Would you buy a RX8? Help me find a car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a RX8? Help me find a car

My fiancee is graduating and getting a job in the summer so we're planning to get her a new car sometime then. Since it'll eventually be my car as well, I want her to get something I approve of.

My requirement is that her car not be like my car, no 4 door family sedans. Being spoiled by my TSX, I pretty much require any new car to have HID, heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirror... I couldn't live w/o them now.

Her 1st choice in a Benz C230 b/c she likes the brand and weird hatchback sedans. Considering its infinitely inferior in quality, price and performance I've vetod it.

her 2nd choice is a Mini Cooper S. This is probably my favorite because its very sporty, good for racing, and looks pretty cool. She likes it b/c all girls think its cute, and its supercharged, but she sat in one and felt it wouldn't be all that safe in an accident. The price is right, even with options, but she's not too high on it.

A thought was a Mazda 3 S. We drove them at Mazda Rev It Up and they're fun like the TSX, but its 4 doors, and they're a little to civicish even though you can load it with options.

We're seriously considering the RX8. We test drove one and even though its undrepowered, its a blast to drive. Decent interior, but amazing room for a coupe. Very practical for that type of car, but I priced one at $32,840 with the Grand Touring Package plus some other options. That's pretty expensive compared to my TSX. She likes it a lot, but I somewhat worry about safety in the winter here even though she's a good driver and we'll learn RWD racing.

And last my choice, but not big for her, a new S2000. No options, but everything I want for $33000. Its incredibly impractical however, the thing flat out has no room. We don't have kids, nor plan to, but I think it might be hard to live w/ day to day. And possibly to save on price, we could go for a used one, but the 2004's changes are so nice compared to the older ones (wheels, gearing, body refresh)

any opinions on those cars or others that would be fun?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Of your choices I'd probably go for the Cooper S. I'm really not big on the RX-8 for some reason.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
get the s2000 and if she doesnt like it you can take that and give her the TSX...its a fair trade...i love my TSX but if the S2000 was more practical for me and if i didnt have to worry about the winter i would be sold....maybe i will get a used one to toy with some day...
Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'd go with a s2000 and then the mini cooper S, but if you are also factoring in the safety factor of each vehicle, then it's a different ballgame. especially the way people in the dc metro area drive. also, i'm not sure how the RX-8 build quality/long term reliability stacks up against the s2000 either; just some other things to consider...

good luck with your decision, let us know how it goes!!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is for the S2000.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:59 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for...........a TSX !!!

I tried to convince my wife to take my 5AT so that I could buy the 6MT which I regretted not getting in the first place because she doesn't know how to drive a manual, but she insisted on a SUV. The compromises one must make in life....

Seriously though, if you insist on a coupe - I'd take a strong look at g35.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by PistonFan
Sounds like you're looking for...........a TSX !!!

I tried to convince my wife to take my 5AT so that I could buy the 6MT which I regretted not getting in the first place because she doesn't know how to drive a manual, but she insisted on a SUV. The compromises one must make in life....

Seriously though, if you insist on a coupe - I'd take a strong look at g35.
seriously, to me the TSX is the perfect car, unfortunately i don't want 2, I need a little variety. And I think the G35 would break the bank, although she loves it.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:34 PM
cmf
ATCer

I would say no on the RX-8 only cause it looks gay w/ the rear door.
I would say S2K, and why do you not consider the RSX-S. Plenty of power and performance parts out there.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by cmf
I would say no on the RX-8 only cause it looks gay w/ the rear door.
I would say S2K, and why do you not consider the RSX-S. Plenty of power and performance parts out there.
The RX8 door does seem lame at first, but if you sit in one you'd be amazed how much room it adds to the car. and personally I'm not a RSX fan, and neither is she, I like the TSX much much better
Old 12-02-2004, 10:58 PM
cmf
ATCer

How about the Scion TC. Those are small and nice little cars. Just throwing out ideas.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cmf
How about the Scion TC. Those are small and nice little cars. Just throwing out ideas.

test drove one this past weekend and LOVED it... but no HID's
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Subie Tech

1) S2K
2) Cooper S

But if I had the money and options, it would be a 2005 Z. Or STi or EVO but no HIDs and you don't want 4dr.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Subie Tech

