What car companies are overrated and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
BMW is overrated, yeah you heard me! Everyone always talks about them as a great car company and such. I like the M3, M5, and 7 series, but to me they aren't the ultimate driving machine, more like the ultimate snob machine.

I personally think a Porsche 911 Carrerra is the ultimate driving machine. I drove a 530i at the Taste of Lexus last yr and it was fast, but it wasn't as fun to drive as the Mercedes E class and the GS430 that were also there to drive. Everyone complains about the interior of Infinitis, but take a look at BMW interiors they're ugly and cheap looking too with the ugly amber orange lighting!!

Yes you get a wow factor and snob appeal ooh they have a BMW and free maintenance for 4 years, but after the warranty expires the cost to maintain a BMW goes skyhigh and the reliablity issues aren't good. You guys also know that BMW is just a common car in Europe and not considered really a luxury marque like in other parts of the world. So a big to BMW, you're overrated!!!

I bet the BMW lovers are going to say that Honda/Acura is overrated or Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti are also overrated, but when your BMW is stuck in the road with reliablity problems or expensive to maintain after the warranty expires, us Japanese car owners are going to see you crying and regretting you got a BMW.
I second that

I've driven the newer 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, hands down nice cars, but you can get so much more for your money in something else.....
Old 04-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by bigman
M3's are way overated. The owners are dumbfounded when i kick their asses, or they get their doors blown off by an SRT-4.

You can make a FWD turbo car go fast in a straight line, and probably on the highway.

Here is a tip, sign up for a HPDE at Watkins Glen with the BMW club. (I'm not playing favorites, but they do have the best instruction program). As you're trying to get around the track fighting torquesteer, take notice at the 80's and 90's BMW's that you will have to point-by.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikes96TL03CLS
I second that

I've driven the newer 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, hands down nice cars, but you can get so much more for your money in something else.....

like what? Esp. in comparison to the 7 series
Old 04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Racer

BMW is not overrated, it's just expensive. I think Lexus is overrate, it's still just a toyota but 10 times more expensive
Old 04-11-2006, 03:17 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
BMW is not overrated, it's just expensive. I think Lexus is overrate, it's still just a toyota but 10 times more expensive
i think you're overrated.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by haiduc
On some levels I agree with you, but for what ammounts to different, educated, reasons.
There are snobs that drive every make and model of every car. You sound like a Honda/Acura snob right now.

Some might agree with you. I would lean towards the GT3, or the GT2. Some people will say that an 88 M3 is the ultimate machine. Others will tout the Ferrari Daytona's. It's all depends on viewpoint.

If you think that a 4,000lb+ sedan with a 3.0 inline six that has less than 270hp is "fast," do I have news for you. Driving a car around at a max of 45mph on what ammounts to a 20-second "autox," is not going to get you a valid impression. Neither is the fact that the car was most likely a base-model, where the Lexus had the bigger motor, and sport package to boot. Marketing > you.

I think Audi's have awesome interiors overall. Please elaborate on "cheap." I doubt the materials were of poor quality. Maybe the design was not to your liking, but it sounds like you are grasping at straws here. I guess if you don't like it, it must automatically be crap to everyone else.

When I got my car, I didn't buy if for the wow or the snob factor. I bought it because of the handling, power delivery, silky-smoothness of the inline six, and, that was before I really knew anything about the car.

I bought my 1996 and it didn't have a warranty. I have not had any major issues with it. Nothing had caught fire, no $2000 repair bills. I have replaced certian parts, but the bill for those has been less than $1000, for the past two years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Europe contains capitalist countries where import/export is a big business. When a country makes something of good value, and people like it, they will buy large ammounts of it. The concept of economics can't be that difficult to grasp, can it?

I wouldn't assume to say the Japanese cars are overrated. They are excelent cars. Not all of them have the elements that I looked for.

Again, my 328 has not left me on the side of the road wishing I had something else.

I think you need to put down your bong, step off your soapbox, and re-evaluate how you come to conclusions.

p.s. maybe a BMW isn't for you. Maybe the BMW community isn't for you. There is no shame in it. It's certianly not for everyone. (thank God for that)
Yeah the BMW community isn't for me. Maybe I am starting to become an Acura and Infiniti snob, but not a Lexus snob for some reason
Old 04-11-2006, 04:16 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
On some levels I agree with you, but for what ammounts to different, educated, reasons.
There are snobs that drive every make and model of every car. You sound like a Honda/Acura snob right now.

