What are your opinions and rankings of the 3 Japanese Luxury makes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your opinions and rankings of the 3 Japanese Luxury makes

My ratings between the 3 Japanese luxury carmakers (IMO): What's your take?
-For prestige, getting most respect on the road, and class:
1. Lexus
2. Infiniti
3. Acura
-Value for the money:
1. Acura
2. Infiniti
3. Lexus
-Resale value:
1. Lexus
2. Acura
3. Infiniti
-Most eye-catching cars:
1. Infiniti
2. Acura
3. Lexus
-Dealer service:
1. Lexus
2. Infiniti
3. Acura
-Reliablity:
1. Lexus
2. Infiniti
3. Acura
Old 06-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

i would agree with those, but the styling is about to change soon with the new breed of Lexus comming out, and add an additional quality ranking

1.Lexus
2.Acura
3.Infiniti
Old 06-17-2004, 11:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
My ratings between the 3 Japanese luxury carmakers (IMO): -Reliablity:
1. Lexus
2. Infiniti
3. Acura
I agree with all except this one. Most rankings show Acura ahead of Infiniti in reliability.

And Gilbo, the question was about now, not about what you think Lexus will do. Until we see the cars we can't presume.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by gilboman
i would agree with those, but the styling is about to change soon with the new breed of Lexus comming out, and add an additional quality ranking

1.Lexus
2.Acura
3.Infiniti
what lexus's do you mean? the new GS? it looks alright, but i feel toyota/lexus kind of stole that design from the nissan maxima.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
101 years of heartache...

i agree with everything BUT the reliability ranking. As of late Lexus (actually the entire Toyota Corp.) has had a huge SUV screw-up. RX330's have been blowing their engines out of nowhere and i don't know for sure but it may have caused a massive recall. My dad knew someone that was effected by this, and he said he represented a lot of people with the same issue in saying he was probably not going to except Lexus' offer of a discounted GX470. (Just as a footnote, he ended up taking it ).
Well anyway I believe Acura is pretty high up there with Infiniti below. I really think its too close to call, but Acura shouldn't be 3rd, not when there have been recalls for many JDM Nissans rebadged here as Infiniti's, and An entire line of SUV's blowing their engines. Acura did have the MDX recall, but that was minor (i think**). Well this is just my opinion.

(domn you beat me to it!)
Old 06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
bleh...

04Euro, why you keep bring this up? Don't you not like your TSX?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Agent_Chen

Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Teh ?

The only catagory that Lexus trails in is their design. Even value, when compared to the rest of the luxury field, is pretty high for Lexus which offers more than what the other two offer against the european counterparts.
I don't know how the new designs will pan out. The new GS is a positive step into something different, but Toyota never really does different well. I'm just waiting for Lexus to outsource their designs to other studios, like they did with the original GS.

Junkster, who thinks Toyota design is still behind the others by a long shot
Old 06-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Agent_Chen
me like TSX, just wondered what all u thought about the rankings of the big 3. sheesh
Old 06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
i agree with everything BUT the reliability ranking. As of late Lexus (actually the entire Toyota Corp.) has had a huge SUV screw-up. RX330's have been blowing their engines out of nowhere and i don't know for sure but it may have caused a massive recall. My dad knew someone that was effected by this, and he said he represented a lot of people with the same issue in saying he was probably not going to except Lexus' offer of a discounted GX470. (Just as a footnote, he ended up taking it ).
Well anyway I believe Acura is pretty high up there with Infiniti below. I really think its too close to call, but Acura shouldn't be 3rd, not when there have been recalls for many JDM Nissans rebadged here as Infiniti's, and An entire line of SUV's blowing their engines. Acura did have the MDX recall, but that was minor (i think**). Well this is just my opinion.

