Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Are Celeron M and Pentium M cpu's Centrino'fied?

Old 12-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I have the need for speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Celeron M and Pentium M cpu's Centrino'fied?

I'm in the market for a new laptop and mostly all the ones on sale are Celeron M or Pentium M cpu based. I know the differences between a Celeron and Pentium are cache, which doesn't matter to me. But I'm curious to know if the "M" also means that its a Centrino. So will a Celeron M cpu capable of being a Centrino'fied laptop?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:31 AM
4dr & I like it that way

Originally Posted by jcl_cls01
I'm in the market for a new laptop and mostly all the ones on sale are Celeron M or Pentium M cpu based. I know the differences between a Celeron and Pentium are cache, which doesn't matter to me. But I'm curious to know if the "M" also means that its a Centrino. So will a Celeron M cpu capable of being a Centrino'fied laptop?
I'm not too sure what you mean by "Centrino'fied" so I'll break down exactly what Centrino and its various components are.

Centrino = PentiumM + Intel Chipset(855 or 854 I believe) + Intel WiFi card. Centrino is simply the brand name Intel has come up with for the combination of these 3 parts.

now what happens if you have a wifi card from someone other than intel? Well then your laptop cant be called a "centrino" but who cares? Intel does not have the most robust wifi solution so often times its actually better to not have a "centrino" but a pentium-m laptop + 3rd party wifi.

if you care about battery life, only concern yourself with getting a pentium-m based laptop, centrino or not. if you want better performance while still having good battery life, look at a mobile athlon64. id stay away from p4 laptops if I were you.

oh and the current pentium-m (the Dothan revision) has 4x the l2 cache as the celeron-m (2mb vs 512k). you should care about this as there will be an appreciable difference in performance between the 2.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Davediego
I'm not too sure what you mean by "Centrino'fied" so I'll break down exactly what Centrino and its various components are.

Centrino = PentiumM + Intel Chipset(855 or 854 I believe) + Intel WiFi card. Centrino is simply the brand name Intel has come up with for the combination of these 3 parts.

now what happens if you have a wifi card from someone other than intel? Well then your laptop cant be called a "centrino" but who cares? Intel does not have the most robust wifi solution so often times its actually better to not have a "centrino" but a pentium-m laptop + 3rd party wifi.

if you care about battery life, only concern yourself with getting a pentium-m based laptop, centrino or not. if you want better performance while still having good battery life, look at a mobile athlon64. id stay away from p4 laptops if I were you.

oh and the current pentium-m (the Dothan revision) has 4x the l2 cache as the celeron-m (2mb vs 512k). you should care about this as there will be an appreciable difference in performance between the 2.
I am teh :nerd:
Old 12-28-2004, 04:16 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by Davediego

Yeah, what he said.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:00 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Originally Posted by VijaySinghisKing
I am teh :nerd: