What is going on at Acura

Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Originally Posted by gnuts
But 2nd gen TL guys are putting in 06-07 accord trans which seem to be reliable.
The trans from our 07 AV6 is the same as the one from the 04-06 3G TL at least from the outside. Pressure switch replacement procedure was the same, not sure if any change with internals.

In any case, it's at 86k now and hasn't shit the bed so I'm hoping for another 50k-60k out of it before selling it.
The following users liked this post:
charliemike (12-29-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
ive torn apart 2 of the 5 speed trans now and never saw a clogged filter. what i saw the most was clogged solenoids/screens
the screens are also considered filters and they are getting clogged.

IMHO it would appear that they are seeing fluid before it gets to the internal filter and as such this is why they catch all of the crap before the main filter. If that stuff was going to the main filter first, one would expect to see nothing on those screens...
Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Slight improvement for Acura vs last year.

2018: 159 problems per 100 vehicles (The 2018 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 36,896 original owners of 2015 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded in October-December 2017.)

2017: 167 problems per 100 vehicles (The 2017 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 35,186 original owners of 2014 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from October through December 2016.)

2016: 129 problems per 100 vehicles (The 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 33,560 original owners of 2013 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from October through December 2015.)

2015: 124 problems per 100 vehicles (The 2015 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 34,000 original owners of 2012 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded in November and December 2014.)

2014: 109 problems per 100 vehicles (The 2014 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 41,000 original owners of 2011 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded between October and December 2013.)

J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study J.D. Power
Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Are you saying my BMW is as dependable as Toyota?
I am fine with that.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Are you saying my BMW is as dependable as Toyota?
I am fine with that.
Which is why I have zero faith in these surveys.
projektvertx (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

Which is why I have zero faith in these surveys.
Because they don’t support your confirmation bias? I bet you believe that Audi is not close to Lexus.
juniorbean (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
The JD Power vehicle dependability studies are crap. They basically ask owners about any reported problems and then give a score per 100 vehicles. The raw data JD Power collects does break down the type of problem, but not the overall score that is presented.

So owners who could not get their bluetooth to pair with the car would report that as a problem and it would get presented on the same level as a car with a transmission failure.

Here's an article about it: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/...ility-opinion/
The following 4 users liked this post by wackjum:
JT4 (02-16-2018), juniorbean (02-15-2018), RDX10 (02-15-2018), teh CL (02-17-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The trans from our 07 AV6 is the same as the one from the 04-06 3G TL at least from the outside. Pressure switch replacement procedure was the same, not sure if any change with internals.

In any case, it's at 86k now and hasn't shit the bed so I'm hoping for another 50k-60k out of it before selling it.
Update, now at 116k and still hasn't sh1t the bed though the power steering pump did. Probably going to swap it out soon.

Originally Posted by wackjum
The JD Power vehicle dependability studies are crap. They basically ask owners about any reported problems and then give a score per 100 vehicles. The raw data JD Power collects does break down the type of problem, but not the overall score that is presented.

So owners who could not get their bluetooth to pair with the car would report that as a problem and it would get presented on the same level as a car with a transmission failure.

Here's an article about it: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/...ility-opinion/
I've said this same thing in so many threads. These "dependability ratings" are so misleading yet continue to be used.
RDX10 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

We all know what the reality is. I have had good and bad luck with Japanese brand. I got stranded once in my life and it is by a Honda. But do i really believe BMW is more "dependable" than Honda? i dont think so.

But on the other hand I also dont think Germans nowadays are less or more reliable than others. The issue is how much it costs when things break down.
That is the major difference between Europeans and others.
The following 7 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
F23A4 (02-21-2018), JT4 (02-16-2018), juniorbean (02-15-2018), kurtatx (02-23-2018), mrmako (02-15-2018), teh CL (02-17-2018), ttribe (02-21-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
We all know what the reality is. I have had good and bad luck with Japanese brand. I got stranded once in my life and it is by a Honda. But do i really believe BMW is more "dependable" than Honda? i dont think so.

