Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Guitar Hero 3

Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
does GH3 come w/ free LSD or something?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
What sucks is that Guitar Hero 4 has already been confirmed, so downloaded content for GH3 will be slim to none.
You know they are coming out with a GH every year...
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
It wont be worth much - esp with Rock Band out.

Id keep it to occupy people who come over and want to play.
Well, most games aren't worth much once you buy them and play them... especially a game like this, but I'd rather sell it then have to keep that damn guitar around.

I'm not really worried about what I get for it. Also, so far in the over 2.5 years we've been here, this was the first time I've ever had someone over who played video games with me. Actually in NY that rarely happened as well. Most of my gaming with friends is online in sports games.. so keeping GH3 around really isn't a concern either
Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I still can't beat "Raining Blood" or whatever that Slayer song is on expert

Its the last one
Old 12-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beat it on easy last night.

Medium is going to be fun.

But I dont see how Im going to be able to get my little girl hands to reach the orange button.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
I beat it on easy last night.

Medium is going to be fun.

But I dont see how Im going to be able to get my little girl hands to reach the orange button.
Just like in real guitar, You just need to slide your hands up the 'fretboard'.
You could win a lot of songs with just three fingers, for example, if you are
willing to move your hand around a lot.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Just curious but what difficulty are you playing on? I have only done Medium on GH2, so I have a long way before I'll get tired of GH2, but I'm supposedly getting a bonus today, so depending on how big it is, I may pick up GH3 tonight
Medium, but tried hard (which really is damn hard). But it's just the same songs over and over, just with different button combinations.... so I can see it losing it's appeal quickly...
Old 12-17-2007, 02:28 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
Dueling Banjos

okay, I know this is from GH2, but I came across this vid looking for something else... just skip to about 2:00 into the video... it's quite impressive...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wfdgY5ZYDk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wfdgY5ZYDk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Medium, but tried hard (which really is damn hard). But it's just the same songs over and over, just with different button combinations.... so I can see it losing it's appeal quickly...
If the song is designed well, then the higher level difficulty, it should feel more like you are playing the actual song, which is why it should keep its interest. If you like playing an instrument, that is.

Even with DDR - step charts aren't randomly made. There's a world of difference between playing a hard song tha is well designed, and a chaotic one that is just random steps all over the place. The latter isn't fun at all.

I play a real instrument, and the appeal of playing a song I love doesn't really go away - although I suppose it's a different kind of enjoyment once you learn a song well.

One of the gripes I've heard on GH3 is that for some songs the difficulty is artificially generated. Meaning it doesn't follow the song exactly, but notes are added/shifted around to make the song harder.

Side note: Guitar Hero III's guitar parts are signifigantly harder than Rock Band's guitar parts. Rock Band is closer to GH II, but I think it's slightly easier than GH II too.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,255 Likes on 5,219 Posts
9 yr old with some mad skills

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=421642
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Any watch Yahtzee's review on Zero Punctuation...?
yep I saw it. Funny stuff.

LOL @ You need three arms or a trained spider to play on expert.

I got the game for Christmas actually my mom ordered the wrong one from Amazon so she told me to just go to Best Buy to get another one and I would send the PS2 one back. Well I went to 4 stores (Best Buy, Target, GameStop, and CompUSA) and none of them had it. I was about to give it up until something told me to go to the "other" side of town and low and behold WalMart and GameStop in that area had plenty. I choose to get it from GameStop.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 12-27-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Race Director

i still want to get this, although i've never played any of the other guitar hero games before.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
i still want to get this, although i've never played any of the other guitar hero games before.
I haven't play any of them either. This was my first, def go get it, its really fun.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KLepTo
I haven't play any of them either. This was my first, def go get it, its really fun.
I got hooked on the GHIII demo a few months ago and went out and got GHII since I knew I would be getting GHIII for Christmas. The game didn't seem like it would be very fun until I started playing it.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i want it but can't find it right now. at least with the guitar bundle
Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Played it at ToysRUs today and must have it....
Old 12-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I must say the GH3 songs > GH2 songs.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Pro

ok bought it, wednesday night, beat easy in 4hours, but not looking forward to medium and hard levels.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro

I play on Medium in GH3 and Rock Band. Just hard enough to be a challenge, not so hard that you fail everything.

