What does the public think about working on your own car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I could pay to have someone else do all my repair work. But the question i ask myself is why? Why pay someone to do something i can do, especially when im willing to do it. I DONT care what others may think of me doing things myself. Im fine with it. If you want to waste thousands of dollars on something to be repaired thats your money not mine, but when i can do it for the cost of parts, It just means i get to spend that much more on my family for things they want/need, surprise vacations etc.. (or myself to make my car more fun for me)

I get asked all the time where did you learn to do this or that or aren't you afraid you are going to break something?? My response is always the same. I learned to do it by sitting down, looking at it and doing it. Aren't i afraid of breaking something? well if im replacing it it usually means its already broken. so no im not. If there is something i start to struggle with that is the time i walk away from it, grab a soda/beer take some time to drink it while looking at what it is im having issues with (not working on it) and just take the time to clear the head and think of other ways of going about the issue.

The other reason i do things my self is if i do it myself i dont have to worry about is the job done right, did the actual work get done, and i also get to know what else is coming up in terms of maintenance and not have to wonder/worry about the mech that worked on my car.
Amen brutha.
I learned everything I know from this guy j/k
But I do have Kris on speed dial if I get stuck. Chances are he's already fixed what I'm trying to fix.

Last edited by NSXNEXT; 09-04-2016 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (12-24-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
My families mechanic of 35 years, we probably sent one his one his kids to college with all the work we gave him over that time period. He kind of likes that I work on my own car. Personally, I save a lot of time and money doing my own stuff, time especially. Where I live it`s kind of the norm to work on your car as well as small engine work.

Anyways, I do all my own work on my car that I am comfortable doing.
All fluid changes, oil, tranny, brake, radiator.
Brakes, rotors, calipers and pads.
Motor mounts.
Air filter
Spark Plugs

I am really busy and do the normal maintenance and send it to the mechanic for things like suspension etc.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I was replacing a sprinkler our HOA provided lawn people hit, when someone pulled in and asked what I was doing. I explained the mower hit the sprinkler (wish I could cut my own grass) and he looked at me like I was insane and told me he has a guy that could fix it. I explained it was a $9 sprinkler head and simply screwed off and then a new one screwed on.

While confused, he said it was great I could do stuff like this and noted my wife's car looked good after I washed it and said he wished he could wash his car Dude is perfectly capable of washing his car, not in a wheel chair or anything.

People here aren't offended by working on cars or yards but just amazed I can do it; so odd.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Wished he could wash his own car.
I spent a good bit of yesterday afternoon getting our Flex cleaned up. I actually enjoy it when it's not 250% humidity. Still need to pull the car seats out & do the interior.
justnspace (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^wasnt it an awesome morning, yesterday!?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^wasnt it an awesome morning, yesterday!?
Yesterday was fantastic weather-wise.
More rain coming this week.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Little late to the party, but take a look at this:

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars - Autoblog
Old 12-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I was plenty of good will when I bought my Bentley manual to work on that BMW. After all I changed timing belt in different cars a while ago.

On my last BMW, I changed all brakes/rotors, but overall it wasn't all that productive. Often I needed specialized tools that I had not. And I bought a few of them - I was even able to get BMW-specific OBD codes.

It would have been easier if I had a lift or something.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:22 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 115 Posts
Well to jump in here, I am one of two people in my immediate neighborhood that still cuts their own grass. Everyone else has a lawn service.
I also winterized my own sprinkler system for the first time this fall instead of paying someone to do it. I watched the guy do it last year. Turn off water, open valve to let drain, insert hose from compressor, turn on compressor and cycle through all of the valves to blow the water out. I already had the compressor, but even if I didn't, one $90 visit to winterize the sprinkler system and it would have come close to paying for it. I was already doing the "de-winterize myself, but my neighbor still pays the service $90 to turn two screws and turn two valves. I guess they check that the zones / heads are all working while they are there, but that only takes me 15 minutes.

