What particular driving action of others pisses you off the most?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
What particular driving action of others pisses you off the most?

What driving habits of others on the road pisses you off more than others?

I know for the most part, we shouldn't worry about the driving habits of others, but some that really annoy me are:

1. Forcing your way into a lane. Especially in traffic, if a driver isn't clearly letting you in, don't try to butt yourself in. It's annoying having an air shoving match with cars.

2. Using the merge lane on a highway to jump ahead of traffic. Doesn't particularly affect me, but it's almost like cheating on a test.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
1. Lack of turn signal use!
2. People tailgating
3. People using the merge lane on highways to pass cars, or worse the emergency lanes
4. Having people drive under the speed limit because they can, esp in the left lane!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
everything. specially doing the speed limit.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
When a turn lane has a loooong line and then someone in the next lane over runs all the way up to the front and cuts in. I want rocket launchers when people do that...

Also, when people making a turn feel the need to swing out across ALL the lanes of the street they are turning onto instead of staying in their own lane...
Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
to add to the above:

people who don't understand circles - the car in the circle has the right of way, people!

same speed, same road, same direction - it's weird. don't drive side by side with me, either slow down or step it up - I don't understand why people think I set the speed limit and will accelerate with me. worst case scenario: both cars are slow and blocking the whole road.

Prius - dude no one cares that you get awesome mileage, pick up the pace. and on the other end of the spectrum, your car isn't a Ferrari, don't drive it like it is.

Crooked roads - I get this a lot. 2 lanes in same direction, road goes from straight to slightly crooked...and somehow the guy in the next lane ends up in mine.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
I love it when your moving at a decent speed and then someone decides to whip right out in front of you and slam on their brakes.
I'm also in love with the people who refuse to get their brake lights fixed. I've almost rear-ended a few people because of their brake lights being out.
When dumbasses don't get over to the side of the road when an emergency vehicle is coming.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
People who sit in the left lane pacing the guy next to them because they think that's how fast everybody should be going. People in Oregon LOVE to do this; they think it's their job to keep everybody safe and going 50 in a 65.

Rushing up a turn lane and then cutting over. Should be punishable by machine gun fire.

People who stop so far behind the stop line that they aren't on the signal detection loops. Then they (and everybody backed up behind them) sit there for the rest of all time because the signal doesn't know there are 98,000 cars waiting and one dipshit not in the detect zone.

Along those same lines, I hate it when people leave six or seven car lengths between them and the car ahead at a light. It's like they don't understand safe following distance only applies when the car is moving.

People who drive really slow until their light turns yellow. Then they floor it and you have to wait at the red.

People who stop on railroad tracks. My life will be complete when I get to see one of these morons creamed by a freight train.

People who inch forward constantly while the light is red. They do know it won't make it change any faster, right? Same goes for people who stand there on the curb and just bang at the pedestrian push button the whole time.

There are others but these are my main irritants.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
People that drive in packs, muthafuckas that stop to look at an accident on the other side of the street, that and people who text and drive, I wish watch them all shot in the face with an armor piercing incendiary round x250
Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I hate it when others hit me...pretty simple.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
When a turn lane has a loooong line and then someone in the next lane over runs all the way up to the front and cuts in. I want rocket launchers when people do that...

Also, when people making a turn feel the need to swing out across ALL the lanes of the street they are turning onto instead of staying in their own lane...
Me tooooooo

i almost hit a light pole on the corner just to avoid a retard that did that
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
2. People tailgating
3. People using the merge lane on highways to pass cars, or worse the emergency lanes
4. Having people drive under the speed limit because they can, esp in the left lane!
All of those make me
Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
Me tooooooo

i almost hit a light pole on the corner just to avoid a retard that did that
we have a notorious turn lane like that and they actually painted guide lines, and people still couldn't follow it.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
What baffles me, is nobody....NOBODY can process that the dotted lines in the intersection aren't just for pretty pictures...yet there's one exit ramp that has an INSANE long double white solid line. There are never cars that come from the continuing access road because there isn't access road behind it. Only reason it's there is because 18-wheelers pull out onto the road there from a plant.

People never cross that line.
Ever.

Like. It's ouija board type shit if you cross that, to these people.

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 12-24-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Along those same lines, I hate it when people leave six or seven car lengths between them and the car ahead at a light. It's like they don't understand safe following distance only applies when the car is moving.