Or you can buy this

Old 12-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Old fart

^^whoa!!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Old fart

how bout a Toyota Celica GT-S?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Funny, I just test drove an RX-8 the other day. I am retiring from motorcycling and selling three bikes, so I was thinking about getting something a little spicier than my TSX. The RX-8 just didn't do it for me. I love the exterior styling and the concept of having a lot more space than a traditional "sports car". I personally did not fit well in the car. I kept hitting my head on the roof in front of the B-pillar/door seam. I am six foot tall and with my seat adjusted to fit me, there is very little room behind me. The rotary that is supposed to be so smooth, did not seem as smooth as my TSX. The shifter had a lot of vibration as well. Also, I'm pretty sure you are aware of this, but these things are thirsty. Most people are struggling to get 19 MPG on the highway. Keep a sharp eye on the oil level. They will use some.
It was a neat car but it just did not do it for me. In fact, I have also been looking at a BMW 330Ci with the M Motorsport package. I like this car very much but then I ask myself, Do I really like it $19,000 more than my Acura. The answer is no. Every car I have driven has just help me realize that I bought the right car for me. I plan to keep it an put some nice wheels and a few other mods. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these cars on her list (except maybe the Benz, I hear they are having many quality problems right now.) I wouldn't worry about safety in the Mini. Those things are little tanks. I saw one that had been hit hard by a large truck and rolled. There was no passenger area intrusion and the driver walked away. Sorry to ramble and good luck with your search.

Craig
Old 12-03-2004, 12:24 AM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by DEI99662
My vote is for the S2000.
me too~
Old 12-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US

test drove one this past weekend and LOVED it... but no HID's
Only $600 for aftermarket ones. I also liked that car. It looks like the C240, but better.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Master in Science

How about the Lexus IS 300?

I know it has 4 doors, but I think it looks pretty spiffy. And should be very reliable.

My brother was considering the RX8, until I broke it to him that he was not going to make anywhere as much as he thought with a job (he graduates in May). Out of $60k/yr, I barely get $30k after taxes. Add housing, food, gas, insurance, dates, etc. and there's very little left for a $30K car (he expected to pay cash).

Another option is the new GTI V. Only comes out next year and will look very nice. Reliability is iffy, though.

And there's the Audi A3, which also comes out soon. I've heard great things about this car. A friend of mine has 2 in Brazil. He totalled one once, and it held very well -- walked away w/o a scratch. My
Old 12-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Suzuka Master

xizor, if you go with the S2000, check out this forum, it is one of the largest ones I know of:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/
Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

No Sti, Evo, they're not classy enough for her, she's they're kiddy cars IS300 is inferior to the TSX so that's a no no. I'll test drive a tC, and see how that is

I looked up some used car prices and 2004 S2000 prices are pretty decent, much more palatable than a new 2005. I'd just have to figure out how to live w/ one.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Finally out of Kentucky

Originally Posted by xizor
We're seriously considering the RX8. . .And last my choice, but not big for her, a new S2000.
Here's something to consider. . .

Check out www.carmax.com and take a look how many new RX8s and S2000s are available. Try to think why. Just something to consider. I think you'll know my answer.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
IS300 is inferior to the TSX so that's a no no.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Of those, the Cooper S definitely sounds like the closest to what you're looking for.

The S2000 is really really impractical, which is why I could never live with it as my only car. It definitely is a second car type of car. But it's so much fun to drive.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Instructor

S2000 > RX8 but damn the s2000 hard top is expensive!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I remember reading an article (I think it was consumer reports) stating that the Mini's were not known for it's reliability too.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Drifting

S2000!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSXforme
I remember reading an article (I think it was consumer reports) stating that the Mini's were not known for it's reliability too.
Yes my parents had a 2002 Mini Cooper (non S) and it was the most unreliable car ever. The dealer would never fix the problems right and it was constantly throwing all error codes possible.. the airbags needed to be replaced 2x (no accidents) just to turn off those lights. Random things stopped working and the hatch broke. Now that its just out of warranty and everything works, they are selling it... after they bought a TSX of course

I'd say a big no on the Mini...
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Jewdacris!!

S2000 or Mini out of that list...although i like that suggestion some one made of the Z. And if you can afford it that G35C is still really nice. I Know VW has had some probs, but what about a R32 or something along those lines.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe an R32... or if you want to stay in the Honda "family", give a Honda Accord Coupe a look.. seems like a good value but i dont know if you consider that a "family car".. good luck
Old 12-03-2004, 11:20 PM
White and Nerdy

Here are my thoughts -

Dunnno about the RX, looks cool, C&D liked it...thats about all I know. I would wonder about the reliability, and I think the gas milage sucks (if that matters to you).

A good friend at work has a G35 and loves it...EXCEPT that she says that its a very poor winter car. She says that it does not do well in the snow. She has the RWD version (I would assume that the AWD versions are better, but they are more money, too). If weather is an issue in your area, and it sounds like it is, I would try to go with a FWD or AWD car.

