AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   Why Acura is better than POS Mercedes... (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/why-acura-better-than-pos-mercedes-753549/)

03TL_S 11-24-2009 03:19 PM

Why Acura is better than POS Mercedes...

My fiance has an o5 C240 sedan with 62k on it. She has followed EVERY service interval and paid the ridiculous dealer fees for the service. About a year ago, she hears a noise from the front end...CONTROL ARMS are worn and right rear shock...$770.00 (at 51k miles).
Then 3 months later, the sunroof wont close so i had to use the allen key in my glove box to shut it, and told her to stop using it.
Last week, the radio quits working, and A/C wont work until u switch the knob to position 2.
Then Sunday it wont start....(ooh heres the good part)
Has it towed to Brumos Mercedes of Jacksonville.
The culprit...ALTERNATOR..($540.00 w.o Labor!)
AND THEN THEY SAY THE REAR MAIN SEAL IS LEAKING!!!?!??! WTF! $1500.00
(not fixing the rear main btw):annoyed:
What a fking piece of shit. Ive been telling her for months trade it for a TL or TSX...well now after this shit, we are dumping it in a few months for an Acura.
How can a car that was so well maintained, lady driven, i mean VERY gently, have all these excessive ridiculous problems?
First off I know Chrysler parts found their way into this vehicle during the late 90's. What a goddamn waste of money. They call these "premium luxury cars." I knew mercedes were POS, but now its confirmed first hand that i will tell everyone and their children to never buy these terrible German made machines. Ive had several old Legends with 200k + miles.. NONE had these issues. NONE.
Moral: I Love my Acura TL, and soon she will be driving one.
I have Hondas and Acuras and my mom drives an 01 ES300 that has NEVER had a problem.
oh and FUCK MERCEDES and all those German crack heads putting them together over there. I hope they fail miserably. What a joke!!!
Just spreading the word!!! THANKYOU!

Izzy-Type-S 11-24-2009 03:24 PM

My pops kept me from buying a BMW since his boss who owned a 3 series was driving a loaner car at least once a month. I've had three TLs with ZERO maintenance. My 2nd gen TL needed a trans at $95k...covered by acura care.

03TL_S 11-24-2009 03:29 PM

did i mention i am supercharged, drove the hell out of this car for almost 60k/ 3 1/2 years and have had ZERO issues??..

cjTL 11-24-2009 03:33 PM

My mom has an 08 C350 and my dad has an 07 GL450 and neither have been in for irregular service. The C-class is built in either a plant in South Africa or a plant in Germany and rumor has it vehicles from the South Africa plant have more problems. I call BS. Sorry to hear about her car...really sounds like a mess. I've heard of many problems with the w203. A 2010 TSX would suit her well...

BradE 11-24-2009 03:34 PM

Welcome to german cars. I had a BMW before the TL-S, something was always going wrong with it. I was lucky, it was under warranty, but that car was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I will NEVER own a german car again. The driving dynamics don't mean a damn thing when the car is in the shop constantly.

Ever since the merger Benz has gone down the drain. It's a shame, I remember the SEL series cars in the late 80's and early 90's, those things were beasts. 200k miles was just getting broken in.

Jerseyjoe23 11-24-2009 03:34 PM

My boss has a 2005 s500 at least 2 grand every time he goes to service and his navi sucks

Sarlacc 11-24-2009 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 03TL_S (Post 11517384)
did i mention i am supercharged, drove the hell out of this car for almost 60k/ 3 1/2 years and have had ZERO issues??..

How does comparing the reliability of your engine have anything to do with the rest of the car? I didnt see any mention of the mercs engine taking a dump :dunno:

03TL_S 11-24-2009 03:52 PM

The engine doesn't mean sh*t if the electronic components around it fail to START IT!

Crazy Bimmer 11-24-2009 04:02 PM

OMG!!!1!!one!!!1!!!

fsttyms1 11-24-2009 04:03 PM

To play devils advocate, i have seen the same amount of issues from acura/lexus so to say one is that much better than the other isnt a acurate or fare statement.