But on the other hand I also dont think Germans nowadays are less or more reliable than others. The issue is how much it costs when things break down.
That is the major difference between Europeans and others.
Agreed. We've been a German household (for our primary) for about 13 years now and reliability-wise, they've been on par with the Japanese (and even American) stuff we've owned.

That said, maintenance will cost more as will service. But that's understood from the beginning and is never a surprise, so I don't count it as a negative. The stigma seems to follow German brands even after the early to mid-2000s since they got their act together, but that's just people being people. Kind of how a lot of folks still see diesel cars today the same way they saw them back in the 80s...

Things change but perception is slower to catch-up to reality...
Old 02-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by svtmike
Because they don’t support your confirmation bias? I bet you believe that Audi is not close to Lexus.
Confirmation Bias? Give me a break. Read the 2 posts I’ve quoted below then read what I wrote again and come back to me with “confirmation bias”.

Originally Posted by wackjum

Thank you

Update, now at 116k and still hasn't sh1t the bed though the power steering pump did. Probably going to swap it out soon.

I've said this same thing in so many threads. These "dependability ratings" are so misleading yet continue to be used.
Thank you also.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Agreed. We've been a German household (for our primary) for about 13 years now and reliability-wise, they've been on par with the Japanese (and even American) stuff we've owned.

That said, maintenance will cost more as will service. But that's understood from the beginning and is never a surprise, so I don't count it as a negative. The stigma seems to follow German brands even after the early to mid-2000s since they got their act together, but that's just people being people. Kind of how a lot of folks still see diesel cars today the same way they saw them back in the 80s...

Things change but perception is slower to catch-up to reality...
I’m not and never have been a Japanese brand humper. You know, those people who think Japanese brands are the most reliable cars ever and will never ever have issues. Because that is bullshit, look at where Acuras are right now. I think that nothing comes close to being as visceral and communicative as the German brands, the way their cars feel when you drive them has not been matched yet by any other brand. 6/9 of my vehicles have been German.

With that said, when things typically go wrong with Japanese luxury vehicles they are cheaper to repair and generally easier to fix vs the German counterparts. People tend to get less burned by non-German brands when it comes to repairs and that’s why the perception of german cars being difficult still holds.

My most recent experience with German cars is a 2011 BMW X5 35i (3.0 turbo gas engine) owned by my brother in law, at 100k kms (60k miles) his turbo failed and they wanted a very large sum to repair it. He instead dumped it. He took really good care of his X5, oil changes on time and everything. I had a 2004 X5 4.4 that developed a NASTY oil leak at 60k miles so I dumped it, a few years later I bought a 2008 X5 with the 4.8I and it developed the common valve cover leak, as well as the wonderful coolant tube valley leak AND the valve seal leak where my mechanic literally told me “Get rid of it” rather than trying to fix it because it required the engine to be taken apart practically. So is it not understandable that I am weary with germans cars, particularly BMW’s? Recent BMW’s are probably better, however it’s still very early on to say they are more reliable than Toyotas or other Japanese brands.

But putting what I just wrote above way aside, the reason I do not believe these dependability surveys (including consumer reports) is for the reasons outlined above, not because of my own personal “confirmation bias”. Because for the record I believe it when they say porsche is at the top of reliability. Recent Porsches are incredibly solid.

Last edited by RDX10; 02-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

^ the issue boiled down to the cost.... #1 you should expect to pay more when things to wrong. #2, I would not buy any German car without a good extended warranty. Not because it breaks down easily but the cost is too high.

Put CL-S/Accord issues aside, i think we all know what is up with those.

One of my s2000's engine just seized around 30k miles for no reason. it was covered under warranty, but it would have cost a lot if i did not have the warranty.
My first car, 1997 Avalon, car would not idle and blue smoke would come out when it had 60k miles. I noticed a lot of Toyota's V6 in that era have the same issue.

The bottom line is they all break, it just one costs more than others to fix. The ownership cost is higher because it is a premium brand and that is just the same for all premium brand product, not just the auto industry.
Premium and low cost do not belong in the same sentence.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

^ the issue boiled down to the cost.... #1 you should expect to pay more when things to wrong. #2, I would not buy any German car without a good extended warranty. Not because it breaks down easily but the cost is too high.