Some might agree with you. I would lean towards the GT3, or the GT2. Some people will say that an 88 M3 is the ultimate machine. Others will tout the Ferrari Daytona's. It's all depends on viewpoint.

If you think that a 4,000lb+ sedan with a 3.0 inline six that has less than 270hp is "fast," do I have news for you. Driving a car around at a max of 45mph on what ammounts to a 20-second "autox," is not going to get you a valid impression. Neither is the fact that the car was most likely a base-model, where the Lexus had the bigger motor, and sport package to boot. Marketing > you.

I think Audi's have awesome interiors overall. Please elaborate on "cheap." I doubt the materials were of poor quality. Maybe the design was not to your liking, but it sounds like you are grasping at straws here. I guess if you don't like it, it must automatically be crap to everyone else.

When I got my car, I didn't buy if for the wow or the snob factor. I bought it because of the handling, power delivery, silky-smoothness of the inline six, and, that was before I really knew anything about the car.

I bought my 1996 and it didn't have a warranty. I have not had any major issues with it. Nothing had caught fire, no $2000 repair bills. I have replaced certian parts, but the bill for those has been less than $1000, for the past two years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Europe contains capitalist countries where import/export is a big business. When a country makes something of good value, and people like it, they will buy large ammounts of it. The concept of economics can't be that difficult to grasp, can it?

I wouldn't assume to say the Japanese cars are overrated. They are excelent cars. Not all of them have the elements that I looked for.

Again, my 328 has not left me on the side of the road wishing I had something else.

I think you need to put down your bong, step off your soapbox, and re-evaluate how you come to conclusions.

p.s. maybe a BMW isn't for you. Maybe the BMW community isn't for you. There is no shame in it. It's certianly not for everyone. (thank God for that)
Old 04-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
My 98 GS-R is still the best car I've ever had.

My 97 gs-r sedan is so far the best I've had.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can make a FWD turbo car go fast in a straight line, and probably on the highway.

Here is a tip, sign up for a HPDE at Watkins Glen with the BMW club. (I'm not playing favorites, but they do have the best instruction program). As you're trying to get around the track fighting torquesteer, take notice at the 80's and 90's BMW's that you will have to point-by.
Bigman has a Trans Am. It runs high 11s, but I think he knows he doesnt stand much of a chance against an M3 on a road course.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chiawei
I think Honda/Acura is overrated.
Utter crap...

I'm not BMW hater, and in fact feel that they build some outstanding cars ala M3, new, (and some not so great ones cough...z4...cough).

But IN GENERAL, your experiences aside, BMW's have subpar reliability when compared with Honda/Acura. A quick look at any major automobile survey will tell you that.

And to say that Honda/Acura is overrated is just plain stupid. Have you ever driven even a newer civic, specifically 06+. MILES AND MILES ahead of the competition. Fantastic interior, very good quality materials inside, and superb fit and finish. Not to mention that the drivetrain is uber smooth. Don't even get me started on the SI which is one hot, hot ride. An 06 Accord's interior would shame that of an eqivalent camry. And an s2000 would shame sports cars twice its price. So how is Honda overrated?

Let's focus on Acura. The TL gives you damn near every feature you could ever want, and smooth powerful engine, and a good balance between ride and handling. Sure at 10/10ths some FWD dynamics might rear their head, ala torque steer, but most of the individuals who purchase these vehicles would A. not drive at 10/10ths and B. prefer the advantage of FWD in inclement weather over RWD. I guess that all these things are reasons why its the "#1" best selling luxury sedan in the country (or so Acura claims!)

Ever driven an RL? the "does it need a V8" debate aside (I personally think that a car that can run to 60 in the low 6's is plenty fast enough and I've driven one) the car has impeccable fit and finish and again. like the TL is loaded to the gills. It might not be selling well, but that doesn't mean that the vehicle is overrated. An Escalade (previous gen) sold extremely well but it was a piece of shit.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
Well i'm a big bmw fan, but man I think the issue has just been beaten to death. I will say that there are a number of BMW fans who will follow the company off a cliff if the situation came up. They did earn those fans through hard work in the 70's - today, but the m3 has gained a bit of a stigma of the rich kid's undeserved graduation present in many parts of the country, and for good reason. I have worked on a number of beemers and they are damn fine machines though.

