Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

NEOYA X2VGA+ (XBOX VGA Adapter) [PICS]

Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 PM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEOYA X2VGA+ (XBOX VGA Adapter) [PICS]

Here's some pics of the unit I got. AT first, I thought this company was in China and I didn't like that at all because mainland mutherfxxkers are lame compared to the PRC (Taiwan). This unit is made in Taiwan and is sent from Taipei. That's why i got it in 5 days versus the bootlegg shipping from HK which typically takes 10 days.

Unit is constructed very very well. Looks and feels like the OEM HD component adapter from MS. Has optical, stereo out, headphones, dual VGA (in/out), and sports 480i mode for dashboard (you don't need that anymore since the XBOX dashboard can be enabled in 480P (push both triggers and the two thumbsticks down all together)). Overal A+ for the construction. This is great if you own just an xbox because the adapter is made for just the xbox. Compared to the Vid3 adapter, it beats it by a 1 point margin due to the fact that it does not require EXTERNAL POWER SOURCE. This just plugs into the rear of the xbox, hit a button on the unit to power on and you are set.

Quality: If you have ever used the DC (Dreamcast) VGA output adapter, you will know that it looks 10 folds better than any CRT 4:3 SDTV. On a decent quality monitor, it looks very very nice. This is a CONSOLE we are talking about here so do not debate about it compared to PC HI-RES picture output. If you are lucky to own a PC monitor (you would cause you are reading this on a monitor), plug this shit in to the X2VGA+ and it will rock. Below are some of the screenshots I took the best I could. It does not even do the graphics justice. You have to experience it in person. HAlo2 is an overall dark game so even on my monitor it actually looks alright. I didn't not do screenshots of DOA3 but I GUARANTEE you that you will see the difference. Even in halo2, it's so much better period. Absolutely because originally on my 27" sony SDTV, I couldn't even see what the fuck the GREEN connection icons where, now I can totally see that they are little green squares to represent connection lag. I couldn't make that out on my 27" sony but I can see it on my 21" Dell

I will post more screenshots if you aren't convinced but I'd personally get this just cause it makes the xbox graphics rock even harder. PS2 doesn't compared period. Sorry, they have great awesome games, but graphic eye candy isn't even there. With this VGA out, it's not even fair to compare.

Xbox runs 480p support for every title..well, almost every title. I'd say 95% are in 480p but only the early games aren't. Some are in 720p and 1080i (EA nfl 2004/5) and dragon's lair. I have yet to witness that. Spec wise, my dell supports 2048x1XXX (I forgot the horizontal). so HDTV isn't a problem.

It will not play DVDs in 480p mode. Sorry, xbox hardware deactivated. You can do this with mod chip of course. Overall, I am again very pleased. I have 5.1 DD setup and it rocks very hard along with being able to actually SEE the fucking game in it's full VGA output. You'd be suprised to see how much better it is on a 21" than a 27". Of course being native VGA, you will also see much aliasing and artifacting on most xbox games. Unless some have AA sampling, you'll see jaggies but it's not bad at all. The higher res games 720p have very very little. You can barely notice it. It's not a detraction at all.

Enjoy the pics even though they don't show much. It's a great unit and the customer service from Neoya is fantastic. I thought I was ripped off but shit, they are truely legit..especially coming out from Taipei, taiwan, you can rest assure they won't shag you like the mainland china folks.

I posted a link here in the console forums...but I wanted you all non-members to see this product.

Console Xbox review page for members
Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 PM
6SPDCLS

Few more redundant screen shots. Look at PGR1 (project gotham racing 1). You can clearly see the aliasing.

Almost 98% of the time, you get to play 16 players online on Xbox Live!. Can you do that with XBCONNECT? I don't think so

Old 11-23-2004, 02:01 AM
6SPDCLS

Sounds like i'm trying to sell this shit myself...I just believe in good quality products.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of dashboard in 480i on a PC monitor vs. 480p and DD5.1 in effect (for almost all Xbox game titles)

480i - Dashboard not in 480p mode.