Me too, dude! Drives me nuts..
Old 12-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Just thinking about this thread and remembered idiots that TEXT AND DRIVE! I HATE people who do that. I normally don't wish bad for anyone however these fools find it necessary to REALLY impair themselves and risk the lives of others. I think the craziest instance of this I've seen is some stupid girl in her mercedes benz driving 90 MPH on I-75 texting.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
1. Forcing your way into a lane. Especially in traffic, if a driver isn't clearly letting you in, don't try to butt yourself in. It's annoying having an air shoving match with cars.
Some drivers have no clue how to merge before the last second, and some don't understand the concept of having every other vehicle merge into a lane.
Originally Posted by csmeance
I had three drivers turn in front of me closely without signals from adjacent lanes today. Idiots all.

Last edited by Will Y.; 12-24-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
lol at thread, but all valid points though
Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
People who merge too slow or are afraid of merging and who end up invariably causing everyone behind them to get stuck on a ramp. They don't get that you need to speed up to the flow of traffic in order to a) be noticed by other drivers on the road so they can react b) actually be able to accelerate or brake in order to get in.

I see this every day in Reading, Pa and it's almost always some old Latino lady or a middle aged Asian female driver.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
There are two:

1) When people instead of merging onto a highway from an underpass, they instead STOP. And then sit there until it's clear.

2) When stopping at a light with two lanes heading in the same direction, with one lane allowing a left turn or to head straight, and then people refusing to signal left until the light turns green. And of course I'm behind them.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but sometimes I fill the rear mirrors of these people with F350 grille.

Terry
Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
1) Hogging the left lane - just move over and stop blocking traffic!
2) Speeding in a residential area - c'mon, people are walking, kids are playing and you're speeding through the subdivision - hope you wrap your car around a tree (and not take out anyway when you do it)
Old 12-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
There are two:

1) When people instead of merging onto a highway from an underpass, they instead STOP. And then sit there until it's clear.

Terry
This is common in Pennsylvania where my wife is from (Pittsburgh area). I've come close to rear ending people because I'm not expecting them to come to a complete stop at the end of an on ramp. I've also been flipped off more than once for NOT stopping on the on ramp and just merging on to the highway,

Last edited by 65 Fury Convert; 12-24-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-24-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol I do almost all these things
Old 12-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
People who merge too slow or are afraid of merging and who end up invariably causing everyone behind them to get stuck on a ramp. They don't get that you need to speed up to the flow of traffic in order to a) be noticed by other drivers on the road so they can react b) actually be able to accelerate or brake in order to get in.

I see this every day in Reading, Pa and it's almost always some old Latino lady or a middle aged Asian female driver.
People do this in Portland all the time and it causes my blood to boil. You'll get behind some idiot going up the on-ramp at 30 mph while cars are blowing by at 65-70. They just don't get it....
Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 698 Posts
People who see the left turn lane get a green turn arrow, and then think they can go. Pay attention moron, our light is still red....
Old 12-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
People who sit in the left lane pacing the guy next to them because they think that's how fast everybody should be going. People in Oregon LOVE to do this; they think it's their job to keep everybody safe and going 50 in a 65
+1

The People's Republic of Oregon has these citizen activists who LOVE to do 50 mph in the left lane. Should you flash your lights or pass them after several futile attempts to get their attention, they'll (amusingly) attempt to prevent said passing action in their Prius (complete with studded tires and a roofrack) and THEN speed up to 70 mph and give YOU the finger.

It's incredibly how passive-aggressive people are in the Northwest.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:26 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
Old 12-25-2010, 12:36 AM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I agree with everyone^^^
Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Haha this thread is hilarious (but true). Reading some of these things actually make me mad just sitting here especially when people are driving 40mph in the left lane and people who just decide to cut 20 cars trying to get off an exit when you yourself have been waiting a good 5 minutes.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi
That freaking troll face got me good.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:02 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Almost everything has been said, except for one thing.

There is an intersection that has a lane wide enough to allow two cars, yet there is no line indicating as such. The lane is purposely built a bit wide to allow cars to pass on the right to take a right turn on red, and for others to continue going straight.

In my instance, I will have my signal indicating that I am looking to take a right turn on red, which is legal in CT, but the person driving in front will deliberately occupy the whole lane preventing me from executing the turn on red. Thus forcing me to wait there, although it really doesn't adversely effect my commute, it is discourteous.