Jaguar. It seems that they got allong for 20 years on the name alone. I know 3 people who got a new S type because they always wanted a jag in the 60's. They all have gone on to different cars now. One to a 95 mercedes 300e, which is wearing like iron in comparison. I think though that they are going allong with the rest of ford and re thinking some things, so hopefully things will get better for them.

For the most part I think it's preference. Mercedes may verry well make the best couch on wheels in our time. It probably deserves that praise, but i'm not a fan. Bmw and acura appeal to me (an odd couple).

Many times though it is hard to pick on an entire car company. I like what caddy is doing with many of their cars like the cts and the whole v serries, and beleive they get the priase they deserve. The Escalade however is just a big slab of mehhh.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
Utter crap...

I'm not BMW hater, and in fact feel that they build some outstanding cars ala M3, new, (and some not so great ones cough...z4...cough).

But IN GENERAL, your experiences aside, BMW's have subpar reliability when compared with Honda/Acura. A quick look at any major automobile survey will tell you that.

And to say that Honda/Acura is overrated is just plain stupid. Have you ever driven even a newer civic, specifically 06+. MILES AND MILES ahead of the competition. Fantastic interior, very good quality materials inside, and superb fit and finish. Not to mention that the drivetrain is uber smooth. Don't even get me started on the SI which is one hot, hot ride. An 06 Accord's interior would shame that of an eqivalent camry. And an s2000 would shame sports cars twice its price. So how is Honda overrated?

Let's focus on Acura. The TL gives you damn near every feature you could ever want, and smooth powerful engine, and a good balance between ride and handling. Sure at 10/10ths some FWD dynamics might rear their head, ala torque steer, but most of the individuals who purchase these vehicles would A. not drive at 10/10ths and B. prefer the advantage of FWD in inclement weather over RWD. I guess that all these things are reasons why its the "#1" best selling luxury sedan in the country (or so Acura claims!)

Ever driven an RL? the "does it need a V8" debate aside (I personally think that a car that can run to 60 in the low 6's is plenty fast enough and I've driven one) the car has impeccable fit and finish and again. like the TL is loaded to the gills. It might not be selling well, but that doesn't mean that the vehicle is overrated. An Escalade (previous gen) sold extremely well but it was a piece of shit.

So what is wrong with my experience? So are you telling me that is so happen that all of my honda has not been mechanical sound is not relevant?

BTW, i did drove the new Odyssey, TL and RL. I still stand by my comment. I seriously considered dumping my sienna when the new Odyssey came out. But the interior quality is cheap. That was confirmed when i went to SF autoshow, when i saw the plus one seat was pretty torn up after one week of display. Look at odyclub.com and see how many quality issues the new odyssey has.

Honda has been good at dressing up interior. But after period of use, the long term durability is simply not there. Fit and finish has gotten worse. Any long term honda owner would tell you that. My 92 accord has excellent fit and finish. But through out time, each generation of new honda design simply has not shown the fit and finish that it used to have. Just read the post above.

My wife's 2000 TL is by far one of the worst car i have ever owned. My M3 and 530i all were abused hard and with exception on M3 passenger seat rattle. It never exhibited the amount of unsolvale rattle on the TL.

In addition, what does interior has to do with poor mechanical issue i experienced?

Typical honda owner does not take car out to track or mod their car to hell. My 530i never overheated or died on me despite me S/C it to 8PSi. Nor it required me to replace brakes because I can't drive through mojave desert during summer.

This is where the quality of german car is. Just because you don't see it or experience it, does not mean it does not exists. I can careless about softer plastic or fake wood. Those are not true quality. It may be pleasing to the eye and to the touch. But does it make car drives better, more mechanically reliable?

The answer is no. Like i have said, all of my honda had mechanical issues. To me honda/acura are overrated. Simply so far it has not lived up to its perceived quality.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
And an s2000 would shame sports cars twice its price. So how is Honda overrated?
You lost me here.