Put CL-S/Accord issues aside, i think we all know what is up with those.

One of my s2000's engine just seized around 30k miles for no reason. it was covered under warranty, but it would have cost a lot if i did not have the warranty.
My first car, 1997 Avalon, car would not idle and blue smoke would come out when it had 60k miles. I noticed a lot of Toyota's V6 in that era have the same issue.

The bottom line is they all break, it just one costs more than others to fix. The ownership cost is higher because it is a premium brand and that is just the same for all premium brand product, not just the auto industry.
Premium and low cost do not belong in the same sentence.
It’s not impossible for the non-German brands to have catastrophic failures. It’s also not impossible for a German car to be completely rock solid (I hear about these cases all the time). What you wrote is exactly what I was saying above, that because of increased repair cost German cars get a lot more flack. If Car A (non-German) had an engine seize up and it costs $3000 to fix it whereas Car B (German) also had the same issue and it cost $10000 to fix it.....it’s not hard to imagine that the person with Car A would be less vocal about it (granted he can afford it). This is just a long way of saying I understand why German brands have their reputation. Most people who buy German cars dump them at around the warranty end period or 100k kms and then the next owner who bought it for a fraction of the original cost and wasn’t prepared to pay for repairs complains. I get all of that.

My initial comment was about how much faith I have in these dependability surveys. You know, because bluetooth pairing issues and the engine melting down are both on the same level. You guys are making it sound like I have something against Germans and I don’t, I’m simply stating that these surveys are bullshit. Do I honestly think a BMW and a Toyota have the same dependability? No. But that is not to say Toyota has never made a lemon and that BMW has never made a perfectly solid car. My personal experiences with BMW’s vs other brands dictates my outlook on the brand. Just go and look at my signature, I had a 2007 MDX Elite and it was a POS. I don’t really have any brand loyalty whatsoever. I profess to loving VAG and VAG products, but go see my post on current VW’s in the VW Arteom section.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Confirmation Bias? Give me a break. Read the 2 posts I’ve quoted below then read what I wrote again and come back to me with “confirmation bias”.

Thank you

Thank you also.
See? You agreed with two statements that in your mind support your bias. But those statements do not provide any proof whatsoever that the data in the survey is incorrect. Are bluetooth pairing problems isolated to a single brand? Engine problems? Transmission problems? No data. Is one person not having a transmission problem with one car in any way relevant to the results? No.

I don't know how you can straight-faced deny your bias and thus your ready acceptance of what confirms it and rejection of anything that doesn't confirm it.

If what you're saying is you can't use the survey results to predict what specific problems you might be more likely to experience with any particular car, well.... no shit.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

See? You agreed with two statements that in your mind support your bias. But those statements do not provide any proof whatsoever that the data in the survey is incorrect. Are bluetooth pairing problems isolated to a single brand? Engine problems? Transmission problems? No data. Is one person not having a transmission problem with one car in any way relevant to the results? No.

I don't know how you can straight-faced deny your bias and thus your ready acceptance of what confirms it and rejection of anything that doesn't confirm it.

If what you're saying is you can't use the survey results to predict what specific problems you might be more likely to experience with any particular car, well.... no shit.
Can you explain to me what my bias is because you know me better than I know myself apparently? If you are saying that I am biased against German cars, if it helps you, if these results were the other way around I still would not have faith in them. Are you saying I am biased because I don’t beleive in these surveys?

I don’t think you’re understanding me. I do not have faith in any of these surveys at all because they get their data from owners who choose to report in. It has nothing to do with what brand goes where on their little numbers chart. I also do not have faith in these surveys because of how they rate issues. So legitimately I am confused at this point about what you are claiming my bias is.

I agree with those 2 posts because they both are in line with my point of view on self selection surveys, nothing to do with the brands. So if you can explain to me what my bias is, I can then understand where you are coming from.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

Can you explain to me what my bias is because you know me better than I know myself apparently? If you are saying that I am biased against German cars, if it helps you, if these results were the other way around I still would not have faith in them. Are you saying I am biased because I don’t beleive in these surveys?

