What do you think of advanced features on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
You know what has spoiled me is wheel controls. I use mine all the time I really love them. Whenever I get in someones car that doesn't have them I go to hit the button and than realize its not there.
There is a simpler way to control the wheels on the car, it's called the accelerator pedal. :troutslap
Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pmptx
In the interest of full disclosure, I have been pining for an S2K as a weekender for a long time so it hurts to see people tal k about giving up the baby.

Keep spinning and keep the S2K.
I'll second that. I had to sell my S2000 to make a down payment on a house. I still miss that car.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
i honestly dont even care for power windows too much either. just because when they break thats another ~100 out of your pocket. and i need a cup holder thats a definite.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
Add that to the Ron A thread! hahaha
I was waiting for it to say "Banned" under his name so I could take a snapshot and put it in that thread but it never happened
Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Meh. I drove a new LS460L and played around with it for a while (my auto professor gave me and a couple classmates the go ahead, so why not) and the thing is silky smooth and has all sorts of damn gadgets. There's a power trunk release and closer, there's a full reclining massage chair, and rear seat DVD entertainment system with 17(?) speakers (now THAT is cool). There's even a button that allows you to electronically adjust the seat belt shoulder height. You can even control the front passenger's power seat from the rear. And there's power rear sunshades for the passenger windows - unlike on some cars that you have to pull up.

Then again my car has almost nothing besides the basics.... I don't even have traction control. Power steering, windows, door locks, ABS, A/C, heater, rear window defroster - that's really all I need and I've been happy without anything else for over a year now. I don't use cruise control either. I've driven a car without power steering and it sucks when you park in tight spots but aside from that, its great.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I don't mind most of the new features, but I think the lane assist is fucking annoying.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
You can even control the front passenger's power seat from the rear.
That's good, hope you can lock the controls out for when there are 8 year olds in the back...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I see your point. But the car slowing down or speeding up on your behalf is already getting to that slippery slope. People may feel like they can keep their heads down looking at the radio for extending periods or worse, doze off because they know the car will slow down for them.

Isn't lane departure to warn you when you've strayed from your lane? I don't think the idea behind it is for blind lane changes. they serve the same purpose IMO. To warn you and act when you're not paying attention.
I believe you are right about the lane departure... but I also could have sworn I read about a blind spot detection type of system.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
I believe you are right about the lane departure... but I also could have sworn I read about a blind spot detection type of system.
There is. Volvo and Mazda both have it and I believe Ford is beginning to introduce it on its models. Basically there is a warning that sounds and a lighted signal in the mirrors if you attempt to make a lane change when a vehicle is in the blind spot covered by the sensor.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Generally speaking, I enjoy the 'advanced features' in todays cars. I use cruise all the time as ~70% of my driving is highway, so I definitely wouldn't mind dynamic cruise control. I wouldn't mind keyless entry/start. And I swear I'll never go back to halogen headlights (if anyone considers Xenon as an advanced feature). Some of the other things like lane departure and whatnot....eh. It's hard to say.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
There is. Volvo and Mazda both have it and I believe Ford is beginning to introduce it on its models. Basically there is a warning that sounds and a lighted signal in the mirrors if you attempt to make a lane change when a vehicle is in the blind spot covered by the sensor.
Audi has the blind spot protection as well now.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

I wasn't suggesting they don't exist. Just saying the point of it is to warn you, not do the looking for you.

Lane departure systems actually make it so you do not need to check your blind spot to change lanes... meaning people would then be relying on that feature to change lanes instead of properly checking themselves. Apples and Oranges IMO...
I was responding to this part of your post. That kind of sounds like auto makers are saying don't worry about looking, we'll make sure there's nothing there. Either way all those features make for lazier drivers but we may as well embrace them all because there's no stopping any of them.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Hmm....some features that I have or have not had...

See, i'm not really so spoiled. I like the car more for it's function, not as much for it's features.