480p - Pull both L/R shoulder triggers and push both thumbsticks DOWN simulataneously

Dolby Digital 5.1 for halo2
Old 11-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice...
Old 11-23-2004, 03:58 AM
Suzuka Master

sweet... what exactly does aliasing look like and how is it present in Project Gotham Racing?

(btw, this thread needs to be in games & video in a moment)
Old 11-23-2004, 04:42 AM
6SPDCLS

Originally Posted by KavexTrax
sweet... what exactly does aliasing look like and how is it present in Project Gotham Racing?

(btw, this thread needs to be in games & video in a moment)
Don't! I already have it linked from that in Games & Video. I wanted others who didn't have membership here to see it because I don't believe you can even view the GAmes & Console section without logging in.

Anyway, if you look at the two pics (porsche gt2 & the 360 modena), you will see that the outline of the car has somewhat of a "jaggy" look. That "stair-stepping" look is the result of "aliasing" and because of the nature of 480p (VGA output), it's quite low resolution and you will see these. AA sampling (anti-aliasing) will sorta blend these "jaggies" out so it won't be as visually apparent here.

But it doesn't bother much because the colors are really nicely saturated and the overall picture quality is just so clear and sharp. Most other games running in 720p or higher (pc games higher than 1024x768) will reduce the aliasing effect naturally due to the higher resolution output. Again, it's not really a big issue because most of the action moves so fast, you only notice it when you are stationary during gameplay.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:31 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice pics man. I've had a "VGA Adapter" that converts from Component Video to RGB for awhile but it only supports 480p. The X2 VGA supports 720p and 1080i which is the icing on the cake.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the HD adapter for my big screen, just as good as my puter monitors... I play all my games in 480p, and any of them that are 1080i...

My TV is just as crisp/clear, but it's 65" vs 20"
Old 11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
6SPDCLS

Originally Posted by SiGGy
I bought the HD adapter for my big screen, just as good as my puter monitors... I play all my games in 480p, and any of them that are 1080i...

My TV is just as crisp/clear, but it's 65" vs 20"
That sounds candy. However, not everyone can afford a 65" HDTV widescreen like yourself. PC monitor is the sole source us poor HDTV folk get to enjoy the xbox in E/HDTV.

PS- And why is this thread moved here when I asked for it not to be? There's a link to this thread already in here. I just wanted to share with all non-members too. And why is this section limited to only members?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DDT-TypeS
That sounds candy. However, not everyone can afford a 65" HDTV widescreen like yourself. PC monitor is the sole source us poor HDTV folk get to enjoy the xbox in E/HDTV.

PS- And why is this thread moved here when I asked for it not to be? There's a link to this thread already in here. I just wanted to share with all non-members too. And why is this section limited to only members?

ah, ya good point. I didnt' even think about the non HDTV peeps. Ya thats a inexpensive way to get HD on the XBOX.

I was just thinking of the 480P mode when I typed that. It's cool and all (much sharper, good chroma gains). Seemed like a waste for just 480p.

There is not a lot of HD games for xbox though

PS-
I didn't move it...
Old 11-25-2004, 05:16 AM
6SPDCLS

Originally Posted by SiGGy
ah, ya good point. I didnt' even think about the non HDTV peeps. Ya thats a inexpensive way to get HD on the XBOX.

I was just thinking of the 480P mode when I typed that. It's cool and all (much sharper, good chroma gains). Seemed like a waste for just 480p.

There is not a lot of HD games for xbox though

PS-
I didn't move it...
You are one of the many lucky folk who can actually get access to an HDTV. I sold mine But lack of good HD xbox games are lame. I have to agree, they need more good 720p+ games. You can almost bet on the next gen console will have HDTV support right out of the box. It would be retarded not to include it. When is the USA officially going HD? 2006? That's why I love the USA. FCC mandates regarding good shit like HD.

PS- WTF happened to my pics! I will fix them..fxxk.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

i also have the HD kit and it looks great on my hdtv. Tonyhawk underground is 1080i