Who thinks the Maxima should be discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who thinks the Maxima should be discontinued?

Does anyone else feel the same way?
When I first saw the car, it looked like a 4 dr 350z, but after seeing it again and again, the car doesn't seem practical, looks heavy, and is being overshadowed by the Altima.

The best Maximas were the early 90s, late 90s, and the 00-03 ones, the new ones aren't nice at all.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Never, always waws and will be a nice niche enthusiast car. I think it is damn sexy, but could not justify the $30k price tag....

With that said, I beleive it far outsells the TSX even after taking a backseat to the Altima.

I love my TSX, but the 04 Maxima gets unfairly bashed by the Honda/Acura folks........
Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 PM
04 remembrance

The Altima SE-R will definitely overshadow the Maxima, but I don't think it should be discontinued, rather it should be upgraded.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I test drove the new Maxima when shopping for cars, nothing special IMO, just an oversized car with an oversized engine.

Bland interior, lots of cool features (extending sunshade) but ugly design and bad materials. Very powerful V6 engine, but the car is a boat. It feels huge and it is. IMO it has a place, but barely as a Nissan since its reaches up to TL prices for no where near the comfort or luxury or handling.

IMO the problem w/ Nissan overall is that its lineup isn't all that logical. Their cars overlap in classes and prices.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Burning Brakes

if it sells decently why discontinue it? i mean acura has had a lame RL and NSX for like 6-7yrs now and didnt discontinue it, so i dont see why the maxima should be discontinued.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
As long as its selling then no they should'nt discontinue it. But that can be said for any car really.

In the case of the RL, I think Honda held onto to it for the sake of keeping the name out there. The eventually knew that they would be upgrading it with something far better and leaving a car that was doing nothing in terms of sales was the price to pay. Well that and the fact that they had nothing to replace it with.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm allergic to bull

Owned a 99 Maxima. It's fun to drive, has great BOSE stereo and smooth engine. Sometimes, I feel it's not much slower than my TSX. Then comes the 01-02 Maxima. Still great looking with powerful engine and 6-speed. Well, now we have 03-04 Maxima.

WTH is that 350Z-wanna-be design? It looks like a over-inflated 350Z which's been rear-ended. And the interior quality doesn't live up to the previous models (maybe cuz it's built in US).

The car doesnt overlap in classes though, cuz it's no longer in the same 4-door-sport seden catagory I think. I really hope Nissan can downsize the future model (but damn, it gonna overlap with Altima), then I'll consider buying it again.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Looking at the recently released Nissan sales figures the future of the Maxima ain't so bright. 47% drop in April sales from last year but still selling 6000/month (vs almost 16,000 Altimas).

Considering that Nissan will add the Cube at the bottom of the line up, increase the size of the Sentra, the Maxima just does not seem to fit in the long run.

It certainly won't get axed soon (anything selling 6000/mo will not be discontinued) but I'm not sure if there will be a new model after this one plays out.

The I35 is already in its last year.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro

The new Maxima is already being grabbed up by rental car companies; putting it in the same league with domestic poor-selling sedans like the Impala. I can understand the niche the Max fills; people that have 4-5 large passengers and want them to be comfortable, but don't want the handling of an SUV.

I'd take a Max over any of Detroit's cruisers if I wanted a land yatch. Although, it would be fun to buy a white Impala and watch everyone slow down whenever you pass.

Nissan invented the 'Four Door Sports Car' segment (that the TSX is in) with the original Maxima, and now they have ditched that philosphy and gone overpriced beached whale. If I was spending $30k on a Nissan, I'd be getting a damn G35.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I owned a 99 Maxima SE 5-speed. While I didn't much care for the exterior, the interior was well laid out, the car handled well, and was quite fast, and the most well-built car (initial quality) I ever owned -- not a single trip back to the shop, ever.

Too bad I totalled it after less than a year.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

A friend of mine has a 04 Maxima and loves it. I can't imagine why. She lives on South St. in Philly and has to parallel park that monster wherever she goes. The solution? She doesn't drive it except to visit NJ.

IMO Nissan is canabalizing the Max with the expansion of the Altima line, but if it still sells, why not make it? I'd be in a G35 myself before a Maxima.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I agree with everyone who says Nissan should upgrade the Maxima, not discontinue it.

Like how Toyota has the Camry and the Avalon...the Avalon isn't actually a lot bigger than the Camry, but they feel like two different cars. The Avalon really makes you feel as if you're in a Lexus, without all the gee-whiz gadgets and luxury items.

Unfortunately for Nissan, Infiniti interiors aren't all that much better than Nissans, so if they wanted the Maxima to feel more like an Infiniti than a Nissan, they'd have to revamp the whole Infiniti line.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:41 PM
I'm Bling Bling !