In the $60,000 range, you basically have the Corvette, Boxster S, M4 roadster, and the M3. So could you please explain to me which one of those 4 the S2000 shames?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think Honda is overrated. My Accord feels great, and my brother's 2001 Acura 1.7EL with 209 000 km on it drives really nice, and we've only had one problem with the EL, and that was a blown speaker.

The only thing I don't trust about Honda is their automatic transmissions. That's why I bought a 6MT Accord.

I thing Jaguar is overrated. A similar Lexus or Infiniti is much more worth it and you get better interiors in both, along with better handling and more response.

BMW is not overrated. Just overpriced (IMO).

To me, Audi is overrated. They just seem silly shaped to me and most of them are slower than V6 family sedans like the Altima, Accord, and Camry (07). I only see the smaller engine options driving around cause the larger ones are overpriced. The A6 3.0 quattro is a damn slow car, for the price.

Mercedes-Benz is overrated for reliability, but not overrated as far as being a status symbol. It does that just fine.

Volvo is overrated. They're not the safest cars on the road anymore like their reputation would suggest. And they're boring. Yawn.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
I think this thread is over-rated.

I think the opinions of the thread starter are unfounded.

I think all cars today are over-rated. None of the manufacturers are anywhere close to the standards the ideals and quality of even 10 years ago...though some are closer then others.

I think people who feel the need to constantly bash bimmers are just trying to figure out how to compensate for not being able to afford one (though I do bash the interior design of the new 5..and exterior design...I give them their due credit in drivablity.)

Finally, I think this waste of bandwidth should be locked.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
The Third Ball

And to say that Honda/Acura is overrated is just plain stupid. Have you ever driven even a newer civic, specifically 06+. MILES AND MILES ahead of the competition. Fantastic interior, very good quality materials inside, and superb fit and finish. Not to mention that the drivetrain is uber smooth. Don't even get me started on the SI which is one hot, hot ride. An 06 Accord's interior would shame that of an eqivalent camry. And an s2000 would shame sports cars twice its price. So how is Honda overrated?.
Idiotic statement.

While I do LOVE the new Civic, and would own an Si....you are dead wrong.

I was very surprised with how wobbly and flimsy the center console felt...where my girlfriends 99 civic ex is rock solid inside.

Like I said before....NONE of the automakers are as good as they once were. Blame it on inflation, cost of materials, greed, whatever you want...but this is the only statement in this stupid thread that holds any real truth.

You want a good thread...talk about underrated....Hyundai is sneaking up the charts lately.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cob3683
You lost me here.

In the $60,000 range, you basically have the Corvette, Boxster S, M4 roadster, and the M3. So could you please explain to me which one of those 4 the S2000 shames?

Thanks in advance...
Ok, so i should have added "at the time of its launch and uptill as recently as a year ago"

Case in point: A Boxster, especially a non S model would have had a tough time keeping up with an S2000 not just on dynamics but also on interior quality (the previous gen boxster, i'm sure you'll agree had a so-so interior). The same goes for a Z3, and a Z4 2.5i. My uncle's 3.2TT roadster costs close to 50k fully loaded and can't match the s2000 move for move. So yeah, slight exageration by sayin "double" but you get my drift.

And this might be personal opinion, but I don't think that some of the cars you mentioned, especially the corvette, could match the driving experience and nimbleness, or even the handling of an s2000. Just my on that one.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I think all cars today are over-rated.

It all goes back the the "vehicles are a bad investment" agrument... I just need somethign to get me back an forth to work.. But, did I buy utilitarian transportation, nope... why ?? Cause, I'm a car guy and not an accountant

Sometimes I wonder why I bought a 30K car (that worth 15K in trade) instead of buying somethings else (like a civic)...