do you have ANYTHING to back up your lexus screwup claims? there are no recalls for the RX, only recall for the highlander is a door latch. If there was a problem as big as you make it to sound, most people especially on this board would've talked about it by now. so stop talking out of your ass unless you got something to back up your claims which go against all published initial and dependibility results for toyota/lexus.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:19 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
:noob:
do you have ANYTHING to back up your lexus screwup claims? there are no recalls for the RX, only recall for the highlander is a door latch. If there was a problem as big as you make it to sound, most people especially on this board would've talked about it by now. so stop talking out of your ass unless you got something to back up your claims which go against all published initial and dependibility results for toyota/lexus.
Hey look the troll of the year is back...You never back up any of the :shit: you say anyways so why are you asking others to do so. Freakin troll. :sqntfawk:
Old 06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

not sure if there was any recall on the RX, but my mom's RX was bought back by Lexus after numerous alignment and tranny problems. they did provide her with a new RX, but it took some work. =D
Old 06-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justinjsw
:noob:

Hey look the troll of the year is back...You never back up any of the :shit: you say anyways so why are you asking others to do so. Freakin troll. :sqntfawk:
STFU, if you dont like it dont post or reply
Old 06-17-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Gilbo gets no respect - you win one award and see what happens.

Back on topic, with the exception of the obvious fact that both Infiniti and Lexus are closer aligned with MB and BMW when it comes to their models Acura is more of Audi type company (all FWD derived designs). Depending on specific model those rankings could change. Either way the numbers between them are close.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Teh ?

yea, can we agree to back things up with published, documented facts before we fly off our handles everyday in here? That goes for everyone, even me.

Junkster, whose tired of threads being arguments due to lack of facts
Old 06-17-2004, 01:03 PM
101 years of heartache...

gilboman, you really need to set yourself straight before arguing. you come up with the craziest crap and basically use the "i saw it, so it HAS to be" method. well in this case, i "experienced" it, so it MIGHT be. I have no facts about a recall, jsut that there were a lot of problems with one car, specifically in the tranny (hence the engine blow). As with tuan209, in my friend's case lexus also offered a buy back (and of course the discounted GX). Look Gilbo, sorry for being a little ticked, its jsut that your renowned for using no facts in your posts (as justin pointed out), yet you come to me and lecture me about it ?! no hate, gilbo, just want to set things straight, and "I'm sorry" if I got your head hot from offending your precious Toyota without any sited information.

(btw, biker, good luck to switzerland in their euro '04 match vs england, i think they might need some. england's pretty pissed about that slip-up against france haha)
edit: 3-0 to England, sorry biker :'(
Old 06-17-2004, 01:22 PM
OG

STFU, if you dont like it dont post or reply

Whatever troll. :shit:
Old 06-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justinjsw
Whatever troll.
okay
Old 06-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Teh ?

man, this is sounding like a 5th grade fight...

Junkster, who wishes he could stick around for this
Old 06-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Race Director

(btw, biker, good luck to switzerland in their euro '04 match vs england, i think they might need some. england's pretty pissed about that slip-up against france haha)
edit: 3-0 to England, sorry biker :'(
I have no affiliation with the Swiss I just live here.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Teh ?

you neutral bastard you, biker!!!

Junkster, whose only stopped in Switzerland once for 15 minutes
Old 06-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Junkster
you neutral bastard you, biker!!!

Junkster, whose only stopped in Switzerland once for 15 minutes
Who said anything about being neutral?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Teh ?

swiss=neutral...

Junkster, whose trying to be funny
Old 06-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Race Director

I wonder how many people would catch it if I changed my location to say.... Ouagadugu.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Race Director

A perfectly good thread that has inocently been
Old 06-17-2004, 02:00 PM

hmm...just got a neg rep from biker
Old 06-17-2004, 02:01 PM

oh well, good thing ur rep is not worth that many points...

wait till i return the luv :devil:
Old 06-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Race Director

so, you guys think that infiniti has cars that don't have as good reliability as acura and lexus
Old 06-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Teh ?

Personally, I'm not totally smitten with Infiniti just yet... I'll reserve my judgement on them when I see a reliability record of their current vehicles over the span of four years...