All the issues regarding merging also bother me as well, except in the OP who argued that people shouldn't force themselves in. To that I respond, well maybe you should extend a little courtesy so that he wouldn't have to merge forcefully, lol.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Eoanou, I agree about the extra wide lane part. Ironically, if I see someone behind me that's looking to turn right, I'll edge out to the left side of the lane as far as possible to let them through. Most of the time, they'll say thanks.

As far as the OP, I let cars go when I'm in the right lane of the freeway in traffic next to a merge lane, in which case I like to follow the unwritten every other car rule. Only time I don't let cars merge is when another car is trying to get in front of me when I let ONE car go.

On the subject of saying thanks, what the eff happened to it? These days, I almost NEVER get a courteous wave after letting someone make a turn or merging, or anything really. Only a bit irksome if someone merges in front of me, but it's kind of insulting otherwise, especially if it's made clear that I'm being courteous by waving them through or flashing my lights. I get jack shit in return.

Is it just me, or has it gone down in recent years? I remember people saying thank you much more often say, about five years ago.

Last edited by Aman; 12-25-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Eoanou, I agree about the extra wide lane part. Ironically, if I see someone behind me that's looking to turn right, I'll edge out to the left side of the lane as far as possible to let them through. Most of the time, they'll say thanks.

As far as the OP, I let cars go when I'm in the right lane of the freeway in traffic next to a merge lane, in which case I like to follow the unwritten every other car rule. Only time I don't let cars merge is when another car is trying to get in front of me when I let ONE car go.
I do the exact same, people love it.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:44 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree with all the ones here.
and i'll add a small one that's been pissing me off lately.
people that apply there brakes all the time.
for example, just driving along in light traffic, going 60km/hr
person in front keeps tapping their brakes every 5 seconds since they seem to be getting to close to the car in front of them
but they don't think to regulate their speed by letting their foot off the gas, they just to go straight to braking instead
just pointless and stupid IMO and annoying if it's at night and i have to see their brake lights every 5 seconds.
and another one, not so much an action, but kind of... people using their foglights when there is no fog, or low visibility, and especially rear fog lights if their car is equipped with them
Old 12-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
When I'm in the right lane and there is a freakin lane just for turning right. They still stay in my lane and take up two lanes to turn right and to put the icing on the cake. They don't signal while all this happens.

How about when I'm turning left and the guy on the other side decides to turn right when I'm half way through the intersection.

I can go on and on ranting about more but it won't solve anything.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Is it just me, or has it gone down in recent years? I remember people saying thank you much more often say, about five years ago.
It's not just you and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It seems they want you to let them in but then go and screw everybody else by blocking an intersection. I'd say I get thanked two times out of ten opposed to seven or eight times out of ten five years ago.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:15 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,446 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's already a thread like this that was multiple pages long and I'd say 80% of the people mentioned "not using turn signals"...

THAT said... it's also my biggest gripe...

#2 someone said "doing the speed limit"... I can understand the annoyance of people doing the speed limit on the freeway, but the one thing I can't stand is people driving fast in residential areas and parking lots. There are these fucking kids in my neighborhood that haul ass up and down the street and I'm ready to fucking chase their asses down and beat them to a pulp... The freeway is one thing, but there are kids playing in residential areas and parking lots.

Last edited by is300eater; 12-25-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:25 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
texting, hogging the left lane, and merging issues.

people are very predictable when passing. When you are coming up on them, and then try to pass, they speed up. AS soon as you pass them, after having to gun it, they slow back down.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
People who fly down the lane that is about to merge, like in a construction zone lane closure, then jumping in at the last minute. I never let them in if I'm at the merging point.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
o Failure to use turn signals, for turns and lane changes.
o Running stop signs (I nailed two people who did this. I total one man's car).
o Running red lights.
o Weaving in and out of traffic.
o Riding my ass (though this doesn't get to me as much as it used to).
o Cutting in diminishing lanes at the last moment.
o People pulling out into traffic and don't accelerate quickly enough to match flow speed.
o People who run on shoulders in tie-ups then try to cut in to traffic.
o People who let above drivers get away with this.
o People who do not run the flow of traffic (driving 30 MPH on a 45 MPH road).

There are more but that's enough for now. If I was a cop, I'd have a field day.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020

yes and yes

Quick Reply: What particular driving action of others pisses you off the most?