KaMLuNg 11-24-2009 04:11 PM

had an 03 240 4matic... traded it in for an 07 TL a few thousand miles before the 50k mi warranty was up... i couldn't stand it in the 3 yrs we owned it, was in the shop for failed abs system, failed transfer case (grinding on turns), and dead pixels on the radio...

since having the TL tho, i have also experienced a failed ABS/VSA system at ~30k mi... but nothing else major except dead battery... we will see how the TL holds up... but it is worlds diff than my 1GTL which is 11 yrs old, 150k mi without any major hiccups (knock on wood) Made in Japan > Made in Ohio :2cents:

iTimmy 11-24-2009 04:25 PM

Buying a car is a crap shoot sometimes, all manufacturers have a clunker from time to time. That said it seems you are more likely to get a pile-o-shit from a German or American company then from their Asian counterparts.

JS + XES 11-24-2009 04:26 PM

meh, it's your fault of not convincing her enough to trade it in.

j/k

sorry for the messy situation

Costco 11-24-2009 04:26 PM

It doesn't matter where it's made. If it was Made in Japan but designed by a bunch of college dropouts who have no experience in car manufacturing then it doesn't mean jack that it's made in Japan. What matters is how it's designed and the quality of its parts. Location may have an affect on quality control but aside from that...

Just a theory I've heard from some experienced techs in the industry, but a lot of German cars are designed to be great when new. Meant to extract the most performance and quality in the short term, with not much in mind with regards to longevity. Kinda makes sense :dunno:

JS + XES 11-24-2009 04:27 PM

and at least mercedes don't recall its cars to fix the floormats.

gatrhumpy 11-24-2009 04:34 PM

Every manufacturer will have their lemons. Granted some manufacturers will have a greater chance for a lemon, but MB is not isolated in this regard.

tmnhs81 11-24-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg (Post 11517579)
had an 03 240 4matic... traded it in for an 07 TL a few thousand miles before the 50k mi warranty was up... i couldn't stand it in the 3 yrs we owned it, was in the shop for failed abs system, failed transfer case (grinding on turns), and dead pixels on the radio...

since having the TL tho, i have also experienced a failed ABS/VSA system at ~30k mi... but nothing else major except dead battery... we will see how the TL holds up... but it is worlds diff than my 1GTL which is 11 yrs old, 150k mi without any major hiccups (knock on wood) Made in Japan > Made in Ohio :2cents:

1G TL>all newer TL's....:tomato:

dallison 11-24-2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by JS + TL (Post 11517633)

with a chicken tie

Sarlacc 11-24-2009 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1 (Post 11517544)
To play devils advocate, i have seen the same amount of issues from acura/lexus so to say one is that much better than the other isnt a acurate or fare statement.

ding ding ding

GIBSON6594 11-24-2009 06:01 PM

My 335 can break down if it wants. The joy it gives me when I mash the pedal more than makes up for it. It's a joy that no Honda or Acura can give me.

trancemission 11-24-2009 06:06 PM

Saying Acura is better then Merc is quite a bold statement..

Everyone that has a bad experience will say the manufacturer sucks....

Go visit problems and fixes in 3G......lotta happy fuckers in there

03TL_S 11-24-2009 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 11517851)
ding ding ding

ok, well I AM making a bold statement and will back it up by saying we all know how much cheaper it is to repair a japanese car than a car made by some dude in deutsland

Sarlacc 11-24-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 03TL_S (Post 11518185)
ok, well I AM making a bold statement and will back it up by saying we all know how much cheaper it is to repair a japanese car than a car made by some dude in deutsland

ever owned a Lexus?

keep failin

03TL_S 11-24-2009 09:01 PM

That thang gawt a hemmmy mannn?

Sarlacc 11-24-2009 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03TL_S (Post 11518341)
That thang gawt a hemmmy mannn?

Is this some sort of an attempt an insult?

When I said keep on failin I meant quit while youre ahead...not literally keep failin.

wow.

iTimmy 11-24-2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 03TL_S (Post 11518185)

Not everyone is motivated by the same things when it comes to purchasing a car, for many people it is a very emotional experience and certain things like reliability are less important. To say your method of judging a car is the only right way is naive, we are all different and have different needs and wants, thankfully there are plenty of excellent choices out there to suit most all of our desires.

Not that I disagree with you, but I can appreciate and understand why someone may prefer a German car or an American car to an Asian car.

YeuEmMaiMai 11-24-2009 11:56 PM

My acura has caused me more problems than any previous car. It has also been properly maintained.

