Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

So....my PS3 just died thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So....my PS3 just died thread

Vent time....

The other night I was in the middle of Ninja Gaiden Sigma and the system froze for the first time Mind you, I don't play my PS3 much maybe once a week for an hour or so. I keep it in a clean ventilated space 100% of the time and take very good care or all my stuff.

Anyway, I ended up resetting the system from the front and then all was well again....for a while longer.

I exit the game and get a message about the new 2.53 update being available. So I say what the heck, let me go ahead and update to 2.53.

I hit yes to all the prompts and leave the system downloading and installing etc.

Finally, I come to the room to check up on the install and it appears to have completed just fine.

It was late and I headed off to bed without finishing my game. Then comes yesterday. I fire up the PS3 again so I can finally join my brotherern for some COD4 action and discover that my PS3 won't read ANY of my games.

I try every Blue ray and DVD and audio CD I have.....nothing!

Before the questions start, let me share my stats:

-PS3 60GB model....

-purchased used over the summer from someone locally (warranty expired)

-never had any issues (overheat, fan etc)

-always played games and movies well, never froze, stuttered etc

-never had any erratic behavior.

-All lights are normal (i.e blue light when you place discs in the drive)

-NO yellow or red light or death!

Please help. Sony want 150.00 to fix my system. I have a feeling that there may be another method I can try to get it to work again without having to send my system back. If this scenario has happened to you, what did you do to either rectify the situation or go about obtaining a new PS3? Did you end up sending it back or did you manage to repair it yourself?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I vaguely remember reading about the same issue on AVS some days back. Not going to update my PS3 till I'm certain all issues have been fixed.

Sony really has been screwing itself over with the PS3's issues. IIRC, a previous update also caused severe issues with many units.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah uzz, it was 2.40 that was the official bricker of PS3s back in the summertime.

They recalled that one after a couple of days.

In my case, I'm not sure if its the update that bricked or if my system freezing during Ninja Gaiden was the culprit.

Take a look at this PS3 fail thread. These guys are saying if you reboot your system with the disc still inside, it can cause a blue ray lense failure????

I'm stumped

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-03-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i haven't done the new update and now i don't want to (until it's deemed safe).

keep us updated cause i'm curious as to what's wrong w/ yours
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i updated my ps3 last night to the latest firmware. no issues, so forsome reason i don' tthink it was firmware related but isn't there a way to reinstall the software, i think i remmeber seeing a option for that.

i've rebooted my ps3 with a disk in it, pleanty of times, i keep my ps3 oon for weeks at a time, no issues

that sux dood. hopefully there's a quick cure for this issue
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

SG, apparently some folks have updated safely over on the PS3 forums and are arguing with folks who say their PS3 was bricked by an update.

Check it out. It makes for some small entertainment if anything

Originally Posted by Alperovich
i updated my ps3 last night to the latest firmware. no issues, so forsome reason i don' tthink it was firmware related but isn't there a way to reinstall the software, i think i remmeber seeing a option for that.

i've rebooted my ps3 with a disk in it, pleanty of times, i keep my ps3 oon for weeks at a time, no issues

that sux dood. hopefully there's a quick cure for this issue
Thanks Al. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll try the format option and let everyone know how it turns out

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-03-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
sux, but if it becomes a big problem then sony will fix it for free, they did that with the 2.40 update.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The update fixed all of the browser issues for me
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by tiguy99
SG, apparently some folks have updated safely over on the PS3 forums and are arguing with folks who say their PS3 was bricked by an update.

Check it out. It makes for some small entertainment if anything

Thanks Al. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll try the format option and let everyone know how it turns out
***hides under desk*** i hope my ps3 works when i get home, i actually turned it off this morning for once
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Shit.. I updated last night when I downloaded SF2 Turbo HD Remix.

Here's to hoping that my PS3 boots up when i get home...
Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah shit. I've gotten into the habit of turning my PS3 fully off since it shares a component wire with the Wii and the PS3 steals the Wii's sound when it is on standby.

BTW, downloaded 2.53 with no problems .. My condolences to those with failures ..

Last edited by mystikk; 12-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
how does it not work? turn on to main menu, but wont play discs?

that happened to me. happened shortly after an update, not sure if its related.

Luckily I was within the 1 year warrenty, they repaired my system and returned it (i was happy because i took good care of it). I asked at length if there was any way to repair because i didnt wnat to put it in the mail, they basically laughed at me and told me the blue ray laser player DIED and it was common. BTW i have an 80gb ps3
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What I remember reading a few days ago with regards to 2.53 is that the system will turn on, but a few people were reporting it being unable to play any discs after the update.

I'm going to stay away from updating my system until there is confirmation that everything has been sorted out. Sony has been shooting itself in the foot ever since the PS3 came out. Faulty updates aren't going to encourage people to recommend the system to those still on the fence.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for your loss ps3
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Wrap it in a towel and turn it on for 30 mins.