I've been dabbling with hard here and there.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Medium is really not that bad if you just want to beat the songs. But if you want to get 5 stars on all songs, that will take some work.

I beat Tom Morello on Hard, and got through the "Paint it Black" encore on hard, but the next group of songs seem very hard. The orange button makes it harder to begin with but when the notes start coming faster, it seems nearly impossible.

The only reason I'm even messing with hard is because it's the only level (other than Expert) that uses the orange button.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Yes, he did that

I just beat easy and I tried one song on Medium....let's just say blue is no longer my favourite colour
Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hard/Expert GH2 player here .. Wish I had my own 360 to play GH3 during school months, I've been having fun on Rock Band on my family's 360 during vacation. RB's guitar songs are definitely easier .. Full on Expert for Rock Band for me.

Anyone won any competitions with the GH series? I'm sure a lot of places have held tournaments .. My friend is Top 5 in the US for drums on Rock Band and the same guy got 1st place in a Guitar Hero 2 tourney a few months back. His bro got 3rd on the same tourney, and 2nd on another .. Sick players I tell ya.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, just returned the game this afternoon. It was fun and I was able to get up to hard... but I lost interest playing the same songs over and over... and once you get up to hard... some of the songs get frustrating and the game loses it's fun factor.

Still a great game and I recommend it to anyone considering it... but got my $90 back and will spend it elsewhere
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Angry Knights of Cydonia...IMPOSSIBLE!!

Knights of Cydonia is f*ckin impossible on hard!

I got through all the songs on Medium pretty easily, but now I have 7 songs left on Hard and I'm stuck on this damn song! I get up to 68% pretty easily, then I fail the song in the exact same spot.

3's and 7's gave me a lot of problems, but I finally got through it this morning. Practicing on on slower speeds helped a lot, but its just damn frustrating that I have to practice every damn song for 45 minutes on slow before I can pass finish a song now. Up until now I didn't have to practice any songs.

If I ever finish it on Hard, I won't even think about going to Expert, because there comes a point where a game becomes more frustrating than fun.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
failhard.

Putting together all the songs, downloaded/bonus/initial set .. that's a shitload of songs.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm stuck on that raining blood song on hard. After about a min, it starts well...raining down chords. [orange, blue, yellow, red] then [blue, yellow, red, green] over and over and super fast. I swear the 2nd string of notes starts before the first one ends, its ridiculously hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFB5y0CfYkU
FF to 1:10. thats the part for some reason it seems slower in that video
Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by klepto
I'm stuck on that raining blood song on hard. After about a min, it starts well...raining down chords. [orange, blue, yellow, red] then [blue, yellow, red, green] over and over and super fast. I swear the 2nd string of notes starts before the first one ends, its ridiculously hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFB5y0CfYkU
FF to 1:10. thats the part for some reason it seems slower in that video
It actually goes faster in real life?? If it does It looks like I will never get all the songs on hard. That is just ridiculous.

One thing I don't like about GHIII is that its just a lot of repetition on the hardest parts of the songs. Even on hard, GHII, didn't do that much repetition and even if there was repetition, it wasn't anything like GHIII. You HAVE to do Hammer Ons and Pull offs to get through songs on Hard. I kind of got it down, but I haven't quite mastered the techniques yet which is why I'm stuck on Knights of Cydonia.

I think I'll eventually get it, but damn Raining Blood looks like it's much much worse. I think my wife's cousin got all the songs on hard, but no way in hell I can move my fingers that fast. If it wasn't for him, and also seeing the video of someone five starring it (100% on top of that), I would say no one could do it.

And on Expert? Forget it, I don't even have to see what its like and I will still say its impossible.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

This guy Full Combos "Knights".....On EXPERT!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tti6T-c2EE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tti6T-c2EE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM
F1 cart racer

