what would it take for you to buy a hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would it take for you to buy a hybrid?

I got into a debate today with some friends about hybrid cars. It started with how GM announced they are going to make several SUVs with a hybrid option. The general opinion was that they aren't fast and/or luxurious enough and there wasn't enough of a selection. What does everyone else think? What is the major "problem" with not buying a hybrid?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Problem is the "return on investment" so to speak. The amount you pay extra, most people won't get back unless they keep the car a long time.

I would definetly own a Prius though for a daily driver. Tons of options and great mileage for only 30K. Plus they are not that bad to drive.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
I would definetly own a Prius though for a daily driver. Tons of options and great mileage for only 30K. Plus they are not that bad to drive.
My uncle got one and I was quite impressed with the interior and driving the car
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Drifting

If they offered a tax credit big enough to offset the initial cost of a hybrid over a regular gas engine model i.e. Honda Accord Hybrid, Lexus RX and GS hybrid, then I'd consider one.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm back, biatch.

I'd buy a hybrid if the cars that I like are offered with a hybrid option. I personally don't see myself driving a Prius, Civic, 400h, etc. If the TSX came with a hybrid option, I'd probably own one.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If the TSX came in a hybrid option and it didn't cost any more than the regular version, then I'd buy one.

Also if I knew it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fix if anything happened to it.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
if it cost the same as its gas counterpart
Old 02-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once Joselito from around the way can fix a hybrid. Taking a car back to the dealership can get annoying
Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
if it cost the same as its gas counterpart
...and the mpg is much better than its gas only counterpart.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
If it was a Lexus IS350 Coupe "performance hybrid"? Maybe.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I wasnt a big fan of hybrids, then my mom bought the prius. fully loaded for well under 30k isnt bad at all, navi, bluetooth, ton of room, great mileage. she had her heart set on the prius so that was that, but i think toyota did well with all the options and keeping the price relatively low.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:29 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,708 Posts
folks have the 400h and it fucking rocks.

I also think the gs450h is gonna be a sweet ass sedan.

I have no issue with hybrids..your friends who say they arent fast enough are retarded.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

IMO, hybrids are not the answer for the upcoming gas crisis. They are a fad that hopefully will be replaced by more effective options in the future such as Ethanol or Hydrogen.

What many people who own these cars don't realize is that the batteries will eventually need to be replaced. The cost is very expensive $3000-$4000. While the warranty will cover these initally, good luck once you are out of warranty. In addition, the disposed batteries are very polluting for the environment.

Lastly, for most of our every day driving, you won't see the EPA figures the manufacturers advertise.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
IMO, hybrids are not the answer for the upcoming gas crisis. They are a fad that hopefully will be replaced by more effective options in the future such as Ethanol or Hydrogen.

What many people who own these cars don't realize is that the batteries will eventually need to be replaced. The cost is very expensive $3000-$4000. While the warranty will cover these initally, good luck once you are out of warranty. In addition, the disposed batteries are very polluting for the environment.

Lastly, for most of our every day driving, you won't see the EPA figures the manufacturers advertise.
I agree 100% with everything you said.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Advanced

I don't know but the 1997 Priuses are 8-9 years old already so we'll see how much it costs them to replace it whenever they do die. Besides, 8yrs/100,000 miles (up to 15/160,000 in CA and CA-regulated states) is a long while. By 2008, Li-Ion would replace the NiMH batteries so replacement should be cheap anyway. I mean, how much did your $2,000 laptop last year cost you now? It's no different from replacing your transmission when it dies.

cusdaddy, you're right. It isn't the solution. No one said it was. Hybrids are meant to be an interim solution from where we are now (gas) and where we wanna be (hydrogen). Most hybrids can be converted (by the manufacturer) to hydrogen fairly easily. The easiest solution is replace the ICE with another ICE that runs on hydrogen and replace the gas tank and fuel lines. The harder route is fuel cell stacks.