Ah, that's the rub, we all like over-rated vehicles, and will spend the money to buy the over-rated vehicle of our choice... Damn the torpedos, full steam ahead...

edit: My CL is my first new car, and I'm still debating on weither or not I'm going to buy new again, or buy used (letting someone else take the big depreciation hit)... We'll see...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 PM
The Third Ball

Its funny....I really think threads like these put the spotlights on the real morons running around here.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bimmers aren't overrated. it's overpriced, but not overrated.

however bimmer owners are overrated.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, so i should have added "at the time of its launch and uptill as recently as a year ago"

Case in point: A Boxster, especially a non S model would have had a tough time keeping up with an S2000 not just on dynamics but also on interior quality (the previous gen boxster, i'm sure you'll agree had a so-so interior). The same goes for a Z3, and a Z4 2.5i. My uncle's 3.2TT roadster costs close to 50k fully loaded and can't match the s2000 move for move. So yeah, slight exageration by sayin "double" but you get my drift.

And this might be personal opinion, but I don't think that some of the cars you mentioned, especially the corvette, could match the driving experience and nimbleness, or even the handling of an s2000. Just my on that one.
I agree with a lot of that. The "double the price" comment just caught me a little bit. For under $40,000, the S2000 is hard to beat. You could actually argue up to $50,000, but anything over that and the competition steps up it's game big time.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chungkopi
bimmers aren't overrated. it's overpriced, but not overrated.

however bimmer owners are overrated.
nope. it just shows how much you lack in maturity.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I will dissagree with you. The Z3 3.0 sports and Z3 M roadster can easily give S2000 run for its money.

S2000 is a great roadster. But this does not mean as a whole, the honda lineup is so superior nor a tastement that honda is not overrated in terms of its perceived quality.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:59 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by chiawei
nope. it just shows how much you lack in maturity.
No, he is correct.

I'd say about 80% of all bimmers owners are royal pricks when they get within 5ft of their car, or have thier keys out.

Go ahead and call me immature...I used to own one.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Pontiacs are overrated, my dad should get a TL.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
No, he is correct.

I'd say about 80% of all bimmers owners are royal pricks when they get within 5ft of their car, or have thier keys out.

Go ahead and call me immature...I used to own one.
I have my keys out when I get within 5ft of my car, but that's because I don't have keyless entry.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone up top mentioned cadillacs..i agree with what they said. cadillac is doing great things with the CTS and V series, right now the CTS-V is one of my dream cars. but forget about the Escalades..yuck.

I think audis are overrated, they're built for the shop, plain and simple.

Ive owned an audi, 2 acura legends, and driven an '04 5 series, mini cooper s, a variety of VWs, volvos, and a peugeot (spelling?). i just purchased a 2003 Acura CL type S today with a 6 speed transmission. and i have to say that out of all the cars ive driven, the audis and VWs were the least fun to drive and the audis were constantly in the shop. mini cooper s is a great car, really fun to drive, and my dads early 90s peugeot was really fun to drive as well, too bad they dont sell em in the US.

But in the end i keep coming back to Acura, i just love em all in all. especially the legend, i think that was great car in its time and still great now. And just a little fact i learned while reading the other day... im sure you've all heard of Danica Patrick, in her rookie season she was the only (if not one of very few) driver on the circuit using a Honda motor. After that season, every single driver in the entire circuit switched to Honda motors. i think its a good thing because the playing field will now be even.

EDIT: I will however give audis this, they are absolutely AMAZING in the snow. in my 1993 audi 90 quattro i had hakks and i could drive through snow 3 feet deep and be able to stop, pull off the road, back out onto the road again, and drive off without getting stuck once. ive never felt more in control during serious snow than i was in the audis ive driven.

Last edited by GuddsCLtypeS; 04-12-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 AM
We dont love these hoes

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Yes, the SRT-4 kicks a lot of ass.

duuuude, its a turbo
Old 04-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I went from a BMW to Lexus, and as far as fun to drive, the GS400 can't compete with the BMW even with an upgraded suspension. I never understood why kids say they're underrated ((especially the ones who have only driven a BMW once or twice) I would say a 545i (or 550i)is pretty quick. Calling a 530i "fast" just shows how much you know.

And it took about 15 minutes to do an oil change on my 540i. You really have to be stupid (aka, not know how to fill up windshield fluid) to not be able to change your oil on the BMW. I know it's personal preference, but saying that they're underrated and then saying the other two (probably quietest and most boring sedans) are more fun to drive is ridiculous.