Junkster, who thinks long term outlook is the best way to judge
Old 06-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Advanced

My rankings

My Rankings;

1. MOST SENSIBLE ------------------- Acura
2. Rich man's Camry -----------------LEXUS
3. Highest Ego (measured in HP)----Infiniti
Old 06-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Drifting

I agree with all the original rankings except reliability. I'd take Acura over Infiniti. Lexus is king.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Drifting

just so you know where i'm coming from, i worked at nissan usa hq so my opinions are based on my understanding of nissan/infiniti's place in the food chain.

the three are: lexus, acura, and infiniti in that order. although, all three makes offer different models for different markets and only a handful of them compete in the same class or price range.
generally speaking:
-lexus offers quality and value, but doesn't have the most exciting or innovative cars. the old SC's were nicer and i'm sorry, the IS rear looks like it came from a cheaply moded import.
-acura has quality and value, and is more innovative and looks better (in my opinion) but still has less of a rep for excellence than lexus. some people think the style is a little too conservative, but it doesn't mean they're not beautiful. can't wait to see the '05 RL. *sigh* now if only there was an acura sport wagon......
-infiniti doesn't have as high of a quality rating but does have a better value rating in terms of performance. though it is relatively innovative, acuras still look better. (for god's sake look at the g35 sedan and tell me the tsx or tl don't beat it to death!)

when in doubt though, look at the parent company as well. bottom line: i'll take a '04 tl or tsx over the g35, i35, ES and IS anyday.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:59 PM
bukaka

Originally Posted by sleeper
just so you know where i'm coming from, i worked at nissan usa hq so my opinions are based on my understanding of nissan/infiniti's place in the food chain.

the three are: lexus, acura, and infiniti in that order. although, all three makes offer different models for different markets and only a handful of them compete in the same class or price range.
generally speaking:
-lexus offers quality and value, but doesn't have the most exciting or innovative cars. the old SC's were nicer and i'm sorry, the IS rear looks like it came from a cheaply moded import.
-acura has quality and value, and is more innovative and looks better (in my opinion) but still has less of a rep for excellence than lexus. some people think the style is a little too conservative, but it doesn't mean they're not beautiful. can't wait to see the '05 RL. *sigh* now if only there was an acura sport wagon......
-infiniti doesn't have as high of a quality rating but does have a better value rating in terms of performance. though it is relatively innovative, acuras still look better. (for god's sake look at the g35 sedan and tell me the tsx or tl don't beat it to death!)

when in doubt though, look at the parent company as well. bottom line: i'll take a '04 tl or tsx over the g35, i35, ES and IS anyday.
your absolutly right about the IS on how it looks like it came from a cheaply moded import thats problaly one of the reasons why i didnt get the IS but ill problaly think twice about the TL or TSX over IS once the v8 model comes out in '07-08
Old 06-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Race Director

sleeper, when you worked at nissan hq, was that before or after renault bailed nissan out?

if you still worked there, i still think the 300zx is still better than the 350z
Old 06-18-2004, 02:09 AM

This has got to be one of the worst posts in the history of the internet. The RX 300/330 has been the best selling, most reliable car in it's class since 1999. That is the year it debuted and won SUV of the year and created the luxury car based SUV. The RX 330 just won most reliable SUV with the Infiniti FX 2nd.
In comparison, the MDX just had a tranny recall.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Junkster
The only catagory that Lexus trails in is their design. Even value, when compared to the rest of the luxury field, is pretty high for Lexus which offers more than what the other two offer against the european counterparts.
I don't know how the new designs will pan out. The new GS is a positive step into something different, but Toyota never really does different well. I'm just waiting for Lexus to outsource their designs to other studios, like they did with the original GS.

Junkster, who thinks Toyota design is still behind the others by a long shot
I find it kind of funny with people saying Lexus design is boring. Yes, the LS 400/LS 430 is a bland looking car. Now the rest of the lineup.
The SC 300/400 one of the best looking coupes ever. Still timeless. Integrated the bumper with the bodywork with maybe the 300ZX perfectly.
The original GS 300 was designed by Giugario.
The ES was not a looker until the generation now. It has love it or hate it styling. It is very noticable.
The 2nd gen GS has the Maxima and Altima copy it 6 years later and also has love it or hate it styling, but very stylish.
The SC 430 has love it or hate it styling and is very stylish.
SUVs are SUVs, but the RX 300 started the chrome rings then the Altezzas on SUVs, other car makers do left and right.
The IS has every car maker stealing the Altezza theme. It is a good looking car.
Both the IS and GS have split tailights, no other sedans offer this styling.