I don’t think you’re understanding me. I do not have faith in any of these surveys at all because they get their data from owners who choose to report in. It has nothing to do with what brand goes where on their little numbers chart. I also do not have faith in these surveys because of how they rate issues. So legitimately I am confused at this point about what you are claiming my bias is.

I agree with those 2 posts because they both are in line with my point of view on self selection surveys, nothing to do with the brands. So if you can explain to me what my bias is, I can then understand where you are coming from.
You responded to a statement that the survey says BMW is as reliable as Toyota with Which is why I have zero faith in these surveys.

I was unfortunately unable to read what you would write later. How else should I have interpreted that exchange?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Everyone is so willing to throw these results away, but don't think of these metrics as a measure of cost (ie engine problems) and they make more sense. They're a measure of warranty visits to the dealership. That's really it. If a customer can't figure out infotainment and they go to the dealership, that is 90% of the time the manufacturer's fault. Cross-referenced with something like Consumer Reports, you can actually see what is the likely root cause of the issues seen in JD Power. Then, for drivability you can look a C&D, Top Gear, or other sources. With JD Power AND CS, you can actually figure out that Acura/Honda suddenly forgot how to work transmissions with the new TLX and caused a great deal of heartache in the early years of the car.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but if you buy a car without cross-referencing multiple reviews and metrics, you're an idiot and you get what you deserve. There are no perfect sources or metrics, but for every thread like this, there's another one for CS where Acura buyers in particular like to throw shade at the numbers (Not surprising because Acura is low rated by most metrics).
Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

You responded to a statement that the survey says BMW is as reliable as Toyota with Which is why I have zero faith in these surveys.

I was unfortunately unable to read what you would write later. How else should I have interpreted that exchange?
Honestly I can see where you’re coming from (unlike one person who shall remain nameless - and we all already know who I’m talking about - I’m not just here to cause fights lol), I was trying to make a general statement about my opinion on these types of surveys. But in replying to his statement it came off wrong. But everything I said thereafter is my honest opinion lol.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Everyone is so willing to throw these results away, but don't think of these metrics as a measure of cost (ie engine problems) and they make more sense. They're a measure of warranty visits to the dealership. That's really it. If a customer can't figure out infotainment and they go to the dealership, that is 90% of the time the manufacturer's fault. Cross-referenced with something like Consumer Reports, you can actually see what is the likely root cause of the issues seen in JD Power. Then, for drivability you can look a C&D, Top Gear, or other sources. With JD Power AND CS, you can actually figure out that Acura/Honda suddenly forgot how to work transmissions with the new TLX and caused a great deal of heartache in the early years of the car.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but if you buy a car without cross-referencing multiple reviews and metrics, you're an idiot and you get what you deserve. There are no perfect sources or metrics, but for every thread like this, there's another one for CS where Acura buyers in particular like to throw shade at the numbers (Not surprising because Acura is low rated by most metrics).
Personally I disregard these surverys because of reasons stated above. More than anything I go to forums and see what real life owners are saying about their cars because a lot of issues don’t pop up until a little while into ownership. Of course this means I wait a couple years before buying a new model In terms of drive-ability I consult things like car and driver, auto-guide, motortrend....etc....I agree that it’s important to consult multiple sources before buying a car but I don’t always agree. For example Consumer reports rated the brand new Lincoln navigator as non-refommended despite just coming out....You could argue that they use info from other models with similar parts but the Navigator is a brand new model and who’s to say it won’t be more reliable as a newer year/generation.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:57 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
They really need to do long term surveys that cover 100-200k. That is more realistic. Initial quality surveys mean crap to me.
RDX10 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:34 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread a while back, IMO I think the problem is with the new owners lack of knowing how to properly use the features that current vehicles have, such as the ever complex infotainment system, and then complaining about them. The more features a vehicle has the more they complain, and by doing so this is part of what is bringing the ratings for all brands.

