AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   What was your favorite driving experience? (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/what-your-favorite-driving-experience-975767/)

knight rider 12-19-2018 03:51 PM

What was your favorite driving experience?

I've driven some cool cars over the years but nothing seems to compare to my experience with a Lamborghini Huracan 610-4. That sounds almost obvious but I imagine there are perhaps "lesser" cars that could provide an equal or better thrill, but I'm doubting it at this point. I got to drive the Huracan a few years ago on a track day with Xtreme Xperience. I have to say that everything you here about the performance of this car is true. I can't imagine what the Performante is like. I would buy a Huracan over an Aventador without even thinking about it. Other notable cars that have left an impression on me:

Ferrari 360 Spyder - on track, wasn't impressed
2011 Porsche Carrera 4S - very spirited drive through some nicely twisted, narrow roads with elevation changes. This car is so planted at speed it's unreal!
2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe - just a test drive. 400 HP, magnetic suspension and a nice exhaust note. This car amazed me. I almost bought it.

What was your favorite driving experience?

Sarlacc 12-19-2018 04:53 PM

Road Coarsing my Challenger

BMW experience picking up my friend's X5M.

Costco 12-19-2018 04:55 PM

I still have to try out one of those supercar track experiences, sounds amazing!

The best way to really understand how capable a car is, is to take it on the track. You gain a lot of confidence in your car control, and better understand the limits of your vehicle. Would recommend it to anybody who is a competent driver with a properly set-up car.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed driving to Big Sur on Highway 1 (my favorite freeway):

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...aa3ee4c4ab.jpg

Silencer_ 12-19-2018 06:15 PM

Driving on Skyline Boulevard and Highway 1 in my 2002 RSX Type-S! There's something about driving on an empty road, downshifting, and hearing the VTEC engage. It's really something else. Coastal drives always clear my mind. Pulling over on the shoulder of the road and watching the sun disappear into the ocean before you get in your car and take off is an amazing feeling.

NSXNEXT 12-19-2018 07:03 PM

The night the wife
​​​​​http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...4c19db22-1.gif

neuronbob 12-26-2018 09:18 PM

Favorite drivng experience?

1. Driving my old S2000, anywhere. It's not always about the power, it's about the driving experience. God I miss that car. Doing a perfect 1st-2nd-3rd shift at 9k rpm, while accelerating onto the highway, was better than sex in that car.

2. Driving my CTS-V wagon cross country, twice. In that case, the power adds to the driving experience. There is nothing like hauling ass out of a rest stop, supercharger whining, and people at the rest stop staring at a station wagon, wondering what the fsck was making that noise. That never, ever gets old. *giggling like a 17-year-old kid*

3. NSX on the track. Great googly moogly, that car is the shiz on the track. Close second in that car was driving down highway 1 in NorCal, three months ago, during my epic road trip to NSXPO.

4. Driving a 1G Gallardo on a track a few years ago. Love the sound that most Lambos make. Were I to be forced to choose between the two classic Italian sporting brands, I'm a Lambo guy all the way, better than Ferrari IMHO (other than the 458...that is just sex).

Compared to these, driving my TLX with the POS ZF9 transmission seems like punishment. I want to trade out of that $hitty car so bad...

horseshoez 12-26-2018 09:34 PM

Tooling down the AutoBahn in my European Delivery 530i SP at speeds upwards of 150 mph.

majin ssj eric 12-26-2018 11:54 PM

Getting to run a few laps at Road Atlanta in my G37S!! Such an awesome course!

RDX10 12-27-2018 03:45 AM

Lol my experience is going to sound mundane as hell compared to some of these supercars. But my favorite driving experience was a few years ago a friend and I took a mini road trip to a small town a few hours away and we took a bunch of side roads...etc.

Keep in mind this was sometime in September or October and there was an incredible amount of twisty roads and many roads were lined with trees in all shades of red, orange, and yellow. There were scenic barns and streams and sheep and cows....etc. It was incredible from both a driving and scenic point of view.

Keep in mind we were driving a 2004 4runner with the V8 so not a sports car by any means but still fun to drive. Funnest time ever until the low gas light came on and we barely made it into the town to fill up.

