Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

New PS3 controller design "here to stay"

Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Well, a few tries on trying to get Golds on Gran Turismo licenses oughtta do the trick...I'll let you know how far it goes.
That should do it!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by te3point5
French tickler/PS3 controller.

I think they should have kept the PS2 controller design. My favorite controller of all time. perfect ergonomics. the only one I possibly liked better was The Sega Dreamcast controller:

While i loved the dreamcast, the controller erogonmics was one of my least favorite things. It wasn't comfortable at all, and the screen in the controller, while innovative, wasn't useful when playing games (looking away from the main screen, not good).
Old 12-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,919 Likes on 5,538 Posts
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/c...tutorial.shtml

A new flash presentation demonstrates what gamers should expect from the new PS3 controller while claiming that using it is as "natural as holding a steering wheel".

Most of you are familiar by now with the controversial design of the Playstation 3 controller. Many Sony fans claim that the odd boomerang shape will make long gaming sessions on the PS3 very uncomfortable. Others claim that the shape is also wrong for the console from an aesthetic point of view.

A flash presentation that has surfaced, attempts to shed some light on how gamers will be expected to use the new Playstation 3 controller and explains how the new design will offer improved positioning of the hands compared to PS2 controllers. Capitalizing on the latest trend to focus extensively on controller design, the tutorial, which claims it debunks the PS3 boomerang myth, informs gamers that wrists are more comfortable when holding the controller at an angle.

The demonstration however, does make it look as if reaching buttons on the new controller may be more of a stretch than with previous designs although we expect that PS3 owners will quickly get used to the new design.

The final comment of the tutorial which compares holding a controller to being as natural as holding a steering wheel was met with sarcasm from most as very few drivers hold the steering wheel with both hands and even fewer would claim that it is the most comfortable of experiences.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:00 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Interesting!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are absolutely right about your wrists not being straight.
I love how all these fanboys are putting down a fucking VIDEO GAME CONTROLLER AND SYSTEM. It's not that serious really. As if anyone is MAKING you play it or something.

Regardless, the 'boomerang" design is really not too terribly different from the dual-shock now. It is obviously elongated and rounded out, but at the core (where the buttons are) you can see that it's almost the same.

To everyone saying "Teh ps3 is teh suxors!1 I h4t3 it!1!", grow up, realize it is just a video game system, and move on with life.

/Same goes to those bashing the 360
//Kids these days...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:35 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,158 Likes on 835 Posts
While I loved the Dreamcast system, I hated the controller. It was too small, and you really had to bend your wrists to grab it. The PS3 controller looks very promising imo.