Weird Warning Lights: '99 Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Warning Lights: '99 Accord V6

I was driving down the highway the other day when several of the warning lights on the dash of my 1999 Accord Coupe EX-V6 came on. The battery, brake, and all door/trunk/hood open lights came on. I was driving at a constant speed when it happened...felt nothing strange, heard nothing strange.

About a minute later, I came to the end of the higwhay and caught a red light. After 30 seconds or so stopped at the light, all the warning lights went off. Still felt, saw, heard nothing unusual from the car.

The next time I started the car (and every time since), however, a new high-pitched whine comes from the engine compartment. The noise seems to go away, or at least get overwhelmed by engine/road noise, once I'm up to about 30mph.

I'm wondering if it's some sort of alternator issue. Anyone experienced something like this? FWIW, my Accord has about 92k miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by planman
I was driving down the highway the other day when several of the warning lights on the dash of my 1999 Accord Coupe EX-V6 came on. The battery, brake, and all door/trunk/hood open lights came on. I was driving at a constant speed when it happened...felt nothing strange, heard nothing strange.

About a minute later, I came to the end of the higwhay and caught a red light. After 30 seconds or so stopped at the light, all the warning lights went off. Still felt, saw, heard nothing unusual from the car.

The next time I started the car (and every time since), however, a new high-pitched whine comes from the engine compartment. The noise seems to go away, or at least get overwhelmed by engine/road noise, once I'm up to about 30mph.

I'm wondering if it's some sort of alternator issue. Anyone experienced something like this? FWIW, my Accord has about 92k miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sounds alot like a loose wire. Check your battery cable first or maybe even the main relay or fuse
Old 08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Did You ever figure out a cause for this problem?

I just got back from an 8-day vacation to find my 99 accord V6 exhibiting identical symptoms to yours (on ignition, brake, battery, door lights stay on - strange hum/noise on idle). Also, moisture comes to mind since it seems to have rained (Hurricane Charlie) quite a bit while the car sat idle. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Instructor

maybe the alternator is going?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BdasAcuraTL
maybe the alternator is going?
thats what i was thinking. check the batt voltage while the car is running it should be around 14v. if it is around 12 then your alt is not charging.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sheldavie
Did You ever figure out a cause for this problem?

I just got back from an 8-day vacation to find my 99 accord V6 exhibiting identical symptoms to yours (on ignition, brake, battery, door lights stay on - strange hum/noise on idle). Also, moisture comes to mind since it seems to have rained (Hurricane Charlie) quite a bit while the car sat idle. Any thoughts?
Actually, I didn't. I traded my Accord for a '04 TL in late June. The "check engine" light was on when I took it to the Acura dealer. They appraised it and brought it back to me with the light cleared...I assume they plugged it in to look for diagnostic codes. Whatever came up, they didn't seem worried about it because it never came up in negotiations. Plus, I think I got a (mostly) fair deal on the trade & purchase.

I thought maybe it was the alternator, but never had it checked out. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Advanced

my brother had the same thing happen. I took it in, they said it was the alternator.