Although I have to agree that the Lexus is a lot more reliable and comfortable. Have yet to see a BMW reach 300,000 with just regular maintnance.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Banned

It's ok I almost bought a beamer, was VERY close to buying an 03 330CI, an amazing car. The car I buy after my CL-S I believe will be a BMW 3 series coupe. A friend of mine just bought an 04 330CI, he LOVES it, best car he's ever owned.....
Old 04-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FastAcura
Although I have to agree that the Lexus is a lot more reliable and comfortable. Have yet to see a BMW reach 300,000 with just regular maintnance.
I know a number of BMWs out there running around with 200k, 300k and I think even one has 400k just in my local BMW CCA chapter.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:12 AM
The Third Ball

i'll disagree with the audi comment. I LOVED driving the 05 S4 and the 01 S4 Avant I tried to buy...I even liked the A3 a lot...though it was more docile.

I will admit that 97 2.8 A4 I drove was very boring...but not their S line.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all the BMW's i've driven have felt great. But i haven't liked the styling of any of their new models.
i think mercedes are far more overrated than BMW. But there are those few people that have to own a BMW just because it's a BMW. You do pay a lot for that badge and that does bother me.

I think BMW's are overrated by asian girls, but not by most car people.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
I know a number of BMWs out there running around with 200k, 300k and I think even one has 400k just in my local BMW CCA chapter.
I'm sure there are, but I doubt they've gotten there with just regular maintnance. For example, on the 540i, the radiator goes after about every 70K miles, and my friend had radiator problems in his E36 M3. Most people drive those cars like they're stolen, it's hard to not break something after that many miles.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm sure there are, but I doubt they've gotten there with just regular maintnance. For example, on the 540i, the radiator goes after about every 70K miles, and my friend had radiator problems in his E36 M3. Most people drive those cars like they're stolen, it's hard to not break something after that many miles.
Ahh.. the majic exploding radiator.

That can easily be fixed by replacing it with a PWR with the aluminium endtanks. The E36 ones get weak at the neck and then break. Sucks, but it happens. The stock radiator is less than $150.

Yes, the cars do get driven like they're stolen, but that doesn't break things on them. For example: Local friend has a 95 325is (original owner). The car has 225,000 miles on it. It's gets redlined every day. It still put down 185 at the rear wheels on a dynojet. There are lots of club-racing cars that have over 150k on the odometer, and still run fine.

As long as the motor is maintained, the driveline is solid. I actually think the cars like to be abused.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I

Haha, it cost me close to $1000 to get mine replaced at the BMW dealership.

And like I said, I'm sure that there are some that will run up high milage, but something majorish always seems to have been replaced.

And BMW > Lexus when it comes to fun. Getting back into my 540i (that I sold to a friend) and going through the gears puts a big grin on my face. The cars basically beg you to drive them like Michael Schumacher.

Ahh.. the majic exploding radiator.

That can easily be fixed by replacing it with a PWR with the aluminium endtanks. The E36 ones get weak at the neck and then break. Sucks, but it happens. The stock radiator is less than $150.

Yes, the cars do get driven like they're stolen, but that doesn't break things on them. For example: Local friend has a 95 325is (original owner). The car has 225,000 miles on it. It's gets redlined every day. It still put down 185 at the rear wheels on a dynojet. There are lots of club-racing cars that have over 150k on the odometer, and still run fine.

As long as the motor is maintained, the driveline is solid. I actually think the cars like to be abused.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Haha, it cost me close to $1000 to get mine replaced at the BMW dealership.

And like I said, I'm sure that there are some that will run up high milage, but something majorish always seems to have been replaced.

And BMW > Lexus when it comes to fun. Getting back into my 540i (that I sold to a friend) and going through the gears puts a big grin on my face. The cars basically beg you to drive them like Michael Schumacher.
Mass anal bleeding ensues if you get out of warranty work done by the dealer. There are many independents that will use better parts and charge less.

My maintenance schedule has gone like this.

@ 50k - Upgraded Rear shock mounts. (from Ground Control ) $70.
Trans mounts, stock ones run about $40 max.

@ 80k - New waterpump, t-stat, housing for T-stat. $100.
New front control arms w/ balljoints pressed in. $300.

@100k - Going to replace the radiator with aforementioned aftermarket. $400.

There, that is almost $1000 worth of parts including the radiator. The ownership cost fun ratio is good though.