Went to the Bimmer Dealer the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 01:48 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Went to the Bimmer Dealer the other day...

Wanted to check the new models...give them a fair shot. Did not drive anything, sat sat inside and played around.

#1 X3 - Outside - Car is ugly, what else can be said? Unpainted plastic bumpers do not belong on a car like this, especially at their prices. rear taillight look silly. And of course the bangledized headlights...

Inside - Surprisingly not bad. Still pretty functional, driver oriented. fairly roomy. Not teh greatest interior but not the worst. The dash is all plastic, which is sad cause you can plainly see where they should have used some kind of trim be it wood or aluminum.

Still wouldnt buy one.

#2 7 Series - Outside - One of the few bangle designs I acutally like. Car is very aggressive and mean. It says, I own the road...move...

Inside - The one thing I dont like right up front....stalk mounted shifter....other then...plush and roomy. Tons of storage. Layout is pretty nice....idrive sucks.

#3 5 Series (main purpose of our trip) - Outside - Ugly, bangle has completely ruined this once classy design.

Inside - no better, no longer is this a bimmer. the interior is not very functional, not nice to look at, again ruined everything the 5 once was. The doors, the downward slope of the armrest was actually comfortable in relation to the wheel....it ends there. The door handle sticks out so if youre resting your arm you get jabbed by it. The controls for teh windows are up and too much out of the way and are turned at an odd angle that is not natural nor comfortable to for your arm to turn to operate. The center dash...boring. Small screen in the middle the blah looking cd player under it, the stupid little storage shelf...The the armrest...Looks god awful. Has this swoop around design where it "artiscally" tapers off and runs down the side of the passenger of the console. Not comfortable for the passenger. and completely makes a waste of what could have been good storage for teh center console (not that bmw has ever been good with center console storage.) Cup holders...located on teh passenger side IN THE DASH...TACKY! as far as function goes, they are better then the cupholders in the last gen bimmer (barely usable.) But they too are cheap plastic, and shallow, one tight turn and it will go flying. The driver side cup holder swings out from the passenger towards the driver, kinda hovering over the center console/passegers left knee. These feel cheap too as in I could puch the release buttons all day for them and 1 out of 5 pushes they might actually release. felt like a very breakable item. Oh and now to the newer idrive...terrible. Horribly unintuitive and poor user feedback. the dial use worked well, but using it as a side to side/ up and down toggle...you had have to push it about 10 times to get it to respond and move. Also huge delay.....there shouldnt be a delay in this "state of art system." Menus were silly, youd have to sit there and spend time trying to figure what gets you where...its like the system was completley rushed, idrive blows.

The last gen 5 series is still the best design and interior wise.

finally #4 E46 M3 ....sat in these cars MANY times....love it, classic, so well layed out. So good looking...Its gonna be a sad day when bangle ruins this car....the changes to the bumper they made on 05 3 series already makes it look stupid.....sigh

that is all.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome review
Old 07-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Weird cuz i did the same thing yesterday (had to pick up somthing).

The 5series interior looks soooo much nicer in black, but still dont think its nice. BUt i would still buy one.

I hate the 7series, always have and always will.

I actually like the X3, drop the price by 5k and it would rock.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice info there.

Agree with you on the X3. From the outside...
Old 07-08-2004, 04:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
The 5series interior looks soooo much nicer in black, but still dont think its nice. BUt i would still buy one.
I'm torn, technically from steering to suspension to engine this car is amazing...But a really well designed and layed out interior is key for me. I'd get the M5 only cause its a beaast but I think I would pass on a regualr 5 series....

My freind is in this dilemma right now...his lease on his 540 6psd is up next feb. He doesnt know if he wants a new 5 (he doesnt like the looks or interior either) and same gen M5 as his current 5, or bite the bullet and go smaller with a e46 M3. Oh the horrible choice he must make

No 6 series on the show room.....though i did one parked a couple weeks ago....still cant stand the fucking grill or headlights, but its pretty nice in person....decent interior.