BTW, I am not talking about if a system blacks out, freezes or is ridiculously slow to respond, that would be a legit complaint. As would if there were creaks, rattles, trans issues etc. What I mean is when people get annoyed because they have to go through two or three sub menus to get to the heated seat control, or can't get car play to work, or don't like a particular "mouse controller" and then complain about it in a survey..

How is this fair? After all, it's not the vehicles fault that the owner didn't do his or her due diligence before buying the vehicle, or in a lot of cases hasn't even read the owners manual yet... So with that being said IMO complaints like these should not be counted / allowed in these surveys.

In addition, I feel that the initial quality surveys should be sent sometime between 3 to 5 months after taking delivery, not 3 weeks..

Last edited by JT4; 02-16-2018 at 07:37 AM.
RDX10 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dallison
They really need to do long term surveys that cover 100-200k. That is more realistic. Initial quality surveys mean crap to me.
This would be amazing, but sadly it would do the reviweing company no good because it would be years down the line where they have a goo enough sample size. Motortrend tends to keep cars for the first 50k miles and every 10k miles-ish they post updates which I really like because they live with the cars day to day and you get a real sense of the issues.

Originally Posted by JT4
As I mentioned in another thread a while back, IMO I think the problem is with the new owners lack of knowing how to properly use the features that current vehicles have, such as the ever complex infotainment system, and then complaining about them. The more features a vehicle has the more they complain, and by doing so this is part of what is bringing the ratings for all brands.

BTW, I am not talking about if a system blacks out, freezes or is ridiculously slow to respond, that would be a legit complaint. As would if there were creaks, rattles, trans issues etc. What I mean is when people get annoyed because they have to go through two or three sub menus to get to the heated seat control, or can't get car play to work, or don't like a particular "mouse controller" and then complain about it in a survey..

How is this fair? After all, it's not the vehicles fault that the owner didn't do his or her due diligence before buying the vehicle, or in a lot of cases hasn't even read the owners manual yet... So with that being said IMO complaints like these should not be counted / allowed in these surveys.

In addition, I feel that the initial quality surveys should be sent sometime between 3 to 5 months after taking delivery, not 3 weeks..
See this is part of why I don’t like these surveys. The way these surveys gather info is by asking people who bought the cars to complete the survey. The inherent issue with that is it brings in something called “self-selection bias” which in stats means the results mean jack shit because it’s technically non-randomized. Yes they randomly send out the letters to people however people with issues are more likely to respond vs those who either have no issues or are just not in the mood to fill this survey out. Typically you want a bell curve when doing stats but with these types of surveys you don’t get that.

Sidenote: Kia always gets the award for J.D powers initial quality report and they make a huge fuss about it in every ad they make here.....I always think like who gives a shit about initial quality, what does that tell me about long term quality and reliability. Really every car should do well on initial quality, it’s down the line where shit hits the fan.
JT4 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I look at J D Powers, but it will never be what makes me pick or not pick a new vehicle, for reasons that must be close to those you express.

I bought my 2014 KC2 (which wasn't even available until 10/2014) knowing that problems had kept them in Japan until they'd been sorted enough to warrant delivery to dealers.

And even then...I had to go through a process of about a dozen TSB before the car was sorted.

But, you know what?

The things that would make you hold onto a car long term, the performance of the car, the concept behind the car, the solid indefatigable nature of the gasoline motor, the 7 speed DCT, the three electric motors, the overall comfort and long term livability...those things have all been quite solid and I can very well see this car soldiering on for 200,000 miles.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Most people don't own a car for anywhere near that long.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Most people don't own a car for anywhere near that long.
Some people say that the prevalence of leased vehicles has been responsible for an overall decline in quality of materials and workmanship.

I drive too much to lease, unfortunately. Nobody writes a lease for what I do. :-)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Some people say that the prevalence of leased vehicles has been responsible for an overall decline in quality of materials and workmanship.