That was my 360 fix
Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I downloaded the update played Fallout 3 last night with no problems.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Silver™
Wrap it in a towel and turn it on for 30 mins.

That was my 360 fix
Haha very funny

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
I downloaded the update played Fallout 3 last night with no problems.
Consider yourself lucky. I didn't have issues with 2.40 either and that was the one that bricked many PS3s

Originally Posted by BC2G
how does it not work? turn on to main menu, but wont play discs?

that happened to me. happened shortly after an update, not sure if its related.

Luckily I was within the 1 year warrenty, they repaired my system and returned it (i was happy because i took good care of it). I asked at length if there was any way to repair because i didnt wnat to put it in the mail, they basically laughed at me and told me the blue ray laser player DIED and it was common. BTW i have an 80gb ps3
Yup...my system turns on and goes to the XMB fine. I even did the full format earlier. Took 3 hours and 53 mins.

There's a boot menu that allows you to access hidden system options. From there I repaired the file structure and it did say my files were corrupt and it fixed that but it didn't seem to make a difference with the blue ray.

I'm getting ready for door #3.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

How do you access the hidden system options?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Turn off your PS3 (but don't hit the switch in the rear.)

Hold down the power button wait for 3 beeps. It'll shut off again. Repeat the process once more.

The second time it will go beep..... beep...... (double beep).

Soon as you hear that double beep, take your hand off the button and voila the hidden boot menu appears

On another note, I just ordered a replacement drive and it should be here in a couple days. Time for some open heart surgery

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-03-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
6spder

/\ ouch that sucks dood. i was hoping it wasn't gonna require surgery.

let us know how it goes. how much was it btw?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Yow! Good luck with that...

If the laser still works, you can do this with it! LOL

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/906366/blu_ray_laser_phaser.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a
Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

/\ ouch that sucks dood. i was hoping it wasn't gonna require surgery.

let us know how it goes. how much was it btw?
I paid about 60 shipped and my laser unit should be here tomorrow evening. Hopefully it fixes my problem.

Ok. I did some more research and found out I'm not alone. Look at all these 2.53 bricked my PS3 threads. Not good.

I can't wait. My unit should be here tomorrow night. I've already found a few guides online showing me how to disassemble the blue ray laser unit completely.

I did manage to take my system apart, clean the drive with lense cleaning solution and successfully put it back together. However, the results were the same.

At this point there's not much I can do without that new blue ray assembly. But in the meantime, we all can check out this guy's video on youtoob and get a laugh or 2

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DCAYuHp9Qtw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DCAYuHp9Qtw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by Kikaida
Yow! Good luck with that...

If the laser still works, you can do this with it! LOL

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/906366/blu_ray_laser_phaser.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a
Holy crap that's awesome heck yeah I'll do that. The PS3 has two lasers a red one for CDs/DVDs etc. and a blue one for Blue Ray. Imagine being able to amp one of those lasers up to burn holes in stuff and another one to freeze things! Sweet hmmm we may be on to something here haha
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Missing My CL-S

good luck ti. post pics of the procedure if you can
Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SG81
good luck ti. post pics of the procedure if you can
No prob SG. I'll do a walk through
Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I was planning on holding off on the system update for a little while to see if there were many problems.

Anyway, my brother did the update last nite before I got home.

All is well, no problems! whew!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

good luck, man...

i haven't updated mine in awhile because i keep hearing/reading about problems after firmware updates.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
good luck, man...

i haven't updated mine in awhile because i keep hearing/reading about problems after firmware updates.
Thanks! Its finally made its way here to Chicago! Now if I can only fast forward to this afternoon/evening

I'm also very interested in making that laser gun too!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Missing My CL-S

my friend did his update last night and his PS3 is fine.

and ya, that laser gun is amazing
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

//start rant//

SG, you know what the worst part about all this is? I wasn't fortunate to have a backup device with 16GB free to back up my system the other day.

I lost everything on my HDD. Anyways, I was able to download all the demos back and a paid game (Stardust) but get this the other paid game, Snakeball, is missing in action!

It's showing up on my receipt in account management but the demo AND the copy I downloaded are both gone. I spent 45 mins on the phone with Sony this morning the rep concluded there was nothing they can do about that since they don't have a record I downloaded the game yet they see that I paid for it??? WTF

I downloaded the game 11/15/08. Its only been 2 weeks. I only have one account. What the heck???? Oh yeah, they said if I dispute this with my credit card company, I'll get banned from the playstation network!!!!!

Get this they tell me to contact the webmaster over on us.playstation.com and plead with them to see what they can do about it....

Why should I have to contact someone else if I spent 45 mins on my cell with customer service to help me with my problem in the first place? Aren't they going to say the same thing you just did??

I'm like you're saying, you can't find the game for me to download, you took it off the network so I can't even download the demo/or full game, and you're admitting it was a fault of 2.53 update causing me to format/restore my system yet you're saying if I dispute to get my money back I'll get banned???

