What do you think of the new '01 BMW M3 and Mini Cooper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of the new '01 BMW M3 and Mini Cooper?

Hi all,

I love my '01 CL Type S, 12,800 happy miles so far (my wife even liked it so much that she bought a CL Premium at the same time, so we have an almost matched pair). The only thing I sorely miss is a manual trans. I thought I could deal with an automatic, but, it's getting to me. So, I've been thinking about what the next car might be.

What do you all think about the new '01 BMW M3, and the Mini Cooper? I know this is an incongruous pair of cars to be considering, but I like them both.

The new M3 seems like it could have it all - tremendous power and performance (sweet 333 hp in-line 6), 6 speed manual, great handling, yet roomy and practical enough to be a daily driver (except for it being RWD, which could be a problem in north-east winters). I put a deposit down on one, with delivery possible (maybe) late this year. But - is it really worth $20k more than a CL Type S? And will it go in the snow?

The Mini Cooper S also really appeals to me. Spunky, fun, stylish, and with 160 hp in a 2000 or so lb car (which should be easy to mod to around 200 hp), it should be pretty fast. Also a lot cheaper than a M3 - maybe low-mid $20's when it comes out next year.

So - what do you all think?

Thanks!

------------------
Nick L
'01 CL Type S Red/Tan
'01 CL Premium Black/Tan (wife's car)
'93 Porche 911 (mid-life crisis car)
'99 Mazda Miata (everyone needs a convertible)
Old 03-11-2001, 02:59 AM
Race Director

with either Nokian (preffered) or Blizzak's you will be fine.

My neighbor drives his bmw z4 in the winter with snow tires, he looks like an idiot, but his car goes.

oh and if you get the MINI, i cant be your friend anymore. thats IN MY OPINION the stupidest car ever, more dumb than the beetle. It would be cute for a young girl to drive, but thats it.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-11-2001, 03:48 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
oh and if you get the MINI, i cant be your friend anymore. thats IN MY OPINION the stupidest car ever, more dumb than the beetle. It would be cute for a young girl to drive, but thats it.</font>
Amir, dude, you really should do a bit of research before you start mouthing off. I know you're a pimp and all with your VP position and cologne, but you are clue-free.

The original Mini handles like a fucking go-kart. Just point and shoot. The new Mini S has the potential to be a REAL monster and a tuner in the UK is already planning a works version to exceed 200HP easily. These mods will be made available to the general public as well. I think it's fucking brilliant and I want one. Not as a daily driver, but as a weekend warrior. At ~$25K for the Cooper S I can handle putting one into the wall at the track and not cry about it. Watch for this little mother to DOMINATE at the auto-X. ITR owners are in for a real upset.

------------------
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 03-11-2001, 07:51 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I like the new mini but i don't think I would pay $18k for one. My next project car is going to be an old mini with a b16a. Those things are fast as hell. I just need to find somebody in the states to do the swap for me. That is a popular swap in europe but it hasn't caught on over here yet.
Old 03-11-2001, 08:47 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
Amir, dude, you really should do a bit of research before you start mouthing off. I know you're a pimp and all with your VP position and cologne, but you are clue-free.

The original Mini handles like a fucking go-kart. Just point and shoot. The new Mini S has the potential to be a REAL monster and a tuner in the UK is already planning a works version to exceed 200HP easily. These mods will be made available to the general public as well. I think it's fucking brilliant and I want one. Not as a daily driver, but as a weekend warrior. At ~$25K for the Cooper S I can handle putting one into the wall at the track and not cry about it. Watch for this little mother to DOMINATE at the auto-X. ITR owners are in for a real upset.

</font>
ok, i am not VP anymore and now everyone keeps cologne in their car.

but anyways, if your thinking about a 01 M3 or a MINI COOPER...

yeah i have heard about the mini and its go-cart abilities..I think 25K for a "weekend warrior" is a bit much for a mini! for 25K i would buy yachts/snowmobiles/jet skis/ponies!! for weekends, not a 25K mini just for the track.

And we ALL know these things wont just pop up on the weekends and disapear mon-fri. There will always be the large majority of people who dont know anything about the car, just think its cool, buy and drive it daily.

If I had an extra 25K when i am older..and i have a yacht, jet/snow skis, a horse for the kids, a nice car for the wife, kids have school money, and we have all traveled tastefully to a limit..then yes, actually..no i still would not spend 25K to drive a mini on the weekends...i would wait a couple years and get that m3, or that exotic.

Sorry, just my taste. Car has to look hot, to drive hot to me. I also hate PT cruisers, Beetles, Azteks, 318ti, CRX's, all hatchback civics, and Z8's.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
My Bitch

[This message has been edited by amirsafdari (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old 03-11-2001, 06:25 PM
Acura_CL

Mini Cooper? Are you crazy? Those dopey little cars are death traps. You can have all the side impact bars, polymers you want... get T-boned by a Expedition or Suburban and you're toast.
I agree with Amir.
Those little Beetles just annoy me. Same with those queer Azteks and PTs. Now Ford is comming out with a similar mnonstrosity. Those dopey cars don't even have good specs. People buy them just to be different.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...698&a=11616550
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Old 03-11-2001, 06:26 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

hey nick--got any pics of the coming cooper??
Old 03-11-2001, 06:41 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

answering my own question:

http://www.mini2.com/

groovy little car.
Old 03-11-2001, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Plain and simple, the M3 is fucking sweet. I can only hope it will be my next car.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

DAMN, that MINI is UGLY.
I’m sure it’s a ball to drive, but I wouldn’t want to bee seen cruising in it.

The M3 is AWESOME, but I would be afraid to drive it as an everyday vehicle.
It would make a great “sunny day” car.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-11-2001, 11:50 PM
Intermediate

Hey NICK, if you like the Mini get it, f#*k
what everybody says, I like it myself.

STOCK/SILVER CL-S
Old 03-12-2001, 12:07 AM
Race Director

yeah get a Aztek too, Fuck everyone!

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
My Bitch
Old 03-12-2001, 12:09 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
yeah get a Aztek too, Fuck everyone!

</font>

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-12-2001, 12:47 AM