I drive too much to lease, unfortunately. Nobody writes a lease for what I do. :-)
Probably. Depending on the car in question, it makes sense to lease a lot of them. For example, lease payments on a 3 series will be equal to something like 8-9 years of payments to buy it outright. At that point you probably would have had to buy a different car anyway and had to eat all that depreciation yourself.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I don't think anyone can defend Acura's choice in the 9 spd tranny in the TLX. Nor can anyone justify buying an ILX over a fully loaded Civic. RLX? Oh boy...

Interesting this thread has been brought back to life just as Acura is making new strides. The RDX and MDX are top of their class. Acura finally gave us a TLX worth looking at with the A-Spec. I can't wait to drive the new RDX.

Surveys mean little to me - have you met the majority of the mouth breathers we share the air with? People complain about the most trivial things. Not to mention, who's got time to fill those things out? Bored people with nothing better to do than find things to nitpick about. Go to your local town or county board meetings some time...meet the people who fill out surveys...

Anywho...I've had 4 Acuras, 2 Hondas, 6 Toyotas, 3 Pontiacs, 3 BMW's, 1 Chevy, and 1 Dodge - and guess what? The only vehicle I've owned that never had an issue past wearable items is the Dodge!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Damn, your Dodge must have been built on a Wednesday. Lucky.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I don't think anyone can defend Acura's choice in the 9 spd tranny in the TLX
I do. With such an assumption, no surprise that you got that 2015 ugly homer-mobile .

The ZF9 has been a very good transmission, since 2016. Even better in the 2018 (you should know with yours), and the Honda 10-speed is not really better. It is mechanically solid, and don't confuse its response with throttle programming.

Last edited by Saintor; 02-20-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saintor
I do. With such an assumption, no surprise that you got that 2015 ugly homer-mobile .

The ZF9 has been a very good transmission, since 2016. Even better in the 2018 (you should know with yours), and the Honda 10-speed is not really better. It is mechanically solid, and don't confuse its response with throttle programming.
huh? If you dont like the looks of the charger i think youre in the minority, but whatevs...

the transmission is still shit in the A-spec, yes its improved, but still much slower to react than the competition. Who cares if its mechanically solid, it should be fun to drive too! I leased the A-spec because they made me a deal i couldnt refuse. If i wasnt a return customer i would have most likely gone the German route. I have no problems bashing any company where they fail, thats how we get improved products! Dont think for a minute that the tranny Acura picked is a good decision!
RDX10 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM

huh? If you dont like the looks of the charger i think youre in the minority, but whatevs...

the transmission is still shit in the A-spec, yes its improved, but still much slower to react than the competition. Who cares if its mechanically solid, it should be fun to drive too! I leased the A-spec because they made me a deal i couldnt refuse. If i wasnt a return customer i would have most likely gone the German route. I have no problems bashing any company where they fail, thats how we get improved products! Dont think for a minute that the tranny Acura picked is a good decision!

Care to explain why you bought that TLX A-SPEC again?

I agree that the ZF9 is totally infuriating but in M/Sport Plus + (not the regular Sport). Otherwise, it is programmed to keep most of the time under 2000rpm. But in M/Sport+ mode, absolutely no complaint. It is a wonderful transmission, no shame at all. Like a ZF8 would do.... you can't get it until you get away from the eco/normal/sport mode, really. Did you?

Bother you to switch in M/Sport+ mode? Well at least you got that option. In my previous BMW, I didn't have that option stock. I spent $350 to add a "module"to change the throttle mapping.... and it is all about that, throttle mapping, NOT transmission' s fault at all.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
We all know what's going on at Acura. For a company slightly smaller than the big automakers, they focus heavily on the mainstream models and add "premium" models with limited scope due to the increased cost with R&D.

Honda runs Acura and prefers the H brand over the A brand. It is continually evident.

Now, I'm getting out before the maggots ruins another thread.
RDX10 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
I don't think anyone can defend Acura's choice in the 9 spd tranny in the TLX. Nor can anyone justify buying an ILX over a fully loaded Civic. RLX? Oh boy...

Interesting this thread has been brought back to life just as Acura is making new strides. The RDX and MDX are top of their class. Acura finally gave us a TLX worth looking at with the A-Spec. I can't wait to drive the new RDX.

