what would it take for you to buy a hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd own any of the hybrid offerings from Lexus when they stop charging such a huge premium on them.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by subinf
you seemed to imply that people buy hybrids to save money on gas. the other reason is that people will be using less resources (gas) and are doing their small part to reduce overall consumption. its not just about saving money.
I think there equal emphasis on being "green." Like polluting less.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
For me the cost "savings" is not significant enough for me to ever buy one. I don't drive that much as it is, but even if I did, it would take a couple of years for me to break even on the difference in prices between the regular and hybrid. Many people won't even see the "savings" on a monthly basis. Yeah you saved $200 this month on gas, but you are paying thousands more to save that money.

For starters the price would have to be close to the price of a regular one. Secondly they still use gas. People would eventually start driving even more due to the great gas mileage and we will be back where we started in a few years. Its a temporary solution at most. Of course hybrids may make sense for some people, but for the most part, I think its a waste. Getting rid of that 4 grand premium is the first thing that needs to be done.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 02-08-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by West6MT
Really? I thought because of the gas and electric motor the cars had to be autos. Thanks for pointing that out Sarlacc. Just for clarification, you mean traditional manuals with a clutch pedal and shifter etc with hybrid power in those cars,.......not paddle shifters/DSG/SMG type stuff right.

Ya, regular 5-speed manual transmission. They dropped it due to lack of interest. Only Honda hybrids can be outfitted with a manual since it's basically a regular car with an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and the transmission and the battery pack hence the reason Honda hybrids are cheaper to produce and thus cheaper to buy because they're not as complex as full hybrids like the Prius and Escape Hybrid.

The GS450h will have a "CVT" type transmission with 6 "virtual" gears for you folks who want to "shift". If you don't know what I'm talking about, test drive the Nissan Murano. It has a CVT with 7 virtual gears for simulated tiptronic-style shifting. No idea why'd you want that but sure.

Asianrage, I'm with you there. I'm annoyed that Lexus think they can charge a large "premium" on them just because they think rich people will splurge for it. Heck no! They didn't become rich by splurging.

So far, Honda has the cheapest hybrid in Canada coming in at $25,800 for the Civic Hybrid. That's roughly the price of a base CSX with manual or within $100s of the Civic Si lol. Take into account the $2,000 rebate here in BC (and I guess ONT too), and the HCH will cost less than a loaded Civic EX auto in CAD.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
To punish and enslave

I'd get a hybrid if it came with a free Zonda, Koenigs, or DB9.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced

haha

Koenigsegg C8R! Horrible reliabilty but great customer service lol (or so I heard).
DB9 to be more realistic
Old 02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cost and availability in a car I desire would be the things holding me back....
Old 02-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Diesel is cool with me. My parents had 2 diesel cars while they lived in Europe for 4 years and loved them....they drove all over the place in them and loved them for long road trips. I'd be totally into a diesel TSX. Plus, the new diesel engines are much cleaner than ones from the past, and they also last longer.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
101 years of heartache...

a 6MT, or Paddle-Shift Hybrid vehicle would be great
Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I'd get a hybrid if they drove like a normal car (ie decent acceleration). About the only car that does that right now is the Accord hybrid, but that thing's 30K.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:20 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Diesel is cool with me. My parents had 2 diesel cars while they lived in Europe for 4 years and loved them....they drove all over the place in them and loved them for long road trips. I'd be totally into a diesel TSX. Plus, the new diesel engines are much cleaner than ones from the past, and they also last longer.

i have no CLUE why diesals aren't bigger out here, shame really
Old 02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
i have no CLUE why diesals aren't bigger out here, shame really
I read an article, forget the source, but it blamed GM for making poor diesel engines many years ago and the public has never caught on from that point on.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:25 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I'd get a hybrid if they drove like a normal car (ie decent acceleration). About the only car that does that right now is the Accord hybrid, but that thing's 30K.
And the Lexus, and the highlander, and the camry etc etc etc...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Advanced

Camry probably. It'll get ~40mpg and does 0-60 ~8.0 sec or about a regular V6. Drive it hard and you might get close to Edmunds.com's avg of 30.8mpg. Assuming you're willing to give up oh.. about 1 sec of 0-60 time and about 50hp for much better mileage. Given that it's within 1 sec, I don't think that extra hp is worth the extra money or fuel costs.