Don't trade safety for fun. Not a pleasant topic, I realize, but car accidents are a big cause of injury for people our age, and even though you/her may be a good driver, there are just too many bozos out there. Get something safe. I would be very queasy about smaller vehicles likes the mini and the s2000. I just can't believe that they would have high survivability in an accident, especially with a larger vehicle.

A few vehicles that came to mind. I don't know if they appeal to you/her, but here goes:

Volkswagen (various models, incl. VW bug convertible w/turbo!)
The New Ford Mustang (would love to test drive one, if nothing else)
Toyota (Celica, Solara, MR2)
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Subaru WRX

One last thing...take it or leave it, but once you are married, take it from me, its awfully nice to have a pickup or something that can haul large things (big screen TV's, lumber, dirt bike, furniture, the mother-in-law, etc), and 4WD is nice in the winter. A nice 4WD truck, perhaps? Its nice to have one vehicle that can haul ass and another than can haul anyting else! Just a thought!

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
A few vehicles that came to mind. I don't know if they appeal to you/her, but here goes:

Mitsubishi Eclipse
Subaru WRX

One last thing...take it or leave it, but once you are married, take it from me, its awfully nice to have a pickup or something that can haul large things (big screen TV's, lumber, dirt bike, furniture, the mother-in-law, etc), and 4WD is nice in the winter. A nice 4WD truck, perhaps? Its nice to have one vehicle that can haul ass and another than can haul anyting else! Just a thought!

Good luck!
She wants something a little classy as well as sporty, so celica, wrx, eclipse don't fit in there. I agree on the FWD/AWD, I don't want her to learn RWD on a daily driver. I starting to think she should just get a small SUV, like a RAV4 or something. I tried to sell her on a Pilot or CRV but she wouldn't bite.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 AM
cmf
ATCer

I think the Pilots are pretty cool, but my wife won't have it either.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Racer

1. S2000 with Mugen CF hardtop
2. is300
Old 12-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Here are my thoughts -

Dunnno about the RX, looks cool, C&D liked it...thats about all I know. I would wonder about the reliability, and I think the gas milage sucks (if that matters to you).

A good friend at work has a G35 and loves it...EXCEPT that she says that its a very poor winter car. She says that it does not do well in the snow. She has the RWD version (I would assume that the AWD versions are better, but they are more money, too). If weather is an issue in your area, and it sounds like it is, I would try to go with a FWD or AWD car.

Don't trade safety for fun. Not a pleasant topic, I realize, but car accidents are a big cause of injury for people our age, and even though you/her may be a good driver, there are just too many bozos out there. Get something safe. I would be very queasy about smaller vehicles likes the mini and the s2000. I just can't believe that they would have high survivability in an accident, especially with a larger vehicle.

Mitsubishi Eclipse
Subaru WRX

Good luck!
With today traction control and stability control, a set of good snow tire is more than enough for every1 to drive safe with a RWD on snow.

I love the look of RX8 but heard they still need more work on the relability side. Since you dun have kids yet and you already have a very practical tsx, so let's enjoy the S2000, the only car in the market that is better than tsx IMO.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Race Director

Cooper S
Old 12-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Racer

If you go with the S2k get a set of tires that warm up fast in colder weather. I had my dads 03 S2k out last winter and gave it some gas and the back end came out really fast. The same night I was on the my way home after driving the car around for a little, came to a green light to make a left turn and the back end started to slide around.

Very nice car though.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:12 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Hmm....am I the only one who would vote for the RX-8? I like the S2000 too, but I'd prefer more room. It's got the features you're looking for. Since I haven't read up on these cars that much, I'm not exactly sure on the quality.

Since you mention racing, I'd throw this out for your consideration. In 2005, all S2000's are going to A-stock. This might not concern you if you decide to buy a post-04 S2000 since they're already in A-stock. However, since the pre-04 S2000's are going to A-stock, this opens the door to many cars in B-stock to be competitive, and I think the RX-8 could be one of them.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Instructor

" One last thing...take it or leave it, but once you are married, take it from me, its awfully nice to have a pickup or something that can haul large things (big screen TV's, lumber, dirt bike, furniture, the mother-in-law, etc)" from Godwhacker.

Big screen TV, lumber, dirt bike, furniture = the mother-in-law! LOL!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:46 PM

i would get a used s2k...i've been looking at some myself
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=109

this one actually sold for 18.5k in your area...01 w/48k miles

Quick Reply: Would you buy a RX8? Help me find a car