Most cars won't see the EPA figures anyway. It'll largely depend on how you drive and you have to use the same car for the same route on a similar day. That's what EPA *tries* to do and of course... sorta fails. I'm not seeing EPA numbers (my summer avg is 54mpg) but hell that's 2x what my dad's getting in his Camry.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lead batteries will eventually just pollute, as automakers currently don't seem to have an effective way of dealin with old batteries. Not to mention that maintenance costs will be high if the car can only be serviced at a dealership, or at least if anything related to the hybrid system must be serviced by the dealer.

I was hopin' low sulfur diesel would be making its way stateside by now, so that we could start seeing some diesel alternatives to many popular and upscale vehicles.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
The Designer

I'd buy a hybrid if there was one that looked good, had similar performance numbers, and a similar price as the fuel only equivalent. Otherwise I don't like sacrificing for the sake of sacrificing.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been said in thread earlier but if they were not so much more expensive I would not have a problem with it
Old 02-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Besides all of the other reasons ppl have already stated (ex cusdaddy)

Hybrid cars dont have a manual tranny,...........means I will never be interested in one. Unless I already own 2 manual cars and the only purpose of the hybrid is for getting to and from work and its not ugly like the prius.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:56 PM
One on the right for me

IMO, hybrids are not the answer for the upcoming gas crisis. They are a fad that hopefully will be replaced by more effective options in the future such as Ethanol or Hydrogen. i do want to see a better car produced in the future, but for the time being we might as well do the best with what we have.

hybrids are good for those who want to start making a difference. a lot of people would rather pay more for a car and use less gas than save money on gas...its not all about the economics but also about lessening the impact on the environment.

ive heard conflicting things about the disposal of the batteries...need to see how that pans out.

whats your average mpg? its hard to complain when you are getting 50mpg instead of 60.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
I was hopin' low sulfur diesel would be making its way stateside by now, so that we could start seeing some diesel alternatives to many popular and upscale vehicles.
Turbo Diesels > *

They generally get great gas mileage and have gobs of torque.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

x 1,000

In a Motor Trend issue a few months back, they had an article about the Prius regarding its extra cost and how it would take THIRTY years for the owner to even that out with the savings in gas. Plus the tax incentive is being phased out over a 3-year process. I believe 2006 is the last year (maybe 2007.. can't remember for sure).

Hybrids are more of a statement, in my opinion. "Look, I drive a hybrid that I paid extra for. I'm doing something to save the planet."

No, thank you. I'd rather wait for a hydrogen car. They are making some break-throughs on that technology now. Imagine pure H20 for exhaust gases. You could put your mouth over the tailpipe and suck it in... err...
Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
x 1,000

In a Motor Trend issue a few months back, they had an article about the Prius regarding its extra cost and how it would take THIRTY years for the owner to even that out with the savings in gas. Plus the tax incentive is being phased out over a 3-year process. I believe 2006 is the last year (maybe 2007.. can't remember for sure).

Hybrids are more of a statement, in my opinion. "Look, I drive a hybrid that I paid extra for. I'm doing something to save the planet."

No, thank you. I'd rather wait for a hydrogen car. They are making some break-throughs on that technology now. Imagine pure H20 for exhaust gases. You could put your mouth over the tailpipe and suck it in... err...

Really its just a statement about paying more for a car??? OK...so how long are we going to have to wait around for something better to come along. Everyone seems to be hung up on the fact that people are buying hybrids to save money on gas. That may be true for a certain percentage, but everyone I know that owns a hybrid does it because it uses less gas. Its not so much about saving at the pump than going to the pump less often.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Honda needs to go the turbo diesel route.

Hybrids as Cusdaddy noted have very nasty batteries that must be disposed of, cost a lot of energy to create and have to be replaced.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Honda needs to go the turbo diesel route.

Hybrids as Cusdaddy noted have very nasty batteries that must be disposed of, cost a lot of energy to create and have to be replaced.

Not quite as nasty as the lead batteries used in regular cars. hybrid batteries are lead free. still expensive but the cost is expected to come down. they are nearly as toxic as regular batteries are. i think the general idea, for those both for and against hybrids, is that technology still needs to improve.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:48 AM
The Third Ball

Lexus/toyota put 10 years on the battery, so its good for one change.