Midnight Mystery 12-27-2018 04:49 AM

Attacking one of my favorite twisty roads in my TL with my favorite "power driving" song playing driving it at 10/10ths of it's limits!

Nothing like a WOT pull from 40-60 on a tiny road!

F23A4 12-27-2018 04:59 AM

Driving the California T via invitation from Ferrari of Central NJ. There are cars and then there is Ferrari. :toocool:

00TL-P3.2 12-27-2018 12:24 PM

Lots of autocross, or twisty Austin backroads is about all I've got.
Only 'exotic' I have any seat time in was a short test drive in an '07 Lotus Elise with an encouraging salesman.

1killercls 12-27-2018 12:27 PM

1985, on my RZ500N at Laguna Seca Raceway. I wasn't driving, I was riding...and it was incredible.

TylerT 12-27-2018 12:39 PM

Chuckwalla Valley Speed Way / AutoX events in my S2000 :sad:, such fun times ... lots of learning.

Best time in the S4 is running my buddies built motor / big turbo / E50 tune Jetta GLI from 60-130. At that time, he put down 440whp.

He had expectations of beating me (had said so many times in our group of friends) and he got walked on the highway by 2 1/2 car lengths ... best part about it was, he filmed it from his car and got his reaction.

Priceless :teef:

knight rider 12-27-2018 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 16355841)
Getting to run a few laps at Road Atlanta in my G37S!! Such an awesome course!

I thought about tracking my G37S when I had it. That's brave, tracking your own car. I was sure I would need new brakes or tires or both if I did so. I also thought I'd break something for sure, so I erased that thought.

knight rider 12-27-2018 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16356023)
Lots of autocross, or twisty Austin backroads is about all I've got.
Only 'exotic' I have any seat time in was a short test drive in an '07 Lotus Elise with an encouraging salesman.

Austin does have some nice back roads. Thanks to all my years of motorcycle riding I've learned a ton of them.

00TL-P3.2 12-27-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by knight rider (Post 16356137)
Austin does have some nice back roads. Thanks to all my years of motorcycle riding I've learned a ton of them.

:nod: 2222 is always fun for a quickie run.
Ended up on Lime Creek Rd late one night :eek: daytime would've been a better time to learn that one.

knight rider 12-27-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16356151)
:nod: 2222 is always fun for a quickie run.
Ended up on Lime Creek Rd late one night :eek: daytime would've been a better time to learn that one.

That's crazy talk.

MarbleGT 12-27-2018 04:14 PM

I've got a friend that lets me keep his 964 warm from time to time. Rothsport in Washington built it, its got about 430whp from a 4 liter and everything else to support that power. Basically a Singer that doesn't have leather in the engine bay. I've been stuck in traffic in torrential downpours, done numerous track days in it and have sent it down hundreds of backroad miles. Simply the best car I have ever driven.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Individua...MG_9618-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Individua...MG_0497-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Individua...MG_9134-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Individua...MG_9122-X3.jpg

As far as roads go, I work for a rally organization and have driven some of the countries best. We did NYC to LA a couple of years ago, 90% on backroads, and it was just non stop incredible. Another notable trip was Vegas to Vancouver with virtually no interstate...Spiral Hwy in Idaho and US50 stand out. Spiral actually dumps you out on the road that the classic Microsoft rolling hills screen saver was shot on. 50-100 miles of that exact scene...unreal.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Events/Du...MG_3917-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Events/Du...WY_Pano-X3.jpg

majin ssj eric 12-28-2018 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by knight rider (Post 16356132)
I thought about tracking my G37S when I had it. That's brave, tracking your own car. I was sure I would need new brakes or tires or both if I did so. I also thought I'd break something for sure, so I erased that thought.

I wasn't actually tracking it to be honest. My buddy was doing a true track event there that day in his STi and I was there with him. At the end of the day the sponsors of the track day allowed anybody in attendance onto the track to run a few "parade" laps behind the pace car, so no helmet or safety equipment required. But the pace car was a Z06 Corvette and the dude was ripping it around the track so I got to fully wind out my G37S (I think I hit 130-140mph or so on the long straight). Since I've never actually tracked a car, this was my only taste of what its like so despite the restrictions, it remains a cherished driving memory for me!