my buddy plays guitar, and i guess the guitar in GH is basically the same function of how a real guitar works....idk. something crazy like that. well he picks up GH3 in a store and plays it on expert and practically every time he gets 95% on it. we went to 3 stores and every store he played it at he had a high score on it. he bought GH3, and beat it on expert in about a day. the kid is sick.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Yeah I'm sure playing guitar helps a LOT, but so does reading music. I play drums, and have been reading music for years, so the first time I played I could get a bunch of the songs on medium, but that orange button on hard kicks my ass
Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AS3.0CL
my buddy plays guitar, and i guess the guitar in GH is basically the same function of how a real guitar works....idk. something crazy like that. well he picks up GH3 in a store and plays it on expert and practically every time he gets 95% on it. we went to 3 stores and every store he played it at he had a high score on it. he bought GH3, and beat it on expert in about a day. the kid is sick.
my friend used to play real guitar and he can only do GH on med
Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Yeah I'm sure playing guitar helps a LOT, but so does reading music. I play drums, and have been reading music for years, so the first time I played I could get a bunch of the songs on medium, but that orange button on hard kicks my ass
I never thought about that; I also am able to read music and I play the piano, and used to play the cello and violin. I don't know if that's the reason I found Medium to be pretty easy, but I was able to zoom through Medium in a few hours total over the course of three days.

However the jump from Medium to Hard is unreal on these last few songs. I was able to get through the first 33 songs on Hard without much trouble, but had some issues with 3's and 7's and now Knights of Cydonia, which I STILL haven't beat. I guess when I get home today I'm going to just practice the section I always lose the song on. The orange button is the problem, especially when the notes start coming fast. I have no problem moving my hand to get to and from the orange, its just the speed that gets me.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TommySalami
One of the basic skills of real guitar (or any stringed instrument really) is
sliding up and down the fretboard to reach higher notes. That's one big help,
and makes the orange button business as usual.

It's VERY obvious who has some basic music ability by watching them play any
music rhythm game. They can play notes on the beat (maybe), but when they start getting notes on half or quarter beats, they freak out. Those who have had a music background recognize eighth and sixteenth notes and just calmly play on. Same thing happens with drums, guitar, DDR, whatever.....

It makes me think that it's a very good idea to have your child learn an instrument - any instrument. It's surprisingly useful to be able to recognize/keep a beat in real life.

- Frank
Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
This guy Full Combos "Knights".....On EXPERT!!
Nuts, but odd. Check out around 3:00... it seems like he's hardly "strumming" the guitar, after you hear him mashing it seconds earlier, yet he's hitting all of the notes. Then around 3:59 he starts "strumming" it like crazy again. Makes no sense...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nuts, but odd. Check out around 3:00... it seems like he's hardly "strumming" the guitar, after you hear him mashing it seconds earlier, yet he's hitting all of the notes. Then around 3:59 he starts "strumming" it like crazy again. Makes no sense...
He's in star power mode, so it's hard to tell, but there is a concept of
"Hammer on/Hammer offs' where for a hammer sequence, you only need to
strum the first note of the sequence, as long as you get the rest of the notes.

It's a normal (real) guitar technique.

- Frank
Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
He's in star power mode, so it's hard to tell, but there is a concept of
"Hammer on/Hammer offs' where for a hammer sequence, you only need to
strum the first note of the sequence, as long as you get the rest of the notes.

It's a normal (real) guitar technique.

- Frank
I figured that out by accident but you have to pay attention to where you try to use that method, it doesn't always work... if the notes are in very fast succession then you'll be alright with a fast hit and moving your fingers real fast on the keys...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I played this game in length for the first time today.

Where has it been all my life? It was GH3, and I couldn't beleive how deep you get into the songs, it's amazing.

Really really entertaining game for sure.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

I'm giving it up too...

... but I lost interest playing the same songs over and over... and once you get up to hard... some of the songs get frustrating and the game loses it's fun factor....

I finally beat Knights of Cydonia on hard and had little trouble with Cult of Personality.

But out of the final teir of songs, only one I can play. The rest are impossible ("Raining blood", "One", etc) unless I have 239,472,349 hours to spend playing the same song over and over again. No thanks. The game is just to hard to really enjoy it anymore. It looks like I'll be going back to GHII where I will try to five star all the songs on hard and try my luck at Expert.

The developers must have been stoning to think people would actually enjoy the unreasonable difficulty of hard. "Hard" on this game should actually be expert, and "Expert" should be ludicrous.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 01-20-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 AM
failhard.

When the songs get too hard for you to even eye-read, it's time to put it down until a party comes by ..
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Ive still been playing on and off, just to basically listen to the songs and what not.

I let my dad have a shot at it after watching a Jags game and he rocked out. Hilarious.

Quick Reply: Guitar Hero 3