Costco 11-25-2009 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by iTimmy (Post 11518507)
Not everyone is motivated by the same things when it comes to purchasing a car, for many people it is a very emotional experience and certain things like reliability are less important. To say your method of judging a car is the only right way is naive, we are all different and have different needs and wants, thankfully there are plenty of excellent choices out there to suit most all of our desires.

Not that I disagree with you, but I can appreciate and understand why someone may prefer a German car or an American car to an Asian car.

I could not agree any more :thumbsup:

For someone like me, it's hard to guess what my next car will be. I'm lucky I'm pretty easy-going and I like everything.

n1njai 11-25-2009 03:21 AM

Agree with you. My pops bought my mom a E320 when it first came out, the newer generation, 2002-2003. Got the warranty for it, went in for regular maintenance, babied, everything. After the warranty ended problems just started coming up. Signal lights were dying, locking mechanism was all effed up, AC was leaking, etc. Seems to be a recurring problem in the Mercedes world. After the warranty is up, problems just start popping up. Must be a business trick.......

Sclass88 11-25-2009 08:07 AM

While German automakers certainly have their bouts of problems with their vehicles, no automaker is perfect. Though Honda/Toyota are generally known for making troublefree cars, there are sometimes lemons and unfortunately for your girlfriend, she got stuck with a sour one. Here's to her finding a reliable car :cheers:

iTimmy 11-25-2009 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco (Post 11518999)
I could not agree any more :thumbsup:

For someone like me, it's hard to guess what my next car will be. I'm lucky I'm pretty easy-going and I like everything.

I am exactly the same way, one day I'm looking at Mustangs, the next day I'm looking at a 335d, the following day I'm checking out a G37 vert, and so on....

KaMLuNg 11-25-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai (Post 11518805)
My acura has caused me more problems than any previous car. It has also been properly maintained.

2G TL/CL glass tranny FTL...

alexSU 11-25-2009 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by trancemission (Post 11517910)
saying acura is better then merc is quite a bold statement..

everyone that has a bad experience will say the manufacturer sucks....

go visit problems and fixes in 3g......lotta happy fuckers in there

+1

Moog-Type-S 11-25-2009 11:24 AM

:whyme: @ the op

Loseit 11-25-2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by JS + TL (Post 11517633)

:rofl:

03bl AC k CL 11-25-2009 01:24 PM

ive owned a 2000 maxima that was the biggest POS in terms of reliability. however, i would still own another one based on its reputation, and i can chalk my cars unreliability up to poor maintenance from the previous owner.

my 02 tl-s had its share of visits to the shop, yet i would still own another one because i loved the design, and i loved driving it.

however i did grow tired of the high mileage repairs of my cars so i leased an 09 altima. if you mind repairs, then just lease. that doesnt guarantee anything, but at least you dont have to live with the car for any long term amount of time and the risk of issues is greatly reduced. fwiw i will probably lease daily drivers from now on for the piece of mind it gives me. however, i would eventually like to own a fun weekend car.

TheMirror 11-25-2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by n1njai (Post 11519049)
Agree with you. My pops bought my mom a E320 when it first came out, the newer generation, 2002-2003. Got the warranty for it, went in for regular maintenance, babied, everything. After the warranty ended problems just started coming up. Signal lights were dying, locking mechanism was all effed up, AC was leaking, etc. Seems to be a recurring problem in the Mercedes world. After the warranty is up, problems just start popping up. Must be a business trick.......

That was right in the time period where Mercedes component suppliers were making life miserable for them. Things are better now supposedly.

pmptx 11-25-2009 02:38 PM

Don't remind me :tomato:

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg (Post 11519709)
2G TL/CL glass tranny FTL...

PortlandRL 11-25-2009 03:37 PM

Well I'm done with Lexus but that's another story.....

juniorbean 11-25-2009 04:09 PM

I've said it a ton of times before... but I'll say it again. Our Audi's have been more reliable then my Acura's were...

I also have a neighbor who has a C300 and a S550 Lorinzer and never has problems with either of them... and they're fairly high mileage at this point.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and everyone will form their own opinion based on their own experiences. Not to take away from your GF's experience, but that one experience does not mean Acura is better then Mercedes in any way in many other people's eyes...