Will Y. 12-28-2018 01:46 AM

Pacific Coast Highway between Santa Monica and Point Mugu in my son's 2ZZ MR2 Spyder is always a great drive on a clear Sunday morning, regardless of speed/pace.
US101 between Ventura, California and San Louis Obispo is a wonderful drive as well, especially in a nice-handling car.

00TL-P3.2 12-28-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by knight rider (Post 16356162)
That's crazy talk.

:pervert:
Would definitely want to get a daytime run in the C. Would be a lot more fun than midnight in a Saturn :tomato:

TylerT 12-28-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Will Y. (Post 16356376)
Pacific Coast Highway between Santa Monica and Point Mugu in my son's 2ZZ MR2 Spyder is always a great drive on a clear Sunday morning, regardless of speed/pace.
US101 between Ventura, California and San Louis Obispo is a wonderful drive as well, especially in a nice-handling car.

As somebody who just did this drive, can confirm.

It's lovely :love:, even in a Honda Fit :rofl:

SamDoe1 12-28-2018 09:31 AM

Taking I-80 through the Rockies from Denver to Moab is absolutely stunning and is a drive everyone should do. Also the drive over Imogene pass is incredible though I wouldn't suggest doing it in any of the cars mentioned in this thread. :rofl:

majin ssj eric 12-29-2018 12:19 AM

I haven't lived in LA since 2003 but I still miss the PCH every single day! Just about the world's perfect road for people who just love to drive.

00TL-P3.2 12-31-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 16356824)
I haven't lived in LA since 2003 but I still miss the PCH every single day! Just about the world's perfect road for people who just love to drive.

Reminded me of a road I'd like to go back & drive.
We were en route from Tehachapi to Anaheim & Waze took us down Angeles Forest Highway (Palmdale-ish to Pasadena-ish). We were in our Flex & it was still a fun drive, would be so much more in a sportier car.

majin ssj eric 01-01-2019 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16357420)
Reminded me of a road I'd like to go back & drive.
We were en route from Tehachapi to Anaheim & Waze took us down Angeles Forest Highway (Palmdale-ish to Pasadena-ish). We were in our Flex & it was still a fun drive, would be so much more in a sportier car.

Yep! I had a 93 Accord SE at the time and it was still a blast to wind out that 140 hp BEAST up and down the PCH! There are so many gorgeous and amazing roads out in SoCal!

Rick_TL-S 01-01-2019 01:29 PM

Close between driving a Superleggera in Vegas & driving the very first LC in Dallas as it came off the truck from California.
https://i.ibb.co/sjDHdyL/1stlc.jpg

Honorable mention: driving through a store. :tomato:
https://i.ibb.co/KN29MgB/grocery.jpg

Midnight Mystery 01-01-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 16357737)
Yep! I had a 93 Accord SE at the time and it was still a blast to wind out that 140 hp BEAST up and down the PCH! There are so many gorgeous and amazing roads out in SoCal!

140 hp is always the best!

1killercls 01-02-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric (Post 16356824)

I left in 1986!

Sarlacc 01-03-2019 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Will Y. (Post 16356376)

I used to do that drive as a pleasure cruise almost every weekend when I had the Challenger. I would jump on the PCH from the 10, fly up the coast, and I would usually turn off on to Malibu Canyon and cut through back to the 405S and blow down that back home. The earlier on a weekend, the more empty and better the drive.

knight rider 01-04-2019 09:46 AM

I gotta make it back out to Cali, rent something cool and put the PCH drive on my itinerary...

Will Y. 01-05-2019 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc (Post 16359005)
I would jump on the PCH from the 10, fly up the coast, and I would usually turn off on to Malibu Canyon and cut through back to the 405S and blow down that back home.

My son wants to go to Neptune's Net again before he heads back to college, so we will probably drive up PCH from the 10 towards Point Mugu next Saturday, then return the same way.
I usually take the canyon roads- Kanan Dume, Topanga Canyon, Sunset Blvd., etc.- instead of the 101 to get to the 405 from Malibu if I'm not using PCH.