV
13.8 million Dishnetwork

Almost 34 million homes can receive on demand 1080p content.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I shoot people

I bet that company that does those DVD rental vending machines in grocery stores are doing good... I wish they started doing Blu Ray... Everytime I go to the near by Albertson's there's a short line of people waiting to use the machine...
Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Subscribers:
20 million for DirecTV
13.8 million Dishnetwork

Let's see then, what happens over the next 5 years or so. Personally I think it'll require significant additional investment in infrastructure before physical media for entertainment can be completely eliminated. We might be moving towards that reality, but I don't think it's going to happen within the lifespan of BD.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Let's see then, what happens over the next 5 years or so. Personally I think it'll require significant additional investment in infrastructure before physical media for entertainment can be completely eliminated. We might be moving towards that reality, but I don't think it's going to happen within the lifespan of BD.
Well, DVD debuted in 1996....still around over ten years now.

Blu-ray debuted in 2006.

So you think that 8 years from now broadband/on-demand video will not be outpacing physical media?

By comparison: iTunes music store debuted in 2003...and now have sold over 5 billion songs.....iTunes is second only to Walmart in being the largest music retailer in the U.S.

Physical media for video slowly going away....and I think it will be sooner than you think.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM

i dont think it will be at least not anytime soon, and you cant really compare music to movies, because the file sizes for music only takes a few seconds to download, where as a 1080p movie could take a few hours, and to reduce it down to short download times would require heavy compressing and sacrificing PQ.

plus i think the reason why itunes is doing so well is that you can download individual tracks rather than just buy a whole CD to only get a few songs that you like, where as for a movie, you cant really buy parts of the movie.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

i dont think it will be at least not anytime soon, and you cant really compare music to movies, because the file sizes for music only takes a few seconds to download, where as a 1080p movie could take a few hours, and to reduce it down to short download times would require heavy compressing and sacrificing PQ.

plus i think the reason why itunes is doing so well is that you can download individual tracks rather than just buy a whole CD to only get a few songs that you like, where as for a movie, you cant really buy parts of the movie.
Sure it takes more time...but you can cue them up...and download your movies...all night and while you are at work. You can access your DVR remotely at any time to download on demand content....when you get home...you have your 1080p content.

iTunes does well because it's easier than going to the store.
This will be the same for video/films.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

50MB/second and beyond will be here rather soon, relatively speaking..

add cheaper and cheaper storage costs and its a win/win.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

and at those rates you won't even need to download the whole thing, you could just stream it in full 1080p.. and beyond.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 AM

i guess call me old fashioned, id rather just go out and buy a disc than to wait to download ~40gb.

at least for me, downloading that would take probably a week or 2.

and i would rather own the movie than stream it all the time.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 AM
I shoot people

IMO, in the future ALL games will be downloaded... (like ALL movies will too). It'll save cost and hopefully the games will be cheaper on the consumers.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Senior Moderator

i guess call me old fashioned, id rather just go out and buy a disc than to wait to download ~40gb.

at least for me, downloading that would take probably a week or 2.

and i would rather own the movie than stream it all the time.
I like owning the movies I really love (and would continue to do that, I'm guessing the "Limited" type editions will be here for a while - and obviously many many many people have DVD players). But for me, the majority are ones I don't need to own. It will be nice to pay a small fee to rent them in HQ, fully from the computer - zero hassle! It's like ordering dinner online - don't need to talk to anyone, don't need to drive your car anywhere, don't need to get out your wallet, don't need to write anything. Win!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Derk's K24
I've had mine for over a year and use it about 5 nights out of the week and havent had to change the original batteries yet. The only thing I hate about the remote is how it turns the system on with the lightest touch which can be annoying seeing how it sits on the floor next to my bed most of the time.
Yes that is very annoying. I think in the lastest firmware they finally added sleep timers to the controllers/remotes for non-use.

Subscribers:
20 million for DirecTV
13.8 million Dishnetwork

They have to have the HD-DVR receiver and I bet that is a small percentage of subscribers but growing.

Originally Posted by is300eater
IMO, in the future ALL games will be downloaded... (like ALL movies will too). It'll save cost and hopefully the games will be cheaper on the consumers.
True as you can already d/l GTP5 from the PSN without a disc. But don't expect a price drop from the $60 games. They'll say something else to justify the cost even though they won't make discs anymore.

I'll be pissed if the recession kills Blu-Ray. Unfortunately consumers have no choice but to settle for upconverting DVD players. That means no buying new movies. You can get the Philips one for like $30 refurbbed now.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Doom878
They have to have the HD-DVR receiver and I bet that is a small percentage of subscribers but growing.
It's actually much higher than you thought:

Washington, D.C. (May 8, 2008) -- DIRECTV says that seven million customers now subscribe to a High-Definition and/or Digital Video Recording service.

That number represents 41 percent of the satcaster's total audience of 17.04 million subscribers. DIRECTV reported a year ago that approximately 30 percent of its audience was subscribing to an HD and/or DVR service. (DIRECTV does not break out statistics for individual high-def and DVR subscribers.)
41% is a very high number.
When you compare it to blu-ray versus DVD sales (blu-ray at best 10% of the market)...it's quite telling. HD viewers are not running to blu-ray.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

That's or. It has to be both. You can't run 1080P VOD without the box that is both HD and DVR. Not to mention take the percentage that actually uses the required ethernet connection wired/wireless to run the internet to their box. Plus it's still in its infancy unlike Comcast. Regardless as more people network their boxes and acquire HD DVR's, the trend seems that people don't know what high quality HD is. Stretch-o-vision satisfies them more than a correct aspect ratio of a BD since they hate the black lines. Quantity over quality.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ It is true that a lot of people have no idea about the nuts n bolts of HD. Hence why blu-ray isn't catching on like wild fire. People are content with upconverted 1080i DVD's.

Sure the on-demand/streaming 1080p is in its early stages....but the bigger point here is that it is here NOW. It is the future. The future is not in a disc or physical media.
Technology has surpassed the disc. As good as blu-ray is in picture quality and tech/storage....it's already being surpassed.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Yup. Convenience vs Quality is the better description.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 PM

^^ It is true that a lot of people have no idea about the nuts n bolts of HD. Hence why blu-ray isn't catching on like wild fire. People are content with upconverted 1080i DVD's.

Sure the on-demand/streaming 1080p is in its early stages....but the bigger point here is that it is here NOW. It is the future. The future is not in a disc or physical media.
Technology has surpassed the disc. As good as blu-ray is in picture quality and tech/storage....it's already being surpassed.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Senior Moderator

any thoughts on "Home"?

I'm guessing its a big load of ?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

Seriously, what's the appeal of it? I'm not hating but just curious. If it's a big fat chat room I could care less. Don't they already have ways of getting more players for multiplayer games?

<--has no router yet
Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

64gb USB flash drives.
More capacity than a dual layer blu-ray, and re-usable.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, he did that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any thoughts on "Home"?

I'm guessing its a big load of ?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 AM

64gb USB flash drives.
More capacity than a dual layer blu-ray, and re-usable.
yea but flash can only be written to so many times
Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Team Owner

at the strip

Quick Reply: Sony: PS3 News and Discussion Thread