All I know is I wouldn't be caught dead in a car whose rear end looks like the Maxima's. I can't respect a car whose exterior styling is so hideous - no matter what's under the hood.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:05 PM
ySL
Advanced

the altima is waaaaay uglier than the max...they should discontinue that instead lol
Old 05-04-2004, 05:57 PM
bleh...

As long as it sells I guess they will keep it, but I don't see a point in having it now since the price is kinda close to a G35 and the new Altima SE-R.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Race Director

I just thought the Altima was selling better than the Maxima, so I thought the popularity of the Maxima was going downhill.

Doesn anyone know why the Maxima is now made in the USA and no longer Japan?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Doesn anyone know why the Maxima is now made in the USA and no longer Japan?
Because it's cheaper.

Isn't the Altima built here too? If so... same platform, same factory (?).
Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I really like the new Maxima.
I can't comment on the driveline, but I definately like the styling it's one of those cars that for me shines because of some very smart astetic features, plus I love the skyroof.

But that's just me.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
havent liked the new maxima since it came out...way too boaty looking for me
Old 05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Teh ?

I would be disappointed if they killed off the Maxima name. It was the standard for the company for the last decade or so, with the absents of the Z.

I'm hoping that with all the RWD developments at Nissan, that the next generation Maxima will recieve the RWD platform.

Junkster, who loved his Maxima (pearl glow paint).
Old 05-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Got Ramen?

The thing is, they made the Altima too big such that it's canabalizing Maxima sales. THe Maxima is now a questionable product for nissan. Why buy it, wen you can get similar performance from an Altima for less. And it's very close to Infiniti territory: frankly i'd pay the extra $3000+ for a better handling, more luxurious, better looking G35 sedan. Furthermore, the SE-R will put the Maxima to death.

I don't want to see the Maxima go. It's like if Honda were to kill the Accord nameplate. Our family owns a 5th gen model and i love it but the new one just got too big.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Über Geek

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
Nissan invented the 'Four Door Sports Car' segment…
I think that was BMW with the first 3-series. Nissan's ad agency (Chiat Day) cleverly invented the TERM which they stuck on the car as "4DSC".
Old 05-05-2004, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TypeRS
The thing is, they made the Altima too big such that it's canabalizing Maxima sales. THe Maxima is now a questionable product for nissan. Why buy it, wen you can get similar performance from an Altima for less. And it's very close to Infiniti territory: frankly i'd pay the extra $3000+ for a better handling, more luxurious, better looking G35 sedan. Furthermore, the SE-R will put the Maxima to death.

I don't want to see the Maxima go. It's like if Honda were to kill the Accord nameplate. Our family owns a 5th gen model and i love it but the new one just got too big.
i wouldnt say its questionable, it still sold like 6k a month which is not a small number, and in any lineup, there will always be a model eating into the sales of another.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro

Originally posted by captainjack
I think that was BMW with the first 3-series. Nissan's ad agency (Chiat Day) cleverly invented the TERM which they stuck on the car as "4DSC".
The 3-series has competed in the 'entry level luxury' category, which is and has been flooded with offerings from many car companies for years. The Maxima was really the first compact sedan to have a good engine and tight suspension for the same price as a typical 'family' sedan. Even now, there are few cars that succeed at this; the TSX and Mazda6 being examples.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Race Director

does anything think that the vertical skylight was the one unique feature of the new Maxima?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Cruisin'

The Maxima is still a solid car. I think Nissan screwed up by making the Altima much more better than it should of been. It wasn't until recently that the Altima was actually a 'hot' car. The Sentra and the Altima essentially switched places and the Altima and the Maxima essentially switched places as well. To me the Maxima is the 'Toyota Avalon' of Nissan - Infiniti crossover.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Race Director

The only Maxima I actually drove was the I35 and it was fast, but had a lot of torque oversteer. Did Nissan correct this problem with the new Maxima?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by TypeRS

Ever think that Nissan planned the Altima to be close to the size of the Max? They did. They want the Altima to be the bread and butter car (big volume) and the Max to be more exclusive. So far everything is working as planned.

I hear people would choose Altima over Maxima for one reason or another. This is great, keeps Max more exclusive. Again as planned.

All I read here is "if I spend $30K for a Max I would buy this or that instead". Well, that is fine, but Not all Maximas are $30K or more. Quite a few are had for $25K tag. When you look at it that way, it's an Amazing car for that price!

...and remember, best V6 in the world!

I had a 95 max and just sold it for a 2002 maxima and the 95 had over 130K miles and only went to the shop once unscheduled. Not bad for 9 years!

I remember when Honda said they would never go to timing chains in their engines (when i was shopping for cars), now they are. A bit of Nissan VQ V6 influence there? I think probably so.