I do most of the work my motorcycles except suspension internals and internal motor work.I do some work on the cars, but my 2 motorcycles, lawn mower, generator, and snow thrower keep me busy enough that I usually don't mess too much with the cars outside of basic maintenance, running scans and small fixes. The internet rocks for finding small fix how to videos or pictures with instructions. With that resource, more people should be doing their own stuff not less.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Blueyam
Well to jump in here, I am one of two people in my immediate neighborhood that still cuts their own grass. Everyone else has a lawn service.
I also winterized my own sprinkler system for the first time this fall instead of paying someone to do it. I watched the guy do it last year. Turn off water, open valve to let drain, insert hose from compressor, turn on compressor and cycle through all of the valves to blow the water out. I already had the compressor, but even if I didn't, one $90 visit to winterize the sprinkler system and it would have come close to paying for it. I was already doing the "de-winterize myself, but my neighbor still pays the service $90 to turn two screws and turn two valves. I guess they check that the zones / heads are all working while they are there, but that only takes me 15 minutes.
Sounds like you have a potential business venture providing a very useful service to your neighbors for a fraction of the price

($80)
2Blueyam (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 115 Posts
I offered to do it for free for my next door neighbor who has the exact same system. Building good will with the next door neighbor is worth way more than $80. He declined, but I will ask against next year. Maybe not a bad idea to make sure my winterization all went OK first anyway. No way to know for sure until spring!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
That Autoblog article appears to discuss strictly modifying ECUs. That's not even "repairing cars".

Originally Posted by 2Blueyam
I offered to do it for free for my next door neighbor who has the exact same system. Building good will with the next door neighbor is worth way more than $80. He declined, but I will ask against next year. Maybe not a bad idea to make sure my winterization all went OK first anyway. No way to know for sure until spring!
That opens up an interesting conversation though - working on other peoples' stuff.

I declined to replace a thermostat in a friend's Civic the other day because it was something I hadn't done before. I know it's an easy job, and would have no problem doing it on my car. But working on someone else's car shouldn't be a learning experience.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
That Autoblog article appears to discuss strictly modifying ECUs. That's not even "repairing cars".

That opens up an interesting conversation though - working on other peoples' stuff.
So my neighbor across the street is kind of a gear head. Always working on his cars and others. Over the last couple of months the amount of cars he has been working on has gone through the roof! For about a week a car was parked in front of my house so I asked him to move it. He said it doesn't run but he would get it moved. Three days goes by..not moved. So I asked him again. He said as soon as I get a space over on my side yard I will move it. I said, no. It gets moved today or the city will hear about it. He stomps off. Yesterday morning I get up. There are 3 cop cars at his house. Seems his other neighbor that he has a car in front of their house called the cops on him for running air tools in the wee hours of the morning. The cops came to investigate, saw a meth pipe on his bench, dug a little deeper and found more meth. He went to jail. So, as I left for work this morning...a tow truck came and pulled that car and 2 more away. No sign of said neighbor.

Moral of the story, if you are going to work on other peoples cars and do meth, don't operate air tools in the wee hours of the morning.

What an idiot.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1killercls:
TacoBello (12-23-2016), TylerT (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Old 12-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Old 12-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I used to work on my cars almost everyday when i was in school. It was because it was a hobby and I loved working on my cars, from oil change, coilovers, baking headlights and pretty much any kind of DIY.

As I am getting older, i noticed i start losing interest in modifying cars and at the same time dont want to work on cars anymore. I'd rather spend the time doing other things. Still love cars, just not the same way as before.

I installed some low beam LED bulbs in my GF's civic last weekend and the driver side coolant reservoir was a bitch to put back in without removing the battery (lazy). Got so frustrated, i remember saying this is why i dont like working on cars anymore

so yah i am just lazy... but more props for people who do work on their own cars. One day those people who never worked on their cars will come to you and ask for you advice with their car issues.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I used to work on my cars almost everyday when i was in school. It was because it was a hobby and I loved working on my cars, from oil change, coilovers, baking headlights and pretty much any kind of DIY.

As I am getting older, i noticed i start losing interest in modifying cars and at the same time dont want to work on cars anymore. I'd rather spend the time doing other things. Still love cars, just not the same way as before.

I installed some low beam LED bulbs in my GF's civic last weekend and the driver side coolant reservoir was a bitch to put back in without removing the battery (lazy). Got so frustrated, i remember saying this is why i dont like working on cars anymore

so yah i am just lazy... but more props for people who do work on their own cars. One day those people who never worked on their cars will come to you and ask for you advice with their car issues.
Same here. Now I just want to buy a car that has almost everything I want from the factory. I'll still change things out (suspension, exhaust, bolt-ons, and cosmetic) but I can't be bothered to do any fluid changes anymore. Luckily I have some mechanic friends with accesses to lifts that can do it on the cheap for me.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

Yah having a gf when we were in the teens/20s are not the same as having a gf at my age now..... They used be able to wait with you for hours at a shop waiting for the cars to be done... Now? It will become an endless argument start with finance, to spending time to every topic there is in this world.

So cant do that anymore.
RPhilMan1 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Yah having a gf when we were in the teens/20s are not the same as having a gf at my age now..... They used be able to wait with you for hours at a shop waiting for the cars to be done... Now? It will become an endless argument start with finance, to spending time to every topic there is in this world.