I didn't say I wanted my money back....I just want the game. Oh yeah I found out you can't download demo's/games via your PC (which is much faster vs on the PS3??? why I dunno) and install them via your memory card or other media....

///end rant

on the flip side, the rep wasn't a prick and he did try to help me out but still this whole update thing = a bad week for my PS3 in my opinion

Last edited by tiguy99; 12-05-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

That sucks!

Did you try talking to a manager?

On one side, it would probably be a valid CC dispute as you did not get what you paid for, but on the other side, Sony has the right to refuse service for any reason they feel like...

How is Snakeball? So far, the only DL games I bought are 1942 and SF:HD. I bought tons of RB songs though.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kikaida
That sucks!

Did you try talking to a manager?

On one side, it would probably be a valid CC dispute as you did not get what you paid for, but on the other side, Sony has the right to refuse service for any reason they feel like...

How is Snakeball? So far, the only DL games I bought are 1942 and SF:HD. I bought tons of RB songs though.
Fun as hell! Especially the multiplayer games. Wish I could say check it out but since I was informed that a) the game's not for sale in stores nor b) its no longer available and c) Sony doesn't send out demo game discs ??? (which in this case would work out since some demo's are like shareware meaning you pay some fee and it unlocks the full game)

I'm focusing on one thing at a time. Right now I'm about to install the blue ray drive. I'll finish this, confirm the system's running then go from there...
Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM
6spder

ouch that sux dood. but hey i just noticed u in chicago, we're trying to put together a meet for next sunday, you should come, here the thread about it

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/chicago-karting-weekend-december-14-a-698818/
Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok...here I am, ready to go. I've got nice shots taken of the whole process and everything only to find out, the new drive I got is busted too.

Thanks Ebay.

Here's the break down,

Took the system apart again around 6PM. Locate blue ray drive like before, complete the blue ray laser swap and fire up the system....

Only one problem....it won't take any discs now...Oh crap I'm thinking right...I put everything back together the way it should.

Then I open the system again and decide hmm let's confirm everything's assembled the way it should be...

Everything's perfect. What could it be...hmm I wonder what would happen if I reinstalled my old drive...

So I proceed with that. Test it out again. Get this, the old drive takes discs just fine. I can insert them, hit the eject button, voila...the disc comes out just fine.

Now I'm thinking WTF????

Back to the drawing board I go. Again I dismantle the system and blue ray drive and inspect the 2 drives more closer.

Now I see what's wrong.....

I find out that there's a difference in the laser assembly with my old unit vs the replacement one...

Well its minor...there's this small metal shield/guide that was on my old one that was not included with the replacement unit. Anyway, I unscrew this part off the replacement unit and screw it on mine. Thinking YES!!! Home stretch here I come!

I mean its been 4 hours right, something's gotta come out of this...

Finally reassemble the system only to find out it still won't take discs. CDs...nada. DVDs...forget about it. VCDs....it laughs at your futile attemps. Blue ray discs....again forget about it.

At this point, my frustration level's hitting the peak.

I have to resize the pics etc, but I want you guys to see what this is like. It may be a while though, because I'm taking a nice break then I'm going to give the ebay seller a nice message letting him know his drive DIDN'T WORK!!!!!!!!

ouch that sux dood. but hey i just noticed u in chicago, we're trying to put together a meet for next sunday, you should come, here the thread about it

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698818
I'd love to if I'm free that day. Is this place indoors or outdoors?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 PM
6spder

eek WTF. that sucks.

karting is indoors btw, its $45 for 3 sessions. we are planning on doing 3 atleast and if anyone else wants to 5-6 (i think its $10 per session after 3), its gonna be a AM sunday session b/c that's when the track is the best.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

eek WTF. that sucks.

karting is indoors btw, its $45 for 3 sessions. we are planning on doing 3 atleast and if anyone else wants to 5-6 (i think its $10 per session after 3), its gonna be a AM sunday session b/c that's when the track is the best.
Sounds like some fun bro! I'll keep you posted on my status the closer we get to the date. What's the latest we should let you know if we're coming?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm on craigslist trying to find one of these drives locally but no dice. Looks like the PS3 may be out of commission for a while
Old 12-05-2008, 11:44 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Sounds like some fun bro! I'll keep you posted on my status the closer we get to the date. What's the latest we should let you know if we're coming?
lmk anytime b4 the 14th...

we're planning on meeting up at 10:30am at MPGP (Melrose Park Grand Prix), just post in https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698818 if you'll be attending so we'll know to wait for you.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

lmk anytime b4 the 14th...

we're planning on meeting up at 10:30am at MPGP (Melrose Park Grand Prix), just post in https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698818 if you'll be attending so we'll know to wait for you.
Preciate it

Quick Reply: So....my PS3 just died thread