But as most things go, the cheaper it is, the less you get (usually. of course there are exceptions) e.g. the upcoming Saturn VUE Green Line is supposed to be waaay cheaper than an Ford, Honda or Toyota hybrid but naturally it's mileage gain is much less than any Ford, Honda or Toyota hybrid.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I read an article, forget the source, but it blamed GM for making poor diesel engines many years ago and the public has never caught on from that point on.
The government isn't doing anything to put more strict regulations on the sulfur level in the diesel fuel in the U.S. I'm not an engineer so I don't know the specifics, but apparently the car companies are petitioning that if the government would lower the maximum allowed sulfur level, then they can build more efficient diesel engines.

Europe is a prime example that it could work... but the oil companies are too god damn greedy here. Car companies can't even imagine offering a car without a diesel engine option over there.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 AM
fear and Loathing

I would have no problem driving a hybrid back and forth to work on the highway everyday. to go to a friends house or go out to get food and a few beers. I actually would like to buy one when im done with my 1st Gen CL project. It would be nice to drive a simple cheap on gas honda everyday. keep the race car in the garage.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, diesel engines got a bad rep a long time ago, and people still think they are the environment's enemy. If we want diesels here, the US market will have to be re-educated that the new diesel engines are in fact very clean, and have many pros to them. But until that happens, not many people will buy them, so car makers won't make them. Right now I think the only manufacturers who offer diesel in the US are VW and MB, correct? I myself woudn't be caught dead in a VW (reliability issues) and MB is too expensive for me and for mainstream people in general - so I think prices have to come down and more offerings have to come out to even make it feasible.

In addition, the US has also had auto trannies pushed down their throats for a long time, now, so most people won't even buy an MT, which is what diesels are. Has there ever been an auto diesel? Does anyone know?

Plus, gas stations would have to put in more diesel pumps in order to keep up with an increased number of diesel cars. Right now, some stations don't even carry it at all!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Drifting

In addition, the US has also had auto trannies pushed down their throats for a long time, now, so most people won't even buy an MT, which is what diesels are. Has there ever been an auto diesel? Does anyone know?

Plus, gas stations would have to put in more diesel pumps in order to keep up with an increased number of diesel cars. Right now, some stations don't even carry it at all!

There's auto diesel cars-much more common in Europe, but, there's the Passat, Mercedes, Expedition and Libery that are available in auto diesel. My dad makes a killing on diesel just because he is literally the only person that carries on road diesel within a 25 minute drive. He orginally started with off road only, and realized that there was a need for on-road. He only has 2 pumps of each and doesn't offer gas. It was usually only the pickup and landscaping trucks (commercial) that were using the diesel. Now, its more and more privately owned cars and trucks.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

^
Oh yeah, forgot about the Liberty, didn't know about the Expedition.

But I read and heard that the Liberty really gets crappy mileage for a diesel - I don't remember what it is offhand, but I was absolutely shocked at how bad. It was just barely marginally better than the gas version. Seems kinda stupid to me.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The Liberty in gas form just sucks down gas. I know 3 co workers that had them.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Drifting

^
Oh yeah, forgot about the Liberty, didn't know about the Expedition.

But I read and heard that the Liberty really gets crappy mileage for a diesel - I don't remember what it is offhand, but I was absolutely shocked at how bad. It was just barely marginally better than the gas version. Seems kinda stupid to me.
Yeah it def gets terrible gas mileage-Jeep claims that it can get 500 miles between fill ups. Obvi. thats not true