Let's say my GTI: Leather is nice, do I need it? no. Heated seats are great, I use them all the time, mostly because It's annoying to be warm all over except your ass, and I also use it for the heat it radiates to sooth a sore back. Sunroof, I probably opened a handful of times, I can live without that. CD Changer, now with all the options you have in music listening, I barely listen to cd's anymore. Never used cruise control before in it either. If there was one thing I'd love to have, it would be memory seats. I drive my car 99.9999% of them time, but there are always those times where my brother needs to borrow it or something, and whether they actually adjusted the seats or not, it always feels like it was adjusted by someone else, but it's all in my head!

My RDX, I share with my wife (but she drives it most of the time unless we are in it together, than I drive), memory seats is key. I used cruise control in it for the first time this month in my NY to FL and FL back to NY road trip. Sunroof, again, I don't really use it, but my wife loves it. She likes that airy feeling that comes with having a sunroof. We had an X3 before the RDX, and she loved the panoramic sunroof.

Keyless ignition, Had it on my G35x and FX, definately a convenience but something I can live without. Laser guided cruise control, FX had it, nice novelty, but it was very sensitive and sometimes intrusive. It actually annoys the hell out of me now, as I drive with my V1 Radar and the FX's with the laser cruise control makes my V1 light up. Anytime it goes off and I don't see a cop, I look for an FX, and there's usually one behind me or on the other side of the road in opposite traffic. t's annoying... Night vision, another cool feature but I think it's a waste. Heated and cooled seats, I don't have, could probably live without, but use it a lot of times i'm in a car that has it.

I read in a magazine a little while back that the average "typical" car has anywhere up to 50 computer/control modules in a car to make various things work. The 2003-2008 BMW 750 had something like 70-80 computers, but the new 7 series due out has over 100 computers to make stuff work.

I feel bad for the technicians when something goes wrong in that car!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
You can even control the front passenger's power seat from the rear.
That's nothing new. I remember that being available on BMW E34's
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I was responding to this part of your post. That kind of sounds like auto makers are saying don't worry about looking, we'll make sure there's nothing there. Either way all those features make for lazier drivers but we may as well embrace them all because there's no stopping any of them.
That was my point... I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying manufacturers are saying don't worry about looking... I was saying people are going to get way too lazy and start relying on the sensors instead of looking for themselves...
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
When i had my 05 rl, i certainly appreciated the bluetooth/phone synchronization, navigation, voice controls, automated A/C, adjusting xenons, etc. However, not having them in my 911 doesn't make me miss them. Well aside from the nav system when i've been lost a couple times All i really care about are power windows, adjusting passenger mirror for backing into parking stalls, and xenons. Power adaptive sport seats are key too but not invaluable. One feature i am intrigued by is the porsche limited slip differential. I think that's a technological advancement which would be key if i ever decided to track.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

^ I would imagine that most people who went from an RL to a P-car don't miss anything...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
That's nothing new. I remember that being available on BMW E34's
eh, its new to me. I remember when I was younger and didn't know much about cars, I saw a BMW that had auto-closing doors, not sure if it was aftermarket or not, but it was cool. The driver walked away and the door slowly went "ssssshhp"
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i'm old school in that i can do without all the modern conveniences and technology. i don't even like leather seats and i've never used my heated seats. with the exception of abs, i'm not into tech at all.

it's hard to find a car that drives you now-a-days. today, you have to drive the car and always be aware of sensors/buttons/beeps/etc ... it's really annoying.

can't wait to purchase an s2000
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
You know what has spoiled me is wheel controls. I use mine all the time I really love them. Whenever I get in someones car that doesn't have them I go to hit the button and than realize its not there.
That is a big

I've been in Florida now for about 3 weeks dealing with a family issue, so I rented a minivan (for carrying 7 people and luggage). It does not have the steering wheel controls for the radio....Argh... Once you have them (my Saber had it, and my Legacy does), you don't want to be without them.

My Volvo in Europe had heated seats (cloth, not leather). That was the best feature in the winter time.

Once you have it and use it, you will want and even demand it in future.