Surveys mean little to me - have you met the majority of the mouth breathers we share the air with? People complain about the most trivial things. Not to mention, who's got time to fill those things out? Bored people with nothing better to do than find things to nitpick about. Go to your local town or county board meetings some time...meet the people who fill out surveys...

Anywho...I've had 4 Acuras, 2 Hondas, 6 Toyotas, 3 Pontiacs, 3 BMW's, 1 Chevy, and 1 Dodge - and guess what? The only vehicle I've owned that never had an issue past wearable items is the Dodge!!!
Originally Posted by Saintor

WTF does your response have to do with the comment 012TL-GLM made regarding the TLX trans? As you know the 9-speed trans gave a lot of customers / forum members problems in most 2015 and some 2016 TLX's, Why don't you refresh your memory and read the close to 2,500 post, 63 page thread that goes back to Oct 2014 over in the TLX section regarding the trans issues..

Acura may have finally gotten a handle on the trans issues now, some two years later, but that doesn't change the fact that the trans was shit. Even worse was the way Acura pissed all over their customer base by refusing to acknowledge the issue for a long time and just letting these customers deal with it.

And yet you try to discredit it by making a dumb ass comment about someone's Charger!!

We get it, every vehicle on the road is a POS except for the TLX.....BMW's, Infiniti's Chargers, Mercedes, Audi's (except for the 1986 5000TQ) etc. are all garbage. But again please enlighten all of us... WTF does his Charger have to do with an Acura trans??

Last edited by JT4; 02-21-2018 at 08:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JT4:
AZuser (02-22-2018), RDX10 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

LOL - Saintor do you need new glasses? You quoted my post where I said I got the A-Spec because they made me a deal I couldn't refuse. You should be banned until we get a doctor's note
Old 02-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
[moderator lurking]
The following 3 users liked this post by ttribe:
gatrhumpy (02-23-2018), juniorbean (02-22-2018), kurtatx (02-21-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thread cleaned and all of the nonsense removed.

Here's the deal with Saintor... he posts what he wants to post and voices his opinion. And he's allowed to post his opinion, whether you feel it's right or wrong is irrelevant, no matter how contradictory it is to other statements he has made previously, regardless of what brand or whatever he's standing behind that day. And yes, sometimes his logic is circular. None of those are TOS violations.

However, the problem is less him and more everyone else. When he posts... 95% of the time he is attacked first by one of your (your as in other members in general) replies. Does he bait sometimes? Yes, but you take it. And yes, once in a while he'll throw in a jab about someone's car (like the Charger comment), but most of the time he'll post something... some won't agree, then those some will attack him. Can't speak for other sections, but that's how it is in Car Talk. When he has violated the TOS he has been banned. A few times actually.

So here's the deal... if you don't like him or what he posts... don't engage him. If you haven't figured out his M-O by now, then that's on you. Put him on your ignore list or simply scroll past his replies. It's really that easy. We're not going to ban a member for posting their opinion (regardless of what it is) b/c other members don't have self-control and can't just keep scrolling.

That said, this is the last post about Saintor in here. If this thread goes off-track again after this post, we'll look into time off for whoever steers it that way. If he posts something you don't like, feel free to reply if you'd like, but don't complain if the result of the conversation doesn't go your way b/c you should know what you're getting into ahead of time by now. If you want to reply to correct some facts but he keeps coming at you, you're not going to win. Let him have his opinion and walk away. You've said your piece, so move on. It's that simple. Going back and forth over an over makes you part of the problem and not a solution.

Last edited by juniorbean; 02-22-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling is hard
The following 3 users liked this post by juniorbean:
F23A4 (02-23-2018), JT4 (02-22-2018), RPhilMan1 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Speaking of "what's wrong with Acura", why would you buy an RLX or TLX when you can do this.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719048394/overview/
y.
It seems Genesis has picked up their game quite a bit, and this seems like a good deal of car for the mone
Old 02-23-2018, 12:25 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
That's really cheap!