The current Max is a big car. It has grown up. All cars evolve/grow. E.G. The current Civic is now the size of the Accord a few years back.

And the reason I love the TSX so much...it reminds me of Maximas of the past! I highly considered the TSX as my next Car. Kudo's to Acura for offering us the foreign (real) Accord. Reason I bought Maxima again...VQ V6 (my 5th Nissan in a row). Amazing engine.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Jettmiester
...and remember, best V6 in the world!
Welcome to the board Jettimiester

I gotta say that statement is highly debatable. The VQ may have at one point been the best V6 in the world, but I think its now outclassed by Honda's 3.2 and perhaps even 3.0. Again debatable. Although not a V6 a case can be made for BMW's I6 as well.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:18 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by domn
Welcome to the board Jettimiester

I gotta say that statement is highly debatable. The VQ may have at one point been the best V6 in the world, but I think its now outclassed by Honda's 3.2 and perhaps even 3.0. Again debatable. Although not a V6 a case can be made for BMW's I6 as well.
Thanks for the welcome. My statement comes from the awards the VQ has gotten now 9 years in a row. It even won this reward (exact name or giver of the award escapes me at this moment) when the VQ was rebored to 3.5 litres. Best of all, all the years and miles I have put on these engines, The engines themselves never needed any work, ever.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Okay, found the award stuff:

DETROIT--Dec. 10, 2002--For the ninth year in a row, Nissan's versatile VQ V6 engine has been named to the annual "Ward's Ten Best Engines" award list by Ward's Communications, Inc. The VQ is the only engine to make the list every year the list has been compiled.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Since my TSX is currently in the body shop, I am driving a rental 04 Maxima SE. It's a pretty decent car I'd have to say. The interior is kinda plasticy and cheap feeling, but the ride is smooth, relatively quiet, and decent handling. Sound system is very good also. But it's the amazing 3.5 VQ that makes the car....wow....it makes my TSX and Accord V6 feel like slugs. Very torquey and just flies when you mash the pedal!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm pretty sure it torque steers before it flies once you mash the pedal. One time I was at a light and the car opposite apparently stomped it when the light turned green. You could see the car torque steering.

But still, I wouldn't mind that much power. That car could still easily beat most cars even if it needed a rolling start to compose itself first.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Race Director

that's what i did with the prev gen maxima/i35, when i put my foot on the gas pedal, you could feel the torque oversteer.

have you guys read the reviews of the maxima on msn? the people on there are comparing the maxima to the v6 accord sedan?

the only contest there which one looks more overweight and ugly?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:07 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

the only contest there which one looks more overweight and ugly?
Max may look "overweight", but it is a large car. But Accord Sedan is U G L Y. TSX is beautiful. Perfect design and size. Just no V6.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Race Director

hey acurafan, you see i'm not the only one who thinks the Accord sedan is bad looking. :P
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 PM

I don't think they should discontinue the MAxima. BUt it is no longer a Maxima. It is a Maxima Armada. It's too freaking big. Too much torque steer. It's not a Maxima.

They still advertise it as a sports sedan, it does look sporty but drives like an Avalon. Or a Buick. They have SHAMED the Maxima name with this car.
They should make a Maxima off the FM platform ala G35/M35/45. Not off the Altima. Sad.
And now the Maxima is built in America. No thanks. The interior is shit too.

The 3rd, 4th and 5th gen Maximas were something. Even with the IRL in the 4th and 5th gen. Those are sweet, quality cars.

This new one, is not a maxima.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Teh ?

That's what I'm talking about Sicklex, well put.

A RWD Maxima, a truely affordable V6 performance RWD sedan with Japanese flair at a reasonable price (around 30k) would make my blood boil.

This generation design is off and on for me, some of it looks okay, but some of it just looks odd. Too big is an understatement.

Junkster, who loved his Maxima.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 AM
6th Gear

Maxima Armada!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:03 AM

Junkster, I came close to buying a Maxima. My folks had one for a lil while. It was a great car. The 4DSC. The BMW for the poor man.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they made the new one. And the Altima gives you almost no reason to buy one unless u got to have it's looks.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think they should discontinue the MAxima. BUt it is no longer a Maxima. It is a Maxima Armada. It's too freaking big. Too much torque steer. It's not a Maxima.

They still advertise it as a sports sedan, it does look sporty but drives like an Avalon. Or a Buick. They have SHAMED the Maxima name with this car.
They should make a Maxima off the FM platform ala G35/M35/45. Not off the Altima. Sad.
And now the Maxima is built in America. No thanks. The interior is shit too.

The 3rd, 4th and 5th gen Maximas were something. Even with the IRL in the 4th and 5th gen. Those are sweet, quality cars.

This new one, is not a maxima.

Maxima Armada

Quick Reply: Who thinks the Maxima should be discontinued?