So cant do that anymore.
It's different when it's their car though
Old 12-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Absolutely..... and we never complain....
Old 12-23-2016, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
This....
Legal Battle Over Disabled Neighbor's Garage Heads to State Supreme Court
Old 12-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Of course at some point in your life you may be wasting time or loosing fixing your car. U make way more money doing your job than spending a weekend to do something major with your car.

And it also sounds cool "I don't have time to deal with this car fixing" makes people feel you are upper crust. "I bettrt check my stock portfolio and catch up with real estate market" In reality a lot of these "blue colar" professionals are cheap skaters, posers. Saving on toilet paper and laundry detergent. Behind curtains of course.

I do diy because I only met 2-3 mechanics who actually do things right. Most of them are high school drop outs. Parts unbolters from junk yards. Lazy. Was working on custom exhaust.. brought my car for one final weld up that required a pipe bent. They guy used a very narrow pipe with like .5cm gap between my pipes and new pipe. I asked to expand the pipe a bit more so air flows smoother without bottleneck/air pocket.. "I am not expanding this pipe.. fit is good enough I'll weld up the gap. I told him to lower the car I'll find someone else. Perfect example. Just Slap Shet togethet and Go fuck off.
If u have high standards of worksmanship.. not just quick fix for few months. you definitely want diy .
Most jobs don't take more than few hours anyway.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Interesting that this thread was bumped. I had a run-in with a neighbor recently who passively/aggressively doesn't seem to like me working on my cars.

The two neighbors I have on my immediate sides are fine with it. As a matter of fact, they have asked for rides in the 911. But one neighbor came by and wished me a happy holidays and asked if I have many kids (I have one 13 year old). I said no. So then she asked if I had a car dealership (I knew she was trying to get at why I have so many cars) and wanted to politely remind me that I can't store cars or operate a business from home.

As a note, I currently have 2 extra cars in the driveway. My wife's family is out of town until after New Years so I took their cars to fix them up and drive them around (at their request).
Old 12-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
^^^That is one thing that sucks....can't choose your neighbors.

One thing from that news link above.....I will need to be VERY VERY careful about buying homes in any HOAs.

I can see many HOAs with rules about not working on your car in your driveway for fear of blue-collarizing the neighborhood.

In my local city, there was a house owner cited for parking his RV in his driveway....which was against HOA rules. And another national story that was about a guy who cound't even park his truck in his driveway due to some restrictive HOA rules....
Old 12-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Fk HOA going to look for a house with a lot of lands so I people can't bother me
Old 12-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
I can see many HOAs with rules about not working on your car in your driveway for fear of blue-collarizing the neighborhood.
Blue collars? The humanity.

Sorry, I know you're not saying you share that opinion. Just sounds crazy this is something people are concerned about.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Blue collars? The humanity.

Sorry, I know you're not saying you share that opinion. Just sounds crazy this is something people are concerned about.
Oh I think it's disgusting.

Obviously no one wants to see a junk yard 24/7 on their yard/driveway and as long as its not violating local codes you should do what you legally want on your own property.

Another reason to be very careful of HOAs....
Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
Oh I think it's disgusting.

Obviously no one wants to see a junk yard 24/7 on their yard/driveway and as long as its not violating local codes you should do what you legally want on your own property.

Another reason to be very careful of HOAs....
thought about it and yes. Have to agree.. be a nice neighbor. Don't turn your home into junk yard . I have enclosed garage. If u do things outside try to be quick) without "I can do whatever I want " attitudes .
Old 12-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by MrVtech
thought about it and yes. Have to agree.. be a nice neighbor. Don't turn your home into junk yard . I have enclosed garage. If u do things outside try to be quick) without "I can do whatever I want " attitudes .
Usually I try to do everything within a day. But recently Amazon screwed me over. I was changing the driver's lower control arm on my truck. Time was kind of short so I started work on it knowing the new one would be arriving that day from Amazon.

It turns out, they didn't deliver the part until near 7 PM, and it was the wrong part (right box, wrong part inside).

I had to leave my truck on a jackstand while I waited for them to ship the new part. You would not have been able to tell from the street except that I had to leave a jack on the side of the truck supporting the wheel hub assembly. It was there for a few days. I'm sure this was probably part of what attracted the downstreet neighbor's attention.

I really wanted to avoid buying locally because Autozone etc were carrying inferior parts for twice the price. (Dorman for $160 vs Amazon's Moog for $75).
Old 12-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

I say, if your car is not leaking oil everywhere, then some of those nosy neighbors need to mind their fuking business. I swear.