Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Review: Logitech Steering GT Pro w/ GT4

Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review: Logitech Steering GT Pro w/ GT4

ok so having had the steering wheel I'd like to write a review for it.

Software/Hardware Setup

The setup is fairly easy. Plug and Play. Thre are two data connections. One USB connection that transports data from the pedals and the steering to the PS2 and one connection from the steering to the steering wheel. When the game turns on the steering wheel goes through an initialization automatically....freaky if you aren't expecting it.

Driving Setup

This is the most difficult. Seating position and line of sight are the most important variables. The optimal setup would be to sitting in the same position as you would be when driving a car. The pedals, at first, seem too close together for those who drive with a clutch, but once you realize this game has the SMG functionality and your left leg is best suited for left foot braking it fits right.

The steering wheel attaches with two screws that grip onto a flat surface. Make sure it is sturdy.

Remember the accelerator and brake pad has a carpet claw or whatever to keep it from sliding around. I didn't realize this until about 5 hours of the thing sliding around.

I can not understate the line-of-sight issue with this game. Right now my steering is crooked but i'm managing. However, I know i'm loosing a little when it comes to hitting my brake zones and apexs because of the misalignment.

You have a fully functionaliy PS2 controller built into the steering wheel so no need to have the standard controller next to you. A great thing about the steering setup is the directional arrows are withing thumbs reach while you are driving so looking back or to the side is very easy and quite useful.

Driving

It takes getting used to. Especially the 900 degree rotation. The game isn't any easier to drive. It takes more skill to drive with it. You will be using all of those 900 degrees so make sure you have a sturdy mount.

You can set different degrees of feedback and resistance. If you want the full feel of the game set the feed back to the highest level. As you go into a turn you wheel feel the feed back on the steering wheel really tug. If your back end steps out the steering feedback communicates it to you. Realistics is an understatement. Must add GT4 >Forza....sorry, adding ferrari's and damage don't add to the realism that GT4 offers. Now on to the main event

Standard v. Steering Wheel

PD did a fantastic job with coordinating the rumble feel with GT4. Bumps on the left side of the car will feel like the left side of the controller is moving etc., Where you loose a little something in the standard controller is the tight tight corners. This is where the steering wheel really lets you know through the force feedback that your rear wheels do or don't have traction. Which is better? If you just want to drive...the controller. If you want the full experience, the steering wheel is where it's at.

Overall Review

This is the closest you'll get to track time without sitting in an actual car. Turn up the sound and you are immersed into the game. I highly reccomend this steering wheel for anybody who is interested in taking GT4 realism to the next level.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,919 Likes on 5,538 Posts
good review, I am thinking I will probably end up giving in and getting one... it's just a question of time.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the wheel and don't use it for simulation mode. its way too hard and you'll never win a race unless you use a car that is much faster than the rest of the pack. i stick to the standard controller. when playing arcade mode i use it for kicks cause its kinda like playing in an arcade...very nice wheel but just way too hard.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
takes practice but i much prefer the wheel now.