The LS for all it's blandness and largeness has a drag of 0.26, only electric cars are lower. That is INCREDIBLY styling and design for such a huge car.

The end result, looks are subjective.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:15 AM
OG

NHTSA.GOV

Are the RX330s as reliable as you guys think? Or maybe you just don't know the whole story.

Since Gilbowoman likes to shoot from his trap all the time. Here are the links to back up what Gocubsgo55 was talking about. Notice the listing for powertrain failures.

Results : 22 | 1 - 15 Displayed
First | Prev | Next | Last

Make : LEXUS Model : RX330 Year : 2004
Service Bulletin Num : 00304 Date of Bulletin: APR 06, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10007095
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Check to Request Research. Submit below. Get Summary

Service Bulletin Num : 00204 Date of Bulletin: MAR 30, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006547
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Service Bulletin Num : 00204 Date of Bulletin: MAR 30, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10007301

Service Bulletin Num : 00204 Date of Bulletin: FEB 26, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006196
Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Service Bulletin Num : 00104 Date of Bulletin: FEB 24, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006148
Component: SUSPENSION

Service Bulletin Num : 00104 Date of Bulletin: JAN 08, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10005739
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY

Service Bulletin Num : 00303 Date of Bulletin: DEC 23, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005746
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Service Bulletin Num : 01203 Date of Bulletin: DEC 17, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005672

Service Bulletin Num : 00203 Date of Bulletin: DEC 17, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005745

Service Bulletin Num : 01303 Date of Bulletin: DEC 11, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005748

Service Bulletin Num : 00203 Date of Bulletin: DEC 04, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005752
Component: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER

Service Bulletin Num : 01103 Date of Bulletin: DEC 02, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005743
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:ROOF AND PILLARS

Service Bulletin Num : 01103 Date of Bulletin: DEC 02, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005750
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:ROOF AND PILLARS

Service Bulletin Num : 01303 Date of Bulletin: NOV 06, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005239

Service Bulletin Num : PG00403 Date of Bulletin: AUG 19, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003556
Component: TIRES:TEMPORARY/EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Service Bulletin Num : EL00803 Date of Bulletin: AUG 12, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003557
Component: VISIBILITY : POWER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLS

Service Bulletin Num : TC00503 Date of Bulletin: AUG 11, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003558
Component: POWER TRAIN

Service Bulletin Num : EL00703 Date of Bulletin: AUG 11, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003559

Service Bulletin Num : NV00603 Date of Bulletin: AUG 01, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003569
Component: STRUCTURE

Service Bulletin Num : 3LE Date of Bulletin: JUN 30, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10003328
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE

Service Bulletin Num : 00403 Date of Bulletin: MAY 12, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10002011
Component: EQUIPMENT

Service Bulletin Num : 00203 Date of Bulletin: MAY 05, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10002017
Component: POWER TRAIN
Old 06-18-2004, 06:26 AM
OG

Acura MDX

Make : ACURA Model : MDX Year : 2004
Service Bulletin Num : 111303 Date of Bulletin: MAR 26, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10005344

Service Bulletin Num : 032604 Date of Bulletin: MAR 26, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006109
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS: DISC:CALIPER

Service Bulletin Num : 020204 Date of Bulletin: FEB 02, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10006742

Service Bulletin Num : 013004 Date of Bulletin: JAN 30, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10005845
Component: STRUCTURE:BODYOOR

Service Bulletin Num : 012004 Date of Bulletin: JAN 20, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10005844
Component: OTHER

Service Bulletin Num : 121603 Date of Bulletin: DEC 16, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005360
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)

Service Bulletin Num : 120503 Date of Bulletin: DEC 05, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005364
Component: SUSPENSION

Service Bulletin Num : 1003 Date of Bulletin: OCT 16, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10004960
Component: VISIBILITYEFROSTER/DEFOGGER SYSTEM:WINDSHIELD:CONTROLS/WIRING

Check to Request Research. Submit below.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Race Director

Numbers are just that. It all depends on where you get them and what they mean.
Acura has a nice niche going for itself and the numbers will probably keep going up.

Quick Reply: What are your opinions and rankings of the 3 Japanese Luxury makes