Launch technique...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Launch technique...

OK, so I'm curious as to the best way to launch. I am under the impression that you power up to around 3K rpms with the tranny in D3 and the brakes on. (Both feet)? Then when 1st raps out, go to D2, then D3 and D4. I just want to know if I have the launch part right. I don't want to eat my second transmission. wilp99 has posted many race stories that tout the fact that a good launch is the key. So, somebody chime in and tell me if I am on the right track. If not, what is a good start rpm? I am very conserned about damging the transmission. As of yet, I have never floored or launched the car off the line. Usually come off the line at around 1/2 throttle, which is sometimes not a good way to start. I've had some good rolling kills, but off the line, I've had my ass handed to me a couple of times. Please offer advice if you have it.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you driving the 1gen or 2gen?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by racersky
are you driving the 1gen or 2gen?
1st gen...
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ajtcl
OK, so I'm curious as to the best way to launch. I am under the impression that you power up to around 3K rpms with the tranny in D3 and the brakes on. (Both feet)? Then when 1st raps out, go to D2, then D3 and D4. I just want to know if I have the launch part right. I don't want to eat my second transmission. wilp99 has posted many race stories that tout the fact that a good launch is the key. So, somebody chime in and tell me if I am on the right track. If not, what is a good start rpm? I am very conserned about damging the transmission. As of yet, I have never floored or launched the car off the line. Usually come off the line at around 1/2 throttle, which is sometimes not a good way to start. I've had some good rolling kills, but off the line, I've had my ass handed to me a couple of times. Please offer advice if you have it.
Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas. Apply moderate throttle and just enough brake to hold the car still while bringing up the revs. I don't know the stall RPM in the 1st gen, but basically take it up as high as you can. On green, immediately let go of the brake, and dig into throttle. Keep your senses open for wheelspin -- if you're spinning, then adjust throttle input accordingly. If you're not spinning, then bury the pedal.

Now the tricky part is when you are spinning off the line, how much you should back off on the throttle. If you are spinning a lot, then you need to let off the throttle just a little bit to regain traction. If you're spinning only a little bit, then just keep going and the tires will gain traction on their own.

It's hard to describe in words; you need to go practice and feel it for yourself.

By the way, don't brake-torque too much. Otherwise it's bye-bye torque converter.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And remember what ever you do when your Torque Braking don't hold the rev no longer than 3-5 seconds at the most. When doing this launching technique stated by Pure Adrenaline keep in mind your boiling your transmission fluid. When something boils at a high temperature so long somethings gonna give.