Hydrogen..dangerous sadly

Ethanol...crap imo

There has to be a better alternative.

But right now hybrid is a good answer for more economica highl performance vehicles...if the car companies didnt try and charge a damn premium for them.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:51 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by West6MT
Besides all of the other reasons ppl have already stated (ex cusdaddy)

Hybrid cars dont have a manual tranny,...........means I will never be interested in one. Unless I already own 2 manual cars and the only purpose of the hybrid is for getting to and from work and its not ugly like the prius.
Insight and Civic both have manuals available, always have...just pointing it out.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by BadBadNeil
I'd buy a hybrid if there was one that looked good, had similar performance numbers, and a similar price as the fuel only equivalent. Otherwise I don't like sacrificing for the sake of sacrificing.
Lexus GS450h...

A lot of people here aren't even very savvy as to what is available in the hybrid world, or what a hybrid can offer...

Is hybrid the answer for an overall solution...

Is the hybrid going to save you tons of money in the end though states like ca give huge tax breaks on them to try and help.

But a company like lexus isn't even promoting the hybrids as real gas sippers...they are promoting V8 power out of a V6...they going for the real advantage of hybrid right now....performance.

Its another alternative in the market at the moment.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
Insight and Civic both have manuals available, always have...just pointing it out.
'06 Civic Hybrid doesnt have the manual option anymore. CVT only.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
'06 Civic Hybrid doesnt have the manual option anymore. CVT only.
...oh...boooooo
Old 02-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Im waiting for an alternative fuel car...not a hybrid motor that is slow, looks crappy and turns off when I stop. Not worth the few mpg to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
on to the next one...

My dad's is on his second Escalade, his third Escalade will be the Hybrid Escalade coming in the fall of 2007. Capable of 30 mpg. He has averaged 14.5 mpg since he got his 2005 30,000 miles ago. I think hybrid SUV's will be very popular with those who want to drive big SUV's but don't want to pay the gas bill. If they are already paying $65,000 for a lux-SUV, I don't think many will mind paying another $5k-$6k for the hybrid version. Now, econo hybrid cars may be a different story.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
Really its just a statement about paying more for a car??? OK...so how long are we going to have to wait around for something better to come along. Everyone seems to be hung up on the fact that people are buying hybrids to save money on gas. That may be true for a certain percentage, but everyone I know that owns a hybrid does it because it uses less gas. Its not so much about saving at the pump than going to the pump less often.
Did I miss something?

using less gas = saving money on gas
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Did I miss something?

using less gas = saving money on gas

you seemed to imply that people buy hybrids to save money on gas. the other reason is that people will be using less resources (gas) and are doing their small part to reduce overall consumption. its not just about saving money.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by subinf
i think the general idea, for those both for and against hybrids, is that technology still needs to improve.
I am in complete agreement. While I agree in principle with the idea, and I think once battery technology improves it may be an attractive option, I don't think we are there yet.

If someone truly wants a hybrid today for the increased fuel economy, I think it's fine and more power to them. The only thing that ticks me off is the pseudo-righteousness a few hybrid owners I have met who shun those of us who drive regular cars and think they are being all high and mighty by saving the environment which truly isn't the case.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I'll never buy. Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Is diesel the better option? My dad has both on road and off road diesel at his office, and is the only station in about a 15 mile radius who sells it. He's had around 300 new accounts open in the past few months because of people buying diesel cars (like the Jeep Liberty) and trading in the gas guzzlers.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Diesel is more $$ then gas right now.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Yeah but it wasn't when gas when way up
Old 02-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
Really? I thought because of the gas and electric motor the cars had to be autos. Thanks for pointing that out Sarlacc. Just for clarification, you mean traditional manuals with a clutch pedal and shifter etc with hybrid power in those cars,.......not paddle shifters/DSG/SMG type stuff right.

Last edited by West6MT; 02-08-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: what would it take for you to buy a hybrid?